Query about South America II

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Query about South America II

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Lost Seraph wrote:Nope, not even adequate. I can find many things wrong in a setting, but if the good outweighs the bad overall in the setting, then I'll play or run it. In my eyes, there are more good details then bad details in Rifts:SA or Dinosaur Swamp/New West.

I don't have a problem with that. IF the Good in Rifts didn't outweigh the Bad, I wouldn't be here.
But it irks me when people pretend that the Bad isn't Bad.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Lost Seraph wrote:Nope, not even adequate. I can find many things wrong in a setting, but if the good outweighs the bad overall in the setting, then I'll play or run it. In my eyes, there are more good details then bad details in Rifts:SA or Dinosaur Swamp/New West.

I don't have a problem with that. IF the Good in Rifts didn't outweigh the Bad, I wouldn't be here.

I continue to buy the books because the bad is mostly ignorable, especially if you've given up on the idea of trying to use book materials as written. The good, on the other hand, is usually quite good.

I find that I enjoy the books even more if I just skip over the parts related to game mechanics (OCC skills and bonuses, weapon and armor stats, etc) the first time through.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

flatline wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

I continue to buy the books because the bad is mostly ignorable, especially if you've given up on the idea of trying to use book materials as written. The good, on the other hand, is usually quite good.

I find that I enjoy the books even more if I just skip over the parts related to game mechanics (OCC skills and bonuses, weapon and armor stats, etc) the first time through.

--flatline

Plus just because you find something to be bad doesn't mean someone else doesn't count it as good or that they're somehow wrong for thinking it good. Which is the complex task of the writer of books for RPG, having enough material so some of it appeals to everyone in some fashion while not enough of it is unappealing that people want to buy the product.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
flatline
Knight

Nightmask wrote:
flatline wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

--flatline

Plus just because you find something to be bad doesn't mean someone else doesn't count it as good or that they're somehow wrong for thinking it good. Which is the complex task of the writer of books for RPG, having enough material so some of it appeals to everyone in some fashion while not enough of it is unappealing that people want to buy the product.

True. Others might like the bits that I don't care for.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Nightmask wrote: just because you find something to be bad doesn't mean someone else doesn't count it as good or that they're somehow wrong for thinking it good.

Agreed, in that the first does not prevent the second, nor does it cause the third.
Additionally, just because some people like a thing does not mean that it is good, nor that they are correct.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Killer Cyborg
Priest

flatline wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

--flatline

Personally, I find my tastes and distastes spread rather evenly mechanics and flavor text; there is good in each, and bad in each.
I have opined lately, though, that Palladium should back away from rules and stats in their books, and focus more on flavor text.

flatline
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:
flatline wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

--flatline

Personally, I find my tastes and distastes spread rather evenly mechanics and flavor text; there is good in each, and bad in each.
I have opined lately, though, that Palladium should back away from rules and stats in their books, and focus more on flavor text.

I agree with that sentiment. The stats presented are useful to give an idea how the author intended things to balance, but where it conflicts with the setting description, I generally side with the setting. And I would prefer to trade pages of stats for more pages of setting.

In RMB, they should have defined the stats for common weapons and then never bothered with them again except for flavor. Imagine all the space wasted throughout the books on MD energy pistols that do 1d6, 2d4, or 2d6MD.

--flatline

Return to “Rifts®”