Pre- rift roads

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Read Eternity Road by Jack McDivitt.

Not a Rifts book, but should have been. His characters are in constant awe of "the road makers".
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Rex
Wanderer
Comment: I'm back, I guess

Unread post by Rex »

I've had some of the major highways redone in a minor MDC 'permacrete'.
Rex, you are one helluva guy.
-Geronimo
never trust a man's post count... that's only an indication of his ability to write a lot of stuff - Svartalf
GP:5D6+502
Space Marine

Unread post by Space Marine »

To my way of thinking, and looking at the interstate highway system now. and the sad shape the roads are in. I'd say that most would be in pretty bad shape and if they cracked and plants/trees started to grow. Probably the roads would no longer exist in some areas, in others they may be in better shape. In the rather poor quality Rifts novels they are described as not being in good enough shape for wheeled vehicles to utilize.
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

..In my treatice on Whykin's origins, I had a major highway department located in West Plains Missouri, as the current plans for a new Super Highway go through that part of the state. I figured that the manufacturer of the specialized machinery necessary to build a super road would set up shop there, allowing them also to be in a primo location for national distribution of their budding robotics technology.

..The side effect of that notion was that the roads in Missouri are top of the line and the CS would contract companies from Whykin to build them in the state.

..Of course Whykin would have other dark secrets to worry about....

-Mike >8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

300 years of no maintenance? I'd say, at best, they're a broken trail. Of course, I don't subscribe to the "MDC Roads" idea either. The North America is supposed to be a wilderness, and the thought of a major road network existing just ruins that idea for me.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

How long dose md Concrete last?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Blight wrote:How long dose md Concrete last?

The books never say one way or the other, but as far as I'm concerned MDC objects never need repair unless they are hit for mega-damage.
Wear & tear, decay, rust, erosion, etc. are SDC damage.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

Space Marine wrote:To my way of thinking, and looking at the interstate highway system now. and the sad shape the roads are in. I'd say that most would be in pretty bad shape and if they cracked and plants/trees started to grow. Probably the roads would no longer exist in some areas, in others they may be in better shape. In the rather poor quality Rifts novels they are described as not being in good enough shape for wheeled vehicles to utilize.

I gotta go with this considering the tectonic shifts that the Earth must have also gone through (supervolcano anyone?), no form of any repair, 300 years (or how many years before the PA calender) of plant growth. Not to mention that any attempts at constructing new roads are usually sabotaged by either demons, bandits, and the such...just look at how much trouble the CS rail-line gets in Lone Star...big mess there under constant protection and reconstruction.

Yes, a nice made road would be nice to travel on, but you might as well paint a big target on your chest if you use it.
we forgive you pox - Lord Cherico
You mah main Damie, Pox - el magico -- darklorddc
Rex
Wanderer
Comment: I'm back, I guess

Unread post by Rex »

I think not every road from the pre-Rifts days would be MDC. Just a few major highways, like 95. Not even then would they be fully intact, just noticeable. Aren't there still roads in Europe that the Romans built that haven't been maintained? They aren't in great shape, but you can still tell that they're there.
Rex, you are one helluva guy.
-Geronimo
never trust a man's post count... that's only an indication of his ability to write a lot of stuff - Svartalf
GP:5D6+502
Slag

Unread post by Slag »

Rex wrote:I think not every road from the pre-Rifts days would be MDC. Just a few major highways, like 95. Not even then would they be fully intact, just noticeable. Aren't there still roads in Europe that the Romans built that haven't been maintained? They aren't in great shape, but you can still tell that they're there.

The Roman roads were also built alot better than modern highways: 6-10 foot foundations of compacted, crushed stone, closely-fit hard-stone surfaces, etc. compared to modern 2' foundations of gravel with a few inches of asphault or concrete. Modern roads will turn into potholed, scrub-filled crap in less than 10 years if not maintained. There's no way they'd survive the Cateclysm beyond maybe a few vesiges of on-ramps and the remains of bridges and overpasses, now crumbling and dangerous.
Fickt nicht mit der Raketemensch!

