Have you been part of a High Level Campaign?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Have you played in, or ran, a campaign that all the characters were 9th level or higher?

YES
55%
NO
14%
NO, but would like to try it some time.
31%

Total votes: 29

Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Have you been part of a High Level Campaign?

Unread post by Thinyser »

Have any of you ever played in, or ran, a campaign that all the characters were 9th level or higher?

What were the PC's OCCs and/or RCCs?

What system was it in? PFRPG, HU, Nightbane, Rifts, Etc. Etc. (Palladium only here please.)

Did you start the PCs at a higher level? If so what level, and how did this work out?

What were some of the most memorable challenges that were thrown against the PCs?

Just curious. :)

Ah hell... lets make this a Poll! :D
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Hi there!

Last year we had a 3 Galaxis campaign,
characters started from 3rd to 7th level
(3rd for dragon hatchling, 7th for a mere
human), where characters slowly advanced
to lvl 9th and 10th.

But since it was more based around diplomatic
events, than "conventional" investigation+combat
stories, so levels did not matter too much.

But I agree: in Palladium levels are not a big
factor, like in D20 systems...

Adios
KLM
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Misfit KotLD wrote:For Palladium, I don't think level as much as overall power. I'm in Ed3's campaign, which is very high powered.

Well "High powered" isn't what i was asking about. I am concerned with level only.

If your group was all level 9+ vagabonds then the answer would be "Yes". If you were in a group made up of level 1-8 cosmo knights and dragons then the answer would be "No".

You can easily make a low level campaign "high powered" with items and RCC/OCC pairings (if you do that) but that doesn't make them high level.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Have you been part of a High Level Campaign?

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Thinyser wrote:Have any of you ever played in, or ran, a campaign that all the characters were 9th level or higher?

Nope.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

in Ed3's game most people are around level 7...in two different OCC's.

that count?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Just a side note: a level 9+ Juicer would raise an eyebrow :D

OK, "live fast" but also "die young" - so how long
in-game-time (in PA years, for clarification) it takes
a character to reach this high level of experience?

Remember general Underhill with his cca. hundred
campaigns is still "just" a 10th lvl character (age 44),
General Cabot is 15th (age 83)...

Adios
KLM
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Misfit KotLD wrote:
KLM wrote:Just a side note: a level 9+ Juicer would raise an eyebrow :D

OK, "live fast" but also "die young" - so how long
in-game-time (in PA years, for clarification) it takes
a character to reach this high level of experience?

Remember general Underhill with his cca. hundred
campaigns is still "just" a 10th lvl character (age 44),
General Cabot is 15th (age 83)...

Adios
KLM

Well that depends doesn't it. My gunslinger in Ed3's game is twenty and at least fifth in three classes.

but still has less experiance than needed to be level 10 in just one likely
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Thinyser wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:For Palladium, I don't think level as much as overall power. I'm in Ed3's campaign, which is very high powered.

Well "High powered" isn't what i was asking about. I am concerned with level only.

If your group was all level 9+ vagabonds then the answer would be "Yes". If you were in a group made up of level 1-8 cosmo knights and dragons then the answer would be "No".

You can easily make a low level campaign "high powered" with items and RCC/OCC pairings (if you do that) but that doesn't make them high level.

Power bears a lot more than level though. A 1st level vagabond vs a 9th level is 8d6 hp and 45% in skills. A first level vagabond vs a first level Cosmo-Knight is a huge gap though.
You are seeming to not see what I am asking or are choosing to ignore it. :-?

ANY game can be high powered (items and OCC/RCC) but that is not what i am asking about... I have played in high powered games but i have never played in a high level game.... so can we all please stick to the topic I started. :ok:

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Thinyser wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:
Thinyser wrote:

Power bears a lot more than level though. A 1st level vagabond vs a 9th level is 8d6 hp and 45% in skills. A first level vagabond vs a first level Cosmo-Knight is a huge gap though.
You are seeming to not see what I am asking or are choosing to ignore it. :-?

ANY game can be high powered (items and OCC/RCC) but that is not what i am asking about... I have played in high powered games but i have never played in a high level game.... so can we all please stick to the topic I started. :ok:

No, we can't. Next question. :P

I agree that "Power level" is usually more important than "experience level" in RIFTS.
If you want to debate this with others go here, I started a thread just for you! :P

Now...for people who have been in high LEVEL campaigns, regardless of the POWER level, please refer to the starting post and feel free to give me input regarding your high LEVEL experiences.

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

I feel that players should earn their levels.
Nobody in our group has earned a level beyond 7 (well, 7th level in one class, and 3 levels in another).

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

Well currently my group isn't all quite 9th level but I have one character that has reached there. At this rate the rest of the group should be able to hit that soon enough. (Well the players that count. Meaning the players who are good and don't die before level 2)

9th level Battle Cat / 8th level Ronin
7th level Great Horned Dragon Hatchling
6th level GunBrother
3rd level Psi-Ghost
4th level Mercenary

For the sake of this we'll just omit the other classes and focus on the Battle Cat. By the way the game is RIFTS.

