Favorite Pistol/Rifle/Small Arms

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

The retactible staff for one of my my Psi-techs. has the wilk's laser torch Scapel and wand plus a Wilk's 320 built in.

for those times melee is needed a staff with Neural disruption can be used.

the weapon it was inspired from should be clear... :D
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Rimmerdal wrote:the weapon it was inspired from should be clear... :D

'fraid not :?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Rimmerdal
Knight

I thought the retractable Neural-Stun staff would have given it away... :D
taalismn wrote:

Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Triax pump pistol. Good damage, even against mages.

Wilks 237 'backup' pistol. Good damage and accuracy.

Wilks 325 'mariner' Almost as much firepower as the 'backup' with much better range and the same accuracy.

Wilks 300 'Hideaway' Very concealable with good damage.

CFT 'auto-shooter' pistol. Can use either MD rounds or normal 45 ammo, allowing me to carry silver rounds and still be able to switch to MD quickly.

NG-11s 'sawed-off' Same reason as the CFT.

NG-IP7 Ion pulse rifle. Compact and easy to carry, bot with respectable damage.

NE-300 'stutterer' Just good close range firepower.

CP-50 'dragonfire' Good range and damage, plus a grenade launcher.

JA-12 laser rifle Duh...

WI-GL8 Autoshotgun/grenade launcher. Ability to use either grenades or large bore shotgun rounds, great for hunting vamps with silver 10 gauge buckshot.

WI-SR15 15mm sniper rifle. range, price, and the ability to use either normal ammo or ramjet rounds. ramjets do respectable MD too.
Last edited by Kalinda on Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Still the NG-57 for me. And since it's a heavy pistol, when you run out of e-clips, you can just throw the thing at them and still do decent damage. :D
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Wilks Hero Pistols - Good Damage & Payload, Look Damn Cool
Triax Pump Pistol - Good Damage & Physical Damage VS Pesky Mages
Big Bore Revolver - Knockdown, Physical Damage VS Pesky Mages, Look Damn Cool
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

K4 Pulse Laser Rifle
Wilks 457 Pulse Laser Rifle
NG-7P Partical Beam Rifle
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I prefer multi-purpose weapons, unless I'm a aprt of a large group and can afford to be specialized.

Particular favourites include:

JA-11
JA-12
I-11 Long Gun (for my sniper types)
Shotguns (Best multi-purpose weapon in the game, if you need to hunt, it works, if you need silver bullets, it works, if you need MD explosive shells, it works, if you need to fire a blast of pepper spray, ti works . . .)
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I still like the classics:

Wilk's 320
C-12 (although I play it differently from other people)
NG-P7
JA-11
L-20
NG-57
NG-Super
C-18
Wilk's 457
Wilk's Laser Torch
M-21 Ion Pistol
M-15 Plasma Rifle
M-30 Robot Variable Laser Rifle

Some of the newer guns I like:
JA-12
FIWS
WI-GL4
Wilk's 330 laser pistol
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

Mindwerks M-30 Dual Energy Rifle. Can't go past the versatility of a laser, the sheer power of the particle beam, and the fact that the sucker seems to run on perpetual motion as it is constantly self-recharging. Oh, and it is one of the coolest-looking weapons in Rifts. So what if it's a bit oversized for humans? (designed for Brodkil) I'm a Crazy.. I can carry it!

For sentimental value alone, I'll take a NG-Super laser pistol and Grenade Launcher. Sort of like having a miniature C-14 on your hip.

I'm also quite partial to the Wilks 227 pistol and Wilks 557 VFLAR rifle for looks, utility (ie: magazine capacity) and accuracy. (in my games, Wilks' after-sales-service is also second to none, but that's just icing on the cake)
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

AdeptPaladin wrote:Maybe the weapon charges in the same manner as a recent development.. the very motion of the rifle itself causes a magnet to pass through a coil of wire, inducing a current that feeds into an internal battery.

You'd need a Juicer shaking that sucker to recharge an e-clip with that technology... oh man, I can just see that. :lol:
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Pistol - Bandito IP-10 (New West)

Rifle - Wilderness L-20 Pulse Laser Rifle (Main Book)

Sm. Arm - New Navy M-160 Assualt Rifle (Underseas).

~ Josh
Rimmerdal
Knight

Lynx8882 wrote:Sick stick? from Minority Report

Lynx

An I the only one who remebers andromeda?
taalismn wrote:

Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

I like a weapon with versitillity. I also like Northern Gun stuff. So I guess the NG-LG6 is my first choice. Decent rechargable MD, with a kinetic kick for those baddies who are resistant to energy. The Coalition version is a good way to go too, assuming the weapon you have will not make you the target of a company of Dead Boys...

I also like the JA-11 because it uses an SDC bullet, dishes out laser and ion damage, and its 300 years old :P

Triax Pump weapons are pretty cool too cause they deal decent damage and they pretty much hurt everything.

