The dragons OH the Dragons, Why?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

clawingwolf
Explorer

The dragons OH the Dragons, Why?

Unread post by clawingwolf »

Why? The Dragons there ALL Different!! There's no more Fire Dragon, No thunder Lizard, NO GREAT HORNED!!!!!!! only now the whip-tailed or the Snow Lizard! Or the Royal Frilled!!!

Like what Happend to the clasices, are they the classics with different names? like The Royal Frilled sounded like the Great Horned, but it's not

Like what about all the soruce books with all the dragons, !

Though so far the rest of the book is Great,
Other than the add for the N-gage, boo adds
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Re: The dragons OH the Dragons, Why?

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

clawingwolf wrote:Why? The Dragons there ALL Different!! There's no more Fire Dragon, No thunder Lizard, NO GREAT HORNED!!!!!!! only now the whip-tailed or the Snow Lizard! Or the Royal Frilled!!!

Like what Happend to the clasices, are they the classics with different names? like The Royal Frilled sounded like the Great Horned, but it's not

Like what about all the soruce books with all the dragons, !

Though so far the rest of the book is Great,
Other than the add for the N-gage, boo adds

Eh

The way I see it its more dragons for the party.
冠双
clawingwolf
Explorer

then Why arn't the oringal Dragons in there, and I can't find any designer notes about the dragons, Like it just doesn't make sense to me to cut out all the oringinal great dragons and put in new ones.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

This has been discussed thoroughly on the forums in the past few days.
clawingwolf
Explorer

shoot sorry, where's the link
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

clawingwolf wrote:shoot sorry, where's the link
What he means to say is that the RUE apparently (I still don't have the Book yet; probably at my Dealer's tomorrow or Friday) covers a FEW Examples in a given Area; from what I've heard of the folks who have the Book and who have posted here, NOTHING has actually been omitted..
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Drakenred®™©
Champion

cornholioprime wrote:
What he means to say is that the RUE apparently (I still don't have the Book yet; probably at my Dealer's tomorrow or Friday) covers a FEW Examples in a given Area; from what I've heard of the folks who have the Book and who have posted here, NOTHING has actually been omitted..
Actualy the classic dragons were replaced with "Rifts specific" dragons, and the "Classic" Dragons will show up in RIFTS Dragons and Gods
冠双
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Drakenred wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:
Actualy the classic dragons were replaced with "Rifts specific" dragons, and the "Classic" Dragons will show up in RIFTS Dragons and Gods

They arent really RIFTs specfic either...

Flame Wind = Fire Dragon with a update
Snow Lizard Dragon = Ice Dragon with a Update
Royal Frilled Dragon = Great Horned updated
Forrest Runner = Thunder Dragon/Serpent of the Wind Updated, wings added to them...
Whip Tailed Dragon = Chian Ku(sp?) updated

When i say Updated i also mean altered somewhat.
You can still see the Old Style of Dragon in there though.

Only the Cats-eye Dragon doesnt have a counterpart in the Older Dragon types...If it does i cannot remember which one right now...

Me, if i wanted RIFTS Dragons i would have used :
The Crystal Dragon from Pyscape
Ogopogo "Champ" From Canada
Cloud Dragon from Japan
Chian-Ku from England *tattoo guys*
...Thats it...These are the most RIFTS types to me...
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
The Ruiner
Explorer
Comment: I am a perfectionist who is good at nothing. You can imagine my frustration.

Unread post by The Ruiner »

I don't think that the new dragons are meant to replace the tried and true classics. If that were the case, they would have to change certain NPC'S ( or am I wrong in believing that Plato is a great horned?).
"There's only room in here for One, and I've decided it's not you."

"Open your eyes, I'm gonna horrify you into a comma!"--Master Shake
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

From talking to KS and Carmen Bellaire at Gencon, the old dragon races should appear in Rifts: Dragons & Gods.
The new races seem to be because they wanted some Rifts specific races, with the old races being PFRPG specific.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Killer Cyborg wrote:From talking to KS and Carmen Bellaire at Gencon, the old dragon races should appear in Rifts: Dragons & Gods.
The new races seem to be because they wanted some Rifts specific races, with the old races being PFRPG specific.
very cool KC
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

The new dragons ARE NOT updates or alterations on the old dragons.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

rifts got new dragons way cool :ok:
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Brian Manning
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: I'm the King of Rock, There is none higher!
Sucka MC's should call me sire!

