Starship designs...

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DhAkael
Knight

Re: Starship designs...

Unread post by DhAkael »

OH...and he's going for the "stretch" version.
Double the size, double the boom ;-)
http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/PirateBattleShipBoxArt.jpg
Hey..all one needs to do is just slap together a bunch o' augment pods and "BAM!!"
:D 8)
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

DhAkael wrote:OH...and he's going for the "stretch" version.
Double the size, double the boom ;-)
http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/PirateBattleShipBoxArt.jpg
Hey..all one needs to do is just slap together a bunch o' augment pods and "BAM!!"
:D 8)

Ouch...maybe he should just upgrade to an Aurora-class destroyer. :D

...Nah...don't wanna give them a BFStarshipG just yet.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Singular X-ray cannon or the plasma torp in the bow, mostly just the "heavy" turrets on the dorsal hunch and "lights" & PDS for the rest. Rather UNDER gunned really.
write up shall be forthcoming ;)

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:Singular X-ray cannon or the plasma torp in the bow, mostly just the "heavy" turrets on the dorsal hunch and "lights" & PDS for the rest. Rather UNDER gunned really.
write up shall be forthcoming ;)

Looking forward to it. :D

PS/ASI designs are MEANT to be modded, either by our own staff, or after sale. We design a lot of leeway into them to allow for upgrades and customer customization. From drab to extravagant, whether you're building a bulk carrier for your delivery fleet or pimping your singlepod into a love machine(or turning that bulk freighter into your flying harem palace or making that singleship into your transport of last resort).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Was looking at a few of the last ships posted and came upon something. There was a listing in the ship for it's power source was "Fusion 10 year lifespan."
Now the only power source I know of that can have a ten year fuel supply in it is a Fission reactor.

Fission, Anti-Matter, Liquid Metallic Hydrogen... and all other (real) fuels I know of need to be restocked regularly. Otherwise 90% (or more) of the ship would be fuel bunkerage.

So the question is for the "Fusion 10 year lifespan" reactor, how much fuel does this ship need for what amount of time?
Or is this one of the PB "I'm ignoring reality and it can run for ten years w/o refueling." type item?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Was looking at a few of the last ships posted and came upon something. There was a listing in the ship for it's power source was "Fusion 10 year lifespan."
Now the only power source I know of that can have a ten year fuel supply in it is a Fission reactor.

Fission, Anti-Matter, Liquid Metallic Hydrogen... and all other (real) fuels I know of need to be restocked regularly. Otherwise 90% (or more) of the ship would be fuel bunkerage.

So the question is for the "Fusion 10 year lifespan" reactor, how much fuel does this ship need for what amount of time?
Or is this one of the PB "I'm ignoring reality and it can run for ten years w/o refueling." type item?

The latter.
Assume that most starships in the 3G are going to have 'reactionless drives'...I.E., the reactor powers a traction drive or contra-gravity drive rather than heats reaction mass and accelerates it, so you have a much more efficient conversion of power, you need less fuel because you're not burning it away as reaction mass, and therefore you could possibly have a much smaller and more compact fuel supply aboard. Mind you, there's probably still some small amount of exhaust and heat radiation, but you don't have to carry around a massive bulbous tankage like an Daedalus-class or Enzmann-type starship.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

taalismn wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Was looking at a few of the last ships posted and came upon something. There was a listing in the ship for it's power source was "Fusion 10 year lifespan."

The latter.
Assume that most starships in the 3G are going to have 'reactionless drives'...I.E., the reactor powers a traction drive or contra-gravity drive rather than heats reaction mass and accelerates it, so you have a much more efficient conversion of power, you need less fuel because you're not burning it away as reaction mass, and therefore you could possibly have a much smaller and more compact fuel supply aboard. Mind you, there's probably still some small amount of exhaust and heat radiation, but you don't have to carry around a massive bulbous tankage like an Daedalus-class or Enzmann-type starship.

Even if they are using field drives (I can't think of any but Contra-grav drives and phase drives that are used for their mundane ships.) I can't see how they get away with this multi-years fuel tankerage that does not take up any space.
*shrugs* it just sticks in my craw. %^&*%^%$%^&$%^&%*&^^&* :thwak: :thwak: non-science based sci-fi.