Heck, a simple AK-47 with ramjet rounds is cool. Why not carry an AK with a few clips of ramjet, a clip with silver coated rounds, and a clip of regular ammo? Throw in a suit of Plastic Man and a vibro knife, drive around on a Highway Man or Wastelander motorcycle and you are acutally doing pretty well for very little money.

Of course, the best "frontieer" weapon would be any TW weapon (assuming you are psychic and/or magic in nature) because you have effectivly unlimted ammo.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

clinto1022 wrote:I always loved the versatility of the JA-11. My favorite was the C-12, although it appears they changed it slightly for the UE. I haven't seen the JA-12, but it seems to be getting alot of votes. How different is it from the JA-11?

Munchkins like it cause it deals heavy rail gun damage and its a side arm... Thats the only appeal.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

Kagashi wrote:Heck, a simple AK-47 with ramjet rounds is cool. Why not carry an AK with a few clips of ramjet, a clip with silver coated rounds, and a clip of regular ammo? Throw in a suit of Plastic Man and a vibro knife, drive around on a Highway Man or Wastelander motorcycle and you are acutally doing pretty well for very little money.

Heck, that's not a bad starting package for any adventurer. I often start my RPA players with Chipwell Assault Suits (no, not the SDC one, the 150
MDC one), as they are also pretty cheap and cheerful, but can dish out decent damage.

Its surprising to find that a player who starts with so-called 'crud' weapons and thinks 'the only way is up' will develop an attachment to said device/weapons and will continue to use them, even when other, 'superior' weapons are available. To me as a GM that's real 'role playing', as you'd obviously know the more-used weapon a lot better than a new shiny one that you might not trust so much (or you find is an energy hound, sucking life from power packs, or is heavy, or doesn't have the same effect as the old one... etc etc etc)
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

clinto1022 wrote:I always loved the versatility of the JA-11. My favorite was the C-12, although it appears they changed it slightly for the UE. I haven't seen the JA-12, but it seems to be getting alot of votes. How different is it from the JA-11?

Drop the Ion and the Slug thrower, replace with a repeating grenade launcher. Laser does 4D6 on a single shot or hase puls mode that does 1D6x10. Laser targeting keeps the single shot accuracy from the old JA-11.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

clinto1022 wrote:does anyone still have a copy of the original rifts main book? The c-12 had 3 different damage settings (6d6 sdc, 2d6MD and 4d6 MD) and the ability to fire a burst of 5 (FIVE). This allowed you to do 20d6 damage per attack. I don't know if that was changed or not. My edition was the first print, so they might have changed it. The c-12 in the UE doesn't have the 4d6 MD, and only allows for a burst of 3. at least it still looks cool.

Actually, that's not how it worked.
Don't feel bad for making that mistake; I played it that way for years.
The 4d6 MD setting WAS the 5-shot pulse setting. It did 2d6 MD per single shot, and a burst of 5 counted as a short burst (as per p.34 of Rifts) and did 2d6x2 MD, which was written as 2d4 MD.

The real nature of the gun came up here a while back and I confirmed it with Kevin Siembieda himself when I was at Gencon.

Unfortunately, the way the weapon actually worked made it one of the worst weapons in the game. Why bother with the C-12 when the L-20 was far better?
And the RUE version is exactly the same as the CP-40, which was supposed to replace the C-12 in CWC... but it doesn't make sense for the CS to replace the C-12 with an identical weapon (although the military might well do exactly that), and the flavor text isn't supported by the stats of thew weapon.

I started a thread a while back called "Fixing the C-12" and posted my personal fix for things (this was pre-RUE, but it still works):

The C-12 inflicts 2d6 MD per single shot.
It has a 5-shot pulse setting that inflicts 1d6x10 MD.
While powerful, the CS was concerned about how swiftly the soldiers were chewing through ammo, so the made the CP-40 as a replacement gun. While the burst is less powerful than the C-12, the CP-40 is more efficient with ammo (a lot of times three shots for 6d6 MD is all you need to use... any more is wasteful).
So there is a reason for the CP-40 to exist, and there is a reason for the C-12 to still be used and to be considered a favorite weapon by many of the soldiers, as it is described.

(I mentioned this to KS at Gencon and he made a note of it. I have no idea if anything will ever come of it though, especially since RUE has the new stats. Maybe the CP-40 will be upgraded instead, in a later book.)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Killer Cyborg
Priest

clinto1022 wrote:oh, thanks killer cyborg. now i know that it does actually suck, like most of the coalitions weapons in the main book, although i did like the plasma cannon, and the samas will always be one of my favorite power armors. the original samas, not all of the gay revamps they did in CWC.

No problem.

