Drug usage in CS territory

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Res_Novae wrote:My question is did the rise of magic affect narcotics in any form, or what alien drugs have arrived. Maybe there is some 59 foot tall alien reefer plant growin on Rifts Earth.

Ah that would be a 420 foot tall alien reefer plant! They call it the Millennium Bud, and instead of dropping leafs and twigs as gifts it drops spliffs...but you gotta WATCH OUT as some of the spliffs are giant sized and weigh in at about a kilo and will knock your ass out if you aren't wearing a helmet....Its found on page (man I for get) of Psychedelic-scape. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

In actual reply to the question people have done drugs since they were discovered some 10,000 plus years ago...we arne't about to stop just because there was an apocalypse. I would venture that since there is less recreationional activities after the coming of the Rifts there would be increased drug use and addiction...prices would be high and suply low for man made or highly refined drugs such as extasy, methampetamines, cocaine, heroine, etc... but would be pretty low and supply high for stuff that can be grown easily and consumed without processing such as raw opium, marijuana, peyote, psilociben mushrooms, Khat, etc...And of course there are the old stand bys nicotine, caffine, and alcohol, these would probably be about as common as they are today...found cheaply on any street corner.

People do drugs and we always will.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I doubt that they can produce or obtain drugs in any large quantity in Rifts.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Unread post by PigLickJF »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:I doubt that they can produce or obtain drugs in any large quantity in Rifts.

Why not? As has been mentioned, people have been creating and using narcotics of various forms since prehistoric times, and probably longer.

PigLick
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

PigLickJF wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:I doubt that they can produce or obtain drugs in any large quantity in Rifts.

Why not? As has been mentioned, people have been creating and using narcotics of various forms since prehistoric times, and probably longer.

PigLick

Agreed.
They have medicine, they have drugs.
People have used drugs since we climbed down from the trees, maybe before... no reason for the apocalypse to stop us.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

John Kronus wrote:

Why did the apocolypse kill off all of the pot, coca, and poppy plants ?? :eek:

no...

but farming them is hell.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
John Kronus wrote:

no...

Ah they all are pretty easy to grow (so long as big brother doesn't raid your farm) I mean they don't call it weed for nothing...coca and poppy plants are tougher but not by much.

As I said before man made or highly refined would be less available and higher cost but stuff that grows and can be eaten or smoked in its raw form would be pletifull an cheap (kinda like todays drugs). Although i could be wrong and designer drugs may be the way Rifts moves towards considering that they are what's always portrayed in sci-fi. Was that robocop 2 or 3 or what that had that glowing "mist"?

Bottom line nothing short of extermination of drug users will prevent people from useing and abuseing all forms of drugs...we are pretty much wired for it.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Thinyser wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
John Kronus wrote:

no...

Ah they all are pretty easy to grow (so long as big brother doesn't raid your farm) I mean they don't call it weed for nothing...coca and poppy plants are tougher but not by much.

As I said before man made or highly refined would be less available and higher cost but stuff that grows and can be eaten or smoked in its raw form would be pletifull an cheap (kinda like todays drugs). Although i could be wrong and designer drugs may be the way Rifts moves towards considering that they are what's always portrayed in sci-fi. Was that robocop 2 or 3 or what that had that glowing "mist"?

Bottom line nothing short of extermination of drug users will prevent people from useing and abuseing all forms of drugs...we are pretty much wired for it.

Big brother raiding your farm?

how about a stray plasma shot destroying part of the feild and setting it on fire?

Demons wandering around terring up the place?

Ley Line Storm ruins the crops?

things are more complicated in rifts...

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

John Kronus wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Big brother raiding your farm?

how about a stray plasma shot destroying part of the feild and setting it on fire?

Ummm ok beside big brother's farm raids i can see how the rest would hinder ones crop yeild ;)

True but I doubt the CS or any other form of gov't would be raiding fields and as such there would be lots more people willing to grow those crops as the reason why they dont nowadays is that they fear prison time.