However this is less stupid then calling a race a class.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:[
*shrugs* it just sticks in my craw. %^&*%^%$%^&$%^&%*&^^&* :thwak: :thwak: non-science based sci-fi.

However this is less stupid then calling a race a class.

(shrugs) Most sci-fi really isn't SCIENCE fiction, it's more like Non-magic fantasy. Babylon 5 was, for example, less science fiction and more political thriller.
And yes, I admit, even with field drives, using normal fusion processes as we known them, even high-efficiency ones, most spacecraft should have to lug around more than generous supplies of deuterium 'pellets'.

Maybe it's 10-20 years between total overhaul required of the powerplant.
"Dear Mister Drewkitty, this is to inform you that the 20-cycle warranty on your ExoStar SolarFlair 3000 Astronautical Stellar Fusion Power System will expire in 3.81853 Galactic Standard Day-Work Segments. After this period of time passes, the safe operation of your unit cannot be assured, and warranty expiration may be attended by rapid-deterioration of safety systems on the system, including, but limited to, failure of the plasma containment fields, degeneration of the radiation protection vessel, and catastrophic matter integrity collapse if your FTL drive system is active at the time. Please see your certified ExoStar dealer IMMEDIATELY before warranty nullification for options on extending the operational life of your power unit. "
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Even if they are using field drives (I can't think of any but Contra-grav drives and phase drives that are used for their mundane ships.) I can't see how they get away with this multi-years fuel tankerage that does not take up any space.

Come on, even Rifts Earth power armor run for decades on fission power. :wink:

Seriously, nuclear powerplants (not neccessarily the "common" PWR - ie. pressurized water reactors, more like rad cells) do run for decades IRL - rad cells can run for decades,
before dropping under 80% of nominal output.

This is current tech, not the MDC (ie. probably nanobuilt) materials.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

KLM wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Come on, even Rifts Earth power armor run for decades on fission power. :wink:

Seriously, nuclear power plants (not necessarily the "common" PWR - i.e.. pressurized water reactors, more like rad cells) do run for decades IRL - rad cells can run for decades,
before dropping under 80% of nominal output.

This is current tech, not the MDC (i.e.. probably nano-built) materials.

Adios
KLM

I know that, so that is why fission reactors were excluded from what I was talking about. I was figuring that people were smart and knew about this. So didn't talk about them too specifically or much.

Even Betavoltics (commonly known as nuclear batteries) maintain their power output staedy for most of their lifetime.
taalismn
Priest

"Remember; Mister Atom is your friend as long as he stays inside his snug little containment house and is kept plenty cool. If he gets too hot and his house breaks, he comes out and then he's not so happy and is not going to be your friend!"----Naruni Nuclear Powerplant Service and Operations Manual for Adolescents.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

taalismn wrote:"Remember; Mister Atom is your friend as long as he stays inside his snug little containment house and is kept plenty cool. If he gets too hot and his house breaks, he comes out and then he's not so happy and is not going to be your friend!"----Naruni Nuclear Powerplant Service and Operations Manual for Adolescents.

*GRIN* :demon:

Leaves of the lotus rise

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

"Mr. Myk..."

"Captain Myk, and please, do not try to sell me one of your larger and *shudder* uglier vessels. It was the lines and general elan of the Sunchaser that caught my attention. It is just... it is small... for what I require. All I ask is you econo-size mine. Only two times the scale of what you have showing here. That should not be difficult, no?

"Uh, well -ahem- yes Captain. We here at Paladin Steel Valiant-Station shipyards pride ourselves on being able to cater to any client. How did you say you were going to be paying?"

The humanoid greyhound in polished CAN-republic hardsuit waved his hand. At his signal, the cargo doors of the 'Plug-Ugly', one of his pirate fleet's junk-carriers discorged its contents.
The sales rep's cyber-eyes defocused for a moment as his autonomic system had to re-set. There on the floor of docking bay 6 was kilo to possibly even mega tonnes of Arkon and perhaps even Gorushan (he swore later he saw a nearly intact 'Blood Spear' cockpit assembly) star-ship salvage.

"I believe this will more than suffice. Oh, and I wish for my new vessel to be ready toute-suite; my poor poor Julianne the third was mortally wounded gathering this for you and your employers. Now, let us talk about paint schemes and interior detailing, ne'cest-pas?"

