Create Force Fields & Gravity

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Create Force Fields & Gravity

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

I've always wondered how gravity effects the major super ability of
Create Force Field? Its energy (solid energy I suppose) so does that mean
its effected by gravity? To be effected by gravity means mass and
density. The main reason I'm wondering is if you make a platform does it
float off the ground or rest on top of it. Suppost you're on water, does it
sink or float?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Force Feilds are not affected by gravity
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Force Feilds are not affected by gravity

Yup.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Force Feilds are not affected by gravity

Yup.
Agreed.

Force Fields are Energy.

Energy isn't affected by Gravitonic Waves to any extent noticeable to human Perception -unless you're near a Black Hole or Neutron Star, of course......

:D
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Actually, this brings to mind a question I was going to ask about Create Force Field. Are fields created by this power always required to be stationary (relative to the Earth)? Or can they be 'attached' to a moving object? Eg. could one surround the top of their convertible car with a force-dome? Could they create a 'force tower shield' attached to their arm?

If they are required to be stationary relative to the ground, Create Force Field becomes a truly savage weapon if you're in a superpower battle on, say, a train, or even worse, a jetliner... :twisted:
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Qev wrote:Actually, this brings to mind a question I was going to ask about Create Force Field. Are fields created by this power always required to be stationary (relative to the Earth)? Or can they be 'attached' to a moving object? Eg. could one surround the top of their convertible car with a force-dome? Could they create a 'force tower shield' attached to their arm?

If they are required to be stationary relative to the ground, Create Force Field becomes a truly savage weapon if you're in a superpower battle on, say, a train, or even worse, a jetliner... :twisted:

the power is reletive the object your standing on. be it terra firma or a train.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Force fields are made of force not energy.
but otherwise I agree with everyone.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:the power is reletive the object your standing on. be it terra firma or a train.

How about the 'attach to arm' thing? :)
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Qev wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:the power is reletive the object your standing on. be it terra firma or a train.

How about the 'attach to arm' thing? :)

I don't think so

but kinda remember, the planet as a whole is moving at thousands of miles a second. it it's NOT relative you'd be smacked into it instantly.

for that matter, Teleportation would put you out into space every time if it's not relative.

Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:but kinda remember, the planet as a whole is moving at thousands of miles a second. it it's NOT relative you'd be smacked into it instantly.

for that matter, Teleportation would put you out into space every time if it's not relative.

:demon:

Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

So to sum up everything everyone has said:

"Force fields are effected by gravity except when the effect would give the user a gameplay crippling positive or negative advantage."

:-D
:fool:
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Jesterzzn wrote:So to sum up everything everyone has said:

"Force fields are effected by gravity except when the effect would give the user a gameplay crippling positive or negative advantage."

:-D

Er, rather, force fields are not effected by gravity, but in most cases remain stationary relative to the user's frame of reference. :)

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Tyciol wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Qev wrote:Actually, this brings to mind a question I was going to ask about Create Force Field. Are fields created by this power always required to be stationary (relative to the Earth)? Or can they be 'attached' to a moving object? Eg. could one surround the top of their convertible car with a force-dome? Could they create a 'force tower shield' attached to their arm?

the power is reletive the object your standing on. be it terra firma or a train.
The question of course arises then: what happens if the person gets knocked off?

The force field would continue to exist in it's place until it went out of your maximum range or you dispelled it. It would maintain it's relativity in respect to where you were when it was created, unless it was created around you. In that case, you are it's what it's relative to.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

I can't see why this post hasn't been moved to the HU forum, as it clearly belongs there.
I will ask a mod to due so.

Edit:thanx! her black wings!
Last edited by Sir_Spirit on Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

goodlun wrote:
Sir_Spirit wrote:Force fields are made of force not energy.
but otherwise I agree with everyone.

Force = Mass times Acceleration

Not exactly something that you can make something of I liked the example of it being made of kentic energy.
[/b]

Alright smarty pants, Energy-force times Distance moved.
In your words"Not exactly something that you can make something of"
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Well since you can create a body field around yourself -
Subpower #2 Body Armor/ Protective Aura, 2nd paragraph, Limitations of the Body Armor Field, last sentence wrote: Speed and Movement are not impaired.
This tells me that
  • Force Fields can move.
  • That creating a field for the roof of a convertible while/ during movement would be possible.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

So is the concenus with everyone that force fields are not effected by
gravity, and that if you made a flat platform that it would hover in the air
or float on water? Now mind you, I'm not saying their flying platforms.
They only hover, say a foot or a few inches off the ground.
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

Reagren Wright wrote:So is the concenus with everyone that force fields are not effected by
gravity, and that if you made a flat platform that it would hover in the air
or float on water? Now mind you, I'm not saying their flying platforms.
They only hover, say a foot or a few inches off the ground.

they stay where you put them. simple as that.
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

If you were to fall off a cliff, and put a force field around you, you would still continue to fall.
Yes, to an extent, Gravity affects you.
It'll float on water, but if it's just a platform, then it can also be capsized.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Sentinel wrote:If you were to fall off a cliff, and put a force field around you, you would still continue to fall.