If ones self could be hit by stray plasma fire and killed, or eaten by a deamon/D-bee, or pummeled to death by falling frogs in a ley-line storm, why not grow some weed/poppys/coca/shrooms? what do ya got to loose? People still grow corn and beans and wheat and all sorts of other produce so some pot and poppys should be just as easy and would yield a bit more credits at the market :lol:

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Big brother raiding your farm?

Same thing all applies to normal crops, except for Big Brother, yet normal crops DO come to harvest in Rifts Earth.

As for Big Brother, I don't see why it would be any more of a factor for drug farms than it would be for any other black market activity.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

John Kronus wrote:

Why did the apocolypse kill off all of the pot, coca, and poppy plants ?? (( :eek: ))
Is that supposed to be Dilation of the Pupils, you sick little Monkey, you???

:D
Last edited by cornholioprime on Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Killer Cyborg wrote:
PigLickJF wrote:

PigLick

Agreed.
They have medicine, they have drugs.
People have used drugs since we climbed down from the trees, maybe before... no reason for the apocalypse to stop us.
Agreed with Killer.

Hell, there's even MORE reason to do Drugs in A.D. 2398 than there is now.

In fact, non-Smoker, non-Drinker, non-Drug User that I am (no, not for religious reasons, just a LOT of Drug Abuse in my Family tree, and maybe 10-20% of the People in my entire Family either wrecking their Lives or dying outright because of it), even I would turn to Drinking, or even "worse," the very first time I saw, say, a Worm Wraith (and lived to tell about it)!!!

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

rellik wrote:Why would farming plants with intoxicant properties be difficult in the CS? Wouldn't the CS encourage the growth and comsumption of something that would keep the populace sedate?

the only way that would work Rellik is to do like the Founders did to Jhem'hdar wit the 'Ketricel (sp?) white' on DS9 make them addicted and control the source...

Highly unlikely since they would be harder to control prone to getting a lot of people on them...The Federation of magic, Tolkeen, Lazzlo, Psyscape would be on them like flys to fly paper...
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Rimmerdal
Knight

rellik wrote:Control the source? Why would you want to do that? Let the people in the 'Burbs grow the stuff and then "Liberate" the drugs that rightfully belong the the citizenry of the CS.

and please, its rellik, no capitals....*twitch*

You miss the the idea..I mean to say Use the drug as means of control. The CS, or rather factions of ,would love that kind of control over the pour and huddled masses.

get them addicted to drug ONLY you make then if they leave they die of with drawl or stay and do as you say...

Paint it up with nice propaganda, a little free food and such. Control can be yours..
taalismn wrote:

Rimmerdal
Knight

rellik wrote:you mean like what McDonald's is doing?

Yeah, just like, but no cholesteural or fatty foods.. :ok:
taalismn wrote:

Rimmerdal
Knight

Atramentus wrote:I would also like to point out people have historically gotten high on more mundane and available items such as glue, hair spray, liquid paper/correction fluid, and gasoline. Where there is a will there is a way apparently.

get a copy of the anarchist Survival guide..plenty of ways to get high...
taalismn wrote:

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

John Kronus wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:
Atramentus wrote:I would also like to point out people have historically gotten high on more mundane and available items such as glue, hair spray, liquid paper/correction fluid, and gasoline. Where there is a will there is a way apparently.

get a copy of the anarchist Survival guide..plenty of ways to get high...

No thanks ill skip that...

I'm an Herbal American :ok:

:lol:

:bandit: That little guy is not a "bandit" its a dude smoking a spliff the emote should be :spliff: :ok:

I agree stay away from the huffing... if your gonna get High... not that you should, but if your gonna anyway... do it natures way... herbs and shrooms oh and don't forget the cacti they are natural too... I'm an equal opportunity supporter of altered conciousness. so long as it grows in the ground it must be here for a reason. The only thing natural I'm not so keen on is that whole toad licking thing that was popular way back when...never liked the idea of licking the back of an amphibian to catch a buzz :ugh:

I'm an athiest but there was a T-shirt that I found highy ammusing...