The Julianne MK-IV
http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/PirateBattleShipBoxArt.jpg Note: colour scheme is different than shown :D
Model Type: PS-PSS-LHMP-ADST-25 EX (Modified & expanded) SunChaser Class: Aerospace Light Destroyer / Strike ship
Crew: 8(however, can be run effectively for short periods/or with extensive automation with a skeleton crew of two). 20 additonal passengers can be accomodated.
M.D.C. By Location:
*Bridge – 1,800
Wings (2) – 1,000 each
Lower-Aft Launch-Bay Cradle (1) - 800
Lower Cargo Bay Lift – 800
Outer Crew Air-locks (3) – 200 each
*Bow Sponsons & Sensors(2) – 800 each
Bow X-Ray Laser cannon - 600
Heavy Weapon Dorsal Turrets (5) - 250 each
**LRM Launchers (2; either side of bridge in upper wings) - 500 each
Light Weapon Turrets (11) - 150 each
Wing-Tip Point Defense Lasers (4) 100 each
Variable Shields (6 facings: recharges 5% of total per melee) – 3,000 per facing; 18,000 total.
Outer Hull 20ft. section – 150
Main Gravity-Compression Plasma Engines (3) – 1,400 each
#Particle Impulse Drives (2; 1 per wing) - 1,500 each.
##Main Body – 7,200
Notes:
Airlocks; The SunChaser has four main airlocks/access points; two lateral airlocks with extending pressurized docking tunnels and universal docking collars, a bottom main access/airlock lift(used when landed), and a large cargo lift forward of the ground personnel lift.
* Destruction of the bridge or sensor sponsons will reduce sensors and combat bonuses by half. Destruction of both results in blackout.
** These systems are normally concealed and are - 3 to hit on a called shot, and the outer armour must be destroyed first.
# Destruction of the one engine will reduce FTL Speed by 50%. Destruction of both will eliminate FTL capabilities.
## Destroying the main body will render the vessel a drifting hulk with no life support or power. If the ship is reduced to -2,000 MDC it explodes doing 1D6X1,000 MD to anything in a 1.6 km radius.
Speed:
Flying: Inatmo; Mach 4 (can SCRAM-Jet to Mach 8.7). Exatmo; Mach 8.02 (9525.6 kph /5919.1 mph²) combat speed & 1.1%C sublight acceleration / deceleration per 15 seconds linear travel up to 50%C “safe” velocity.
FTL: 0.25LY/hr. on Grav-Plasma compression alone, 2.5LY/hr using CG boosted Particle Impulse drive.
Range: 8 months with full crew, using recyclers and hydroponics. 80 days on just atmospheric recycling systems and ships stores.
Statistical Data:
Height: (at highest point): 36.5 meters / 120ft.; 24.4 metres / 80ft. Length: 152 meters / 500ft.
Width: (At widest point): 45 meters / 150ft. Wing Span is 70% of length
Weight: 7,200 tonnes with 400 tonnes cargo & 200 tonnes fighter / shuttlebay. Additional heavy cargo pods (50tns. & 250 MDC each) mounted under each wing.
Cargo: Cargo Lvl. is 20 ft. tall, 80 ft. wide and 200 feet long.
Drive Type(s): Primary; 3 variable thrust hybrid gravitic-fusor drive units with dedicated reactor system (combines plasma & CG drive tech).
2 Twin Particle Impulse Drives rated @ factor 250 with CG-FTL boosters mounted mid-wing. Also antigravitic repulsor coil assisted for planetary landings, lift-offs and Inatmo manoeuvring.
Power System: Nuclear Fusion w/ 50 year energy life
Market Cost: Approximately 400 million tri-gal credits (minus auxiliary vehicles).
Weapon Systems
1) X-Ray Laser Cannon (1): Placed between the forward sensor clusters of the Julianne-IV is a wide-bore anti-ship X-Ray laser. This fearsome weapon does not use nuclear explosions to generate the laser pulse, instead it utilizes an electromagnetic undulator to excite copper molecules in a gaseous medium to generate the X-rays. Due to power and heat concerns this weapon is slow firing but extremely devestating. Even the Arkons’ vaunted ceremetal tm. armour is vulnerable to the energies unleashed.
Mega-Damage: 3D6X100 per shot. R.O.F.: 2 shots per melee. Range: 290km (180 miles) Exatmo, 14.5km (9 miles) Inatmo.
Payload: Effectively unlimited. Capitol Ship scale: -10 to strike small targets. Note: Full damage to laser reflective & ablative plating.