So... could you use the force field to break your fall, ie. a platform to land on (preferrably before you got moving too fast)?

It'll float on water, but if it's just a platform, then it can also be capsized.

I always assumed force fields were 'fixed' in their frame of reference (although the frame of reference itself may be moving), which would imply a force field couldn't be 'capsized'... athough it wouldn't actually be floating, either. No? Yes? Help? :)

Can the force field creator choose the frame of reference they want to use?

Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Their is a minor super ability in PU1 called Flying force disk.
IT allow you to create a mobile disk of force.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I would allow the Force Fields to be moved, at a maximum speed equal to the users M.E. Of course I also base the max strength of the fields off of the users M.E. as well.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Sentinel
Palladin

Qev wrote:
Sentinel wrote:If you were to fall off a cliff, and put a force field around you, you would still continue to fall.

So... could you use the force field to break your fall, ie. a platform to land on (preferrably before you got moving too fast)?

You'd need to shape it into a column, but I could see that working.

I always assumed force fields were 'fixed' in their frame of reference (although the frame of reference itself may be moving), which would imply a force field couldn't be 'capsized'... athough it wouldn't actually be floating, either. No? Yes? Help? :)

If you made a force field platform (several inches thick, and circular), I would think it would float (water surface tension being what it is), but if the platform were struck from below, or if the seas were stormy or extremely rough, then the force field could be capsized as any vessel might be. It's hard to be 'fixed' to a surface like water.

I would say it depends in part on the configuration of the field itself, and the surface they are attempting to anchor to, as well as any factor of motion (if any).
Anchoring to the top of a moving train: no problem. But, if the train is breaking into tiny pieces beneath you, then you'd have problems.

Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Sentinel wrote:
Qev wrote:

Why a column? I meant, just like a fixed, flat surface, 'hovering' in the air to catch you... ie. making the platform's position fixed relative to the surface of the Earth.

If you made a force field platform (several inches thick, and circular), I would think it would float (water surface tension being what it is), but if the platform were struck from below, or if the seas were stormy or extremely rough, then the force field could be capsized as any vessel might be. It's hard to be 'fixed' to a surface like water.

I would say it depends in part on the configuration of the field itself, and the surface they are attempting to anchor to, as well as any factor of motion (if any).
Anchoring to the top of a moving train: no problem. But, if the train is breaking into tiny pieces beneath you, then you'd have problems.

In terms of the 'boat' force field... what frame of reference is it being created in? I imagine that would have to be relative to the creator, not the Earth, otherwise it would just sit there, fixed, while waves beat against it. :)

If you can make a force field that's in a fixed position relative to a (moving) person, can you create a force field parachute, by throwing a half-dome above them with a hole in the middle?

I think I need some aspirin. :)

Sentinel
Palladin

Qev wrote:
Sentinel wrote:
Qev wrote:

Why a column? I meant, just like a fixed, flat surface, 'hovering' in the air to catch you... ie. making the platform's position fixed relative to the surface of the Earth.

Well, with a column, you'd actually form it from the top down, so that the bottom struck the Earth, without overly jarring you on top. Force Fields can't really hover on their own, otherwise they would provide a free form of levitation. This is why I suggest the Column: it's still a form of levitation in a way, but it makes sense.

In terms of the 'boat' force field... what frame of reference is it being created in? I imagine that would have to be relative to the creator, not the Earth, otherwise it would just sit there, fixed, while waves beat against it. :)

Well, the creator (I imagine) would be at the center of the fields' diameter.
Its' overall stability however is realative to what it's resting on: the field doen't come with an inbuilt Immovability power.

If you can make a force field that's in a fixed position relative to a (moving) person, can you create a force field parachute, by throwing a half-dome above them with a hole in the middle?

You could do that I suppose, but what is it attached to? Or, how are you attaching your self to the field?
On the other hand, see the power Create Force Constructs in PUI.

