Techno-Wizard lasers?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Slag
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Slag »

Sounds fair to me...

BTW: Lasers are "Coherent light" because the light photons are in "bundles" all travelling in the same linear direction rather than "incoherent" light, which radiates and diffracts outwards in all directions.
Fickt nicht mit der Raketemensch!

"I respect you. And unlike love, respect can't be bought" - Homer Simpson.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

TW converted laser weapons are described in the original Rifts book.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Killer Cyborg wrote:TW converted laser weapons are described in the original Rifts book.

Were they included in RUE?
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Sureshot wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:TW converted laser weapons are described in the original Rifts book.

Nope.
None of the technology conversions were in RUE.
Either Techno-Wizards lost that ability, or it was acidentally omitted.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Sureshot wrote:

Nope.
None of the technology conversions were in RUE.

They give example of TWLasers in Rifts Book of Magic.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
Qev
Hero

Re: Techno-Wizard lasers?

Unread post by Qev »

Laser Concepts at Hyperphysics... I love Hyperphysics. :)
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Slag wrote:Sounds fair to me...

BTW: Lasers are "Coherent light" because the light photons are in "bundles" all travelling in the same linear direction rather than "incoherent" light, which radiates and diffracts outwards in all directions.

Actually......*puts on professor hat*
*takes a deep breath* Coherent light is made up of photons that are in the same energy state (wavelength or color) and are traveling together in the same wave form. Thus the individual photons reinforce each other, and stay together in the wave form till outside forces interfere in the photons' path. *isn't absolutely shure but will say it anyways* Lasers are never a naturally occurring phanamina.

Incoherent light is a mixture of all or most of the visible spectrum with the different energy state, or wavelegth, of each photon is randomly generated . Thus when focused in a beam the photons react with each other to cancle out each others energy states. Then most common form of incoherent light is derived from an incandescent source, such as a filament lightbulb, or the sun.

Each, incoherent and coherent describe the energy states and wave forms act , the directionality of the forms are incidental to this definition.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

macksting wrote:

They give example of TWLasers in Rifts Book of Magic.

Fascinating! Now, like most TW conversions, do they strip out all the internals and replace them with comparitively useless Fire Bolt, Energy Bolt, or Telekinesis spells? Or do these have the advantages and non-elemental properties of a proper laser? I might want to drop half this line of research if there are decent TW lasers provided elsewhere.

They're normal lasers that are powered by PPE. Basically, they take the E-clip out, slap in a gem or crystal, make a few other changes (the books don't get into what), and end up with a laser weapon that is charged by PPE.
The original Rifts book included rules for doing the same thing with small battery powered devices (like a walkman or a flashlight), and larger things like combustion engines and steam engines.

Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

macksting wrote:Apparently, due to naturally occuring lasing plasmas and naturally-occuring optical cavities around high-energy stars and events, there have been observed a few examples of natural lasers. Some are long-term structures. :)
I'm told one is emitted via a particular black hole.

Eta Carinae (with the help of its surrounding nebula) is apparently a naturally-occurring ultraviolet laser. Remind me not to swing past there in my starship, if I'm ever near that neighborhood. :lol:
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Killer Cyborg wrote:None of the technology conversions were in RUE.

I hope they fix that in the second printing among other things.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.

Return to “Rifts®”