2) Heavy Twin-Barrel Particle Beam Turrets (3; 1 forward firing, 2 aft): 3 heavy turrets are mounted dorsally, 1 above and behind the bridge and 2 pointed aft just before the primary engines. All 3 turrets are on articulated mounts with 180° rotation & 45° elevation. Mega-Damage: 1D4X100 per single blast, or 2D4X100 both barrels. R.O.F.: as per gunners attacks per melee.
Range: 129km (80 miles) Exatmo, 6.4km (4 miles) Inatmo. Payload: Effectively unlimmited.
Heavy scale: -5 to strike small targets.

3) Heavy Twin-Barrel Railgun Turrets (2; either side of spine): 2 heavy turrets are mounted dorsally either side of the spine behind the bridge section on their sides (see illustration). Both turrets are on articulated mounts with 180° rotation & 45° elevation and are able to fire both forward and to the stern. Mega-Damage: 3D4X10 per single shot, or 6D4X10 both barrels. R.O.F.: as per gunners attacks per melee. Range: 322km (200 miles) Exatmo, 3.2km (2 miles) Inatmo. Payload: 200 slugs per gun. Heavy scale: -5 to strike small targets.

4) Pop-Up LRM / Torpedo Launchers (2; ventral wings): Concealed 5-shot LRM pods that feed from an internal magazine. Typically these launchers are loaded with plasma or proton warheads, though on occasion Type-II nuclear smart missiles are deployed.
Mega-Damage: As per LRM / Torpedo type.
R.O.F.: Individually or in volleys of one to all five. Each volley counts as 1 gunners action. Once 5 warheads have been launched, it takes 3 actions (1/2 a melee) for the auto-loading system to reload another 5 from the magazine.
Range: as per warhead type. Payload: 20 per launch system (total of 40). Can not be reloaded from inside the ship, and either requires dry-dock, fleet-tender or an EVA pod to reload the magazinez in a “muzzle loading” operation. A full rack of five missiles will take anywhere from 1 minute in dry dock, to a minute per missile manually loading during EVA manoeuvres.

5) Light Twin-Barrel Pulse-Laser Turrets (10): These twin pulse-laser turrets are placed in the bow (6) & starboard and port wings (4; 2 upper, 2 lower) to protect from enemy fighters. The turrets may be manually operated or set to auto-fire.
Mega-Damage: 8D6 per twin shot, 4D4X10 both pulse-firing. R.O.F.: 1 per gunners action or 3 attacks automated. Twin single shots & twin pulse bursts count as 1 attack regardless. Range: 32.2km (20 miles) Exatmo, 3.2km (2 miles) Inatmo. Payload: Effectively unlimited. Light Ship scale: No penalties. Note: The rotating turrets give a +1 to strike (plus any WP, weapon system lock-ons and sensor bonuses). If set for auto-fire, the guns are +4 to strike (+6 if lock on has been achieved).

6) Tachyon Scattergun Turret: This dual gun turret is mounted dorsal-bow, used to satturate large swathes of space & sky. The tachyon scatterguns are the primary anti-aircraft / missile / debris weapon of choice.
Mega-Damage: 2D4X10 per barrel (X2 if both discharge). R.O.F.: 2 shots per barrel (4 single shots). Range: 96.6km (60 miles) Exatmo with a 4.8km (3 mile) wide arc, 9.6km (6 miles) Inatmo with ¼ the arc spread. Payload: Unlimited. Light Ship scale: No penalties. Note: The rotating turrets give a +1 to strike (plus any WP, weapon system lock-ons and sensor bonuses). If set for auto-fire, the guns are +4 to strike (+6 if lock on has been achieved).

