Rarity of gems on earth.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RainOfSteel
Champion

Re: Rarity of gems on earth.

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

Kittenstomp wrote:I think one of the major factors against crazy techno-wizard weapons with 100 karat stones is that it's very difficult to find a lot of these gems. (Read posting.php?mode=reply&t=46390 for more info) Most of this info is drawn from Wikipedia.

Kittenstomp,

<Psst. />

That link doesn't go anywhere.

EDIT-----
Ok, the link got fixed.

Admins/Mods, feel free to delete this post (I can't anymore, the delete option is gone).
Last edited by RainOfSteel on Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
RainOfSteel
Champion

This link may also be helpful: Stone Master Gem Powers, by Eric Cline.
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
RainOfSteel
Champion

Kittenstomp wrote:Diamonds can only be found in Africa and Russia in large quantities with smaller quantities available in Canada and Brazil.

Diamonds may be found in the USA.

See: Crater of Diamonds.
RainOfSteel
Champion

Let us remember that Rifts Earth has been massively altered.

Current gemstone locations may not be applicable in PA Earth.
RainOfSteel
Champion

Kittenstomp wrote:Ivory can only be found well...traditionally only in africa...

What about India?
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

I would think that with gems being used as jewelry until the catacysm (at which time they could have become legal tender!) you could find just about any type of jem anywhere in the world.

Take for example Tanzanite which can only be mined in east Africa. This doesn't mean that you can't be buy Tanzanite in the U.S. or Europe, it just isn't found there naturally.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

THIS IS RIFTS! TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF! :D
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Astral_Explorer
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Astral_Explorer »

Well rarity of gems really depends. Your not limited to gemstones just from earth. You have cities like the Atlantean one in South America where the streets REALLY are studded with gemstones.

You have places like Atlantis where I am sure some of those visiting use gems from their home worlds/dimensions to pay for goods.

Even Tolkeen, and most likely Lazlo, and places in the Federation of Magic that have access to other worlds might quite possibly offer a chance to travel to other worlds to gain gemstones.

Heck just one dimensional hop to a place like Phase World with tons of planets and space travel and you have the resources of many worlds which can be called upon.

While gemstones in the wild should be rare, there are other ways that political entities and individuals could aquire such things.
Proud Member of the Coalition States Postal Service !!!

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Kittenstomp wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:THIS IS RIFTS! TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF! :D

:P I'm the GM, I keep my brain on so that I can torment you poor fools.

allright then...

remember that only lists what jewels are native to Earth.

such jewels can exist in countless dimensions.

who knows how many have been influxed though interdimensioal trade?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

What about old pre-Rifts jewelry?

I can't find diamonds in the ground around here but I bet you I can find hundreds at the mall.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

*shrugs* Just put together a good, high-tech vapor deposition setup, and you can synthesize gems as big as you want them. :lol:
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
RainOfSteel
Champion

Kittenstomp wrote:The malls that are still standing and haven't been looted yet? I'm sure they're all over the place.

By PA 109, every standing mall in NA has probably been looted.
RainOfSteel
Champion

Qev wrote:*shrugs* Just put together a good, high-tech vapor deposition setup, and you can synthesize gems as big as you want them. :lol:

That does not work for all gemstones.

Lapis Lazuli cannot be made that way, for instance.

EDIT-------------------
I would say that carat size requirements triple in TW items for artificial gems in order to produce the same effect.

If you accept my proposal for limiting the carat size that a TW can work with (TW Level = Max Carat Size), that will boot artificial gems right out of the ballpark for most cases.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

RainOfSteel wrote:By PA 109, every standing mall in NA has probably been looted.

Which means there are a lot in circulation.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
DrBeau
Wanderer

Unread post by DrBeau »

RainOfSteel wrote:By PA 109, every standing mall in NA has probably been looted.

Who said anything about standing malls? If we are talking about diamonds...they aren't going to break because some cement fell on them.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I always went with the adundance of Pre-Rifts jewelry. I found this shiny stone, now give me a recharge for my ion blaster in trade.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
RockJock
Knight

Here is a list of common gemstones by state. Many things like amber and agate are very widespread, if not common.

Alabama: Quartz

Arizona: amber, amethyst, azurite, chrysocolla, fire agate, garnet, malachite, obsidian, peridot, turquise

Arkansas:amber, diamonds, all varieties of quartz.