Man made alcohol, God made Weed...Who do you trust?

makes sense to me even though I'm not a believer... Nobody has ever died of THC poisoning though death from alcohol poisoning is not common it happens more than you would think...spring break and highschool "binge" parties see quite a few deaths from massive alcohol consumption.

DISCLAIMER: I neither advocate nor condone drug use of any kind (though I am guilty it myself) and am simply relating my peosonal feelings and information for eduational and entertainment pruposes only.That said

FREE the WEED!

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Thinyser wrote:I'm an athiest but there was a T-shirt that I found highy ammusing...

Man made alcohol, God made Weed...Who do you trust?

God also made nightshade, deathcap mushrooms, and a zillion other deadly poisons.

There is nothing safe about nature.
Last edited by Killer Cyborg on Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

John Kronus wrote:I the whole text is great...

Keep on smokin'...
:-D

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Krytykyll Hytt wrote:In the 'Burbs, yes. In the mega-cities, no. The 'Burbs are a nasty zone. But, inside the mega-cities, I believe that people would be way too proud to be human to sink to destroying themselves with drugs.

Have you actually MET any people...?

Drug use would most likely be considered a crime against humanity at that point, simply because the CS wants healthy humans, not people who are slowly poisoning themselves.

It would be a crime for those reasons.
On the other hand, having an opiate for the masses would also have an appeal.

True, drugs are used to some extent to control populations. Have you ever noticed how a lot of those people who are anti-gun, are also pro-drug? Let's see, eliminate the means of resistance (ban guns and all personal arms ownership by civilians), establish a monopoly of violence over the population (total government control of weapons, the establishment of secret police, departments of homeland security). Then, create a market for controlled, mind-altering substances regulated by the governing authority to sap the overall will to resist. This is the new recipe for domination. For the U.S. today.

Paranoia is fun, isn't it?
;)

But, not for the CS in the time of Rifts. The CS needs every capable combatant they can get. They also need competent people in the manufacturing sectors. They don't have time for worthless druggies.

Maybe.
On the other hand, it depends on how you picture life inside Chi-Town.
I picture the lower levels being filled with rather poor people who have to work hard and would be desperate for some sort of escape, and the upper levels would be filled with the idle rich who have nothing better to do than to snort a few lines of something now and then.
Until a decent Chi-Town sourcebook comes out, we just won't know.
But I'm sure that will happen any day now...

grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

There has never been any period in history or any place on earth that humans have not indulged in some sort of drug.
It's an absurd notion that there would be no drugs or less drugs on Rifts Earth. If you haven't noticed drugs are pretty much illegal almost everywhere in the world, the police are constantly at war with the importers/exporters and the pushers. Yet there are drugs and will always be drugs, if you doubt me ask a cop if there will ever be a world without drugs and they will most probably laugh.
If they can grow food then they can grow barley and hops for beer and whiskey, they can and will grow plants for all the other kinds of drugs.
It's basic economics; where there is a demand there will always be a supply and the more the authorities try to ban it the more expensive it is and the more money/power the black market makes.
I think it would be easy to grow with all the open wasteland around, sure there would be demons and bandits but the reward is worth it so someone will do it.

I can imagine a special kind of weed in Chi-Town; Bionic - Chronic: weed that has been smuggled in by stuffing it inside a borg's body cavities.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

grandmaster z0b wrote:There has never been any period in history or any place on earth that humans have not indulged in some sort of drug.
It's an absurd notion that there would be no drugs or less drugs on Rifts Earth. If you haven't noticed drugs are pretty much illegal almost everywhere in the world, the police are constantly at war with the importers/exporters and the pushers. Yet there are drugs and will always be drugs, if you doubt me ask a cop if there will ever be a world without drugs and they will most probably laugh.
If they can grow food then they can grow barley and hops for beer and whiskey, they can and will grow plants for all the other kinds of drugs.
It's basic economics; where there is a demand there will always be a supply and the more the authorities try to ban it the more expensive it is and the more money/power the black market makes.
I think it would be easy to grow with all the open wasteland around, sure there would be demons and bandits but the reward is worth it so someone will do it.

