Irrelivent Brain Bender: Mach in space

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Irrelivent Brain Bender: Mach in space

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Rifts... heck Palladium Books like using Mach speeds in space.
If Mach is actually a ratio of a crafts speed compared to the speed of sound in the same medium then how fast, exactly, is mach in space?
Sound at sea level (765.6mph) and 20,000 feet is completely different (660mph).
Sound at higher altitudes travels much slower than it does at lower altitudes and in higher density mediums (Water or solid materials).
So can you measure Mach in space?
If so if you travel at any speed in space isn't it Mach ?
Isn't a ratio with a 0 as the comparison number an "illegal" math function?
Does anyone really care?
If there measuring the space Mach by a given speed at which atmospheric altitude are they doing this?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
BigLEE
Explorer

Unread post by BigLEE »

Dulhirest wrote:The aswers to your questions appear to be (in no particular order):

No. Nobody at PB cares.

Yes. Mach measurements in space are silly AND extremly slow for how they are used.

No. You shouldn't really be using Mach in space and if you are it should be a standard number. In which case you might as well make up your own unit 'cause it ain't "Mach" anymore.

Convert the MACH numbers to Gs of acceleration. They are more useful if you actually want to do the math, or and just be used for comparative purposes.
The real problem with freedom is speech is too many people don't know when to shut up.
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

I assume they're using Mach speed values as they are at sea level. It's not proper usage, but I guess it's done for consistency. Mach numbers actually scale with altitude, so Mach 5 in space would be awful slow compared to Mach 5 at sea level. :lol:

Really, they should be using ft/s, or miles per hour, or something ( though I prefer metric :) ), or heck, give vehicles a Spd attribute. :D
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Res_Novae wrote:I always assumed that you used the base value for mach (760 mph --- sea level) when you talked about Mach in Space.

Maybe I was wrong...
As did I, and I believe that the Authors make such a specific Notation in one of the Phase World Books...
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Of course, using Mach numbers, regardless of how they're defined, is kind of pointless in space. What really matters are your relative speeds, and acceleration, since you don't have drag or friction (well, ideally) in space to limit your top speed. Well... and relativistic effects. :lol:
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Zylo wrote:Yeah, it always cracked me up with the mach limits in space. If you can hit mach 5, what's preventing your from continuously accelerating? Nothing other than a lack of detail IMO.

If you wan to be picky, mach speed in space is easily defined. Mach is the speed of sound through a medium, specifically the atmosphere for normal numbers. Funny thing, the speed of sound through a vacuum, as in space, is zero, so Mach 5 in space would still be ZERO! :lol:

*puts on a space suit, steps outside the space station, and tosses a baseball!* Wow, world record! I can throw a baseball at MACH INFINITY!!! :lol:

Although... sound does exist in space, since it's never a perfect vacuum. It just moves very slowly, and attenuates really fast. :)

Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

I do what Kitten stomp does.. and AU Galaxy guide has a nice work around for determining just how much thurst you can get from an Enginge which is basicly 20 doublings of speed or 20 melees, which ever comes first.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Oh my there's actually posts. Here is another question then if Mach at sea level is 700 some odd miles per hour than how fast is mach with a supercavicating aquafighter?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
BigLEE
Explorer

Unread post by BigLEE »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Oh my there's actually posts. Here is another question then if Mach at sea level is 700 some odd miles per hour than how fast is mach with a supercavicating aquafighter?

Sound moves a lot faster underwater. The speed of sound in sea water is around 3425 mph although depth and various other factors will effect that speed.
The real problem with freedom is speech is too many people don't know when to shut up.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

BigLEE wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Oh my there's actually posts. Here is another question then if Mach at sea level is 700 some odd miles per hour than how fast is mach with a supercavicating aquafighter?

Sound moves a lot faster underwater. The speed of sound in sea water is around 3425 mph although depth and various other factors will effect that speed.

As should be noted by the title I'm not expecting anyone to actually take me seriously. Thanks though.