7) Dual Point Defense Laser Turrets (4; 2 per wing tip): Very basic automated defense laser turrets which are used equally for anti-missile and anti-personnel ground sweeping. Typically set by pilot or co-pilot to automatic targeting and fire protocols.
Mega-Damage: 6D6 per twin shot. R.O.F.: 3 attacks automated. Range: 16.1km (10 miles) Exatmo, 1.6km (1 mile) Inatmo. Payload: Effectively unlimited. Light Ship scale: No penalties. Note: Auto-fire, the guns are +4 to strike (+6 with lock on).

Defensive Systems
ECM Suite; on a successful 'electronic warfare' skill roll, the ship becomes +4 to dodge all incoming attacks, and all homing missiles are +6 to dodge. Also a cloaking field is installed able to mask almost all energy, radar, and visual signs. Enemy sensor rolls are at -95% at all ranges, and attacks are at -5 to strike. However, the Julianne may not fire any weapons, or utilize its shields with the cloaking field up. Effective oustide a 305m (1000ft.) radius.
Magnetic Shields & Laser reflective: Ion & Particle beam weapons only inflict 50% damage when this system is active, as well as having a 30% of disrupting missiles targeting computers (ineffective against LRM's & Cap-ship missiles) including ones fired from the protected ship. Also, laser based weapons only inflict ½ damage. Variable frequency lasers take 1D4 successful strikes to counteract the resistance.

Sensors
Advanced & Military Sensors; Track and identify up to 1,000 objects in a 125,000 mile range (200,000km), and combat tracking is 10,000 miles (16,000km); ½ range Inatmo. Objects as small as a golf ball can be seen at a distance of 300 miles Inatmo, or 26,000 miles in space (41,600km). Communications range is 200,000 miles (32,000km) in space.
Optical Tracking Clusters; These are transparent blisters fitted with gimbal-mounted high-resolution visible-light/IR/UV optical telescopes that continually scan the arc of sky before them. Linked to the navigational arrays and other tracking sensors, and to a series of highly-sophisticated near-AI search and discrimination software systems, these sensors attempt to detect objects that have low radar returns/sensor signatures, such as stealthed vehicles, iceballs, or asteroids. The high-tech equivalent of the man in the crow’s nest with a pair of binoculars.
Gravity-wakes from FTL transit can be detected out to 10 LY distance. All sensor skill rolls are at +5%.
Satellite Up-link Computer; Used for sending and receiving information from civilian and military satellites.
Super-navigation Computer & Auto-pilot; 50% skill for FTL and Sublight navigation, and 50% skill for piloting (basic manuvers).

Other Systems
Artificial Gravity; Provides standard 1g environment within the ship.
Crew Quarters; Each crew member (8) has their own private room with; bed, closet, computer & entertainment unit and private bathroom. An additional 20 crew / passengers are accommodated comfortably using bunk-beds in dorm room style quarters.
Type 2 Recycling system (Atmosphere & Soilds); Can continuously provide recycled, breathable air for 80 days for the crew plus passengers. Water & waste products can also be recycled. Hydroponics extend viable travel times to 8 months.
Trans-Atmospheric Capabilities; Design elements allow the Julianne to enter and leave planetary atmospheres. Thermal shielding takes only ½ damage from plasma and heat based weapons. See later for bonuses.
Hull Breach Auto-Repair; Triple redundancy system, prevents catastrophic loss of atmosphere from hull breaches.
Spacecraft Manufactory Facility; Dedicated workshop area which can be used to effect repairs on the ship, or other technical tasks. Equal to the Robotics Laboratory Kit (AU:GG Pg. 141), and carries enough onboard stores for 150% of the ships total MDC in raw material.
External Cargo Docks; 2 external docking systems are installed on the Juilanne; one under each wing.
FCE Life-boat (1); See "AU; Galaxy Guide" Pg. 181 for details. The entire bridge can eject as an FTL lifeboat. FTL = 0.01LY/hr.
FTL Life-boats (4); See "AU; Galaxy Guide" Pg. 181 for details. FTL = 0.01LY/hr.
Self Destruct; To prevent capture of sensitive intelligence, prevention of ship theft, or as a last ditch retributive attack.

Attack Craft
Up to a 200 tonne fighter and / or shuttle may be carried by the Jullianne. Other vehicles may be carried in the ventral (belly) cargo bay and / or within the two exterior cargo pods.

