Opinions on armor name

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Opinions on armor name

Unread post by Jason Richards »

I have a concept for a suit of armor. It's a high-flying power armor that operates in large numbers (a flock, as it were) and is tied to North America. I want to use a bird name, but the one that fits it best is something regarding a duck.

"Mallard" power armor just sounds stupid, right? "Albatross" is a British word, but works pretty well. Is that forgivable?
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Jason Richards

newbee2004 wrote:Use drake it means duck too

Dude. Perfect.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Ah yes, bt remember, in the world of Role Playing, Drake usually refers to a type of legendary lizard.

Drakes (the lizards) can be found in Carl Gleba's Megaverse Builder.

Jason, I have a copy of National Geographic's Birds of North America, Third Edition. It has a lock of birds (pun intended) within. Give me the general location and I'll see if I can help you out.

Unil then, I suggest the names Cormorant or Merganser. The latter being a type of duck and the former a large water fowl. Do a google image search and see what you think.

Eitherway, I'm waiting with the book in hand.
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

How about Shrike? They're interestingly-gruesome small predatory birds. :)
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

I think Merganser is your best bet if you want to stay in the duck family, it sounds kind of cool and some of them have neat looking crests you could echo in the design of the helmet.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

yeah, drake is the best, does it matter if it also also means dragon as well? That's makes it cooler if anything.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

but alas, we can count on this not being in Arzno since you already sent the manuscript in. Sadface.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Agreed "Drake" is perfect.
Sounds mean...
Means duck or dragon...
Hasen't been used bofore (so far as I know)...
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Re: Opinions on armor name

Unread post by dark brandon »

Jason Richards wrote:I have a concept for a suit of armor. It's a high-flying power armor that operates in large numbers (a flock, as it were) and is tied to North America. I want to use a bird name, but the one that fits it best is something regarding a duck.

"Mallard" power armor just sounds stupid, right? "Albatross" is a British word, but works pretty well. Is that forgivable?

In memorie of the Rifts CCG, I'd just call it the "Swarm".
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

The Starling? :D
Janus
Dungeon Crawler
Location: If there is a bright center to the universe then I am in Uranus

Unread post by Janus »

Why not crow. A large numbe of them is called a murder.
There is always a 5%chance of anything happening...even a monkey can crawl out of your butt.

Flamethrowers, that's what we need. The army has them, why can't we have them too?

I am the King of Thoughtless Wishing.

I nominate you for Fan Defensive Lineman of the year. - Geronimo 2.0
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Janus wrote:Why not crow. A large numbe of them is called a murder.

You, sir, are my hero. :)

Or you could call it the Raven... a large number of which is called a 'parliament', which is probably more hated and fear-inspiring than even a murderer. :D
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Swift, Thrush, Threasher, Swallow, but the latter would probably be more problems then it's worth.

These are more your fast, agile types.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Janus
Dungeon Crawler
Location: If there is a bright center to the universe then I am in Uranus

Unread post by Janus »

Ravens are cool. I have a PC in HU named Raven as his alter ego.
There is always a 5%chance of anything happening...even a monkey can crawl out of your butt.

Flamethrowers, that's what we need. The army has them, why can't we have them too?

I am the King of Thoughtless Wishing.

I nominate you for Fan Defensive Lineman of the year. - Geronimo 2.0
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

So, what did you chose (if any) Mr. Richards?

:D
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:So, what did you chose (if any) Mr. Richards?

I believe he went with "drake" as he claimed "dude. perfect." upon first seeing it....though he has not given an official "thats what its gonna be" response.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

Josh Sinsapaugh

Thinyser wrote:

I believe he went with "drake" as he claimed "dude. perfect." upon first seeing it....though he has not given an official "thats what its gonna be" response.

After the drake post, we've been discussing this via PM.

I don't think he is going with Drake, although he might. Who knows?

He does, hence why I asked.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Thinyser wrote:

After the drake post, we've been discussing this via PM.

I don't think he is going with Drake, although he might. Who knows?

He does, hence why I asked.

Ah well I was not aware of your PM discussions...I have no vested intrest in what he chooses but Drake seems a good name for the brief description he started the post with...guess we will have to wait.

Jason Richards

Slept on it. "Drake" it is.

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Jason Richards wrote:Slept on it. "Drake" it is.

Kewl is the gonna be published or can you put the stats up on the board?

Jason Richards

Thinyser wrote:
Jason Richards wrote:Slept on it. "Drake" it is.

Kewl is the gonna be published or can you put the stats up on the board?

It's for an upcoming project, but if anyone is playing in my Saturday morning game at Gen Con, they'll get a glimpse.

Josh Sinsapaugh

I was going to be in that game...

"Ah poo" and all that.

:(
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

Kalinda wrote:I think Merganser is your best bet if you want to stay in the duck family, it sounds kind of cool and some of them have neat looking crests you could echo in the design of the helmet.

Phooey, you beat me to it (like it matters at this point anyway).

I've seen Mergansers up close, and they actually look pretty vicious. Well, about as vicious as a duck can look anyway.

Now if the one piloting this armor was named Donald... and acted kinda daffy... :lol:
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Uncle Servo wrote:
Kalinda wrote:I think Merganser is your best bet if you want to stay in the duck family, it sounds kind of cool and some of them have neat looking crests you could echo in the design of the helmet.

I've seen Mergansers up close, and they actually look pretty vicious. Well, about as vicious as a duck can look anyway.

Now if the one piloting this armor was named Donald... and acted kinda daffy... :lol:
:thwak:
You know you needed that...

Uncle Servo
Champion

Thinyser wrote:
Uncle Servo wrote:

Actually, it would seem we ALL needed it... it took two dozen posts in this thread for someone to make a joke like that, and with this bunch (myself included) you can't claim it was due to dignity or restraint.

So get to work, soldier, and start making bad jokes in other threads! Things are definitely starting to get WAY too serious around here! :lol:
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Uncle Servo wrote:
Thinyser wrote:
Uncle Servo wrote:

Actually, it would seem we ALL needed it... it took two dozen posts in this thread for someone to make a joke like that, and with this bunch (myself included) you can't claim it was due to dignity or restraint.

So get to work, soldier, and start making bad jokes in other threads! Things are definitely starting to get WAY too serious around here! :lol:

Uncle Servo is "keepin it real"

Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

So would a minature version of this armor be a Gosling or a Duckling?

After sustaining firefight damage, would it then be an Ugly Duckling?

"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Uncle Servo
Champion

Well, the back of it would certainly have to be waterproof...

And it'd have to have a good targeting system if it's going to be good at shooting June Bugs...

:lol:
Josh Sinsapaugh

Uncle Servo wrote:

:?

Actually, I beat you to it.
Uncle Servo
Champion

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Uncle Servo wrote:

In this thread? You're gonna have to help me find it then, 'cuz I don't see it.
Josh Sinsapaugh

Uncle Servo wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Uncle Servo wrote:

In this thread? You're gonna have to help me find it then, 'cuz I don't see it.

Fourth post in, I believe that Kalinda was agreeing with me (although that may not be the case).

Return to “Rifts®”