I can imagine a special kind of weed in Chi-Town; Bionic - Chronic: weed that has been smuggled in by stuffing it inside a borg's body cavities.

Remindes me of the opening scene of Red Heat when Arnold rips off that dudes prostetic leg to reveal the powder that is hidden inside.

In Rifts there would probably be a demand for couriers so you could probably specialize as a "mule borg" or some such and hide stuff inside your person.

Rimmerdal
Knight

Something tells me that "Mule" Borg would have more than just cocaine.

Likely a drug that makes you go Juicer for while or make you MDC for a for bit.
taalismn wrote:

grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Kryt, saying the people of the CS would be too proud to take drugs is not realistic, whilst that may be true of some of the elite, I'm sure even they will partake in a snifter of brandy occasionally. As I said there has never been a period of history without some sort of drug so saying that it's possible in the future is dubious at best.

Rifts humans in the dire situation that they are in would have pride and unity unlike anything we have seen.

Actually people in "dire situations" such as extreme poverty or in times of war and civil unrest tend more to drug abuse and criminal behaviour. Whilst war does increase national pride in the short term, war weariness causes the opposite after too long.

Also generalising "anti gun" as "pro drugs" is ridiculous, but I'd rather stick to Rifts related topics and not political conspiracies.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

grandmaster z0b wrote:Kryt, saying the people of the CS would be too proud to take drugs is not realistic, whilst that may be true of some of the elite, I'm sure even they will partake in a snifter of brandy occasionally. As I said there has never been a period of history without some sort of drug so saying that it's possible in the future is dubious at best.

Rifts humans in the dire situation that they are in would have pride and unity unlike anything we have seen.

Actually people in "dire situations" such as extreme poverty or in times of war and civil unrest tend more to drug abuse and criminal behaviour. Whilst war does increase national pride in the short term, war weariness causes the opposite after too long.

Also generalising "anti gun" as "pro drugs" is ridiculous, but I'd rather stick to Rifts related topics and not political conspiracies.

Well Said :ok:

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Misanthropic wrote:I find myself agreeing with some here and massively disagreeing with others….of course there is drug use in the CS. As some have said man will sniff anything from glue to airplane fuel and lick anything from cacti to toad ass just to catch that elusive buzz…and as I think Kryt has pointed out, it’s very common among our own past and other western powers to supply drugs to their populace just to keep them in place (England and opiates for China, USA and crack for the ghettos etc…) Much like not teaching them to read, etc…this is a way to keep the sheeple complacent and apathetic.

The Romans called it wine & circus. Give the hoi polloi intoxicants and sporting events and they’ll never care who what or why as long as they get to stay high and entertained.
I continuously find it simply AMAZING to see so many come up with "Grand Government Conspiracies" to explain the usage/desire/availability of Mind-Altering Substances in any given Society.

Man has been sucessfully finding new and creative ways of artificially stimulating his own Pleasure Centers since probably before his ancestor "Lucy," and probably always will for as long he has Pleasure Centers in his Brain........

...or do you have a handy Government Conspiracy at the ready to explain how even incarcerated individuals under Maximum Security manage to create/formulate/refine their own Mind Altering Substances with only the meager resources available to the average Inmate???

Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

cornholioprime wrote:
Misanthropic wrote:I find myself agreeing with some here and massively disagreeing with others….of course there is drug use in the CS. As some have said man will sniff anything from glue to airplane fuel and lick anything from cacti to toad ass just to catch that elusive buzz…and as I think Kryt has pointed out, it’s very common among our own past and other western powers to supply drugs to their populace just to keep them in place (England and opiates for China, USA and crack for the ghettos etc…) Much like not teaching them to read, etc…this is a way to keep the sheeple complacent and apathetic.

The Romans called it wine & circus. Give the hoi polloi intoxicants and sporting events and they’ll never care who what or why as long as they get to stay high and entertained.
I continuously find it simply AMAZING to see so many come up with "Grand Government Conspiracies" to explain the usage/desire/availability of Mind-Altering Substances in any given Society.