Bonuses
+2 Initiative, +3 to dodge Exatmo & Inatmo, +2 to strike with all weapons and +15% to combat piloting rolls and +10% to weapon systems lock-ons.

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

We don't think of them as 'uglier' :( , we think of them as honestly functional :bandit: ...

Other than that,,,,,yes, that will do quite nicely, thank you. :ok:

I shall now inventory what alien tech we now have to play with... 8)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

By the way, DhAkael , in case I find the time to do a pic(combination of the Crusher Joe design and the Sunchaser) of this custom ship design: what color scheme? :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

taalismn wrote:By the way, DhAkael , in case I find the time to do a pic(combination of the Crusher Joe design and the Sunchaser) of this custom ship design: what color scheme?

Dark red of course :demon:
"Black is, how do they say? De'Classe."
~Captain D. Myk

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:
taalismn wrote:By the way, DhAkael , in case I find the time to do a pic(combination of the Crusher Joe design and the Sunchaser) of this custom ship design: what color scheme?

Dark red of course :demon:
"Black is, how do they say? De'Classe."
~Captain D. Myk

Got it...bloodsoaked and still fresh... :twisted:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

"The best way to win a battle is to not have to fire a single shot... make your opponent fear you so much they will willingly submit. It was unfortuante that the bald-kittens removed their fear-hormone glands in their warriors...unfortunate for them"
~ Captain D. Myk at the battle of Deimos P.A. 107 (aboard the Julianne III); Combined orbital militia Vs. the Arkon 5th. armada.

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:"The best way to win a battle is to not have to fire a single shot... make your opponent fear you so much they will willingly submit. It was unfortuante that the bald-kittens removed their fear-hormone glands in their warriors...unfortunate for them"
~ Captain D. Myk at the battle of Deimos P.A. 107 (aboard the Julianne III); Combined orbital militia Vs. the Arkon 5th. armada.

"Fear not the cannon-fodder that walks into your guns. Fear the ones who retreat, for they may be the smart ones who learn from mistakes."
-Colonel Fhag Yazann, Greater New England Regular Army, correctly anticipating guerilla warfare after the shattering of Warlord Dieter-Smith's 'Invincibles' at the Battle of Col's Gate.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
sagajr
Wanderer

Unread post by sagajr »

Greetings!

My 20th ship is finished at last. :)

Karokh class Scout Ship

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/6930728906/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/7169925454/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/6930729504/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/7170071616/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/6930729808/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/7170655638/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/6930729102/in/photostream

This nimble, experimental, long range scout and scientific vessel is a new addition to the market. Designed as a dedicated exploration ship, these crafts are well equipped for their job which utilize many uncommon and new features and devices. Its designers (the ship is the result of a cooperation between several smaller companies and the Hartigal Combine who sees this ship as an exploitable potential) try to impress their prospective clients by building many different ship roles and unusual solutions into this vessel. Its more comfortable than an average luxury yacht, it was designed for long range missions (which is appear in its onboard hydroponic gardens, high quality recycling systems, extensive fabrication facilities, raw material storages), usable as a first contact vessel, carries superior quality laboratories and carries sufficient amount of medical supplies to act as a traveling hospital. While the Kharok is not a warship this ship has a sufficiently strong armament to defend itself . If this proves to be insufficient, the Karokh can simply get away from the dangerous situation at higher speed than any other mass marketed ship.

All Karokh class ships are equipped with above average quality, civilian grade contra-gravity engines, good quality maneouvering system and a very fast FTL drive. The mobility, which granted by these systems, could prove life saver in dangerous situations, facilitate the exploration and scout works. Thanks to the semi-streamlined design, Karokhs has good atmospheric performance, able to land on planet's surface or even submerge into water and travel in underwater environment.

Ship's sensors are superior quality, state of the art pieces which are able to detect any disturbances or enemy movements from very long range. Short range communication suite is top of the range (its performance surpasses even the military grade output of equipment). However, its long range communication uses an older contra-gravity field system which is cheaper, but slower and shorter ranged than the newer, widely used tachion transmitting array.

