Psi-Stalker?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Natalya

Psi-Stalker?

Unread post by Natalya »

No one in our group has ever played a Psi-Stalker before, neither of the GMs have really ever used it either. So (being the first for our group), I'm full of dumb questions.

First, the book said that during feeding, a Psi-Stalker will drain half of the ISP from a psychic. But it's unclear whether that counts as nourishment or if it's a side effect from grabbing the PPE. How do you all play it? Does ISP count as nourishment? Is it at a 1 to 1 rate, 2 to 1 rate, or what?

Second, how strong is that predatory instinct? Is it completely overwhelming, or can it be "channeled" into hobbies? After feeding, is the predation instinct lessened for a few days, or is it constant? How hard is it to not kill the prey? (A necessity for the game I'm in.)

Third, the book said that a little bit of food and water per week is all that is needed. How about if the person gets more than that? Is it detrimental, or would the Psi-Stalker merely have to hit the gym a little more often to work it off?

Fourth, what if they have access to more than the 80-100 PPE needed per week? Would feeding several times be detrimental? Would it be beneficial? Would it store up for lean periods, or be just a nice snack while it lasts?

I'm not necessarily looking for book rulings. If there are gray areas, then how people have interpreted it is also good. Tips and tricks would also be nice. Plus, if anyone else has done what we've done and imported the RCC into a modern, pre-Rifts setting, information on how you made it work would also be great.

Thank you.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Good questions. I'm assuming you will play a "civilized" Psi-Stalker.

1) The ISP is not nourishment, just a side effect.

2) The instinct is strong, but can be controlled. Mostly up to you and how you wish to play it. I would assume the instinct is lessoned after feeding, but returns shortly.

3) I always felt that Stalkers simply aren't hungry after eating the required amount of food, and would just pass on anything further.

4) Consuming more PPE than the needed 80-100 could have anynumber of effects. The character could gain weight (it is nourishment after all), they might get sloppy/lazy, might lose some of their drive... It's all speculation.

I think you've got a lot of room to play this character however you want to. Just make sure you're on the same page as your GM so you don't get any surprises.

Also, if you haven't seen it, the Lone Star book had additional info on Psi-Stalkers in the back.

EDIT - Depending on how strict you GM is, he may let your character just "pop out" as needed for a quick kill/feeding and then rejoin the group after a couple hours absence.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Sentinel
Palladin

Re: Psi-Stalker?

Unread post by Sentinel »

Natalya wrote:No one in our group has ever played a Psi-Stalker before, neither of the GMs have really ever used it either. So (being the first for our group), I'm full of dumb questions.
We'll let you know when you ask a truly dumb question. You haven't yet.

First, the book said that during feeding, a Psi-Stalker will drain half of the ISP from a psychic. But it's unclear whether that counts as nourishment or if it's a side effect from grabbing the PPE. How do you all play it? Does ISP count as nourishment? Is it at a 1 to 1 rate, 2 to 1 rate, or what?
ISP is just a side effect: it isn't nourishment enough for the Psi-Stalker.

Second, how strong is that predatory instinct? Is it completely overwhelming, or can it be "channeled" into hobbies? After feeding, is the predation instinct lessened for a few days, or is it constant? How hard is it to not kill the prey? (A necessity for the game I'm in.)
When hungry, predators kill. When not hungry, hunters don't hunt: they don't need to. As far as killing their prey, considering what they need to hunt for nourishment, I'd say the Psi-Stalker doesn't hesitate, but tends to go for the kill if ever in doubt. With a reasoning intellect along with predatory instincts (Psi-Stalkers aren't animals after all), I'd say they can have interests, most likely competitive (physically oriented games for example).

Third, the book said that a little bit of food and water per week is all that is needed. How about if the person gets more than that? Is it detrimental, or would the Psi-Stalker merely have to hit the gym a little more often to work it off?
If a wild psi-stalker, I doubt this would be an issue: they would only take what they need to survive, and not indulge in unnecessary excess.
Life in the wild wil most likely keep them trim and fit.

Fourth, what if they have access to more than the 80-100 PPE needed per week? Would feeding several times be detrimental? Would it be beneficial? Would it store up for lean periods, or be just a nice snack while it lasts?
I don't think you can store up PPE the way you can store up fat.
I doubt it would have any detrimental effects long term, although there may be a temporary euphoria from the excess that could lead to a variety of reactions (similar to taking drugs for you & me).

I'm not necessarily looking for book rulings. If there are gray areas, then how people have interpreted it is also good. Tips and tricks would also be nice. Plus, if anyone else has done what we've done and imported the RCC into a modern, pre-Rifts setting, information on how you made it work would also be great.

Thank you.

I've not used wild Psi-Stalkers, preferring the more civilized ones.
In small numbers they make great HUII characters, and good for Nightbane as well.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Natalya

Unread post by Natalya »

Mack wrote:Good questions. I'm assuming you will play a "civilized" Psi-Stalker.