I think I need some aspirin. :)

I have some here. You're welcome to them.

Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Sentinel wrote:Well, the creator (I imagine) would be at the center of the fields' diameter.
Its' overall stability however is realative to what it's resting on: the field doen't come with an inbuilt Immovability power.

I always figured force fields would be stationary in their frame of reference, ie. immovable. Otherwise, you couldn't say, block villains in a hallway or stop an escaping car, or anything like that; they'd just push the field aside. Nor could you protect someone from an explosion, as the force field would simply slam into them anyway.

This is how I'm approaching the 'falling off a cliff' thing, as well. Just create a stationary platform that stops you from falling. It couldn't really be used as levitation, per se, since the force field would be stationary.

You could do that I suppose, but what is it attached to? Or, how are you attaching your self to the field?
On the other hand, see the power Create Force Constructs in PUI.

That's kind of a weird paradox, isn't it. The force field would have to stay in its relative position to you, so it falls as fast as you do. But it would also push against the air like any object its size, which would slow it down... uh... so it generates a de facto force on you? :? :D

Sentinel
Palladin

I always figured force fields would be stationary in their frame of reference, ie. immovable. Otherwise, you couldn't say, block villains in a hallway or stop an escaping car, or anything like that; they'd just push the field aside.

In these cases the field would be fixed to the ground, and thus as immovable as it can be depending on the force exerted against it (a Supernatural PS of 500 is probably going to do enough to move the field or destroy it outright).
But, when falling off the cliff, the field is relative to the caster, who is falling. The field provides no flight or levitation ability, so the caster keeps falling, although he is wrapped in a protective bubble.

If you were on top of a speeding vehicle and created a force field, it would be anchored to the top of the vehicle in a relative position to the caster. Thus, it moves as you do.

Remember, all a force field really is suposed to do is provide an invisible form of protection: it doesn't defy gravity, or alter inertia.
Making specific shapes/items is a function of a separate power (Create Force Constructs).

you can stop from falling(do it pretty quickly or you would crash into it..force fields are not soft).

I addressed the 'stopping yourself from falling' point earlier, but in addition, there have been numerous examples in comics of people who created force cushions to break the falls of partners, or victims and by-standers, etc. The description of the power gives it's maximum SDC in resistance and protection: I've always taken the stance that the caster can use less SDC than maximum for cushiony effects.

Reagren Wright

Well if you made a force sphere on water it had to float because the sphere if full of air.
If it sinks that means the "force" has mass and
density to it. I guess the best way to solve this answer is to define what
force energy is. Energy that mimics matter or solid energy with all the
properties of normal energy (fire, light, and electricity) which means
impervious to gravity (unless you count a black hole).
to gravity
Sentinel
Palladin

Reagren Wright wrote:Well if you made a force sphere on water it had to float because the sphere if full of air.
If it sinks that means the "force" has mass and
density to it. I guess the best way to solve this answer is to define what
force energy is. Energy that mimics matter or solid energy with all the
properties of normal energy (fire, light, and electricity) which means
impervious to gravity (unless you count a black hole).
to gravity

The surface tension of water can support dense materials, so I would imagine a force field raft would float apart from being forcibly struck, or rough waters.
I would imagine the sphere would float because of the trapped air.
Moreover, if one were to use the force sphere as a means to return to surface, I would guess the pressure changes might not affect those within the sphere, although they would act as an "attack" on the SDC of the sphere. Unlike a bathyscape or a submarine, I don't see the enviornment in the force field changing (it keeps out heat attacks, cold attacks, etc, so why should changes in the air affect it?)

Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Sentinel wrote:In these cases the field would be fixed to the ground, and thus as immovable as it can be depending on the force exerted against it (a Supernatural PS of 500 is probably going to do enough to move the field or destroy it outright).

But... why is it fixed to the ground? You can't embed it in the ground, otherwise you could just as easily englobe an enemy's head, and thus sever it from his body.

But, when falling off the cliff, the field is relative to the caster, who is falling. The field provides no flight or levitation ability, so the caster keeps falling, although he is wrapped in a protective bubble.

Well... assuming you can 'afix' the force field to something, why not to the cliff-face, like a diving board? This, of course, conjures images of Looney Tunes... :)

Remember, all a force field really is suposed to do is provide an invisible form of protection: it doesn't defy gravity, or alter inertia.
Making specific shapes/items is a function of a separate power (Create Force Constructs).

