Transparent Aluminum....

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Re: Transparent Aluminum....

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Battle Magus wrote:Seems the good ole boys at the military have done did sumthin' right.

Just thought i'd post it up here so you can cross another technology off the 'to do' list of spacetravel.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123012131

And Scotty said, "How do we know he didn't invent the stuff?"

Bonus points that will buy you nothing if you remember the guy he gave the molecular structure to.
I don't remember to whom he gave it.....

But it was in the "Star Trek" Movie where they had to go back and save the Whales for the future.

It was also THE worst case of "Hollywood Programing" that I have ever seen.

For those of you who didn't notice, Scotty types on pretty much JUST 3 or 4 Keys on the Keyboard....and about 5 seconds later, with JUST THOSE KEYS, completely re-programs the late 80s Desktop Computer so that the Structure of the Transparent Aluminum that they use in 23rd Century Starfleet Windows, appears on the Engineer's Computer.....
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

cornholioprime wrote:I don't remember to whom he gave it.....

But it was in the "Star Trek" Movie where they had to go back and save the Whales for the future.

For those of you who didn't notice, Scotty types on pretty much JUST 3 or 4 Keys on the Keyboard....and about 5 seconds later, with JUST THOSE KEYS, completely re-programs the late 80s Desktop Computer so that the Structure of the Transparent Aluminum that they use in 23rd Century Starfleet Windows, appears on the Engineer's Computer.....

Well he is a miracle worker. :D
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
bigwhitehound

armor-glass

Unread post by bigwhitehound »

Solothurn writes: “It seems that windows must be polished to provide the required translucency though. It still needs more work.”

I write: True, but it is a first step, and EVERYTHING begins that way.

I think this stuff could be great. :) In the real world, we could use it in vehicles to replace the windows, increasing their safety, in homes it would make a criminal think twice, no more breaking in through a window. Plus in a storm, i.e. hurricanes, no need to board up the windows.
In the Rifts world the MDC version would be used for the windows-view ports in armor, vehicles, bots & buildings. The same would be true in spacecraft.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Re: armor-glass

Unread post by Thinyser »

bigwhitehound wrote:Solothurn writes: “It seems that windows must be polished to provide the required translucency though. It still needs more work.”

I write: True, but it is a first step, and EVERYTHING begins that way.

I think this stuff could be great. :) In the real world, we could use it in vehicles to replace the windows, increasing their safety, in homes it would make a criminal think twice, no more breaking in through a window. Plus in a storm, i.e. hurricanes, no need to board up the windows.
In the Rifts world the MDC version would be used for the windows-view ports in armor, vehicles, bots & buildings. The same would be true in spacecraft.

Agreed this stuff kicks ass.
Also to address the remark on polishing... it is not necessary on normal window glass because glass when very hot is a liquid and is self leveling creating a very smooth surface naturally. Ceramics take MUCH higher heat to become molten and this excessive heat would probably ruin the chemical composition that allows it to be transparent... admittedly this is just a guess as I know nothing of transparent ceramics (this is a very new area of study) and was not discussed in my university ceramics course. :-D
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Lord_Coake wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:
Battle Magus wrote:Seems the good ole boys at the military have done did sumthin' right.

Just thought i'd post it up here so you can cross another technology off the 'to do' list of spacetravel.

Bonus points that will buy you nothing if you remember the guy he gave the molecular structure to.
I don't remember to whom he gave it.....

Kinda like how the aliens in ID4 used Macintosh-compatible computers for their datalink.

Now, now... in defense of ID4 the aliens did make their computers compatable with Earth-tech so they could use our satellites against us for cooridinating the attack.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

C.R.A.F.T. wrote:Shouldn't this thread be in "Sound Off"?

:? Other than "Armor" and high tech, I fail to see the connection to Rifts. :?

Here's the kicker:

It already is. Someone put a thread up about it a day or two ago.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

It's from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

Scotty gave the formula to transparent aluminum to Dr. Nichols of PlastiCorp.

:lol:
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

maybe that is what chi-town is made of
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Of course, the danger with transparent armor is that unless you have some radiation-reactive inner layering, or make it selectively transparent, some fool with a visible light laser can cook you through it, or at least blind you....
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

taalismn wrote:Of course, the danger with transparent armor is that unless you have some radiation-reactive inner layering, or make it selectively transparent, some fool with a visible light laser can cook you through it, or at least blind you....

Layer a phase-conjugate mirror overtop of the window. Problem solved. :lol:

I like the acronymized name of the ceramic, btw. The trademark is built right in! :D
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

taalismn wrote:Of course, the danger with transparent armor is that unless you have some radiation-reactive inner layering, or make it selectively transparent, some fool with a visible light laser can cook you through it, or at least blind you....
why would transparent armor make you more vulnerable to that? any metal (as opposed to plastic or ceramic) makes you vulnerable to heat, but a nice under layer would solve all the problems, including the ridiculous underwear one...
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard

Return to “Rifts®”