California: tourmaline, benitoite, garnet, jade, morganite, topaz(mainly blue), kunzite

Colorado: quartz, topaz, amazonite, aquamarine, rhodochrosite.

Connecticut garnet.

Florida: moonstone.

Georgia: Quartz

Idaho: garnet, aquamarine, opal.

Kentucky: agate.

Lousiana: agate.

Maine :tourmaline, various micas, aquamarine, heliodor, morganite, amethyst.

Montana: sapphire, agate.

Nebraska: agate.

Nevada: torquise, opa, peridote, tourquise.

New Hampshire: Quartz.

New Mexico: Tourquise.

New York: garnet, tourmaline, moonstone.

North Carolina: diamonds, ruby, sapphire, emerald, hiddenite, spodumene.

Oregon: agate including Thunder Eggs, feldspar, opal.

South Carolina: amethyst.

South Dakota: agate.

Texas: topaz, amber, agate.

Utah: topaz.

Wisconsin: ruby.

Wyoming: jade.

This is by no means an exhaustive list. Somethings like the jade in CA is in only one or two locations like Jade Cove just north of San Simeon, and comes from my own experiences.
Astral_Explorer
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Astral_Explorer »

Just hunt one they regenerate, :D
Proud Member of the Coalition States Postal Service !!!

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Kittenstomp wrote:
RainOfSteel wrote:Let us remember that Rifts Earth has been massively altered.

Current gemstone locations may not be applicable in PA Earth.

This is true. The point I'm just trying to make is that making many TW devices will either require herculean trips across the globe, elementals or dimensional commerce.

Repeat after me "Earth warlocks are my friend!"
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Kittenstomp wrote:
Qev wrote:*shrugs* Just put together a good, high-tech vapor deposition setup, and you can synthesize gems as big as you want them. :lol:

Artificial gems cannot be used by Techno-Wizards. I don't have the book in front of me, but it says so in the new rules.

Somehow, I knew Palladium would throw in some arbitrary 'difference' between 'natural' and synthetic gems. Why does everyone always do that? :lol:

(yeah, yeah, I know... game balance) :)
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
RainOfSteel
Champion

Qev wrote:
Kittenstomp wrote:

Artificial gems cannot be used by Techno-Wizards. I don't have the book in front of me, but it says so in the new rules.

Somehow, I knew Palladium would throw in some arbitrary 'difference' between 'natural' and synthetic gems. Why does everyone always do that? :lol:

Mystically speaking, a gem created over millions of years has plenty of time to soak up and become attunted to magical energies.

Artificial gems were made yesterday, so they have no attunement.

I suppose some process could exist to make them so attuned, but it would probably be expensive and time consuming.
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

Just a thought but if our solar systems astroid belt contains millions of asteroids that are composed of almost 100% carbon, what do you think the odds that those asteroids were being mined during the golden age? I have my chips on that they were. It is estimated that one of those asteroids could contain more gem stones than the entire continent of Africa. And there are millions of them. This doesn't even take into account interdimensional trade.
Last edited by Jesterzzn on Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:fool:
RainOfSteel
Champion

AdeptPaladin wrote:A Songjuicer, who creates liquid PPE could in theory use said PPE to create a pure PPE crystal synthetically.

I read, "A Songjuicer, who creates liquid PPE," and my mind immediately wandered off thinking about a PPE Juicer powered by liquid PPE drugs. Woot! :demon:
Jesterzzn
Champion

AdeptPaladin wrote:A Songjuicer, who creates liquid PPE could in theory use said PPE to create a pure PPE crystal synthetically.
The "philosopher's stone" was thought to me made by ancient alchemist as a tool for channeling the bodies energys. It was said to be made of the pure human energy that is not male nor female. Or something like that. :)
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

RainOfSteel wrote:
Qev wrote:
Kittenstomp wrote:

Mystically speaking, a gem created over millions of years has plenty of time to soak up and become attunted to magical energies.

Artificial gems were made yesterday, so they have no attunement.

I suppose some process could exist to make them so attuned, but it would probably be expensive and time consuming.

Well... I suppose it matters what the gems actually do in these magical artifacts. Are they acting as focii, or batteries, or power sources themselves?