I'd personally allow simple constructs with Create Force Field... like a set of stairs. But again, I've always figured a force field object would simply 'stay where you put it', and not fall under gravity or get pushed out of the way of things. Otherwise, being massless, it would provide little useful protection.

I guess in a lot of superhero comics and stories, it's very much 'writer's fiat' how force fields behave in terms of frames of reference. Maybe this is one of those GM's discression type of things.

On a complete tangent, it's silly that you can't make a motor with Create Force Constructs; an electric motor has like, one moving part. :)

I addressed the 'stopping yourself from falling' point earlier, but in addition, there have been numerous examples in comics of people who created force cushions to break the falls of partners, or victims and by-standers, etc. The description of the power gives it's maximum SDC in resistance and protection: I've always taken the stance that the caster can use less SDC than maximum for cushiony effects.

I never thought of that... force fields with different 'textures'. So... you could make flexible force fields? That could make for some amusing applications, considering they're nominally invisible... :lol:

I wonder... has anyone ever discouraged pursuers with a few hundred invisible, force field ball bearings? Or worse, invisible, force field caltrops? :)

abjurer wrote:trying to apply logic to the force fields causes lots of problems :P

I know. It's my nature to cause these sorts of problems, I guess. I'm too curious. :lol:

Sentinel
Palladin

Qev wrote:
Sentinel wrote:In these cases the field would be fixed to the ground, and thus as immovable as it can be depending on the force exerted against it (a Supernatural PS of 500 is probably going to do enough to move the field or destroy it outright).

But... why is it fixed to the ground? You can't embed it in the ground, otherwise you could just as easily englobe an enemy's head, and thus sever it from his body.

It anchors to the surface of the ground. If I remember the description right, the field is immobile as either a wall or as a dome.
While you can't sever a persons' head, you can cut off their oxygen with a small bubble. Try this one: put a small bubble around the head, then hammer them in the gut with a force ball to knock the wind out of them.

Well... assuming you can 'afix' the force field to something, why not to the cliff-face, like a diving board? This, of course, conjures images of Looney Tunes... :)
No one said how close the cliff face was. I'd allow that attempt, but the caster would have to make a roll to see if he were successful: you still run the risk of messing up, and slamming into your own platform too hard.

I'd personally allow simple constructs with Create Force Field... like a set of stairs. But again, I've always figured a force field object would simply 'stay where you put it', and not fall under gravity or get pushed out of the way of things. Otherwise, being massless, it would provide little useful protection.

Under most conditions, I'd agree with you, but when there is nothing upon which to stand, nothing about force field offers flight.
I have run situations in the past, where a caster has used a full bubble (as opposed to a dome) their opponents have been able to roll them into some new hazard.

I guess in a lot of superhero comics and stories, it's very much 'writer's fiat' how force fields behave in terms of frames of reference. Maybe this is one of those GM's discression type of things.

On a complete tangent, it's silly that you can't make a motor with Create Force Constructs; an electric motor has like, one moving part. :)

I never thought of that... force fields with different 'textures'. So... you could make flexible force fields? That could make for some amusing applications, considering they're nominally invisible... :lol:

Sure. It's like Sonic Running: while you can run at the speed of sound, nothing says you can't run slower. So, while your force field might have a maximum of 900 SDC (or, whatever your maximum is), nothing says it can't be less than that if the caster so chooses to make it weaker.

I wonder... has anyone ever discouraged pursuers with a few hundred invisible, force field ball bearings? Or worse, invisible, force field caltrops? :)
Ball bearings, yes. I've never done caltrops. Sudden protrusions to act as a 'clothesline' maneuver as well.

abjurer wrote:trying to apply logic to the force fields causes lots of problems :P

I know. It's my nature to cause these sorts of problems, I guess. I'm too curious. :lol:

It kills cats you know. :D

Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Fortunately Qev is a dog, it only gives him headaches...
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Sentinel
Palladin

Fortunately Qev is a dog,

Must be why I like him so much. :lol:

Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Sentinel wrote:

My poor cat... I'm always chasing her... :D

Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Qev wrote:
Sentinel wrote:

Me too. :lol: (My cat I mean, it would be very odd for me to chase your cat...)
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Kalinda wrote:
Qev wrote:
Sentinel wrote:

Me too. :lol: (My cat I mean, it would be very odd for me to chase your cat...)

Hey, maybe together, we could actually catch her. :)

Sentinel
Palladin

Qev wrote:
Sentinel wrote:

Must be the dawg in you.
Bow-wow-wow-dibee-yo-dibee-yay...

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”