Why Are There No Good Alien Intelligences?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Why are there no good alien intelligences?

Because Good is Dumb ("Lord Helmet" Theory)
16%
Because Power Corrupts ("Hall Monitor" Theory)
24%
Because Aliens are Evil ("Imperium of Man" Theory)
18%
Because the Dark Side Is Stronger ("Emperor Palpatine" Theory)
6%
Because! ("Author of This Thread Sucks" Theory, please elaborate)
35%

Total votes: 49

Hotrod
Knight

Re: Why Are There No Good Alien Intelligences?

Unread post by Hotrod »

See, that's the thing though. I think it's entirely appropriate, and dramatically very interesting, to have good vs good in an RPG. It certainly happens in real life. All it takes is a conflict of duty, loyalty, ethics, or priorities, and two principled characters can start blazing away at each other. Shoot, a simple miscommunication could do it (and often does in real life).

A good AI isn't necessarily benevolent. Far from it! They may choose to protect something at the expense of many others. The best villains aren't demonic monsters that do it all for the evulz. They're sympathetic characters whose different priorities drive them to become the antagonist. On the way, they may become evil, or they may stay true to their moral values.

The Vorlons from B5, Inspector Javert from Les Miserables, and the Eldar from 40k are all examples of good alignments in the role of the villain. A good AI could, and in my opinion, should, be a great fightable antagonist.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Hotrod wrote:
A good AI isn't necessarily benevolent. Far from it! They may choose to protect something at the expense of many others. The best villains aren't demonic monsters that do it all for the evulz. They're sympathetic characters whose different priorities drive them to become the antagonist. On the way, they may become evil, or they may stay true to their moral values.

The Vorlons from B5, Inspector Javert from Les Miserables, and the Eldar from 40k are all examples of good alignments in the role of the villain. A good AI could, and in my opinion, should, be a great fightable antagonist.

There's a line from Keith Laumer's A Plague of Demons, where two eldritch galactic powers have been fighting each other for (it's implied) millennia, using the younger races as proxies(and components in their weapons systems), and one human(brain transplanted into a giant tank) gets to experience both sides' core philosophies and concludes 'Hell comes in two different colors, black and white'.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Hotrod wrote:See, that's the thing though. I think it's entirely appropriate, and dramatically very interesting, to have good vs good in an RPG. It certainly happens in real life. All it takes is a conflict of duty, loyalty, ethics, or priorities, and two principled characters can start blazing away at each other. Shoot, a simple miscommunication could do it (and often does in real life).

Oh please, everyone in the 40k universe, except maybe the tao, the sensei and star child, are villainous.

Meh, it's always if in order for me to survive i do something heinous, it's evil. If in order for my species to survive i do something heinous to another species it is altruistic except to the other species which find it evil. I in order for all life to survive i do somethimg heinous do all consider me good? What if by doing so it ensures the destruction of creation and the regeneration of life!
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)

Return to “Rifts®”