Mixing N&S OCCs

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mixing N&S OCCs

Unread post by Guest »

What (if any) would you LIKE to see in N&S? What OCCs would you like to see removed from N&S?

Unread post by Guest »

Tyciol wrote:More priestly things, a sorcerer who isn't limited in spells or martial arts, and update the demon hunter to have the potential to actually hurt people.
You'd like to see spell casters in N&S? MC I could see, but N&S???
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

In a religious context, it could fit.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
Tyciol wrote:More priestly things, a sorcerer who isn't limited in spells or martial arts, and update the demon hunter to have the potential to actually hurt people.

Sure. Maybe on a lower order of power than in Rifts or PFRPG, but there are practitioners of magic outside of China in the Orient.
By adding spell casters I feel N&SS would be tied more strongly to the rest of the Megaverse, and not be such a cast off.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Natalya

Unread post by Natalya »

Glistam wrote:In a religious context, it could fit.

We created a house OCC that is an oriental monk and a type of warrior for the Jade Emperor. They use psionics as a part of their way of life (direct gift from the Jade Emperor; they do bad things one too many times and it gets pulled).

Unread post by Guest »

Sentinel wrote:
Kuseru Satsujin wrote:

Sure. Maybe on a lower order of power than in Rifts or PFRPG, but there are practitioners of magic outside of China in the Orient.
I didn't say there weren't
By adding spell casters I feel N&SS would be tied more strongly to the rest of the Megaverse, and not be such a cast off.
It doesn't need spell casters anymore than System Failure, Recon or ATB need them. The setting isn't about magic (Mystic China's setting is, but the basic N&S setting isn't).
Sentinel
Palladin

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
Sentinel wrote:
Kuseru Satsujin wrote:

It doesn't need spell casters anymore than System Failure, Recon or ATB need them. The setting isn't about magic (Mystic China's setting is, but the basic N&S setting isn't).

Well, it may not need them, but you already know how I feel about making every Palladium game fit every other one.
I want a true Megaverse: and if I want a Japanese spell slinger partnered with a Karate Master and a Ninja with Psionics, then I should be able to have it.

Unread post by Guest »

Sentinel wrote:
Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
Sentinel wrote:
Kuseru Satsujin wrote:

Well, it may not need them, but you already know how I feel about making every Palladium game fit every other one.
That doesn't mean they all need to be the same game.
I want a true Megaverse: and if I want a Japanese spell slinger partnered with a Karate Master and a Ninja with Psionics, then I should be able to have it.
You can still have a Megaversal System without having everything in it be one game.
Sentinel
Palladin

I just want it all to fit, and then I can pick and choose what I want, or decide what doesn't fit.
I want superpowers, psionics, guns, etc all to be balanced and scaled to each other appropriately. I'll take it from there, and determine what comes along with me. It's much easier to do that when everything fits together.

Natalya

Unread post by Natalya »

Sentinel wrote:I just want it all to fit, and then I can pick and choose what I want, or decide what doesn't fit.
I want superpowers, psionics, guns, etc all to be balanced and scaled to each other appropriately. I'll take it from there, and determine what comes along with me. It's much easier to do that when everything fits together.

Exactly. One of the more fun things about the game I'm playing in is that the GM set up an HU crime-fighting organization - players are free to play just about anything within reason. So we could easily end up with a traditional ninja, a necromancer, a vampire, and a space alien all on the same team. It should be interchangeable.
Sentinel
Palladin

You can still have a Megaversal System without having everything in it be one game.

There's no reason why it can't be that way though.
If I don't want , for example, Psionics in my N&SS game, then fine, I don't have to have them. But, if I do want them, they should be readily available with out being disbalancing or requiring hours of conversion.
The game should play as easily one way or the other: no matter what I add in or take out, the framework of the game should support itself, and I should be able to tell the stories I'm interseted in, and running a game that is truly my own.

Unread post by Guest »

Sentinel wrote:

There's no reason why it can't be that way though.
If I don't want , for example, Psionics in my N&SS game, then fine, I don't have to have them. But, if I do want them, they should be readily available with out being disbalancing or requiring hours of conversion.
The game should play as easily one way or the other: no matter what I add in or take out, the framework of the game should support itself, and I should be able to tell the stories I'm interseted in, and running a game that is truly my own.

You can have a Megaversal System without having Palladium be one game. You shouldn't have to pick and choose what you DON'T want in your game, you should be able to choose what you want to include from other games without lengthy conversions. Palladium doesn't need to remake GURPS to be a good system and provide great games.
Sentinel
Palladin

Well, there will always be things in a game you may not want to use: when I ran D&D, I didn't use half of the monsters presented. There were many magic items and spells I didn't use.
The grappling rules (in fact all bare handed combat in D&D 1st ed) sucked, so I substituted rules from a different TSR game (I forget which).
Rather than have to do exhaustive conversions to make things like spell magic fit into N&SS, I'd rather the ability to use it already be in place: I can then pick it, or not, as it suits me.
In other cases, for setting specific things like mages from Mystic China, while I fully understand that they are different from Western mages, I don't want them to be under-powered by comparisson: not just because they're different.
I would (while I think of it) like to see Oriental Dragons, and I want them to be as powerful as dragons from other parts of the world.

