UR: A roll of one always misses

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

grandmaster z0b
Champion

UR: A roll of one always misses

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Is this new to Rifts?
Rifts Ultimate Edition page 346 wrote:A roll of one always misses regardless of bonuses.

I've always played a one as a critical miss/failure but I didn't think it was canon.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".

Unread post by Guest »

Yes, it's new to Rifts, it made it's first appearance in BTS2.
finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

if its new then why does my second pringting of the original RMB say that a natural roll of 1-4 always misses regardless of bonus?

Unread post by Guest »

finn69 wrote:if its new then why does my second pringting of the original RMB say that a natural roll of 1-4 always misses regardless of bonus?

Editing error.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

finn69 wrote:if its new then why does my second pringting of the original RMB say that a natural roll of 1-4 always misses regardless of bonus?

Where does it say that? My fourth printing says
RMB wrote:If the result is a four or less (counting bonuses), then the attacker misses.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".

Unread post by Guest »

grandmaster z0b wrote:

Where does it say that? My fourth printing says
RMB wrote:If the result is a four or less (counting bonuses), then the attacker misses.

That's also what my third printing states, however, I don't have my second printing here to check the validity of finn's statement.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

It doesn't.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Ditto, 1-4 not being an auto-miss was one of the first house rules my group used...and that was back in 92/93.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Marrowlight wrote:Ditto, 1-4 not being an auto-miss was one of the first house rules my group used...and that was back in 92/93.

Funny how your house rule was actually the way it was supposed to be played all along.
I also just noticed this
Rifts Ultimate page 361 wrote:All ranged attacks: Requires a roll of 8 to strike (including WP and Sniping bonuses)

So most of the time a roll of 2,3 or 4 will miss.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

AdeptPaladin wrote:p40 (A roll of 1, 2, 3, or 4 is an automatic miss.).. makes no mention of bonuses, unfortunately.

However, I've always played rolling 1 as a 'critical failure'..

same here.

"1" critical failure
2-4...even with bonuses misses

Its worked for us all this time.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Re: UR: A roll of one always misses

Unread post by Dead Boy »

grandmaster z0b wrote:Is this new to Rifts?
Rifts Ultimate Edition page 346 wrote:A roll of one always misses regardless of bonuses.

I've always played a one as a critical miss/failure but I didn't think it was canon.

Hu... That is new! Not even my 7th pringing of the Rifts Main Book or 1st printing of the RGMG says that. Interesting.

What's even more interesting is that it does NOT say the same thing under the Ranged Combat section even though it does denoted the critical hit off a Natural 20. Could it be that this is only related to hand to hand melee?
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Dead Boy wrote:

Hu... That is new! Not even my 7th pringing of the Rifts Main Book or 1st printing of the RGMG says that. Interesting.

What's even more interesting is that it does NOT say the same thing under the Ranged Combat section even though it does denoted the critical hit off a Natural 20. Could it be that this is only related to hand to hand melee?

Well as the new number to hit with ranged weaponry is 8, I don't think a roll of 1 would ever hit anyway, who's going to have +7?
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Solothurn wrote:How about 1-4 as a progressive series of effects. 4 just a miss, 3 a miss with a perctentage of another effect(insert here), 2 hits something along the similar line of sight with a percentage of hitting an innocent bystander or one of your own team mates(insert percentage here), and 1 you accidently hit/shot yourself.

That means that every 20 times a trained soldier pulls the trigger, he hits himself once. A bit extreme, don't you think?
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Guess they were tired of those players who can never miss because there first level bonus to strike with "modern" weapons is over 5. I think a called should miss if it's not above a natural 10.

We have a guy in our game who has a +11 at first level... he did have a +12 but then he switched from a SAMAS: Sidewinder to a Tech Warrior. From what I recall all to strike bonuses didn't count toward weapons unless it specifically said so. However he says that the to strike in PA combat counts toward it, and it is supported in the example of modern combat where it states where the combatant is getting the bonuses from. A question the Elite PA combat listed with the PA is that in addition to that found in the RMB or the R:UE or does it replace them?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mack wrote:
Solothurn wrote:How about 1-4 as a progressive series of effects. 4 just a miss, 3 a miss with a perctentage of another effect(insert here), 2 hits something along the similar line of sight with a percentage of hitting an innocent bystander or one of your own team mates(insert percentage here), and 1 you accidently hit/shot yourself.

That means that every 20 times a trained soldier pulls the trigger, he hits himself once. A bit extreme, don't you think?
That would be but how about if he rolls a 1 re roll a 20 and that produces different effects?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Zayin wrote:

I've noticed many of my house rules have become "canonized" in R:UE.