So what about mach speed through a solid material?
BigLEE
Explorer

Unread post by BigLEE »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
BigLEE wrote:

As should be noted by the title I'm not expecting anyone to actually take me seriously. Thanks though.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... dv.html#c1
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

BigLEE wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
BigLEE wrote:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... dv.html#c1

Alright so a fighter that is able to Earthmeld and still stravel supersonic speeds would have a lower number compared to it's aerial flight? :P
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Actually, the thing that always makes me chuckle at the pure absurdity is that you have to apply CONTINUOUS thust to maintain a continuous speed in space!

I mean, excuse me, since when does a missile have to burn all of it's fuel in one go? After all, WHY does a missile still only have a 1/5/40/1600 mile range in micrograv? Same thing with projectiles and lasers. There is nothing to prevent you from firing to effective ranges of significant distances to several light seconds! (Presuming you have an effective enough sensory array.)

Anyway...bed time, I have to wake in six and a half hours for work. :(
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Alright so a fighter that is able to Earthmeld and still stravel supersonic speeds would have a lower number compared to it's aerial flight? :P

A lower Mach number, yes. I assume Earthmeld doesn't actually affect its speed, however. :)

In regards to underwater vehicles, I wonder if they'll ever start making high-speed submarines using that bizarre technology the Soviets came up with for their rocket-torpedoes? It basically blows part of the rocket exhaust forward, creating a sheath of bubbles around the torpedo, reducing friction and allowing it to achieve truly silly velocities underwater. :D

Personally, for spacecraft I feel they should give performance ratings in g's and rate-of-turn. Actually... that's something that's never mentioned! Are the gravitonic drives 'inertia-less'? I hope so, for the crews' sake! :lol:

TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Solothurn wrote:The irrelevancy of this thread is relevently irrelevent. For people considered it relevenent enough to irrelevantly state it relevency by posting to it. :-?

Did you just say
"Who cares" ??

if not, then i am....

Mach for space travel ( NASA , does use Mach Speeds for the shuttle ), it rounded to 700 mph for simple math when dealing with space flight...

Its guestimation that rules....
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Re: Irrelivent Brain Bender: Mach in space

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Rifts... heck Palladium Books like using Mach speeds in space.
If Mach is actually a ratio of a crafts speed compared to the speed of sound in the same medium then how fast, exactly, is mach in space?
Sound at higher altitudes travels much slower than it does at lower altitudes and in higher density mediums (Water or solid materials).
Does anyone really care?
If there measuring the space Mach by a given speed at which atmospheric altitude are they doing this?
how dare you ask a question like this where is my beating stick..............................here it is :thwak:but to answer your questions
1. huh?
2. huh?
3. i guess( better then "huh?" right.)
4. sorry bro this way above my pay-grade, so i guess my answer for this one is no
5. huh?
:-P
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Solothurn wrote:The irrelevancy of this thread is relevently irrelevent. For people considered it relevenent enough to irrelevantly state it relevency by posting to it. :-?

:lol: wow relivent :lol:
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Qev wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Alright so a fighter that is able to Earthmeld and still stravel supersonic speeds would have a lower number compared to it's aerial flight? :P

A lower Mach number, yes. I assume Earthmeld doesn't actually affect its speed, however. :)

In regards to underwater vehicles, I wonder if they'll ever start making high-speed submarines using that bizarre technology the Soviets came up with for their rocket-torpedoes? It basically blows part of the rocket exhaust forward, creating a sheath of bubbles around the torpedo, reducing friction and allowing it to achieve truly silly velocities underwater. :D

Personally, for spacecraft I feel they should give performance ratings in g's and rate-of-turn. Actually... that's something that's never mentioned! Are the gravitonic drives 'inertia-less'? I hope so, for the crews' sake! :lol:

The US is experimenting with it too. The problem is they don't turn very well. When they try it noses out of the cavication bubble and collapses it. So far it is essentially an underwater rocket. Granted if your on target it'll be to the target before it has a chance to run. Oh and the Russian torpedo is named the Shkval (Squall).

