Size of "Create Force Field"

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Qev
Hero

Size of "Create Force Field"

Unread post by Qev »

Just curious for a bit of clarification here. :)

Under 'Create Force Field', it states that the maximum size is 'approximately a 40 square foot area plus 10 ft per level'. Do they seriously mean 40 square feet, or do they mean 40' x 40' (ie. 1600 square feet)?

A 40 square foot force field isn't even enough to create a six foot diameter bubble. :help:
Last edited by Qev on Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Huh, not much of a "major" super power, in my opinion. Their metric conversion is off, too. That's 4.4 square meters, not 12.2 square meters. As it stands, then, at first level the user can make a force field bubble a whopping 3.5 feet in diameter. He'd need to be 8th level before he could even self-enclose while standing up. :lol:
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Personally - I always made the force fields 40ft in diameter (or 40x40ft if you prefer). That way you can actually protect an area. I think that's what it is actually SUPPOSED to be (it's be pretty lame otherwise).
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

This very question is the entire reason I created an account on these boards some time ago. The consensus was that the Force Field created could be made to cover a 40 ft diameter. This was in part based on similar abilities, such as Telekenetic Force Field and the Energy Field spell, which state that they cover an area that is a specific diameter. TKFF, I believe, said the area it covered was a 10ft diameter per level.

To me, this made Create Force Field a poorly worded power since it says almost the same thing, but leaves out diameter. This actually puts it at a disadvantage size wise compared to the other abilities listed. Assuming that the CFF 40 square feet are only the surface area of what's created, then at first level you'd only be able to cover an area measuring 3.5 feet in diameter, and the dome itself would only be 3.5 feet tall. Also, interpreting it as surface area means that the max diameter covered as you level up does not increase linearily, but instead the increase you receive every level is less than the one you received the prevous level.

Allowing it to cover a 40 swuare foot area makes the power fit much better as a Major Super Power. It scales linerally this way in the same way that the Telekenetic Force Field does. As far as I'm concerned, Palladium just forgot to mention "diameter" in the description.

To further support this claim, the Create Force Objects super power allows you to create very large objects that would be waay more than 40 square feet of surface area, but would neatly fit within a 40 foot diameter.

This question was archived a while ago in the Games F.A.Q. Archive forum, under Psionics FAQ. A 40 foot diameter, increasing by 10 feel per level, was the accepted answer.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

I figured it would be a typo like that, yeah. A 40' diameter makes a lot more sense... I mean, what good is an 1800 SDC invisible, immobile beach ball, anyway? :lol:

Thanks, Glistam, everyone. :)

Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

gadrin wrote:HU Revised says the same thing: 40 square feet + 10 feet per level.

Ah, Palladium editing. We could not live without thee. :D

Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Here's another question about Force Field. Does anyone use force field
in ways that it doesn't say you can? Like make a column under ones feet
(instant elevator) or a staircase. It appears you can only make geometric
shapes (cubes, pyramids, ovals, etc). Another thing I'm curious about,
do you believe the force fields are effected by gravity. Its energy but
does that mean it has mass? If not then is it possible to make a floating
platform. Not that you could make it move up or down but just hover?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

What I allow is for the Creator to create platforms that were suspended in air. They could hold an amount of weight equal to one pound per SDC. They could not create a staircase instantly, but they could create a series of platforms by making them one platform at a time. The create force objects power though would allow you to make staircases in one shot.

I limited the CFF power to only the basic shapes as listed in the book. I did allow cylanders though, allowing the user to create staff and club-style melee weapons.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”