Man has been sucessfully finding new and creative ways of artificially stimulating his own Pleasure Centers since probably before his ancestor "Lucy," and probably always will for as long he has Pleasure Centers in his Brain........

...or do you have a handy Government Conspiracy at the ready to explain how even incarcerated individuals under Maximum Security manage to create/formulate/refine their own Mind Altering Substances with only the meager resources available to the average Inmate???
Man has also been blaiming everyone and their mother for their own problems for exactly as long. I am not surprised at all. :-P
:fool:
Rimmerdal
Knight

Alright then let's shift to WHAT drugs survived the Rifts era...

Important!!:
I don't support or encourage the use of ANY narcotic (except Caffine...)just speculating. Heck I don't even smoke or drink.

(I know I live dull quiet life... :-()

1) Juicer and Psychic enducers...to make your life a little more exciting these drugs make like a juicer or psychic for a while.

2) Weed/Mariwana: Yep it's still there...

3) a Meth derivative only stronger...perhaps magical equal?

4) Psi-Cola...

5) Cocane (Tony Montana anyone?)

6) Alien Drugs...that make you growings or something.
taalismn wrote:

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Rimmerdal wrote:Alright then let's shift to WHAT drugs survived the Rifts era...

Important!!:
I don't support or encourage the use of ANY narcotic (except Caffine...)just speculating. Heck I don't even smoke or drink.

(I know I live dull quiet life... :-()

1) Juicer and Psychic enducers...to make your life a little more exciting these drugs make like a juicer or psychic for a while.

2) Weed/Mariwana: Yep it's still there...

3) a Meth derivative only stronger...perhaps magical equal?

4) Psi-Cola...

5) Cocane (Tony Montana anyone?)

6) Alien Drugs...that make you growings or something.
Yay!!!!!

Rimmerdal and I are the same type of Drug Addict!!!!

(don't you DARE make me go through Caffeine Withdrawal on Monday morning...there'll be Murders, I swear it!!)

coffee starting to wear off --- :D
:)
:-)
:-?
:-(
:(
:erm:
:ugh:
:frazz:
:frust:
:x
:badbad:

... Cornholioprime-- :thwak: --hapless co-worker in worng place at wrong time

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Res_Novae wrote:
I can see some burster smokin' an MDC rock in his crack pipe.

If you hit it with SDC flame would that be like an everlasting gobstopper?!?! Just keep smoking the same piece of MDC crack forever? I guess it would only work if the SDC flame would release the active chemical.

I know I know its not physically possible but its a fantasy game after all. :D

You could get a TW to create a pipe that creates a substance to smoke for a certain amount of PPE...like the tankard of endless ale. :D

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

rellik wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:Important!!:

Just to kill the general mood:
nar·cot·ic (när-ktk)
n.
A drug derived from opium or opiumlike compounds, with potent analgesic effects associated with significant alteration of mood and behavior, and with the potential for dependence and tolerance following repeated administration.

An addictive drug, such as opium, that reduces pain, alters mood and behavior, and usually induces sleep or stupor. Natural and synthetic narcotics are used in medicine to control pain

It kinda gets on my nerves when people refer to stimulants as narcotics....anyway, most modern drugs would have survived the rifts as well as a few we haven't yet created....

Agreed...it also really torques me when marijuana is lumped into the narcotic family...though it has very similar effects its method of creating those effects is chemically very different.

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Thinyser wrote:
Res_Novae wrote:
I can see some burster smokin' an MDC rock in his crack pipe.

If you hit it with SDC flame would that be like an everlasting gobstopper?!?! Just keep smoking the same piece of MDC crack forever? I guess it would only work if the SDC flame would release the active chemical.

I know I know its not physically possible but its a fantasy game after all. :D

You could get a TW to create a pipe that creates a substance to smoke for a certain amount of PPE...like the tankard of endless ale. :D
Only us Forum members can come up with this kind of stuff.