Actually I think Earthmeld does have a set speed but I needed something to continue the sillyness... oh wait a phase field, that doesn't have a set speed. :D
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Solothurn wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:

Did you just say
"Who cares" ??

if not, then i am....

Mach for space travel ( NASA , does use Mach Speeds for the shuttle ), it rounded to 700 mph for simple math when dealing with space flight...

Its guestimation that rules....

The thread had "irrelevent" and 'brainbender". So I made a joke. Oh, and yes I don't care. Is that relevent?

Uh... NO :P :D
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mech-Viper wrote:
Does anyone really care?
how dare you ask a question like this where is my beating stick..............................here it is :thwak:but to answer your questions
1. huh?
2. huh?
4. sorry bro this way above my pay-grade, so i guess my answer for this one is no
5. huh?

:lol: :lol: You do realize that for whatever reason your thwak didn't work but mine does here :thwak: :P Just because of you this thread shall here on out be known as the SPAM thread... unofficially of course :P
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Mech-Viper wrote:
Does anyone really care?
1. huh?
2. huh?
5. huh?

:lol: :lol: You do realize that for whatever reason your thwak didn't work but mine does here :thwak: :P Just because of you this thread shall here on out be known as the SPAM thread... unofficially of course :P
no, just this subject its not my cup of tea but i figure i put my 2 cents in anyway
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

more absurdity.

the slowest stable LEO (Low Earth orbit) is a velocity of 7,800 m/s.

doing the math.....thats 26 palladium mach.

so in PB's steady speed space rules, no ship can actually make orbit.
assuming accelleration, your looking at 5.2 hours at palladium mach5 before reaching orbital speed.

can you imagine if we tried to build a spaceshuttle that took 5 hours to lift from the pad to orbit? it would never manage to get off the ground. it would constantly stall out.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:more absurdity.

assuming accelleration, your looking at 5.2 hours at palladium mach5 before reaching orbital speed.

can you imagine if we tried to build a spaceshuttle that took 5 hours to lift from the pad to orbit? it would never manage to get off the ground. it would constantly stall out.

That is to maintain not to break. Are they the same? At the same time this is a strange concept to me. I figure gravity should get weaker the farther you are from the body. Ok so why does it take more effort to break gravity than it does for me to lift a coke can? Shouldn't the speed required to do so be relative to the mass of the object?
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Does anyone really care?

sound does not travel in space, the particles there are simply too far apart to support a sound wave, hence mach is 0 or non exsistant. 3 mach in space is still 0.

Mach is generaly considered 660 MPH so that is probably what Palladium meant.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Dulhirest wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

That is to maintain not to break. Are they the same? At the same time this is a strange concept to me. I figure gravity should get weaker the farther you are from the body. Ok so why does it take more effort to break gravity than it does for me to lift a coke can? Shouldn't the speed required to do so be relative to the mass of the object?

One is Orbital Velocity and the other is Escape Velocity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity

From Wiki: On the surface of the Earth the escape velocity is about 11.2 kilometres per second. However, at 9000 km altitude in "space", it is slightly less than 7.1 km/s.

So yes it does diminish with distance from Earth. This does not take atmospheric friction into account though. Also, the order of magnitude for the change in mass required to notice a difference is really large (much larger than a coke can vs. a ship)... Any specialists here?

Wow thanks for the research. Glad to know that glitterboy2098 was slightly incorrect.

Wow so mach 35 is 11.2km/s right? 11.2x60x60*.6214/700 and only reduced to mach 22 at 9000km (mach measured at sea level... of course).
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Thinyser wrote:
Does anyone really care?

sound does not travel in space, the particles there are simply too far apart to support a sound wave, hence mach is 0 or non exsistant. 3 mach in space is still 0.

Mach is generaly considered 660 MPH so that is probably what Palladium meant.

:D
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Phalanx wrote:Yes, Earth's gravity does diminish the farther away you get from it. As the gravitational constant for the Earth is so large, the gravity from the flying object's mass is usually neglected in calculating orbital and escape velocities.