Yes, that's what's in mind. The setting is modern, and her "day job" is a professional thief.

3) I always felt that Stalkers simply aren't hungry after eating the required amount of food, and would just pass on anything further.

I was concerned about the social atmosphere. If it fits, I'm figuring that her typical target group is drunk men in a bar, necessitating the need to drink a lot of club soda in order to blend in. Plus, she does have to sit with others at restaurants.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Natalya wrote:I was concerned about the social atmosphere. If it fits, I'm figuring that her typical target group is drunk men in a bar, necessitating the need to drink a lot of club soda in order to blend in. Plus, she does have to sit with others at restaurants.

I understand what your saying, but it's going to be hard to blend in since Psi-Stalkers have a distinctive look. On the plus side, this is Rifts, and most people won't really be surprised that a Psi-Stalker is in the room. So I don't think you have to sweat it, unless it's an unusual restaurant/bar.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Natalya wrote:No one in our group has ever played a Psi-Stalker before, neither of the GMs have really ever used it either. So (being the first for our group), I'm full of dumb questions.

Even pychics have PPE, though it's very little. They drain them of all their PPE, and as a result, lost 1/2 ISP

I tend to think of them as maybe bikers. Their instinct is there, and it is rarely kept in check, but can be. Their instinct is a constant thing. As for keeping them from killing the prey, they can if told to do so, without any checks, unless they are starving. Pretty much, they will huff and puff but for the most part are still human.

Um...I'll go with they have a smaller stomach, about the size of a thumb. (c: So they just get full alot faster.

I'd say it's just a nice snack. They won't be able to store it but having more won't hurt it (Or make it fat) in any ways.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Natalya

Unread post by Natalya »

Mack wrote:I understand what your saying, but it's going to be hard to blend in since Psi-Stalkers have a distinctive look. On the plus side, this is Rifts, and most people won't really be surprised that a Psi-Stalker is in the room. So I don't think you have to sweat it, unless it's an unusual restaurant/bar.

Distinctive look? Okay, I missed that part of the book. How do they look different?
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Natalya wrote:
Mack wrote:I understand what your saying, but it's going to be hard to blend in since Psi-Stalkers have a distinctive look. On the plus side, this is Rifts, and most people won't really be surprised that a Psi-Stalker is in the room. So I don't think you have to sweat it, unless it's an unusual restaurant/bar.

Distinctive look? Okay, I missed that part of the book. How do they look different?

Completely hairless. White pasty skin. Black patches around the eyes. There's a picture in the color section of the Rifts Main book. And if I recall, if you look in the Techno-Wizard section, there's a Psi-Stalker holding a Flaming Sword.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Mack wrote:
Natalya wrote:

Completely hairless. White pasty skin. Black patches around the eyes. There's a picture in the color section of the Rifts Main book. And if I recall, if you look in the Techno-Wizard section, there's a Psi-Stalker holding a Flaming Sword.

Yeah, I've never completely been a fan of the way that Psi-Stalkers look. I wish there were a few alternative options. *shrug*
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Sentinel
Palladin

gadrin wrote:
Sentinel wrote:I've not used wild Psi-Stalkers, preferring the more civilized ones.
In small numbers they make great HUII characters, and good for Nightbane as well.

do you use them in HU2 "as is" or ...

Yes. I like to use RCCs and PCCs from other books, and keep them unique when putting them into other setting worlds.
I also use Warlocks, Witches, Shifters, Mystics, Lanotaur, Psi-Slayers, Psi-Ghosts, Diabolists, and others, pretty much as they are in the books: updating their skills of course where appropriate.

Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Danger wrote:Yeah, I've never completely been a fan of the way that Psi-Stalkers look. I wish there were a few alternative options. *shrug*

For what it's worth, all CS Psi-Stalkers have cosmetic surgery so they "look" human. There's an angle for you to use.
Last edited by Mack on Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Sentinel
Palladin

I don't mind a distinctive look to Psi-Stalkers: I just prefer to allow players to customise it somewhat. As a PPE feeder, you should have some sort of oddness to the way you look (you are what you eat after all).

dark brandon
Knight

Mack wrote:
Danger wrote:Yeah, I've never completely been a fan of the way that Psi-Stalkers look. I wish there were a few alternative options. *shrug*

For what it's worth, all CS Psi-Stalkers have cosmetic surgery so they "look" human. There's an angle for you to use.

Is that canon or just a house rule.

Not arguing, just wondering, I may have missed it.

As for their look, I think they look perfect. But you can have things like hair plugs and stuff to give your psi-stalker air. I believe in Xinitix invasions, a clan does that anyways.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

darkbrandon wrote:
Mack wrote:For what it's worth, all CS Psi-Stalkers have cosmetic surgery so they "look" human. There's an angle for you to use.