This class seems a little weak in terms of resistance especially if we compare it to similar sized military crafts. However, if we compare this design to other civilian ships, it will be more than adequate. To survive a combat, this ship relies more on its mobility and strong, fast charging shields than the average quality armor plates. While its armor plates only average quality, its frame is more durable and withstand higher pressure than most other ships (depth tolerance is 25,000 feet). The landing gears use an experimental solution. Every landing gears contains a small and strong contra-gravity generator, along with micro reactors which lower the surface pressure and allow the ship to land on instable or loose ground without fear of submergence or damage.

Every Kharok is equipped with two shield generators which work in tandem. One generator provides the strength of the shield, while the other focuses on the shield recharge rate and increases that high above the galactic average. The shield system recharges at exceptional rate and regains its full strength within half minute even after the loss of the whole shield power. However, this comes at a price of need for extensive maintenance. These shields need about two hours of maintenance every day, while an average shield system needs the same amount of maintenance work per week! To cover the high demand for the spare parts and tools the designers built extensive fabrication facilities into the ship and recommended the use of above average numbers of mechanics or repair robots.

It has no single power plant, the power requirements are supplied by two small anti-matter plants instead. Unlike other ship reactors which usually loaded with large amount of reaction mass, the Karokh carries only a fraction of that amount and gather its own fuel from various sources during its travels (cost-cutting and space-saving solution). To achieve this, the ship is equipped with multiple gathering, processing and refining devices. The lifespan of the reactor (operation time before need a total overhaul and dry dock repairs and recalibration) is 75 years, but just a year's supply of fuel carried onboard in special, sealed containers. Over the reactors, the ship is equipped with a large amount of battery which provides additional energy or runs the ship in case of emergency.

Its armament seems strong for a civilian ship, but in remote and unmapped areas of the multiverse unknown dangers lurk for brave travellers and scouts. The ship is equipped with three laser beam emitters, two strong towing beam emitters and a torpedo/probe launcher.
These emitters are a special form of the HI laser weapon system which incorporates multiple weapons in a single platform. On one hand, this frees internal space (compact design), makes the weapon easier to control (any and all guns can be controlled from a single console), consumes less energy, reduces the required number of the gunners, on the other hand all these advantages have their own drawbacks. Unlike the scattered placements, like separate turrets, which are rarely equipped more than one or two weapon systems, these emitters combine more than 10 weapons into a single frame. If an enemy attack knocks out an emitter, the ship could lose significant part of its firepower. The reinforced structure of the emitters somewhat reduces this risk, but cannot eliminate it. This was the main reason behind the fact that these weapons have not gained more popularity in the various navies.
From outside these emitters look like big crystals which are placed on the hull without any purpose for the uninitiated observer, but nothing can be further from the truth. Each one of these crystalline appearance weapons carries multiple separate focusing mechanisms which are able to guide the destructive energy through various small focusing crystals to bring destruction to the enemy.
Every beam emitter is a combination of 13 separate laser weapon systems. Each one of these emitters has 8 low strength, automated laser beams which are controlled by separate gunnery programs, has 4 light beams and a single heavy beam. While the point defense system is always ready to engage any incoming threat, the controller/gunner must choose between the two other attack modes at the start of each melee turn. If one is selected (the single heavy beam or the 4 separate light beams), the other can not be used for the rest of the turn.

The towing beams serve two main purposes. On one hand, these devices are able to pull any solid, heavy object closer to the ship to examine and collect samples, on the other hand, these „guns” can be used to push large and heavy debrises or other objects away from the ship. This device can be recalibrated to work in different modes. In the third mode, the towing beam emmiters are able to fool long range gravitic sensors and send false data from the ship mass (the towing beam's gunner can decide to increase or decrease this ship's total mass value – the ship actual mass do not change, this is only a sensor fooling process – by 50% and any sensors which is able to detect the ship will gain this modified, false data).

The ship's last weapon system is a combined torpedo/sensor probe launcher. This special weapon system is able to launch torpedoes and long range probes at the same time. The launcher carries two types of ordnance (anti-matter and cluster torpedoes) along with numerous long range scout probes. Each anti-matter torpedo is equipped with a light anti-matter warhead, while the cluster torpedoes carry 12, self-guided medium range missiles (the torpedo releases the missiles at a pre-programmed range or in close proximity of an enemy craft then the self guided missiles attack the closest or the designated – gather targeting data from the Karokh – enemy). Every long range probe is equipped with standard sensors, sub-light communication devices, various detectors, scanners, a self-destruct mechanism and enough batteries to maintain operation for 1 month. These probes are usually used in scouting, exploration and data gathering roles.

