Your least favorite Rifts book

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Eashamahel
Hero

Re: Your least favorite Rifts book

Unread post by Eashamahel »

What do you mean by mostly useless by the books conclusion?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Eashamahel wrote:What do you mean by mostly useless by the books conclusion?

"If you are not running that book's adventure then it is mostly useless." Is what I think he means....or close to it. But since most Rifts games take place in NA, all the wouldbooks not of NA could be said to be useless to some point.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

"If you are not running that book's adventure then it is mostly useless." Is what I think he means....or close to it. But since most Rifts games take place in NA, all the wouldbooks not of NA could be said to be useless to some point.

Plus the only connection it had to NA at all was that it was part of The Great Metaplot Attempt That Went Nowhere And Never Got Mentioned Again (aka the prophecy from the Mechanoids sourcebook).
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

It got mentioned again with the Xiticic being the new devouring horde.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

The Four horseman are defeated by the books conclusion with the death of one of them, Famine I believe.
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!
Eashamahel
Hero

Ah. So, do you mean it's basically implied that the Horsemen will not succeed in their attempt to destroy the world?
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Daniel Stoker wrote:It got mentioned again with the Xiticic being the new devouring horde.

Daniel Stoker

But the prophecy storyline in the Mechanoids sourcebook only existed in the first place to help build the Mechanoids up as a major threat in their own right and serve as a launching point for Mechanoid-related campaigns so they wouldn't seem like just another pack of random wandering monsters. That's one hell of a retcon.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Eashamahel wrote:Ah. So, do you mean it's basically implied that the Horsemen will not succeed in their attempt to destroy the world?

It's basically implied that every attempt to destroy the world fails, no matter who's trying it. It seems like every other book has an alien intelligence or an invading horde or whatever who's on the brink of destroying/conquering/eating/corrupting/whatevering the whole of Rifts Earth, but whatever the baddy is up to never gets mentioned again even though you'd think his bid for world domination/destruction/whatever would've had far reaching effects across most of the setting.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Rallan wrote:
Eashamahel wrote:Ah. So, do you mean it's basically implied that the Horsemen will not succeed in their attempt to destroy the world?

It's basically implied that every attempt to destroy the world fails, no matter who's trying it. It seems like every other book has an alien intelligence or an invading horde or whatever who's on the brink of destroying/conquering/eating/corrupting/whatevering the whole of Rifts Earth, but whatever the baddy is up to never gets mentioned again even though you'd think his bid for world domination/destruction/whatever would've had far reaching effects across most of the setting.

To be fair of course they're going to assume it failed, if it succeeded you obviously couldn't write any new books now could you? An individual campaign may fail and see the world destroyed but the writers have to assume that somehow if the PC don't happen to be there to stop the threat someone else does.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Rallan wrote:
Daniel Stoker wrote:It got mentioned again with the Xiticic being the new devouring horde.

Daniel Stoker

But the prophecy storyline in the Mechanoids sourcebook only existed in the first place to help build the Mechanoids up as a major threat in their own right and serve as a launching point for Mechanoid-related campaigns so they wouldn't seem like just another pack of random wandering monsters. That's one hell of a retcon.

I think i has to do with property licences, same with the change in dragons in RUE.
If somebody has the movie rights to make a Rifts movie, and somebody else decides to buy the rightst to make a Mechanoids movie, I think that Kev wants it clear that the Mechanoids aren't an important part of the Rifts setting, so he can sell seperate movie rights for them.
I'm pretty sure that I'm basing this on something that somebody told me, but I might just be imagining it.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Rallan wrote:

Daniel Stoker

I think i has to do with property licences, same with the change in dragons in RUE.
If somebody has the movie rights to make a Rifts movie, and somebody else decides to buy the rightst to make a Mechanoids movie, I think that Kev wants it clear that the Mechanoids aren't an important part of the Rifts setting, so he can sell seperate movie rights for them.
I'm pretty sure that I'm basing this on something that somebody told me, but I might just be imagining it.

No you are right, it has to do with intellectual property.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

If they resist their inclination to advance the time line, then they can safely define as many potentially world devouring/conquering/destroying/whatever forces as they want. In fact, playing one such force against another can make for one heck of a campaign.

Sure, there can only be one at the end, but you can start with as many as you want and leave it up to the GMs and players to advance the story line as they see fit.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

flatline wrote:If they resist their inclination to advance the time line, then they can safely define as many potentially world devouring/conquering/destroying/whatever forces as they want. In fact, playing one such force against another can make for one heck of a campaign.

Sure, there can only be one at the end, but you can start with as many as you want and leave it up to the GMs and players to advance the story line as they see fit.

--flatline

100% agreed.
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Rallan wrote:

Daniel Stoker

Would be nice if he could actually sell a second license, so that all of that didn't just turn into a decade or two of wasted potential development. :(
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Eashamahel
Hero

Killer Cyborg wrote:I think i has to do with property licences, same with the change in dragons in RUE.

Sorry to derail, but I remember that there were different types of dragons in R:UE rulebok, why is that about property license?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Eashamahel wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:I think i has to do with property licences, same with the change in dragons in RUE.

Sorry to derail, but I remember that there were different types of dragons in R:UE rulebok, why is that about property license?