Unread post by Guest »

Sentinel wrote:Well, there will always be things in a game you may not want to use: when I ran D&D, I didn't use half of the monsters presented. There were many magic items and spells I didn't use.
There's a big difference between stuff you may not want to use and stuff that doesn't fit the setting as is.
The grappling rules (in fact all bare handed combat in D&D 1st ed) sucked, so I substituted rules from a different TSR game (I forget which).
Rather than have to do exhaustive conversions to make things like spell magic fit into N&SS, I'd rather the ability to use it already be in place: I can then pick it, or not, as it suits me.
N&S doesn't need magic though.
In other cases, for setting specific things like mages from Mystic China, while I fully understand that they are different from Western mages, I don't want them to be under-powered by comparisson: not just because they're different.
They aren't under-powered. Quite the opposite in fact. They may not have spells as flashy as western mages, but that doesn't have anything to do with the amount of power they have.
I would (while I think of it) like to see Oriental Dragons, and I want them to be as powerful as dragons from other parts of the world.
Personally, I doubt we'll ever see decent Oriental Dragons.
Sentinel
Palladin

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
Sentinel wrote:Well, there will always be things in a game you may not want to use: when I ran D&D, I didn't use half of the monsters presented. There were many magic items and spells I didn't use.
There's a big difference between stuff you may not want to use and stuff that doesn't fit the setting as is.
True. I just wanted to make some examples that wouldn't be mis-interpreted.
N&S doesn't need magic though.
Doesn't need magic, sure. But, it wouldn't be hurt by it: Shang Tsung works in Mortal Kombat.
They aren't under-powered. Quite the opposite in fact. They may not have spells as flashy as western mages, but that doesn't have anything to do with the amount of power they have.
I wasn't suggesting that they are, just that I wouldn't want an evisceration like the DMA got.
Personally, I doubt we'll ever see decent Oriental Dragons.

You could write them.

Unread post by Guest »

Sentinel wrote:You could write them.

Who says I already haven't? :demon:
Sentinel
Palladin

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:

Two words for you:

Rifter. Article.

Yes, you could post them, but I like magazines and books.
And this way, you get paid.

Unread post by Guest »

Sentinel wrote:
Kuseru Satsujin wrote:

Two words for you:

Rifter. Article.

Yes, you could post them, but I like magazines and books.
And this way, you get paid.

Two words right back:

Hell. No.
Sentinel
Palladin

So, what are you going to do with all this material? Is it Palladium Specific? (if I wrote as much as you did and it were Palladium Specific, I'd sell, sell, sell, if only to pay for the printer paper and ink, never mind my internet connection).

Unread post by Guest »

Sentinel wrote:So, what are you going to do with all this material? Is it Palladium Specific? (if I wrote as much as you did and it were Palladium Specific, I'd sell, sell, sell, if only to pay for the printer paper and ink, never mind my internet connection).
Put it into an even larger work of course.
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Originally posted by Sentinel.
????? Is my group the only one that lifts mechanics from different Palladium (and non-Palladium) games and imports them into N&S without any real trouble?
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3

Unread post by Guest »

Mantisking wrote:
????? Is my group the only one that lifts mechanics from different Palladium (and non-Palladium) games and imports them into N&S without any real trouble?
Nope. Of course, I'm still working on Rifts China, but that doesn't count yet.
Sentinel
Palladin

Mantisking wrote:

Oh no, I do this too.
But, since I run a much more cinematic, four-colour style game, what works for me would not necessarily work for everyone.
There are those who prefer lower levels of power and effect for the inclusion of magic and psionics, and more elements of "realism", and for those folks, my style of play would not be desirable.

Unread post by Guest »

Natalya wrote:
Glistam wrote:In a religious context, it could fit.

We created a house OCC that is an oriental monk and a type of warrior for the Jade Emperor. They use psionics as a part of their way of life (direct gift from the Jade Emperor; they do bad things one too many times and it gets pulled).

Psionic monks huh. Ironically this idea sounds more like Japanese Miko & Itako than Chinese...I wonder if there's some cross pollinization in Shinto...
DBX
Hero

Re: Mixing N&S OCCs

Unread post by DBX »

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:What (if any) would you LIKE to see in N&S? What OCCs would you like to see removed from N&S?

IMO all the occ's in N&SS revised need to be done again. I would like all the occ's that just take up room to be removed. Occ's whose only difference from the next occ is their name.

It maybe better to have generic occ's. like security, military, espionage, retired, martial artist, assassin.

within these you can try to create specific type occ's, so you could have

Policeman, Swat, security guard, or

soldier, medic, veteran, officer,

monk, warrior, wannabe, ancient, master, novice

hitman, sniper, ninja, assassin

try to minimise the sub-occ crossover as much as possible. maybe suggest that this sub-occ is also found in this generic occ, but are known by this name.

i would not give martial arts to any occ other than so called Professional Martial artists (monks, warriors, ninjas, samurai, kickboxers), so most espionage occ's will have "quickie" forms of a martial art. whereas the martial art generic occ group will get the martial arts and their powers as well.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”