Don't get too cocky :D it just means they made sense, not that your famous :P
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

1 would be always be miss.

If I (as the guy posting) rolled a 1 on strike roll to shoot a 9mm Automatic Pistol; I should get a good chance for critical miss because I have no WP Automatic pistol.

But I guess some thought of that...(too lazy to read the rest of the posts...)
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
ghost2020
Adventurer

Unread post by ghost2020 »

We've always used a rolled 1-4 always misses. It works fine, there should always be a chance for a miss in combat.

Unread post by Guest »

Takilong wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Guess they were tired of those players who can never miss because there first level bonus to strike with "modern" weapons is over 5. I think a called should miss if it's not above a natural 10.

We have a guy in our game who has a +11 at first level... he did have a +12 but then he switched from a SAMAS: Sidewinder to a Tech Warrior. From what I recall all to strike bonuses didn't count toward weapons unless it specifically said so. However he says that the to strike in PA combat counts toward it, and it is supported in the example of modern combat where it states where the combatant is getting the bonuses from. A question the Elite PA combat listed with the PA is that in addition to that found in the RMB or the R:UE or does it replace them?

actualy the book say you need a roll of 12 or better to hit on a called shot
Not quite. What it says is to hit the specific target, you need a 12 or better, failure meaning if you still roll a normal successful hit, you hit the main body, unless the target is moving, in which case you need a 12 or better to hit at all.
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
Takilong wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Guess they were tired of those players who can never miss because there first level bonus to strike with "modern" weapons is over 5. I think a called should miss if it's not above a natural 10.

Not quite. What it says is to hit the specific target, you need a 12 or better, failure meaning if you still roll a normal successful hit, you hit the main body, unless the target is moving, in which case you need a 12 or better to hit at all.
I always house ruled you need a 19 to hit on a called shot on a moving target. 5 to hit + 7 for called shot or moving target +14 for called shot AND moving target.
:fool:
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Temporal anomaly?
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.

Unread post by Guest »

Solothurn wrote:
Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
Takilong wrote:

Actually there is no set standard minimum for a called shot in its description. The minimum of 12 is more a "called shot attribute modifier" in the specific description for whatever it is you are shooting at that would be elsewhere in the books, which just happens to use minimum of 12 alot. If you go to page 361 of UR, second coloumn under Quick References and then under Called Shot, there is no preset standard of minimum of 12. It just says "takes three attacks; possible penalties for small targets". Which is more a generalization which then would imply that its possible that there could be different minimums other than 12. The other more comprehensive definition in the first column states the same thing.

For a more realistic situation lets say the target is moving, it is -1 strike plus -1 to strike per 50 mph beyond 20, and another -1 on top of all that if the target declares using evasive action.

So for an aimed(+2) called shot(no bonuses) of a target that is moving from 1mph up to 20mph(-1), and is evasive(-1) you have to roll....... a mimumum of 5 or more, +2(aimed)-1(1-20mph and not going faster than that)-1(evasiveness) would = 5 or more to hit the target using a Aimed Called Shot. BUT, if there is a modifier in the hit by location list, in which, usually comes with a *, then you would have to start at the minimum to strike, which happens to be minimum of natural 12. Then you go by all the other modifiers. Oh ya it would take 3 attacks to do it. 2attacks for a non-aimed called shot.

The mimimum of 12 is just an extra mod based on the description of the target, not the rule.

I was referring to the pre-Splicers era combat rules, where 12 was the target number for called shots. Luckily it still works that way in HU2, ATB2, and other games that have called shots prior to the changes to the ranged combat rules that appeared in Splicers (which I don't use).
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Re: 1-4 Misses

RevRifts wrote:Where does Rue only say a 1 is a miss?

If you look at the first post it gives the page number RUE : page 346, under "miss". The point is not does a 1-4 with bonuses misses but that a roll of one with or without bonuses always misses. A critical miss that's new to Rifts.
RevRifts wrote:On pg. 339 last sentence column 2. "A roll of 1-4 is always a miss; that's true in both hand to hand and long-range combat."