Only us Forum members......

ROFLMAO!!!!!
:lol:

Rimmerdal
Knight

rellik wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:Important!!:

Just to kill the general mood:
nar·cot·ic (när-ktk)
n.
A drug derived from opium or opiumlike compounds, with potent analgesic effects associated with significant alteration of mood and behavior, and with the potential for dependence and tolerance following repeated administration.

An addictive drug, such as opium, that reduces pain, alters mood and behavior, and usually induces sleep or stupor. Natural and synthetic narcotics are used in medicine to control pain

It kinda gets on my nerves when people refer to stimulants as narcotics....anyway, most modern drugs would have survived the rifts as well as a few we haven't yet created....

I'm not a pharmaist or doctor so I used it in the common term to describe drugs..they call it the the drug cops Narcs so that why I used that term.
taalismn wrote:

Rimmerdal
Knight

Res_Novae wrote:Best part of MDC crack is with enough of it you can block lasers, then inhale the smoke from the laser burns and get high.

:shock: :lol:
taalismn wrote:

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Misanthropic wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:I continuously find it simply AMAZING to see so many come up with "Grand Government Conspiracies" to explain the usage/desire/availability of Mind-Altering Substances in any given Society.

I am not sure if this was aimed at me, but since you quoted me I am assuming that it is. At no point did I say that the well-documented fact of certain governments allowing drugs to be imported and/or exported to their populace or another’s explained the “usage/desire” of drug abuse. No, that’s just a factor to being a human. We, for the most part, are hedonistic in our pursuits. Man loves drugs. As far back as recorded history there have been drug usage.

No, the point I was making was certain governments helping out the hoi polloi out with the “availability” of those drugs.. No grand conspiracy there. From Barry Seal and the Contras (he flew weapons to them, and as nature abhors a vacuum, they filled his plane with cocaine for the return trip to Mena, Arkansas) to the East Indies Company and opiates for the Chinese, to even the Native Americans and alcohol. Supplying a populace with mind altering substances is part of the game plan for some governments. And as the CS is the type that is so controlling that they do not even allow their population to learn how to read I can easily picture them supplying beer, weed, etc, to keep those simple sheeple complacent and controlled.
Sorry, my man, but I just don't buy what you're selling.

Show the rest of us ONE instance short of a Police State where it would make a FRACTION OF A DAMN of a difference, or overall effect to the People having access to mind-altering substances, if a given Government either wanted or did not want drugs in their society; if they were the one that actually supplied the Drugs or not......

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

cornholioprime wrote:
Misanthropic wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:I continuously find it simply AMAZING to see so many come up with "Grand Government Conspiracies" to explain the usage/desire/availability of Mind-Altering Substances in any given Society.

I am not sure if this was aimed at me, but since you quoted me I am assuming that it is. At no point did I say that the well-documented fact of certain governments allowing drugs to be imported and/or exported to their populace or another’s explained the “usage/desire” of drug abuse. No, that’s just a factor to being a human. We, for the most part, are hedonistic in our pursuits. Man loves drugs. As far back as recorded history there have been drug usage.

No, the point I was making was certain governments helping out the hoi polloi out with the “availability” of those drugs.. No grand conspiracy there. From Barry Seal and the Contras (he flew weapons to them, and as nature abhors a vacuum, they filled his plane with cocaine for the return trip to Mena, Arkansas) to the East Indies Company and opiates for the Chinese, to even the Native Americans and alcohol. Supplying a populace with mind altering substances is part of the game plan for some governments. And as the CS is the type that is so controlling that they do not even allow their population to learn how to read I can easily picture them supplying beer, weed, etc, to keep those simple sheeple complacent and controlled.
Sorry, my man, but I just don't buy what you're selling.

Show the rest of us ONE instance short of a Police State where it would make a FRACTION OF A DAMN of a difference, or overall effect to the People having access to mind-altering substances, if a given Government either wanted or did not want drugs in their society; if they were the one that actually supplied the Drugs or not......

