Writing in your books

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Richter
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Richter »

I make small update notes in my books yes.

Houserules, errata if its an old print, stuff like that.

Im gonna be terrified when the errata for RUE comes out, that book is gonna look like I wrote it myself with all the pen scribbles heh
Doing things the right way, the Coalition Way, since 1998...

-Richter
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Books are Involate!

especially those that later sell them. few things irritate me more than looking though a Used Book Store and see some guy wrote all his houserules in Pen in the book.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Writing in your books

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Sgtball wrote:Do you write notes in your books? House rules, typo corrections, additional notes, ext... I'm still debating writing some GM notes, but the urge to keep the books "perfect" as possible is hard. Thanks

Never.
I leave the books intact as possible.
I have considered highlighting certain obscure passages, but I have so far refrained.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

the only writing I do in my books is including errata. for anything else, I use separate sheets
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Richter
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Richter »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Books are Involate!

especially those that later sell them. few things irritate me more than looking though a Used Book Store and see some guy wrote all his houserules in Pen in the book.

I agree completely with you, I never sell my books tho, im a gaming packrat!

Also, I should have mentioned, most books I've written in, I own 2 copies off (found a cheap used one, said oooo an errata book) and then scribbled all over that one. Despite how my post sounds, most of my books are very clean and well maintained.

Sonuva...ima have to buy a new RUE after the errata changes I think :lol:
Doing things the right way, the Coalition Way, since 1998...

-Richter
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

I only wrote in one book. That being my RUE (I penciled in the PP bonuses for Juicers). I would never consider using pen or writing hard with a pencil. This way I can at least erase it.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Unread post by Preacher »

Sgtball wrote:Do you write notes in your books? House rules, typo corrections, additional notes, ext... I'm still debating writing some GM notes, but the urge to keep the books "perfect" as possible is hard. Thanks

Nope, I keep a seperate notebook for all that.
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Books are Involate!

I agree. If you must write down your house rules use paper or write them on your computer. I will usually still purchase a used book if the writing in it is minimal. What really ticks me off is those who highlight passages in their books with Fluorescent Highliter. Try reading a book that has 3/4 of the information in bright yellow.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Post-It(tm) notes, fools! :lol:
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

The only time that a pen or pencil ever touches one of my books is when I accidentally drop it.

~ Josh
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

well... pally books are the only ones of my RPG stuff ever to receive the infamous mark of the pen... but when data is lacking or false, it has to be corrected, straight at the source...

Weirdly enough, I used to find my dad's margin notes on his books interesting, but I never make any myself.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

I mark up a book as soon as it turns yellow.. that's an awful lot of books..
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

gee i normally use them Compositions books, as for writing in the books is normally just to fix typos , because it will be a cold day in hell before i get rid of my books(well my rifts books anyways)
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

I correct minor typos like the missing juicer PP bonus in pencil, stick post-it notes in to mark important pages, and have larger pieces of paper stuck in here and there with house rules and such.

I would never sell a gaming book. so leaving them in pristine condition isn't a concern, being able to find things in them is.

My wife runs Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, and she has a copy of the MRB that she removed the spine of and had spiral bound so she could add all of her house rules and notes, along with extra blank pages for more notes. The book is about 30% thicker then it was when she started.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Joey Jo Jo Jr
Explorer

Unread post by Joey Jo Jo Jr »

Yeah, I like to keep mine pristine.
You're all just a bunch of whinging children.
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

I've written in perhaps two of my books, and NEVER with pen. The only Rifts book I have written heavily in is my personal GM's guide (the full expanded skill list is a nice thing to have). Even the corrections and alterations I wrote in that book were in pencil, just in case I should ever need to change my corrections. By the time I started writing in it, it was already dog-eared and the page ends opposite the spine were already yellowed from people flipping through the book. Thus, I had no problem "defacing" what was already essentially monetarily worthless. The fact that I have a back-up copy helps as well. The only other book I have written anything in is my Phase World book. This is because I felt that several things in that book needed my editing if they were to be usable in my games. However, these are also lightly penciled in. Other than that, my other books are pristine (discounting previously owned material that has been slightly highlighted and a few inside covers with penned or labeled names :x ). Oh, I have a few signed books as well, does that mean the PB staff should be flogged Lynx? :P
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

I put few Wacky Pack stickers on the cover. as for notes inside. I do since it's my book and I use it.

If I wanted it for collecting I'd get shrink wrapped.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Lynx8882 wrote:a guy in my gaming group kept asking me if it was ok if he could jot down some notes in one of my PF books once and highlight a passage in another my response included big bugged out eyes and threat to his manhood becomming the property of his grabage can unless his doctor could save it.......does that answear the question?

those who write in books should be flogged

Lynx

Now Lynx, I have to ask sticks on covers a flogging offense?
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

If you have to remove and repost Post Its alot they eventually stop sticking?

If I write in my book I write in pencil because I might want to fix my fix or otherwise change my mind.