Actually I found that ARCHIE (The adventure and enemies presented in sourcebook 1) to be a good and fun challenge for this player group (The battle cat). I would have to say the most memorable encounter or challenge was from the first sourcebook when I threw the two rhino-robot-things at the group. They played their characters to the max, even with their levels they found themselves hopping around, hiding. Eventually the battle cat got the Cyber-Knight NPC to jump in the Big Boss ATV and ram the rhino to save the Merc and himself (the battle cat) from being squashed. and then letting loose.

^_^ The look on the gunbrother's face when the rhino's self destruct kicked in and he went flying was priceless. "I TAKE HOW MUCH?!"

All characters began at level 1. I don't like having characters starting any higher than first level. I like the players to earn their levels.

I hope that's what you were asking for. Sorry not ALL of the characters are level 9.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Killer Cyborg wrote:I feel that players should earn their levels.
Nobody in our group has earned a level beyond 7 (well, 7th level in one class, and 3 levels in another).

I tend to agree though I did play a game of AD&D where we all started at 11+ in level.....it was fun to have a much larger spectrum of power (both raw and relationship based) gained via the higher levels.

I've never played a Palladium character beyond 5th level and was thinking of running a "High level" game where all characters would start with 100,000 XP (about 10th lvl for most OCCs & RCCs) and had some solid connections to large groups. It would be a "one last quest" before retierment kinda thing.

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

SkyeFyre wrote:Well currently my group isn't all quite 9th level but I have one character that has reached there. At this rate the rest of the group should be able to hit that soon enough. (Well the players that count. Meaning the players who are good and don't die before level 2)

9th level Battle Cat / 8th level Ronin
7th level Great Horned Dragon Hatchling
6th level GunBrother
3rd level Psi-Ghost
4th level Mercenary

For the sake of this we'll just omit the other classes and focus on the Battle Cat. By the way the game is RIFTS.

Actually I found that ARCHIE (The adventure and enemies presented in sourcebook 1) to be a good and fun challenge for this player group (The battle cat). I would have to say the most memorable encounter or challenge was from the first sourcebook when I threw the two rhino-robot-things at the group. They played their characters to the max, even with their levels they found themselves hopping around, hiding. Eventually the battle cat got the Cyber-Knight NPC to jump in the Big Boss ATV and ram the rhino to save the Merc and himself (the battle cat) from being squashed. and then letting loose.

^_^ The look on the gunbrother's face when the rhino's self destruct kicked in and he went flying was priceless. "I TAKE HOW MUCH?!"

All characters began at level 1. I don't like having characters starting any higher than first level. I like the players to earn their levels.

I hope that's what you were asking for. Sorry not ALL of the characters are level 9.

KOOL :ok:

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Thinyser wrote:

I tend to agree though I did play a game of AD&D where we all started at 11+ in level.....it was fun to have a much larger spectrum of power (both raw and relationship based) gained via the higher levels.

I've done the same with AD&D 3rd Edition, but that game is designed that way. If you want a high-powered campaign, the only way to do it is to have a high-level campaign.
In Rifts, you can have a high-powered campaign of PCs who are all at 1st level. :)

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Thinyser wrote:

I've done the same with AD&D 3rd Edition, but that game is designed that way. If you want a high-powered campaign, the only way to do it is to have a high-level campaign.
In Rifts, you can have a high-powered campaign of PCs who are all at 1st level. :)

It is very true that you can have very powerfull 1st level characters in Palladium but certain things like status and connections are harder to justify at lower levels. Yes you may be very powerful but you are new to the scene and as such you haven't built that network of relationships, and will lack its benefits.

And hey take that powerfull (raw power) 1st level character and bump him up to 10th and they should have even more raw power.

Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Cripes... I think the highest level Palladium character I've ever had was like, third level or something. Level doesn't really mean so much in the game, anyway. :)
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

You'd actually be surprised at how much it affects gameplay. True it's not "smack you in the face" obvious but you can definately see it.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Re: High level campaign

DarkWanderer wrote:I am currently GM'ing a campaign where all the charachters are 12th level

Its rifts, china setting

Got a

Meditative martial warrior - human
Philosophical martial warrior - demi god
Spirit Host (Lion) - human
Mystic(modified for setting) - human

The campaign has been going about six months

everyone started at level one. though i use my own expierence point system which rewards role playing highly and kill not much at all, so there charachters have levelled in a session that had no combat

i havent really had any challenges in running the game, the battles they have had have been challenging and i focus more on situations resolved through thinking and role playing anyways.

I have also played in a high level campaign, Rifts, taking place in North America

9th level human Demon Queller (me)
10th level Altantean Mystic
10th Commando
12th level city rat with delusions of bursterness

fun campaign, we were hunting a evil god who had appeared on Earth

Kool though i like to level quickly 1 up to 12 in 6 months (that 2 levels a month) is almost too fast unless you get togeter twice a week.

Return to “Rifts®”