FYI: I am an aerospace engineer... so, yes, Palladium's take on spaceflight annoys the hell out of me. :D

:lol: I was ALMOST a rocket electronics technician with NASA via the USAF but the USAF contracted that AFSC out. :(
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Zer0 Kay wrote:

Gravity does "fall-off" as you come further from the body "generating" the field. The strength of the force of gravity effecting you is the inversely porportional to it's distance on an obscene scale. I think it's called the inverse square law.

In fact, if memory serves, the computer you're sitting in front of has more of a gravitational attraction on you that does Jupiter, which out-masses it by an obscene factor.

As to why it takes so much energy to reach orbit, it's the energy required to attain and maintain escape velocity. After all, part of it is the mutual attraction between the rocket, and the earth, and the mass of the rocket. Simply LIFTING that much mass out of a gravity well requires alot of energy...as I recall, the increase in energy to lift a mass is not 1:1.
Fnord

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Borast wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Gravity does "fall-off" as you come further from the body "generating" the field. The strength of the force of gravity effecting you is the inversely porportional to it's distance on an obscene scale. I think it's called the inverse square law.

In fact, if memory serves, the computer you're sitting in front of has more of a gravitational attraction on you that does Jupiter, which out-masses it by an obscene factor.

As to why it takes so much energy to reach orbit, it's the energy required to attain and maintain escape velocity. After all, part of it is the mutual attraction between the rocket, and the earth, and the mass of the rocket. Simply LIFTING that much mass out of a gravity well requires alot of energy...as I recall, the increase in energy to lift a mass is not 1:1.

which is what i was pointing out.

no matter how you blurb it, the palladium space travel system is tragically flawed. steady speed is too low to even breach atmosphere, accelleration is either too low to reach orbit (mph per hour), or too high to survive (mph per second). assuming accelleration over a 15 second period might work, but it makes the math very difficult to handle.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

i prefer to use a G's of accelleration system. i've been working on for phase world, that uses measurements of distance in 10,000 km (1/30th of a light second), and that uses G's of accelleration to determain velocity (measured in multiples of 10k km per melee)

its a little less math heavy than most.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

then they can pull off insane G's of accelleration.

basically, the only speed limt i've put on drives is physics. chemical drives top out at only a small % of light (but fuel issues are more noticable), atomic drives are a bit better (still have fuel issues), fusion and anti-matter can get very high velcties. (all connected to the energy available to accellerate the reaction mass. the top speed is the point where the energy imparted by the drive and the energy needed to accellerate the ship cancel each other out. [i just pulled numbers out my rear though. its scifi, sticking too close to physics'll drive you nuts.])

gravitic drives "speed limit" is the same, but they pretty much top off at 50% or more of light. just watch out for relitivity.

most battles however, see ships coasting, using drives only to manuver. some battles might take place in a chase/pursuit arrangement, where the ships are all on the same course and barely move relitive to each other.

i'm also inproving ranges, lasers generally engage at 1 light second (about 2/3rd the distance to the moon)[although less powerful guns might be less due to beam coheasion), while other energy weapons tend to top out around 1/3rd that. ballistics are point blank in comparison. missiles have drives able to accellerate at set speeds, and have a duration of drive. so they can have huge ranges, especially in bombardment use, where the drive can burn out and the missiles keeps going.

if you read Honor Harrington, you get a good feel for the mechanics.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

They only list the speeds in Mach because it's what most players would be familiar with. If you feel that the speeds are wrong, please submit your fix to the Rifter, or here. Also, according to Robotech and Phase World, the speed increases when in space, due to less gravity pull. I believe the increase is 50% to 75% mormal speed, not entirely sure.[/i]
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

glitterboy2098 wrote:if you read Honor Harrington, you get a good feel for the mechanics.

Good books, those! I think a ship-of-the-wall from that universe would probably pulp most anything Phase World has to offer. :lol:

The easiest semi-realistic space speed model I can think of is to give each ship an acceleration rating of x distance per melee(^2), and also measure velocity in the same units. During combat, allow ships to accelerate once per melee round (at the beginning?).

