Mystic Power Armor (Has How Many Powers?)

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RainOfSteel
Champion

Mystic Power Armor (Has How Many Powers?)

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

RMB p.93 & 94 both state that only 4 TW powers can be built into other things.

RMB p.96 & 97 lists Mystic Power Armor, with 11 TW powers added, and has a PPE Cost, a Time, and a Cr Cost for TWs to build it.

Ok, people, how to you explain this discrepancy to the your TWs in your game when they start saying, "Of course I can add 11 powers to my dune buggy, this Mystic Power Armor has 11 powers in it . . ."
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

I just say, nothing cause I dont have any techno-wizards.
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Mystic Power Armor (Has How Many Powers?)

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

RainOfSteel wrote:RMB p.93 & 94 both state that only 4 TW powers can be built into other things.

RMB p.96 & 97 lists Mystic Power Armor, with 11 TW powers added, and has a PPE Cost, a Time, and a Cr Cost for TWs to build it.

Ok, people, how to you explain this discrepancy to the your TWs in your game when they start saying, "Of course I can add 11 powers to my dune buggy, this Mystic Power Armor has 11 powers in it . . ."

I'd put it to them like this:
:thwak:
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Mystic Power Armor is a techno-wizard construct whereas only four powers can be built into a normal suit of armour.
Mystic Power Armor is built from scratch by a TW, is totally powered by TW and is both time and PPE costly. Normal body armour or vehicles can only have 4 powers because the TW powers are additions and modifications, they are not built into the armour.

Now that I think about Mystic Power Armour I think it's time for an upgrade, almost all PAs have been improved or replaced with newer designs. TW seems to be getting more powerful since FoM and SoT, so maybe it's time for a Super Mystic Power Armor.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
sinestus
Adventurer

Unread post by sinestus »

bah...

first up,
no need for upgrade... all the others need a downgrade...

but that's prolly my anti-power-creep side talking...

second...
TW Power armor as a construct is a nice catch-all for why...

otherwise, just justify it as multiple parts...
TW Helmet,
TW Armor
TW Gauntlets

or whatever...
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Well I'm more from the school that Power Armour and vehicles need to be more powerful, but that's not for this thread.
If nothing else I think there should be more variations on Mystic Power Armor, a stealth/recon version, a non-flying heavy hitter, a long distance magic sniper, an amphibious assault version etc.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
RainOfSteel
Champion

Nxla666 wrote:I just say, nothing cause I dont have any techno-wizards.

That's an interesting OCC deletion.
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
RainOfSteel
Champion

Killer Cyborg wrote:
RainOfSteel wrote:RMB p.93 & 94 both state that only 4 TW powers can be built into other things.

They're immune after so many years of this type of admonition.
RainOfSteel
Champion

gadrin wrote:treat it as an NPC -- it breaks the "rules" (it's an NPC item, or a GM Item).

Tough to do when the rules for making it are sitting there right along side everything else a PC can make.

gadrin wrote:let's see what the newer rules have in store for TW items in the upcoming Ultimate Rifts.

I'm starting a game in a day or two, I don't have that long to wait.
RainOfSteel
Champion

grandmaster z0b wrote:Mystic Power Armor is a techno-wizard construct whereas only four powers can be built into a normal suit of armour.
Mystic Power Armor is built from scratch by a TW, is totally powered by TW and is both time and PPE costly. Normal body armour or vehicles can only have 4 powers because the TW powers are additions and modifications, they are not built into the armour.

That would be an excellent explanation. Now we just have to figure out what the limits are on constructs.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

RainOfSteel wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Huh.
Well, it should still be fun for you to explain it that way a few more times....

Then point out to them that the books (check me on this, cause I'm doing this from memory) only limit the number of options added to existing armor. The TW Power Armor is not normal armor that had TW features added, it is built from scratch with those powers in it.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

Look as Mystic Armor as a pointed example why you built it TW from the very beginning instead of converting it after the fact. Building it from scratch gives more opportunity to design magical features into the armor but theres a limit to how much you can reasonably convert on existing armors without substantial redesign.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
bigwhitehound

mystic power armor

Unread post by bigwhitehound »

My mystic power armor Mk2 is on the magic-psionic page. Go look at it.

Unread post by Guest »

I like the "It is a bunch of things, Heads, Armor, Gauntlets" option myself.

If they want to spend the time and money making a set of gauntlets with some TW Effects, and a Helmet with some effects, and a suit of Armor with some effects, and then sacrifice an effect from one of them to let them all work together, they will basically have custom made TW Mystic Power Armor anyways.

So why not, I figure.
sinestus
Adventurer

Unread post by sinestus »

Edge wrote:I like the "It is a bunch of things, Heads, Armor, Gauntlets" option myself.

If they want to spend the time and money making a set of gauntlets with some TW Effects, and a Helmet with some effects, and a suit of Armor with some effects, and then sacrifice an effect from one of them to let them all work together, they will basically have custom made TW Mystic Power Armor anyways.

So why not, I figure.

yep...

that's the way i've done it in the past...

one of my favorite rifts characters was a Cyberknight with TW built into his cyber armor, gloves, and helm...
finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
RainOfSteel wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Huh.
Well, it should still be fun for you to explain it that way a few more times....

Then point out to them that the books (check me on this, cause I'm doing this from memory) only limit the number of options added to existing armor. The TW Power Armor is not normal armor that had TW features added, it is built from scratch with those powers in it.

yes thats what is in the rmb not sure on the rgmg havnet checked it yet
RainOfSteel
Champion

gadrin wrote:
RainOfSteel wrote:
gadrin wrote:treat it as an NPC -- it breaks the "rules" (it's an NPC item, or a GM Item).

Tough to do when the rules for making it are sitting there right along side everything else a PC can make.

no actually, the rules are pretty nebulous and like a great many of PB items, they pull them out of their *ss.

PB may store their rules and inspirations there, but I do not.
RainOfSteel
Champion

finn69 wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Then point out to them that the books (check me on this, cause I'm doing this from memory) only limit the number of options added to existing armor. The TW Power Armor is not normal armor that had TW features added, it is built from scratch with those powers in it.

finn99,

If you find it, please cite it here. Please!
finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

RainOfSteel wrote:
finn69 wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Then point out to them that the books (check me on this, cause I'm doing this from memory) only limit the number of options added to existing armor. The TW Power Armor is not normal armor that had TW features added, it is built from scratch with those powers in it.

finn99,

If you find it, please cite it here. Please!

when i get an rgmg (if i do) i may just wait for rifts ultimate to se the new rules for creating tw devices

Return to “Rifts®”