The dragons from the RMB are originally from PFRPG.
Eashamahel
Hero

Oh, okay, so it's not that someone else created them or anything, but that they are from Palladium Fantasy and not uniquely Rifts.
Acid0philus
D-Bee

Unread post by Acid0philus »

Least favorite? Dinosaur swamp.

That said, there is stuff in there that I find invaluable and game saving in the book.

But, I find it hard to believe that North Georgia, the very foothills of the Appalachians suffered from enough flooding to decimate populations. Seismic activities? I believe that. There are three faultlines in Georgia. In fact the tectonic upheaval and fire raging seems to click with what was written in Chaos Earth. Georgia is no stranger to flooding, and as such the people here know how to conduct themselves with it. Earthquakes? Not so much. While we have 3 faults, the last scheduled quake didn't happen 300 years ago, so we're overdue; which, will make the coming of the rifts fairly spectacular! I also have very different ideas about how rural society would have acted, having lived there, but, that is the magic behind the game. While I have issues with the book, there is stuff in it that I can tailor to my campaign settings that make it work for me and my gamers.

So, while it is my least favorite, it sees alot of use. "Come to Elijah! We're havin' Tritop Steaks an' Raptor Ribs over at Paw's! Junior's bringin' the shine, and June's bringin' the girls over ta sing! Gonna be plenty, an' then we're gonna go out an' turn back some o'them dawg boys in that wierd black armor!"
There was no Chaos Earth category, so I got stuck with a Chromium Guardsman, er, Glitterboy... <.<
arthurfallz
Wanderer

Unread post by arthurfallz »

Rifts Sourcebook Two: The Mechanoids.

It was swapped around my group as a gag birthday present. No one wanted it. We tried, about three times, to run a game about stopping the Mechanoid invasion, and each time the players threw up their hands. The Mechanoids just had no interesting personality (in our opinion). I'm sure if I took a crack at them again nowadays, I could make them into something fierce that has nothing to do with their stats, but they fell flat in our group.

Runners up?

Rifts World Book Three: England: Just awful. The celtic gods were done poorly, and I think it was Dagda got one of Kevin's less talented drawings. It did have Millenium Trees though. I was very dissapointed with the treatment of the Arthurian mythos (why couldn't King Arthur be a CYBERKNIGHT!?!?).

Rifts World Book Four: Africa: A mess. We had some fun fighting the Horsemen, and I liked the Phoenix Empire, but it's not a good book. The Necromancer O.C.C. is the reason to buy this book (or skip it and get Rifts Book of Magic).

Siege on Tolkeen Series: Just dumb. This would have been one book worth getting (despite the serious criticisms I have of the strategies and concepts presented), but to go over several books felt silly to me. Cash grab.
I reserve the right to change my opinion the moment I am proven wrong; that's called learning.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

arthurfallz wrote:Rifts Sourcebook Two: The Mechanoids.

It was swapped around my group as a gag birthday present. No one wanted it. We tried, about three times, to run a game about stopping the Mechanoid invasion, and each time the players threw up their hands. The Mechanoids just had no interesting personality (in our opinion). I'm sure if I took a crack at them again nowadays, I could make them into something fierce that has nothing to do with their stats, but they fell flat in our group.

Watch Dr. Who.
Especially the more recent series...the Daleks? Yep, that's the Mechies to a "T"
OR read the Fred Saberhagen 'Berserker' books (if you can find any still in print that is; poor guy died last year and the publishers are being greedy [censored]s and NOT letting his stuff get re-printed). Play 'em like a combo of both and you'll have the guys actually be FUN to GM. :demon:
Basicly the mechanoids are direct rip-offs of both concepts tossed together and given psionics.
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

DhAkael wrote:

Watch Dr. Who.
Especially the more recent series...the Daleks? Yep, that's the Mechies to a "T"
OR read the Fred Saberhagen 'Berserker' books (if you can find any still in print that is; poor guy died last year and the publishers are being greedy [censored]s and NOT letting his stuff get re-printed). Play 'em like a combo of both and you'll have the guys actually be FUN to GM. :demon:
Basicly the mechanoids are direct rip-offs of both concepts tossed together and given psionics.

There actually are Berskerkers in the mega-verse, although they're unnamed the alien cyborg in Robot Control is from an alternate Earth where it notes that they're battling a foe even worse than the Mechanoids as it seeks to destroy all organic life. Would be interesting seeing two such scourges coming up against each other, since even if they were non-humanoid the Mechanoids would still have to fight them because they'd still seek to destroy the Mechanoids since they're partially organic.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Nightmask wrote:
DhAkael wrote:

Watch Dr. Who.

There actually are Berskerkers in the mega-verse, although they're unnamed the alien cyborg in Robot Control is from an alternate Earth where it notes that they're battling a foe even worse than the Mechanoids as it seeks to destroy all organic life. Would be interesting seeing two such scourges coming up against each other, since even if they were non-humanoid the Mechanoids would still have to fight them because they'd still seek to destroy the Mechanoids since they're partially organic.

Yep. :demon:
*hands over bag* "...popcorn?"

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

My least favorite book is probably Triax 2. Too many juice box stains and crayon scribbles.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."

Return to “Rifts®”