Correct people get the drugs they want weather on not the gov't trys to help or hinder them...if the gov't wants to TAX the SH!+ out of it to make money they do... if they want to ban it they do... if they want to ignore it they do.... but RARELY do they supply it...though some times they have...CIA and Crack comes to mind though that as a gov't agency is not really the gov't's choice. I'm confident that their doings were not approved by the governing bodies namly the house, congress and the pres.

Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Res_Novae wrote:Also criminal law tends to lump all illicit drugs as narcotics.

A peculiar quirk of US drug legislation, oddly enough, is that if any substance generates similar effects in its users as a known, Scheduled substance, that substance is also automatically scheduled. So technically, under their own laws, caffeine and nicotine are both Schedule 1 substances. :D

( I could be wrong in how that works, not being a USian :) )

Note that a lot of drugs were made illegal in North America as a means of supressing 'undesirable' cultures (this was way back when). Chinese immigrants brought opiates, the Native Americans used several indigenous psychotropics, and there are several others, but you'll notice the only legal drugs here are of European origin (tobacco is a bit of an exception, but it was rapidly taken up by European settlers, and thus survived). Hmmm... :)
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Krytykyll Hytt wrote:I have seen drugs destroy the lives of friends of mine. And, being the son of a nurse who has practiced for more than 30 years in cancer wards, I have seen what drugs do to others. My brother has been using drugs for a few years now. Pot, mostly, but there may be others. It has been slowly screwing him up. I saw another friend go downhill with each passing week until he was living out of a car with an STD he picked up from some psycho crack-head. And last night I found out that my younger brother has been doing drugs for awhile. One drug he referred to was "nuggets," and so far that means crack, heroin, or amphetamines. He was a smart and athletic kid on his way to college. He may very well screw himself up because of these poisons.

So, pardon me if I get a little upset at the mere mention of drugs, and especially at any attempts to glorify them. As for governments, never trust those in power. They always want more. They're corrupt. What can I say?

As for drug dealers - well, when I find who has been dealing to my brothers, I will curb-stomp them all.

No apologies this time.

:nh:
Bummer sounds like your friends and family need to learn self control...its not the dealer you need to curb stomp its them for their lack of will to resist temptation. Nobody put a gun to your brother's head and said buy this durg and use it...he fricking pays for it...you gonna crub stomp the manager of your local mcdonald's for making your bro fat? or the pres of SONY cuz your bro's lazy and sits on his ass and plays playstation all day?

No. Its not the seller, its the abuser, that has the problem.

I feel bad that you and your loved ones have had bad experiences with drugs and the consquences of their abuse....but there is a difference between use and abuse. Drug use is common amongst all cultures and we all have a pretty ok time of it but a certain percent of the populous WILL abuse and the people that simply use suffer for their mistakes too. :-?

I and all of my friends have done drugs, mostly alcohol and pot, but others have done the harder stuff meth and heroin...but all in all were are not any worse off than if we had not done them.

I smoked weed every day all throughout college. EVERY DAY... and I graduated with honers. So the people that say that drugs ruin people's lives are full of SH!+...people that can't handle drugs ruin their own lives by abusing drugs.

Drugs aren't for people that can't handle reality.
Reality is for people that can't handle their drugs.
Some people can't handle either...they get the short end of the stick.

Rimmerdal
Knight

Would the CS have Narc Squad? If so what would you put in that unit?

CS battalion or Division-
20% Dog Packs (to track the magical Stuff)
5% Technical Officer (Engineering)
5% Technical Officer (Technical)
5% Technical Officer (Communications)
5% Technical Officer (Weapons)
20% Military specialist
40% CS Sky Cycles and SAMAS Pilots
taalismn wrote:

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Misanthropic wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:Sorry, my man, but I just don't buy what you're selling.

Excellent, 'cause your credit is no good here.

cornholioprime wrote:Show the rest of us ONE instance short of a Police State where it would make a FRACTION OF A DAMN of a difference, or overall effect to the People having access to mind-altering substances, if a given Government either wanted or did not want drugs in their society; if they were the one that actually supplied the Drugs or not......