Unread post by Brian Manning »

Beatleguise wrote:Yup those are NEW specific to RIFTS Dragons. I am sure anyone who went to Gen-Con and chatted with folks, got to talk about this at least once. :)

In fact, some of you might even know who truely created the new Dragons names.

Call it a Trivia question.....

I'm guessing it was Carmen's wife. Or does he have a daughter? The name is listed in the beginning of the Dragon Section

The Flame Wind dragon is Awesome, though. I love the new power, but my question is, since it states that the scales actually ignite, can he use the power while metamorphed as something else? Or does the dragon have to metamorph some scales on it's current form to burst into flames?
Artwork • Social Media • Writing • Shenanigans
Brian-Manning.com
Rex
Wanderer
Comment: I'm back, I guess

Unread post by Rex »

I know the answer, straight from the man who designed them himself. He even played a Royal Frilled in Carl Glebas Lost in Hades game.

I'm surprised nobody has brought the incident up yet...
Rex, you are one helluva guy.
-Geronimo
never trust a man's post count... that's only an indication of his ability to write a lot of stuff - Svartalf
GP:5D6+502
TechnoGothic
Knight

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:The new dragons ARE NOT updates or alterations on the old dragons.

so they say..

but each one seems like it has a counterpart to one of the old style dragons...ok, they fill the same nitchs the old ones had...

fire
ice
bad ass big boy
ground/forrests
snake like with 6 legs...

Only the New Catseye Dragon is totally orginal when compaired to the old school RMB dragons...
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
TechnoGothic
Knight

Ok, one thing i Like :

DRAGONS have MDC Listed and SDC listed...

So if you perfer a SDC setting its much easier now to use Main Book dragons without grabing another book ( PBF-D&G )....
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

TechnoGothic
Knight

Solothurn wrote:What? No lightning dragon? :(

nope...

they should have made these dragons, have the ability to merge together into a Super Dragon Warrior if the had one of each of the six types in RUE...

Now that would have been orginal...

:D :D :D
:demon: :demon: :demon:
:fool: :ok:
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

mallak wrote:I don't understand why they made RIFTs specific Dragons. Dragons as described in the book are multi-dimesional beings who have used their natural abilities to migrate through out the megaverse. They are not just found in any one place.

I have had the same thoughts myself.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
mallak wrote:I don't understand why they made RIFTs specific Dragons. Dragons as described in the book are multi-dimesional beings who have used their natural abilities to migrate through out the megaverse. They are not just found in any one place.

Agreed.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Drakenred®™©
Champion

cornholioprime wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Agreed.
Bah! We needed more Dragons

Especialy FLAMING Dragons!
冠双
Kelorin
Adventurer
Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet

Unread post by Kelorin »

Don't think of the new ones as 'Rifts-specific' dragons. Think of them more as dragons known to exist on Rifts Earth, but that have not previously been noted on the Palladium world.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Aequitas wrote:The way I see it, this is incentive for me to keep my old mainbook (ratty as it is) plus, most of my players would rather have me use the old Rifts book for tradition's sake.

Sing it preacher!! :D
Honestly, I tend to convert dragons from my old D&D 2nd Ed. books if I want more variety...plus they tend to be much much MUCH more lethal (I.E.; no time limit on transformation into "mortal" guise).
As for new 'Rifts specific' dragons...shouldn't they be more magicaly inclined? Like say, having spell magic at 1st level equal to a mystic? :P Or even have telemechanic powered wyrms..I dunno...
If you're gonna go Unique, they should have gone [UNIQUE!
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

DhAkael wrote:
Aequitas wrote:The way I see it, this is incentive for me to keep my old mainbook (ratty as it is) plus, most of my players would rather have me use the old Rifts book for tradition's sake.

Sing it preacher!! :D
Honestly, I tend to convert dragons from my old D&D 2nd Ed. books if I want more variety...plus they tend to be much much MUCH more lethal (I.E.; no time limit on transformation into "mortal" guise).
As for new 'Rifts specific' dragons...shouldn't they be more magicaly inclined? Like say, having spell magic at 1st level equal to a mystic? :P Or even have telemechanic powered wyrms..I dunno...
If you're gonna go Unique, they should have gone [UNIQUE!

umm the new dragons do start casting spells from 1st level unlike at 3rd level as was the case in the RMB.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".

Return to “Rifts®”