Mmm... besides, you could always construct your vapour deposition lab on top of a major nexus point. That should solve the 'magical attunement' problem. Spontaneous rifting of random monsters into the facility is such a minor issue that it hardly bears mentioning... :lol:

Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

an unscrupulous Alchemist/technowizard can simply harvest scales off Crystal dragons which work as ANY stone that the mage may need.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

I doubt people were looting diamonds when the Rifts opened up, far more likely to loot food, guns, ammunition, alcohol, medical equipment etc. I don't think any jewel would be very valuable at that stage.

But a hundred years later all of a sudden there's a new demand for jewels created by the TW industry. I can see Techno Wizards at Lazlo buying up jewels big time and driving the price back up to the current levels. It would also create the demand for trade routes from all over the megaverse, if anything there could be more jems in circulation than now.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

grandmaster z0b wrote:I doubt people were looting diamonds when the Rifts opened up, far more likely to loot food, guns, ammunition, alcohol, medical equipment etc. I don't think any jewel would be very valuable at that stage.

Fact is people would loot a jewelry store during an apocalyptic situation because the gems and precious metals found in the store would have more value as legal tender then paper money. Coin money might be worth something but that depends on how much sliver is found in the coins.

But a hundred years later all of a sudden there's a new demand for jewels created by the TW industry. I can see Techno Wizards at Lazlo buying up jewels big time and driving the price back up to the current levels. It would also create the demand for trade routes from all over the megaverse, if anything there could be more jems in circulation than now.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
RockJock
Knight

Carbon and diamonds are not the same thing. You need high T and P to go along with it.

As far as we know most asteroids are not particularly carbon rich. Instead they average to 90% of more silicates, with 5-6% metal and a small percentage of carbon rich materials.

While carbon isn't hugely abundant as % compostion of the earth, it isn't rare by any means.
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

I shudder to think what a powerful mage in the Phase World setting might do with a neutron star. Theoretically, they may have an outer crust composed of diamond... not to mention, neutronium itself could be considered a peculiar type of 'crystal'. :lol:

Jesterzzn
Champion

RockJock wrote:Carbon and diamonds are not the same thing. You need high T and P to go along with it.

As far as we know most asteroids are not particularly carbon rich. Instead they average to 90% of more silicates, with 5-6% metal and a small percentage of carbon rich materials.

While carbon isn't hugely abundant as % compostion of the earth, it isn't rare by any means.

NASA disagrees with your percentages. :-?

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/text/asteroids.txt
The majority of asteroids fall into the following three
categories:

C-type (carbonaceous): Includes more than 75 percent
of known asteroids. Very dark with an albedo of 0.03-0.09.
Composition is thought to be similar to the Sun, depleted in
hydrogen, helium, and other volatiles. C-type asteroids
inhabit the main belt's outer regions.

· S-type (silicaceous): Accounts for about 17 percent
of known asteroids. Relatively bright with an albedo of
0.10-0.22. Composition is metallic iron mixed with iron- and
magnesium-silicates. S-type asteroids dominate the inner
asteroid belt.

· M-type (metallic): Includes many of the rest of the
known asteroids. Relatively bright with an albedo of 0.10-
0.18. Composition is apparently dominated by metallic iron.
M-type asteroids inhabit the main belt's middle region.

Also maybe you should read about these asteroids:
http://www.uwrf.edu/~wc01/PeridotAst.html
As they are almost completely made up of a certain semi precious stone. This article also talks about the required T and P you mentioned.

Also to throw one more piece on the pile, it appears that at least one research group has found evidence of diamond formation within meteorites and interstellar dust most likely from asteroid collisions. Here is the abstract.
Joey Jo Jo Jr
Explorer

Unread post by Joey Jo Jo Jr »

Jesterzzn wrote:Just a thought but if our solar systems astroid belt contains millions of asteroids that are composed of almost 100% carbon, what do you think the odds that those asteroids were being mined during the golden age? I have my chips on that they were. It is estimated that one of those asteroids could contain more gem stones than the entire continent of Africa. And there are millions of them. This doesn't even take into account interdimensional trade.

Good call, the resources available there would have been easily accessable with the level of technology around during the Golden Age. They were able to build self sufficent orbital habitats, and it would be far easier and cheaper to grab asteroids as building materials than to send it up from the planet. Gems and valuable metals would have been an added bonus
You're all just a bunch of whinging children.
RainOfSteel
Champion

Findar wrote:I agree with Kittenstomp. Either a TW player is going to do a lot of traveling or the character needs to spend time in a major magical community that has interdimensional trade. Tolkeen, Lazlo, New Lazlo & Kingsdale all jump to mind. Oh and the Federation of Magic or Atlantis if you are so inclined.