It's in the RMB, within the Psi-Stalker section IIRC. It's canon, not a house-rule. If I remember tonight I'll look up the page number.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
dark brandon
Knight

Mack wrote:
darkbrandon wrote:
Mack wrote:For what it's worth, all CS Psi-Stalkers have cosmetic surgery so they "look" human. There's an angle for you to use.

It's in the RMB, within the Psi-Stalker section IIRC. It's canon, not a house-rule. If I remember tonight I'll look up the page number.

Cool, thanks, if you find the page number, i'd appriciate it.
Rex
Wanderer
Comment: I'm back, I guess

Unread post by Rex »

Not sure about that Mack. I'll look for it myself. I think they are encouraged to act more human.
Rex, you are one helluva guy.
-Geronimo
never trust a man's post count... that's only an indication of his ability to write a lot of stuff - Svartalf
GP:5D6+502
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Rex wrote:Not sure about that Mack. I'll look for it myself. I think they are encouraged to act more human.

RMB, p.105, upper right paragraph, following the "Note." But we're both half-right, half-wrong. It doesn't say cosmetic surgery like I thought. It just says that they are human in appearance.

Interestingly enough, that note is not reproduced on Lone Star p.157. But 157-158 does have the physical description.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Natalya

Unread post by Natalya »

On page 104 (RMB), it says that Psi-Stalkers can be human, D-Bee, or mutoid. Since most of the other drawings in the books look strange, maybe they chose a non-human one to draw. :-?

Since it says they can be human and look human, I'm going to stick to my original character drawing.
dark brandon
Knight

Natalya wrote:On page 104 (RMB), it says that Psi-Stalkers can be human, D-Bee, or mutoid. Since most of the other drawings in the books look strange, maybe they chose a non-human one to draw. :-?

Since it says they can be human and look human, I'm going to stick to my original character drawing.

Just go with cosmetic implants.

I'm pretty sure all psi-stalkers are pasty white and have no hair.
Natalya

Unread post by Natalya »

Another question. For those also familiar with NSS, would the Fasting skill allow a Psi-Stalker to go without PPE for a couple of weeks in a pinch?
dark brandon
Knight

Natalya wrote:Another question. For those also familiar with NSS, would the Fasting skill allow a Psi-Stalker to go without PPE for a couple of weeks in a pinch?

good question...GM decision on that one.

I'd say...yeah.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Tyciol wrote:Yes, but who would teach him the method of PPE fasting? Monks only know how to fast without food.
tribe elder
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

About the question of whether a Psi-Stalker can draw nutrition form the ISP sucked from a psychic. I think that they can to a limited extent. Here's my thinking on this. A TW Gizmo can function on ISP if twice as much is pumped into it as it normally requires PPE. That means PPE & ISP are interchangable to a certain degree. So if a Stalker fed on a psychic with 60 ISP, draining it down by half to 30 as normal, I think it's reasonable to say that particular feeding counted as a 15 PPE lunch due to the going 2:1 exchange rate.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Dead Boy wrote:About the question of whether a Psi-Stalker can draw nutrition form the ISP sucked from a psychic. I think that they can to a limited extent. Here's my thinking on this. A TW Gizmo can function on ISP if twice as much is pumped into it as it normally requires PPE. That means PPE & ISP are interchangable to a certain degree. So if a Stalker fed on a psychic with 60 ISP, draining it down by half to 30 as normal, I think it's reasonable to say that particular feeding counted as a 15 PPE lunch due to the going 2:1 exchange rate.

I understand you logic, but if that were the case wouldn't there be an explicit statement saying so?
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Mack wrote:
Dead Boy wrote:About the question of whether a Psi-Stalker can draw nutrition form the ISP sucked from a psychic. I think that they can to a limited extent. Here's my thinking on this. A TW Gizmo can function on ISP if twice as much is pumped into it as it normally requires PPE. That means PPE & ISP are interchangable to a certain degree. So if a Stalker fed on a psychic with 60 ISP, draining it down by half to 30 as normal, I think it's reasonable to say that particular feeding counted as a 15 PPE lunch due to the going 2:1 exchange rate.

I understand you logic, but if that were the case wouldn't there be an explicit statement saying so?

You'd think that of a lot of things in this game, but sometimes you have to use your own brain to figure out what's reasonable and what's not.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

rellik wrote:remember we are talking about a Palladium game, reason and common sense have nothing to do with it.

People say that sort of thing a LOT, but it's not true.
As problematic as the rules are, there IS logic and reason and a degree of common sense at work in them. Otherwise they'd just be a pile of gibbering word-salad.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Sentinel
Palladin

Killer Cyborg wrote:
rellik wrote:remember we are talking about a Palladium game, reason and common sense have nothing to do with it.

People say that sort of thing a LOT, but it's not true.
As problematic as the rules are, there IS logic and reason and a degree of common sense at work in them. Otherwise they'd just be a pile of gibbering word-salad.

With Thousand Island at the End of the World dressing?

Return to “Rifts®”