How Do Phase Weapons Work?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Qev wrote:On a tangentally-related note, why hasn't phase tech been reverse-engineered all over the Three Galaxies?

It's called, uhhh.... Telemechanics? Hellooooo, Palladium... :lol:

because ONLY the promethian can actually even interact with some of the components.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

yes, phase technology requires you to be multidimensional to access all parts of it, hence why Prometheans are the only ones capable of interacting with it, I'd assume of course , all 4 d Beings could to.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Gomen_Nagai wrote:yes, phase technology requires you to be multidimensional to access all parts of it, hence why Prometheans are the only ones capable of interacting with it, I'd assume of course , all 4 d Beings could to.

I dunno. for all the parallels even the 2nd stage promethians arn't True 4d beings.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Phase Mystics have access to Phase powers... just like Prometheans. :)

Not to mention magic can effect Phase abilities, as well.
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Qev wrote:Phase Mystics have access to Phase powers... just like Prometheans. :)

it's not phase abilites. it's their phase BODIES, pure and simple.

Display-Name-Alpha
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Display-Name-Alpha »

since it isnt clarified... ive always assumed that Phase weaponry is just another energy frequency that passes through solid matter. And it actually passes through the being as well. Like a Phase Sword... wouldnt cut someone. But the energy passing through the creature is what causes the injury.
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Qev wrote:Phase Mystics have access to Phase powers... just like Prometheans. :)

Sooo... phase beamers are made out of Promethians?

Soylent Phase Beamer? :lol:

You can probably tell I'm not buying it. I think the argument you're looking for is "writer's fiat". ;)
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Qev wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Of course. that way your gun doubles as emergency rations.

Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Qev wrote:Soylent Phase Beamer? :lol:

I am so using this if I ever run a Phase World campaign. That begs the question, though... can one digest phased food? :lol:

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: How Do Phase Weapons Work?

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Arcanus wrote:Who cares how they work? Phase world stuff is munchkin and shouldn't be used with Rifts.
Uh... it is Rifts and it's no less munchkin than Atlantis or South America 2.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Qev wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

You can probably tell I'm not buying it. I think the argument you're looking for is "writer's fiat". ;)
No Qev... on the off chance your not being facetious Nekira was talking about how they manipulate the components. There able to do so because there bodys are out of phase (4th dimension?) as are SOME (probably the most important) of the components in the weapon. However that keeps people from modifying the weapon. I however allow armorers to remove the weapons shell and mount it in a different one.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Phase weapons state that they shift a portion of the being that they hit from this dimension placing it out of phase for a moment. This causes shock to the body. If the beam was able to be sustained all that would be required is a hit to the neck which would shut the persons body down.
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Zer0 Kay wrote:No Qev... on the off chance your not being facetious Nekira was talking about how they manipulate the components. There able to do so because there bodys are out of phase (4th dimension?) as are SOME (probably the most important) of the components in the weapon. However that keeps people from modifying the weapon. I however allow armorers to remove the weapons shell and mount it in a different one.

Yes, I do tend to be silly sometimes. :)

But, various Phase powers allow Phase Adepts to move out-of-phase, as well. I still see nothing blocking a psionic Phase Adept from reverse-engineering this stuff.

Of course, I also find it stupendously unlikely that the Naruni don't have the secret to Rune magic... but that's for another thread, I guess. :lol:

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Qev wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:No Qev... on the off chance your not being facetious Nekira was talking about how they manipulate the components. There able to do so because there bodys are out of phase (4th dimension?) as are SOME (probably the most important) of the components in the weapon. However that keeps people from modifying the weapon. I however allow armorers to remove the weapons shell and mount it in a different one.

Yes, I do tend to be silly sometimes. :)

But, various Phase powers allow Phase Adepts to move out-of-phase, as well. I still see nothing blocking a psionic Phase Adept from reverse-engineering this stuff.

Of course, I also find it stupendously unlikely that the Naruni don't have the secret to Rune magic... but that's for another thread, I guess. :lol:
I doubt that a Promethian would teach a Naruni or a follower of. Besides how long does that ability last? Last I checked you need to know magic in order to perform rune magic and the Naruni would have less control over a mage employee than they would a regular human not to mention that they'd be less willing to terminate them.
Display-Name-Alpha
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Display-Name-Alpha »

Arcanus wrote:Who cares how they work? Phase world stuff is munchkin and shouldn't be used with Rifts.

*smacks self on forehead*

So dont make it common in your games... keep your preaching elseware :)

if the topic were "is Phase weaponry munchkin" then your post would be valid.
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

Yea, I mean its not like every book post Atlantis hasn't uped the powerlevel even further, right? C'mon, compared to China and Australia Phase World isn't all that munchkin anymore.
:fool:
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

It seems like Palladium kinda copped out on this one. They kinda leave it as a "well you pull the trigger and it kills $#!+"...they are too vague IMO.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Qev wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

I am so using this if I ever run a Phase World campaign. That begs the question, though... can one digest phased food? :lol:

Prometians can. and thus is the secret plan for reving the First from the bodies of their closest relatives and genetic engineering is unfolding under the guise of useful weaponry!!!!

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Qev wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Prometians can. and thus is the secret plan for reving the First from the bodies of their closest relatives and genetic engineering is unfolding under the guise of useful weaponry!!!!
You know in a strange way that reminds me of a theory I've had. If, essentially, all functions of our body are controlled by bioelectrical current and no energy can be created or destroyed then maybe that bioelectrical current is our soul... Now once we die that energy isn't destroyed it can however be converted into some other form of energy. So what if all the power our technological civilization uses is the sould of our ancestors... hmm, never mind just the ramblings of a nut case :D

Return to “Rifts®”