CS Medic Badge ~ What the heck?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Do you see what I see?

Jeepers creepers! I see Jesus!
16%
It's kind of like that grilled cheese sandwitch that sold on e-Bay.
11%
It's a Saint of some kind. (which one?)
21%
Other (please elaborate)
53%

Total votes: 19

Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

CS Medic Badge ~ What the heck?

Unread post by Dead Boy »

For those of you who have the new Rifts: Ultimate Edition, take a look at the top of page 237. Is it just me and my delusional mind or is that an angelic Jesus figure there :?: Not that I mind, but still...

(And please, DO NOT turn this into a Christian bashing thread for all our sakes)
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Just looks like an angel to me.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Given how small and indistinct the image is, it's open to interpretation, but I see it as an angel of mercy.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

I haven't seen it, but I vote grilled cheese, because everyone loves grilled cheese (just like everyone loves medics), and grilled cheese is completely necessary for survival (just like medics), so yes. Grilled cheese.

Wait... is there ketchup for this grilled cheese Jesus badge?
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
RainOfSteel
Champion

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

I view it as an indistinct angelic being.
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Qev wrote:I haven't seen it, but I vote grilled cheese, because everyone loves grilled cheese (just like everyone loves medics), and grilled cheese is completely necessary for survival (just like medics), so yes. Grilled cheese.

Wait... is there ketchup for this grilled cheese Jesus badge?

:lol:

It's not in color so it's hard to tell, but there may indeed be ketchup...
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
60 DaDa points.
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

If it is an angel that would be very odd for the CS to say the least. They have made it quite clear they consider all relgions to be the work of Pre-Rifts magic using cultists. The Coalition's citizens are supposed to be good little atheists that don't worship gods and/or demons.
Toc Rat: The Col. wants us to install what in his tank?!
Col.'s Driver: A cigarette lighter so he can plug in his cellphone charger.
Toc Rat: :frust:

RainOfSteel wrote:
An excellent insight that hits the nail on the head with a rune-hammer.

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Toc Rat wrote:If it is an angel that would be very odd for the CS to say the least. They have made it quite clear they consider all relgions to be the work of Pre-Rifts magic using cultists. The Coalition's citizens are supposed to be good little atheists that don't worship gods and/or demons.

See there you go again, assuming that the artists and writers actually think about what has been written before when they're creating new material. Trust me, looking for consistency in rifts only leads to heartbreak. :P
60 DaDa points.
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

Kalinda wrote:
Toc Rat wrote:If it is an angel that would be very odd for the CS to say the least. They have made it quite clear they consider all relgions to be the work of Pre-Rifts magic using cultists. The Coalition's citizens are supposed to be good little atheists that don't worship gods and/or demons.

See there you go again, assuming that the artists and writers actually think about what has been written before when they're creating new material. Trust me, looking for consistency in rifts only leads to heartbreak. :P

Hehe. spoken like a long time fan of Rifts! :ok:

It just wouldnt be the same without all the illogical plot lines and continuity flaw now would it? :lol:

RainOfSteel wrote:

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

AdeptPaladin wrote:

Somehow, I doubt that's true. Afterall, there is most definitely two kinds of worshiping sanctioned in the Coalition; worship of the Emperor Prosek himself and glorification of the military.

Both of which are encouraged by the propaganda machine. And I don't think Prosek would be against the worshipping of the Christian 'God', given that all the other gods have manifested, the one that hasn't is logically non-existant.

Doubt all you want, not interested in an argument on this one. What I said isn't an opinion, it's cannon, verifiable by book(s) and page numbers.

Oh almost forgot, I don't think their are any "Churchs of Prosek" mentioned anywhere in any book. Nor do I recall reading anything on a "Temple of General so and so". :lol:

RainOfSteel wrote:

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Perhaps it's just a caduceus? :)

A long standing symbol of the medical profession.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

akira0238 wrote:funny how the angelic figure (battle angel, anyone?) causes a mild teacup tempest, but the cross insignia used for medics which derives from Christian symbology doesn't.

The angelic figure is of course a more obvious religious symbol as the "red cross" has been reduced to a scarlet plus sign.

personally I would think the CS would be very much against Christianity or any other religion that could place its adherents' loyalty somewhere other than the State. (Rome wasn't too thrilled with the early Christians as I recall)

Hmm, a point I forgot. Good Ole Carl wouldn't want any possible source of authority that could challenge his. A pope, priest or other such person would be just such a threat to his power. Not to mention that if his citizens start listening to the bible instead of to him he might have a revolt on his hands.

RainOfSteel wrote:

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Toc Rat wrote:
akira0238 wrote:funny how the angelic figure (battle angel, anyone?) causes a mild teacup tempest, but the cross insignia used for medics which derives from Christian symbology doesn't.

The angelic figure is of course a more obvious religious symbol as the "red cross" has been reduced to a scarlet plus sign.

personally I would think the CS would be very much against Christianity or any other religion that could place its adherents' loyalty somewhere other than the State. (Rome wasn't too thrilled with the early Christians as I recall)

Hmm, a point I forgot. Good Ole Carl wouldn't want any possible source of authority that could challenge his. A pope, priest or other such person would be just such a threat to his power. Not to mention that if his citizens start listening to the bible instead of to him he might have a revolt on his hands.
for all you know the CS could print thier version of the bible
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

AdeptPaladin wrote:

Somehow, I doubt that's true. Afterall, there is most definitely two kinds of worshiping sanctioned in the Coalition; worship of the Emperor Prosek himself and glorification of the military.

Both of which are encouraged by the propaganda machine. And I don't think Prosek would be against the worshipping of the Christian 'God', given that all the other gods have manifested, the one that hasn't is logically non-existant.
Yeah lets warship an all powerfull D-bee hey I'm in for it. Then there are all his mutant servants... see so he's just the emperor... except the D-bee part. :nh:
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Mech-Viper wrote:
Toc Rat wrote:

for all you know the CS could print thier version of the bible
Yeah and the CS being Atheists would print a blank book for their illiterate masses, with a lock with no key. Everyone just thumps it and says "It is so ordaned by The Prosek in the book of Origins."
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Jack Daniels
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jack Daniels »

Toc Rat wrote:It just wouldnt be the same without all the illogical plot lines and continuity flaw now would it? :lol:

No, it wouldn't be the same. But it sure would be nice.
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

I see an angel. Jesus doesn't have wings... This brings up many questions however.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Oh, brilliant! One could undermine the whole Coalition by starting up the Church of Prosek! Since people would be worshipping Emperor Prosek, that immediately makes him a supernatural entity (as he's being worshipped, and nobody worships mortals, come on...), and so his own forces would be obligated to kill him. :D

Edit: Typo! :oops:
Last edited by Qev on Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

It's an angel after a Bender at the local Hooters...nothing else special.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Toc Rat wrote:
AdeptPaladin wrote:
Toc Rat wrote:The Coalition's citizens are supposed to be good little atheists that don't worship gods and/or demons.

Somehow, I doubt that's true.

Doubt all you want, not interested in an argument on this one. What I said isn't an opinion, it's cannon, verifiable by book(s) and page numbers.

Other than that entry on the old Gods & Dragons, I can't think of any definitive things that state one way or the other on CS religious tolerances. However I can think of many entries in the SoT series where letters home form the soliders made mention of God and prayers for blessings. The whole thing is really up in the air, and I doubt Kev will take a solid stance on it any time soon.

As to the Medic Badge, I think I like Klinda's response the best. An Angel of Mercy seems the most logical and poetic way to interpret it. :ok:
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]

Return to “Rifts®”