4d6 MD wasn't actually that bad back when the main book came out, but it's certainly not impressive.
The JA-11 can do that on a single shot, and as I mentioned the L-20 beats it cold. Apparently, the only differences between the C-12 and the C-10 were that the C-12 had extra ammo and gave up the full-auto option in favor of the 5-shot burst. :nh:

Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:Is it the C-30 that's the Dragonfire...the over-under that fires the micro-fusion grenades? I love that thing.

You're thinking of the CP-50 "Dragonfire", which just so happens to be my favorite small arm of the game. And not just for its awesome cosmetic stylings, but because of its super payload (with power pack) and god-like damage with a volley of four ballistic grenades. Of course that volley is only available depending on which book you read and how you interpret things, but that's the nature of the game.

Killer Cyborg wrote:Actually, that's not how it worked.
Don't feel bad for making that mistake; I played it that way for years.
The 4d6 MD setting WAS the 5-shot pulse setting. It did 2d6 MD per single shot, and a burst of 5 counted as a short burst (as per p.34 of Rifts) and did 2d6x2 MD, which was written as 2d4 MD.

The real nature of the gun came up here a while back and I confirmed it with Kevin Siembieda himself when I was at Gencon.

Ya know, I still don't fully buy that explanation. I'm wondering if Kev did a little retroactive continuity there because if the C-12's 4D6 setting was intended to be the 5-shot burst, that makes the rifle stand out in stark opposing contrast to the NG-57 Ion Blaster (having a 2D4 and a 3D6 power setting) and the JA-11 (having a 2D6 and 4D6 setting). The NG had no pre-set burst settings and th JA was alwas a single shot weapon. The C-12's change raises the question, if its higher setting was a burst, what the heck is going on with the other two? That aspect of RUE made a pre-existing question into a mess, if you ask me.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Dead Boy wrote:Ya know, I still don't fully buy that explanation. I'm wondering if Kev did a little retroactive continuity there because if the C-12's 4D6 setting was intended to be the 5-shot burst, that makes the rifle stand out in stark opposing contrast to the NG-57 Ion Blaster (having a 2D4 and a 3D6 power setting) and the JA-11 (having a 2D6 and 4D6 setting). The NG had no pre-set burst settings and th JA was alwas a single shot weapon. The C-12's change raises the question, if its higher setting was a burst, what the heck is going on with the other two? That aspect of RUE made a pre-existing question into a mess, if you ask me.

Yup.
I've looked at it a zillion different ways, and it's a mess no matter how the gun is supposed to work.
But KS has no problem admitting when he changes things from what I've seen, so he'd likely have said if the C-12 was supposed to work a different way.
But he wrote Rifts 15 years ago, so maybe his memory is a bit fuzzy.

It gives you something to ask him at a convention sometime... :)

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

I have always (and will continue to if I GM) played that the C-12 had 3 damage settings (6D6 SDC, 2D6 and 4D6 MDC) and a short burst function (5 shots fired, double damage as standard short burst rules).

Then again, I changed the burst rules for my standard game so that 5 shot burst does have the possibility of scoring upto 5 hits, though you have to roll really well to do that.

Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

My favorites? Lets see...

Bandit Big Bore Shotgun. Why? Because I shot a damn mega juicer off off a 20 story building with it.

TX-30 Triax Ion Pulse Rifle. It has better range than the LP-20, gives a +1 to strike when used two handed, and has the same damage and ammo capacity as the LP-20. And it's not like I ever use it with one hand anyway so the -2 penalty for using it one handed almost never comes into play.

WI-23 Missile Launcher. A missile launcher that is man portable is good. A missile launcher that is man portable and has a six shot box magazine is even better. I love loading CS Mini missiles into this sucker and watching the little guys run for the hills.

WI-NFT-1 Napalm P. Flame thrower. I like this weapon simply because it puts one of my favorite types of ground assault weapons in MD format. I have my PA use these as handguns and fire em wild all over the place. Burn baby BURN!

Wilk's 547 Double Dealer. If I could only choose one energy rifle to use for a whole game, this would be it. The gun can fit two standard e-clips giving it 80 shots, it has +1 to strike on aimed shots like all wilks rifles, and it has a grenade launcher that fires 3d6 MD grenades up to 500 ft!

And finally, the weapon that pretty much made my GM cry when I used it in his game: The H-11A Howitzer. My Operator managed to get his hands on one of these babies when our party had our outing in South America. Not ONLY does it deal 4d6 MD per fragmentation grenade, it does so to a 100 ft. AREA! Needless to say, it really didn't matter if the nade missed it's target, it would still take damage from the huge blast radius. Had my operator convert the weapon into a Anti-Air flak cannon that pretty much ripped up a squadron of Coalition smiling jack SAMAS.

And yes, I do realize what the topic asked for. These are my "Small arms". :D
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Wilks CFT Auto pistol with SDC ammo, Ramjet rounds and MDC laser rounds, the most versatile weapon out there, and its MDC construction, so won't break when you smack someone with it :lol:
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.

Return to “Rifts®”