I do not press hard when I write by nature so I can clean up a book if I were to sell it no problem.

Big changes get a page inserted in the book or a note in my notebook.
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

NO!...actually #$@%!!! NO.

I tend to treat my books with as much care as I give to live grenades. Except for throwing part... :shock: :lol:
Toc Rat: The Col. wants us to install what in his tank?!
Col.'s Driver: A cigarette lighter so he can plug in his cellphone charger.
Toc Rat: :frust:

RainOfSteel wrote:
An excellent insight that hits the nail on the head with a rune-hammer.

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Sgtball wrote:Post-It notes sounds like an idea I can deal with. I have never been able to bring myself to write in them, so this is a happy medium. Thanks for the input all.

Yep that is what i do if i want to mark/change something....writing in books is a NO NO!
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

www.staples.com if you want to get some post its!..
Display-Name-Alpha
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Display-Name-Alpha »

I just remember everything. cause I am good like that.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

I have written in every gaming book I own.

I place my name on the inside front cover, or if that's a dark colour, the front page of the book, in pencil. Having several people in the group having the same books, this makes sence.

Other than that, from memory, two of my books have been written in, in pencil. One is my copy of WHFRPG, I wrote the erata in the margins. And my Rifts book bears some pencil marks, mainly in the skills section, particulary near the Language skill, I did once start writting in additional languages as I found them. Didn't take me long to stop trying.

lol
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Unread post by JTwig »

I once colored all of the pictures in my original TMNT books with colored pencils, but that was the only time I've ever written in one of my books. I usually use tiny post-it notes with rule change right next to the paragraph I wish to amend.
Spectre
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Spectre »

Gaming books are for just that gaming. They will get used, worn out and torn. Thus, i mark all over my books. It also doesn't help that im becoming a teacher and they teach us to mark up every book that we use.
BTW, I normally do it in pencil just in case i do need to erase it.

EDIT: I lose notes too easily. I have to have something im not going to misplace with any ease.
Last edited by Spectre on Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A little Rebellion now and then is a good thing." Thomas Jefferson
(To the tune of Ride of the Valkyries): Death and Destruction, Chaos and Carnage, Total Annailation Now!
300 Movie Geek Points
"I immediately regret this decision."- Jack Hare
Larsen
Adventurer

Unread post by Larsen »

i did that in my rifts main book and now it looks like my notebook so i won't be doing that again.
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -Thomas Jefferson
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Necronomicus wrote:clearly insane
You DO NOT WRITE IN BOOKS.
especially when all you have to do is print out the updates/notes and keep a few pages in that book.

writing in books is like buying artwork to hang on the wall and signing your own name to it.

I have a few nice journals I am afraid to ruin by writing in them.

Not my Rifts book. I started writing a few notes here and there. Then again, I got it off ebay - the shipping cost more than the book!

It is always in pencil as I said in case I change my mind about what I have written.
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Not no, but HELL no.

That's what notebooks are for.

Anyone caught scribbling in one of my books will face my wrath. :x
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

It's simple. House Rules and GM Notes get printed out on a seperate sheet of paper and is included in the book (usually folded in half and used as a book mark). Corrections and Errata changes are written on the applicable page of the book if desired. And of course hi-liter ink may be applied liberally as needed to make things easier to find and reference.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Sleight-of-Server Cheese wrote:I just remember everything. cause I am good like that.
I don't know if you're joking, but I really do remember MOST of everything that I've ever read in the Rifts Books; I think that Kevin's storytelling ability is just that good, and I tend to have a near encyclopaedic memory of what I read if it's entertaining enough.

On a side note, I like reading and re-reading those Books so often (as well as re-referencing said Books so that I can get the Quote exactly right when need be in addition to looking at the Illustrations) that the Issue of writing in the Books is somewhat of a moot point when my Books are starting to show wear and tear from near constant use.

P.S. For some strange reason, I have NEVER found the D & D Game Manuals, nor the newer D20 Books, as nearly as entertaining as Rifts to read (although it was always a blast to play and the D&D Novels were mostly awesome, especially the Dragonlance and Faerun-centered Books).............
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Necronomicus wrote:clearly insane
You DO NOT WRITE IN BOOKS.
especially when all you have to do is print out the updates/notes and keep a few pages in that book.

writing in books is like buying artwork to hang on the wall and signing your own name to it.

:ok:
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

cornholioprime wrote:P.S. For some strange reason, I have NEVER found the D & D Game Manuals, nor the newer D20 Books, as nearly as entertaining as Rifts to read (although it was always a blast to play and the D&D Novels were mostly awesome, especially the Dragonlance and Faerun-centered Books).............

I prefer the D20 over the Palladium in content though I will agree that Palladium books are much more enjoyable to read. As for the novels I much preferered the older stuff. Some of the newer stuff is just not up to par imo to the older stuff.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.

Return to “Rifts®”