"I respect you. And unlike love, respect can't be bought" - Homer Simpson.
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

A long long time. With the volcanic ash acting as a quasi preservative the roads should be in pretty good shape. The main reason that the interstates are in the shape they are today (and in some states they are in very good shape) is due to the high traffic and large concentration of 18 wheelers that were not taken into consideration during initial construction. In the mid 80's many states began to redo their interstates with asphalt instead of concrete since it holds up much better and is easier to patch. If anyone has ever driven in Georgia (one of the few states to have completely redone their interstates) you know what a breeze to drive on a 100 percent asphalt highway can be.
:fool:
Jesterzzn
Champion

Slag wrote:
Rex wrote:I think not every road from the pre-Rifts days would be MDC. Just a few major highways, like 95. Not even then would they be fully intact, just noticeable. Aren't there still roads in Europe that the Romans built that haven't been maintained? They aren't in great shape, but you can still tell that they're there.

The Roman roads were also built alot better than modern highways: 6-10 foot foundations of compacted, crushed stone, closely-fit hard-stone surfaces, etc. compared to modern 2' foundations of gravel with a few inches of asphault or concrete. Modern roads will turn into potholed, scrub-filled crap in less than 10 years if not maintained. There's no way they'd survive the Cateclysm beyond maybe a few vesiges of on-ramps and the remains of bridges and overpasses, now crumbling and dangerous.

My grandfather worked for the Arkansas highway department for 45 years, and in that time he has told me stories of some of our highways that have not had a lick of maintenance in all that time. Those roads are still there, still traveled, and still in fairly good condition and those are all concrete roads. Steel reinforced concrete highways that were built in the sixties are rated to be travelable for 50 years. Asphalt roads redone in the 80's 90's and even to this day are rated to be travelable for 100 + years with steady traffic. Sure some will require maintenance, but with no traffic and a layer of sediment to keep them from the elements they would last indefinitely.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Don't forget the affect of Dinosaurs, supernatural critters, and alien plants unchecked for 300 years.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
LunarYoma
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by LunarYoma »

Roman roads were built with alot of TLC. they were the life blood of the roman empire. they were built to last many centuries, were as today roads dont last 10+ years without needing repairs.
Lunaryoma
LunarYoma
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by LunarYoma »

Jesterzzn wrote:idges and overpasses, now crumbling and dangerous.

Asphalt roads redone in the 80's 90's and even to this day are rated to be travelable for 100 + years with steady traffic. [/quote]

Define "travelable". Do you mean as in no pot holes, little pot hole, alot of pot holes, big ass pot holes that you can loose a car in?
Lunaryoma
Jesterzzn
Champion

LunarYoma wrote:
Jesterzzn wrote: Asphalt roads redone in the 80's 90's and even to this day are rated to be travelable for 100 + years with steady traffic.

Define "travelable". Do you mean as in no pot holes, little pot hole, alot of pot holes, big ass pot holes that you can loose a car in?

Meaning that the materials are made to last that long under normal conditions. that does not mean no reagular maintnance, but in the situation presented there would be no one useing the roads, and thus far less ware and tare. So they should last much longer.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Well, the Romans, Greeks, Egyptains, Chinese, Indians, Mayans, Incas, Navaho, ect. all built stuff that has lasted for thousands of years in some cases. Millions of years later and we're still digging up dinosaur bones.

As far as you md concrete road is cocearned......

Remember that the contract to build and maintain it went to the lowest bidder!
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Jesterzzn wrote:

A long long time. With the volcanic ash acting as a quasi preservative the roads should be in pretty good shape. The main reason that the interstates are in the shape they are today (and in some states they are in very good shape) is due to the high traffic and large concentration of 18 wheelers that were not taken into consideration during initial construction. In the mid 80's many states began to redo their interstates with asphalt instead of concrete since it holds up much better and is easier to patch. If anyone has ever driven in Georgia (one of the few states to have completely redone their interstates) you know what a breeze to drive on a 100 percent asphalt highway can be.

The Freeze/Thaw Cycle of more northern states effects asphalt much more than it does Concrete...it also withstands the plowing better. Concrete is the material of choice here in the Dakotas It is much more expensive but it lasts much longer before major repairs are needed. If there is anything more than a straight path with "fewer" or "smaller" trees 300 years after the Rifts opened I would be surprised...The Freeze/Thaw Cycle alone is enough to crack it all to hell in say 100-150 years and then the weeds followed by trees would trun the rubble into powder.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Braden, GMPhD wrote:Read Eternity Road by Jack McDivitt.

Not a Rifts book, but should have been. His characters are in constant awe of "the road makers".

I second that Braden. It is a great book on how people after an apocalypse can survive, and how they view mans past great achievments.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!

Return to “Rifts®”