Sorry, mate, but your question is lacking in syntax and/or understandability.

From what I can decipher you’re asking for a state that is not a police state, yet this part vexes me: “[…] where it would make a FRACTION OF A DAMN of a difference, or overall effect to the People having access to mind-altering substances[…].”

Are you asking me to enlighten you as to how drugs tend to make people slothful, complacent and apathetic?

As for the examples, I've given several. Use the scroll button to find them and use Google to research them...'cause everything I tell you is a lie and the truth.
No, Misanthropic, you...you....misanthrope :D (J/K), I'm saying that even if it IS true that the Government supplied, say, crack, or what-have-you, to the masses, it ultimately wouldn't make a dime's worth of difference.

Drugs will ALWAYS be in demand, and "plentiful," whether the Government sanctions them or not. Adds to the supply or not. Outlaws them or not.

The CIA putting extra Crack on the streets of America (I grew up in some of those places, and we had Crack, and worse, quite a while before those supposed CIA actions of the Eighties), even if true, would have had about as much effect on this Country's Supply and Demand of Drugs as a few buckets of water dropped into the Ocean.....

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Misanthropic wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:I'm saying that even if it IS true that the Government supplied, say, crack, or what-have-you, to the masses, it ultimately wouldn't make a dime's worth of difference.

Here we're just going to have to disagree. I do believe that flooding markets with cheap available drugs can have a destabilizing effect on the attitudes of that market…even more so when that drug is as potentially dangerous and addictive as crack cocaine is, for instance.

cornholioprime wrote:Drugs will ALWAYS be in demand, and "plentiful," whether the Government sanctions them or not. Adds to the supply or not. Outlaws them or not.

Yes, there will always be a demand for drugs. That doesn't make a fart of a difference to the effects on populations perceptions and motivations. The point I was making is that the quantities supplied will vary tremendously if the only supplier is black market smugglers or if it’s flown in twice weekly by Barry Seal for the CIA.

cornholioprime wrote:The CIA putting extra Crack on the streets of America (I grew up in some of those places, and we had Crack, and worse, quite a while before those supposed CIA actions of the Eighties)

You're not changing my point. In fact, you're agreeing with it...I never said that crack was the one and only incident of the United States Government supplying illicit drugs to the populace. Cogent arguments can be made that the CIA supplied Timothy Leary with all his LSD, for one. And the prior availability of various drugs before crack cocaine does not mean that they weren’t being imported in by the USG, nor does it preclude the USG from profiting from such activities.

The point I’m making, very succinctly I might add, is that some governments will flood certain markets with cheap affordable drugs to cause havoc on the social fabric of that market.

cornholioprime wrote:[...]even if true, would have had about as much effect on this Country's Supply and Demand of Drugs as a few buckets of water dropped into the Ocean.....

We’re going to have to disagree on that one. Maybe you ‘member, maybe you don’t, but the Taliban put a hurt into poppy farmers putting a severe dent into the worlds heroin supply. Thank god that the USG moved in to re-open that highly profitably farming industry….blessing us with the lowest heroin price in years! Here’s a few links for you to check out, and if you want I can go into much greater details on many incidents of drug abuse by our government {MK-ULTRA anyone?), but I am at work and do not have access to my books.

http://www.usdoj.gov/oig/special/9712/ch06p2.htm
http://www.gnn.tv/videos/video.php?id=1
http://www.levity.com/aciddreams/timeline.html
http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/heroin/mccoy1.htm
No thanks.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I already listen to the Art Bell/Coast-to-Coast overnight Show.....as much as I can stomach, anyway

Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

This thread has really drifted away from a game discussion.

This thread has been locked for violating the Message Board Rules. It violates Rule 3. Any posts attempting to reopen this subject will be summarily removed with no explanation. If you have a problem with how this post was handled please direct all inquires to deific.nmi@gmail.com, including the url to the post in question.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.

Return to “Rifts®”