Iceman VS Pyro

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Who would come out on top?

Iceman
90%
Pyro
10%

Total votes: 50

Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

I'd say Iceman - he has WAY more control over his powers, and, thanks to tampering by Loki and Mikhail Rasputin, he is now more powerful than ever. Not to mention his powers are far more versatile (and he knows how to use them thanks to help from the White Queen).

Now I'm not going to say it'd be a breeze for Iceman, but I think Bobby is the far more powerful, experienced and capable of the two.

P.S.: Not to mention in the mainstream comic reality Pyro died from the legacy virus.
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

in the begining it would be even
but as icy got older hes gotten close
to goku like power
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Bobby Drake all the way.

He's cool.
Pyro, he's not so hot.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Iceman.
The competition is dead for one, and for another Pyro needed an outside source to even use his Power.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Yisterwald
Wanderer

Unread post by Yisterwald »

It's unanimous so far -- Iceman.
That's right folks, remember to look both ways before crossing the Yisterwald. -- TAF
For the record, Yisterwald rocks. -- Prettz
Creationism is a non-scientific viewpoint that says 'Poof, the world happened'. It lacks any credible evidence, and survives in the school system on the back of religious imperialists whose purpose is to destroy the educational system. -- Mark Hall
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Yisterwald wrote:It's unanimous so far -- Iceman.

I wouldn't call 6 to 1 exactly unanimous...
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Yisterwald
Wanderer

Unread post by Yisterwald »

Heh -- I didn't even look at the poll, just the replies.
That's right folks, remember to look both ways before crossing the Yisterwald. -- TAF
For the record, Yisterwald rocks. -- Prettz
Creationism is a non-scientific viewpoint that says 'Poof, the world happened'. It lacks any credible evidence, and survives in the school system on the back of religious imperialists whose purpose is to destroy the educational system. -- Mark Hall
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Though I'm not the biggest Iceman fan, I like Pyro even less. Maybe becase he's a limey, maybe because he's just plain unlikable. But when he died from the Legacy Virus, I didnt' shed a single tear.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

All Iceman has to do is fire a few iceshards at Pyro's fuel tank, and Pyro would be outta luck.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Dead Boy wrote:Though I'm not the biggest Iceman fan, I like Pyro even less. Maybe becase he's a limey, maybe because he's just plain unlikable. But when he died from the Legacy Virus, I didnt' shed a single tear.

Actually, I think Pyro's an Australian.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

I'm pretty sure this one has been done by Marvel before anyway.
Sentinel
Palladin

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Dead Boy wrote:Though I'm not the biggest Iceman fan, I like Pyro even less. Maybe becase he's a limey, maybe because he's just plain unlikable. But when he died from the Legacy Virus, I didnt' shed a single tear.

Actually, I think Pyro's an Australian.

You're right.
St. John Allerdyce, A.K.A. Pyro, is/was a citizen of Australia. I don't know what happened to the status of his citizenship when he became a member of Freedom Force.

Magneto - You are a god among insects.

And this is perfectly true: In a Marvel Universe where these characters are the only ones with powers. No Silver Surfer, no Avengers, no Fantastic Four, etc.

Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

I'm voting Pyro Unless you're talking about Ultimate version of Iceman who no longer could turn human form again and froze everything he touched without concentration.
But -- Iceman would get eaten by Pyro's Fire creations and not to mention draw out all the moisture out of the air with his heat .... Iceman would only win by Ignoring the strength of Pyro's power and ignoring iceman's weaknessses.
in other words, Plot Throwing.

Pyro's Other power was to animate flame and give it their own "life" to create servants. This was also in Ultimates version (where the legacy nonsense never existed, except in alternate storylines, Like in Exiles)
Sentinel
Palladin

Gomen_Nagai wrote:I'm voting Pyro Unless you're talking about Ultimate version of Iceman who no longer could turn human form again and froze everything he touched without concentration.
But -- Iceman would get eaten by Pyro's Fire creations and not to mention draw out all the moisture out of the air with his heat .... Iceman would only win by Ignoring the strength of Pyro's power and ignoring iceman's weaknessses.

Pyro's Other power was to animate flame and give it their own "life" to create servants. This was also in Ultimates version (where the legacy nonsense never existed, except in alternate storylines, Like in Exiles)

According to the Official Handbook, Human Torch gets hotter then Pyros' flames.
Iceman has fought Torch to a standstill. And at the time, each believed the other was a villain, so no pulled punches out of friendship or any other such.
Bobby can bring the temperature down fast enough to affect Pyro before he'd have a chance to turn up the heat.

Gomen_Nagai

um. the human torch pulls his punches all the time, if he did not The city would melt from the intense heat he can make.
... iceman Does not Win unless you Take an alterante storyline iceman and thus the only way to equalize it is to take pyro from the alternate storyline.

And according to the OLD rpg : Iceman Was only remarkable ice generation ( Which is a real pain to Robot Characters.. but to mutants? c'mon.. )

Sure his reliance upon flame throwers is a hindrance but that's why you always carry extras.

Think Colonel Mustang vs Iceman (Mustang is from Full Metal Alchemist) ... I don't see Iceman surviving someone who can with a snap of his fingers, set afire a whole building.