The rules require only that you accumulate multiple 1 carat gems. 1 carat gems of high quality are far more common than even 5 or 10 carat stones.

Also, as MercTown has shown us, there are globe-trotting merchants who can acquire anything and who can travel across the globe multiple times per year in effective safety.

A TW won't be travelling to acquire gems, he'll be hitting up the local gem merchant, and possibly an entire gem guild.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

RainOfSteel wrote:
Kittenstomp wrote:Ivory can only be found well...traditionally only in africa...

What about India?

there too
also in the tundra of russia (fossil mamoth tusks)
and anywehre that walruss live (their tusks are ivory too)
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Jesterzzn
Champion

Thinyser wrote:
RainOfSteel wrote:

What about India?

there too
I didn't think you could get ivory from fossils.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Jesterzzn wrote:
Thinyser wrote:
RainOfSteel wrote:

What about India?

there too
I didn't think you could get ivory from fossils.

well they dig them out of the permafrost all the time now...its one of the largest sources of legal ivory nowadays
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:THIS IS RIFTS! TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF! :D

Sound (if sad) advice...
Toc Rat: The Col. wants us to install what in his tank?!
Col.'s Driver: A cigarette lighter so he can plug in his cellphone charger.
Toc Rat: :frust:

RainOfSteel wrote:
An excellent insight that hits the nail on the head with a rune-hammer.

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

Kittenstomp wrote:

It said so in the old rules too.

To counter that in my games it is possible to use man made gems. However they must be formed on a ley-line or ley-line nexus. The "science" behind that rule is that the only difference between man made gems and ones that came from the Earth's soil is that the natural gems had time to absorb the ambient PPE energy surronding them during their formation. Thus is you were to create gems on or near such a source of PPE, the resulting gem will havethe same intrinsic properties as a natural gem for purposes of TW item creation.
Toc Rat: The Col. wants us to install what in his tank?!
Col.'s Driver: A cigarette lighter so he can plug in his cellphone charger.
Toc Rat: :frust:

RainOfSteel wrote:
An excellent insight that hits the nail on the head with a rune-hammer.

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

akira0238 wrote:
Kittenstomp wrote:
Dr. Doom v.3.2.5 wrote:What about old pre-Rifts jewelry?

I can't find diamonds in the ground around here but I bet you I can find hundreds at the mall.

The malls that are still standing and haven't been looted yet? I'm sure they're all over the place.

if they've been looted, those gems are in circulation in that area, or at least on the same continent for the most part.

The addition of ALIEN gems is something I'd start picking my GMs brain with if I played a TW.. heck, I'm the GM right now and I may just start working on that now :D

(pick.. pick.. ow) :crane: oh no.. not them again.
If you find a Green Ring on the hand of a dead Alien with a Lantern sitting beside it, I'll pay you Top Dollar for it (as in, One Dollar, Tops)!!!!

:D
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
shiivster01

Unread post by shiivster01 »

in regards to 'man made' gems - personally i have a problem with anyone saying "i create 10K worth of diamonds. so i have my *insert item/weapon here*"

.. uhh, part of creating something, means that you DON'T have the ability to do that just now, BUT after its made the hard way, then maybe you might be able to mass-produce a much inferior copy by using man made gems for a 1/10 of the damage and duration than the prototype [okay .. maybe the ratio for the damage/duration is off, but you get the idea]

natural is better, due to the fact it has NEVER been tampered with .. where as man-made ones have been handled, tampered and overall twisted and warped into being something they never were meant to be. end result being, a much inferior quality gemstone.

now a TW may or may not have the 'gemology' or the geography skill to find out where the gems are naturally located, but should a bunch of gems fall into [lets say a bunch of mud a couple of years ago] .. the gems wont be all pretty and shiney. they're gonna be grungy and possibly passed over by most adventurers.

been in plenty of games where no one has ever checked the ground for possible treasures. but then again, most people never go out looking for the gems in the first place

*shrugs* but thats my take on it, up to you how you deal with it, if at all.

Return to “Rifts®”