I don't think this is a bad rule and have been playing 1-4 is a miss since '90.
One day I put on some boxing gloves and realized 1-4 as a miss is quite realistic. You'd be surprised how many times a blow you thought you'd land easily ends up just short. That's my real-life experience in melee combat, and seeing as how my only experience in missile combat is paintball I can't really say how realistic it is for long-range attacks (Paintballs miss on a 1-15 :) ).
I think I'll stick with 1-4 as a miss, it keeps both the important NPCs and the PCs alive more often.
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

"Critical misses" are at least as old as Oct 2004 when both Splicers and BtS2 came out with them. I suspect the latest printing of the GMG has it as well. Besides, iirc, this has been in PF forever so it's not exactly new ground for Palladium.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
grandmaster z0b
Champion

demos606 wrote:"Critical misses" are at least as old as Oct 2004 when both Splicers and BtS2 came out with them. I suspect the latest printing of the GMG has it as well. Besides, iirc, this has been in PF forever so it's not exactly new ground for Palladium.

It is new to Rifts, and I'm almost sure that the latest printing of the GMG doesn't have them.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

It actually says "regardless of bonus"? Because i have not seen that in the older books anywhere...
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Last time I checked a natural die roll of 1 to 4 was an automatic miss on ranged weapons, and a natural die roll of 1 to 4 on hand to hand attacks misses only if whatever bonuses you may have didn't add up to 5 or higher. Someone's getting the combat rules mixed up, I think.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

MaddogMatarese wrote:Last time I checked a natural die roll of 1 to 4 was an automatic miss on ranged weapons, and a natural die roll of 1 to 4 on hand to hand attacks misses only if whatever bonuses you may have didn't add up to 5 or higher. Someone's getting the combat rules mixed up, I think.

:-? I think your getting your combat rules mixed up. :-? The original rules state quite clearly that a roll of 1-4 (including bonuses) is a miss, whether it's a ranged or hand2hand attack. This is the way it has always been.

RUE changes that so that a ranged attack needs an 8 or better and a 1 will always miss no matter what the bonus. Honestly I'm surpirsed the amount of people who have been playing a natural 1-4 always misses and thought it was canon.
The Beast

AdeptPaladin wrote:13th Printing, 2000

p35 (A roll of less then 4 [counting bonuses] always misses..)..

p40 (A roll of 1, 2, 3, or 4 is an automatic miss.).. makes no mention of bonuses, unfortunately.

However, I've always played rolling 1 as a 'critical failure'..

Same with my 4th printing. Also, page 35 = Hand to Hand section, page 40 = Modern Weapons section. Everyone I've known takes that to mean a natural roll.
The Beast

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:
grandmaster z0b wrote:
Dead Boy wrote:

Well as the new number to hit with ranged weaponry is 8, I don't think a roll of 1 would ever hit anyway, who's going to have +7?

A GB pilot with the appropriate skills can get up to....a +10 at first level with the boom gun on an aimed shot I believe if you do it right but I can't remember how.

WP Heavy Energy Weapon = +3.
Weapon Systems = +1.
Laser Targeting = +1.
Advanced Laser Targeting for the Boom Gun = +2.
Sniper = +2.
Close Proximity Bonus = +1.

This gives your GB pilot a +10 to strike.
The Beast

Solothurn wrote:For a more realistic situation lets say the target is moving, it is -1 strike plus -1 to strike per 50 mph beyond 20, and another -1 on top of all that if the target declares using evasive action.

Actually hitting a moving target is -3, and one moving at 40mph or more is -6. Of course this is with conventional weapons, I'm not sure if that rule applies to energy weapons.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

MaddogMatarese wrote:
Solothurn wrote:For a more realistic situation lets say the target is moving, it is -1 strike plus -1 to strike per 50 mph beyond 20, and another -1 on top of all that if the target declares using evasive action.

Actually hitting a moving target is -3, and one moving at 40mph or more is -6. Of course this is with conventional weapons, I'm not sure if that rule applies to energy weapons.

Sol is citing the rules from RUE, although he got a slightly different interpretation from them than I did.
RUE, p. 361

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Killer Cyborg
Priest

grandmaster z0b wrote:
MaddogMatarese wrote:Last time I checked a natural die roll of 1 to 4 was an automatic miss on ranged weapons, and a natural die roll of 1 to 4 on hand to hand attacks misses only if whatever bonuses you may have didn't add up to 5 or higher. Someone's getting the combat rules mixed up, I think.

:-? I think your getting your combat rules mixed up. :-? The original rules state quite clearly that a roll of 1-4 (including bonuses) is a miss, whether it's a ranged or hand2hand attack. This is the way it has always been.

RUE changes that so that a ranged attack needs an 8 or better and a 1 will always miss no matter what the bonus. Honestly I'm surpirsed the amount of people who have been playing a natural 1-4 always misses and thought it was canon.

It always astounds me.

Return to “Rifts®”