Iceman was able to fight the torch to a stand still cause he was able to create alot of ice to keep the torch occupied. that alone won't save him.
Sentinel
Palladin

Pyro can't control heat: only open flame. Once Iceman lowers the ambient temperature to his maximum,-105 degrees F. Pyro has problems.
Cold enogh to crack the fuel lines on Pryos' flame thrower, and cold enough to frostbite his lungs from the frigid air.

Sentinel
Palladin

Cheat how?
There's no rules to violate here.
Iceman is no Dudley Do-Right.

Sentinel
Palladin

Ranger wrote:Iceman all the way. One can create Ice and snow out of thin air the other can only control a flame source.

And not just ice: Iceman (unlike Pyro) actually can control temperature.
As in, lower the intensisty of the fire Pyro is controlling.
Also, Pyro can be burnt if taken by surprise: If he wasn't controlling it in the first place, it can hurt him.(unlike the Torch, who cannot be burnt except by magical or supernatural fire such as that created by Hellstrom or Ghost Rider).

Gomen_Nagai

iceman has repeatedly Lost to alot of people and only won cause the people like Cyclops and wolverine and beast heled defeat them.

pyro can melt the ice armor off the old iceman.

Pyro was killed because they dind't want any non american mutants running about during the legacy virus storlyine.

The Ultimates version of Pyro can create fire creatures and doesn't need a flame source anymore. just fuel.. of which oxygen is enough..
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

Sentinel wrote:Pyro can't control heat: only open flame. Once Iceman lowers the ambient temperature to his maximum,-105 degrees F. Pyro has problems.
Cold enogh to crack the fuel lines on Pryos' flame thrower, and cold enough to frostbite his lungs from the frigid air.
NOt to quibble but, er, don't you mean minimum? :)
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
Sentinel
Palladin

Lord High RikOcasek wrote:
Sentinel wrote:Pyro can't control heat: only open flame. Once Iceman lowers the ambient temperature to his maximum,-105 degrees F. Pyro has problems.
NOt to quibble but, er, don't you mean minimum? :)

Well, I suppose so. As I was describing a power level, I figured "maximum" was the appropriate term.

Oh, wait, you said you weren't quibbiling...
:lol:

Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Gomen_Nagai wrote:I'm voting Pyro Unless you're talking about Ultimate version of Iceman who no longer could turn human form again and froze everything he touched without concentration.

Pyro can only manipulate and control existing sources of flame - he cannot control the temperature of an area as you suggest.

Iceman can Create ice from thin air (even desert air has enough moisture to work), shaping it into objects, barriers, projectiles; basically whatever he wishes.

He can also control temperature - reducing the temperature of an area or to specific objects, making them as brittle as glass (the AoA Iceman even used this on living people, while the mainstream Iceman would use it to give people "brain freeze" - incapacitaing them, or on specific equipment - destroying it).

He can also completely transform his body into Ice, giving him full control of his body structure (much like Apocalypse's power) and making him extremely resistant to harm (the mainstream Iceman had a basketball-sized hole blown through his chest and ws still up and around, and the AoA version showed that he can in fact be blown apart and still reform later).

You also have to remember that Iceman has been given several "power boosts" in the past (once by Loki and another time by Mikhail Rasputin) and the White Queen has helped him relaise his vast potential.

Add in the other little factors (greater mobility via Ice-Slide, the ability to see into the infra-red spectrum, etc) and Iceman is far more powerful than many people give him credit for (and more powerful than he even realizes).
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
Sentinel
Palladin

Sentinel Says: :ok:

Sentinel
Palladin

Illithid13 wrote:
Sentinel wrote:Sentinel Says: :ok:

how is this a service oriented message?

As the post preceding mine supported my earlier position, I'd say Self-Serving.

Gomen_Nagai

Pyro wins cause iceman sucks in MSH : )
Sentinel
Palladin

Gomen_Nagai wrote:Pyro wins cause iceman sucks in MSH : )

Lots of characters suck in MSH: The game writer often did not get stats correct, despite being given access to The Official Handbook.

RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Sentinel's maximum change comment is correctly stated because -105 degrees is the maximum change, not the maximum temp. That is what + and - are for.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Sentinel
Palladin

Cold enough to freeze the testicles off a Brass Monkey.
Is that cold enough?

Overlord Rikonius
Hero

Sentinel wrote:Cold enough to freeze the testicles off a Brass Monkey.
Is that cold enough?
that funky monkey?
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
Sentinel
Palladin

"Got to meet the plane so I can get my monkey, teach him to be cool but a little bit funky..."
Butthole Surfers.
Dracula From Houston from the album Weird Revolution.

Sentinel
Palladin

C.R.A.F.T. wrote:When I started the poll, I was thinking people would go for Pyro.

I'm shocked. :shock:

A better contest would be the Torch when he was amplified out of control (FF, around the 320s, vol I), and Iceman when Loki amplified his powers out of control.

Cranus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Cranus »

Iceman. He has more experience, has more potential, and has more versatility than Pyro. I admit it would be close (due to the nature of the characters) but Bobby really should be the winner here.
Overlord Rikonius
Hero

Sentinel wrote:
C.R.A.F.T. wrote:When I started the poll, I was thinking people would go for Pyro.

A better contest would be the Torch when he was amplified out of control (FF, around the 320s, vol I), and Iceman when Loki amplified his powers out of control.
That'd be a tough fight. BOth of them would be pretty steamed.
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Lord High RikOcasek wrote:
Sentinel wrote:

That'd be a tough fight. BOth of them would be pretty steamed.
:frust: :thwak:

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”