In the simple case of two ships, A and B, where A is trying to catch B, each ship has a starting velocity, and a certain maximum acceleration, and they start separated by a certain distance. A round would go something like this:

1) Each ship adds its acceleration to its velocity.
2) Subtract to get the relative velocity ( pursuer's velocity - prey's velocity ) then subtract this result from the separation distance between them. Obviously, if the prey is going faster, the separation distance increases.
3) Shoot at each other, and fun stuph like that. :)

A bit of math in there, but I suppose if you choose the units and values right for this system, it's not too onerous, say keeping everything in multiples of 5 or 10...

Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Phalanx wrote:In Mattbaby's ill-fated Phase World campaign, we treated it as a "Mark" number instead... a system of relative values like "Impulse Speed" in Star Trek.

Actually, ST "Impulse" was not relative... It was absolute. Half Impulse was 1/2 "c"... :D

In any case, I prefer a "G" based system for STL speeds. :D
Fnord

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

MaddogMatarese wrote:They only list the speeds in Mach because it's what most players would be familiar with. If you feel that the speeds are wrong, please submit your fix to the Rifter, or here. Also, according to Robotech and Phase World, the speed increases when in space, due to less gravity pull. I believe the increase is 50% to 75% mormal speed, not entirely sure.[/i]
Normally double normal speed and usually not because of gravity alone because of lack of drag.
BigLEE
Explorer

Unread post by BigLEE »

Keldonus wrote:
Borast wrote:
In any case, I prefer a "G" based system for STL speeds. :D

That doesn't quite jive...

"G" is a measure of acceleration, 9.8 meters per second per second

Speed is just meters per second.

So, you need a different unit of measurement for speed/velocity. Mach works well. You could just, for space's sake, fix it at a certain speed, such as the speed of sound at sea level, which would be the highest number for sound within air, isn't it?

Maybe, for STL speeds that are reasonably fast, some sort of standard could be adopted, like "Light Seconds per hour", or "Light Minutes per hour", or some such. Would make it semi-Metric (though base 60...) and easily scalable for slower speeds (light seconds) or faster (light minutes). 60 Light Minutes per hour would be the speed of light, correct? So, 30 light-minutes per hour (LMph?) would be half, 15 LMph would be one-quarter, 6 LMph would be one-tenth, 0.6 would be one one-hundredth, and so on.

Much tidier than dealing with very high Mach numbers.

Why would you need a measure for velocity? In space you are accelerating, drifting, or deccelerating. If you have limited fuel supplies, knowing your coasting speed might be worthwhile, but all the interesting stuff is going to be happening when your applying thrust. Consequently "G" are much more meaningful than any measure of velocity.
RainOfSteel
Champion

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

Keldonus wrote:
Borast wrote:In any case, I prefer a "G" based system for STL speeds. :D

I think Borast means it as a ship's rating of acceleration, as that is what allows a ship to reach any particular velocity.

I use Gs of acceleration available as a performance number for all starship descriptions I write up. (Mach numbers only appear for atmospheric performance.)
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
RainOfSteel
Champion

Res_Novae wrote:If your drifting, you would need to know velocity.

Oh, absolutely. In space, your velocity will always be some X km/sec. value. (But it will never be a Mach number.)

When the ship or ship's crew wants to change their velocity (or direction), that X km/sec. value is modified by the acceleration capacity available.
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

RainOfSteel wrote:
Keldonus wrote:
Borast wrote:In any case, I prefer a "G" based system for STL speeds. :D

I think Borast means it as a ship's rating of acceleration, as that is what allows a ship to reach any particular velocity.

I use Gs of acceleration available as a performance number for all starship descriptions I write up. (Mach numbers only appear for atmospheric performance.)

That is precisely what I mean.

That plus in most games you can expect to not see any form of compensation for accelleration, so you have to keep in mind the point at which people tend to pass out due to accelleration...especially in cases of prolonged accelleration. :D
Fnord

Gomen_Nagai

Treat Mach as 1 Km/sec. problem solved.
RainOfSteel
Champion

Gomen_Nagai wrote:Treat Mach as 1 Km/sec. problem solved.

If we avoid using Mach numbers in space, the problem is also solved.

Besides, the number 1km/sec. by itself is useless. Vessels in space don't have "max speeds"*, they have acceleration capacities made available by a propulsion system. (Those propulsion systems are limited by reaction mass (RM) or power. I personally prefer propulsion systems that do not rely on RM, as RM calculations are a pain in the neck.)

* In the same sense that a vehicle in an atmosphere does. If RM or power run out on a vessel in space, it has effectively reached its maximum speed.
RainOfSteel
Champion

Geronimo 2.0 wrote:PB space games physics are so bad that that even Glen Larson would wince.

Ow! That's a low blow, Geronimo 2.0.

As I have always said, if you ignore all points of discussion related to travel between the stars, the original BG series suddenly becomes far less painful to watch.

I suppose that can be applied here, as well. If we ignore all reference to the use of Mach number in space in PB products, dealing with space vehicles suddenly becomes more believable.
Gomen_Nagai

RainOfSteel wrote:
Gomen_Nagai wrote:Treat Mach as 1 Km/sec. problem solved.

If we avoid using Mach numbers in space, the problem is also solved.

Besides, the number 1km/sec. by itself is useless. Vessels in space don't have "max speeds"*, they have acceleration capacities made available by a propulsion system. (Those propulsion systems are limited by reaction mass (RM) or power. I personally prefer propulsion systems that do not rely on RM, as RM calculations are a pain in the neck.)

* In the same sense that a vehicle in an atmosphere does. If RM or power run out on a vessel in space, it has effectively reached its maximum speed.

No, you Don't run into RM Crap. you use Slip streamed rules such as the ones presented in AUGG.
or you can Divide Fuel range by " Mach" and get how much burn time you get.
RainOfSteel
Champion

Gomen_Nagai wrote:No, you Don't run into RM Crap. you use Slip streamed rules such as the ones presented in AUGG.
or you can Divide Fuel range by " Mach" and get how much burn time you get.

Yes, you can do that. Naturally, since "Mach" has no meaning of any kind in space, I do not want to.
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Mach numbers are silly for space travel, especially Palladium's Mach numbers. What's the fastest speed they list for any spacecraft, Mach 20 or so? That's a 17-hour (straight line) trip from the Earth to the Moon. Not terribly exciting, as sci-fi spacecraft go. :lol:

Your ability to accelerate is all that actually matters, outside of an atmosphere.

Gomen_Nagai

actually prior to AU GG's rules, I generally only doubled speeds per hour of travel, given how long it takes for Space shuttles to accelerate and decelerate into orbital speed/landing speed. i believe the current rules Double speed every X number of melees per doubling.
1 melee , double, 2 melees , quadruple , etc, until penalties are -20.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

One key point in this topic is the real life stats of the space shuttles on launch.

They go from a relative resting velocity of "0" before ignition to almost 200kph in the height of the launch gantry, and crashes through the sound barrier before it hits 300 metres! By the time it reaches a relative position down range of 16kms or so it's moving mach 10 or so.

As SOOoooo many people before me have noted...Palladium has not put up stats on ANY vehicles that could actually make it to orbit from Earth's surface.
Fnord

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Why is this irrelivent thread still going?
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Borast wrote:One key point in this topic is the real life stats of the space shuttles on launch.

They go from a relative resting velocity of "0" before ignition to almost 200kph in the height of the launch gantry, and crashes through the sound barrier before it hits 300 metres! By the time it reaches a relative position down range of 16kms or so it's moving mach 10 or so.

0 to 660 miles per hour in 300 meters?!?!?

Call me skeptical, but where did you find this stat?
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
RainOfSteel
Champion

Borast wrote:As SOOoooo many people before me have noted...Palladium has not put up stats on ANY vehicles that could actually make it to orbit from Earth's surface.

Nowhere (in Rifts-Earth books)?

I'll have to do some digging.

Return to “Rifts®”