Ship's hangar bay is small, not designed for military crafts, but it can serve as a base for smaller military crafts. It has enough space to carry four utility shuttles, 12 EVA pods and 10 power armors. Two of these shuttles are extended range utility shuttles (15 ton shuttlecraft, 40 feet long, 25 feet wide and 13 feet high, 750 M.D.C., 1,000 M.D.C. basic force field, 10 Mach speed in space, 3 Mach speed in an atmosphere, 1 pilot, 16 passengers, 5 tons/750 cubic feet cargo capacity, a single pulse laser as defense weapon with 3 miles range and 2D4x10+10 M.D. damage; standard sensors and communication systems, ECM, very slow – 1 AU per sec – FTL drive and a 1 year lifespan fusion reactor), while the other two are equipped with strong armament (24 medium range missiles, 2 pulse lasers with 6D6x10 M.D. combined damage and 8 miles range in space), stronger shields (1,500 M.D.C. variable), higher speed (12 Mach in space, 4 Mach in an atmosphere), but its passenger capacity is limited to 12 people and its cargo capacity is 2.5 tons (in a 375 cubic feet area). The combat variants serve as escort and attack vessels. The designers placed workshops on each side of the main hangar where the ship mechanics crew can repair and reload the carried crafts. A mini towing beam is placed on the front wall (under the flight control room) to help moving the small crafts, gently pulls in damaged vessel or pushes out intruders.

The large cargo hold, which is reachable from the hangar bay, is placed under the ship's hangar. It is equipped with refrigerated smaller holds, elevators and multiple cargo handling machinery. Total capacity is 6,000 tons and its volume is 250,000 cubic feet.

The ship's command section is placed deep within the interior of the ship. One of the two bridges is placed into the wider, back half of the ship, on the third deck. The other bridge is located in the long, front half of the ship and it is placed on the fifth deck. Neither one has any observation windows, instead these command modules use the many sensors and cameras, which are scattered on and around the exterior of the ship, to be informed of the outer events. The control center of the security detachment is located on the lowest, seventh deck (another small station is located near the secondary bridge on the third deck) from where they monitor the whole interior, manage the internal force fields, robots and the anti-intruder systems (various, retractable light weapons are placed on every corridor and can be remotely controlled from the bridges or the security station).

Accomodation and facilities, corridors and maintenance tunnels are comfortable even for large sized races (up to 9 feet high). Most of the crew members are accommodated in oversized staterooms (each crew member has its own stateroom, while the security force use team staterooms which are same sized as the single ones, but furnished and equipped for 4 people). Each stateroom is about 60% larger than the average stateroom, which means 1,000 square feet floor space with 11 feet height, each has multiple rooms with fully equipped bathroom, large living room, a roomy bedroom, large storage area, multiple consoles, various furniture and leisure equipments.
These scout ships also have a fully staffed medical center (able to treat 10 inpatient or severly injured people) which includes operating rooms and enough high-tech medical equipment to cure a small city from any known epidemic or treat several hundred disaster survivors.

The ship's seven decked interior is equipped with multiple recreation rooms (gym, holo-theatre, game rooms, park), multiple galleys, workshops and raw material storages along with production facilities. Briefing/conference rooms, two security stations with small capacity brig, two high capacity laundries, observation rooms, a large onboard garden, automated hydroponic gardens and food production facilities (rarely need resupply as these facilities produce and recycle air, water and food for the crew), four fully equipped, state of the art laboratories for various scientific researches.

As a newcomer in the ship market, these ships are expensive and difficult to obtain (currently only available in the Anvil Galaxy and on Phase World at the Hartigal Combine's ship market). At this moment, only sixty ships were finished (40 already sold to exploration corps and expeditions), 3 more created in each month (this can be doubled or even tripled if enough orders coming). However, due to the continous advertising campaign of the Hartigal Combine, the number of the potential buyers is growing every week as well as the demand and orders for the ship.

Model Type: K-SC
Vehicle Type: Heavy Scout/Science Vessel
Crew: 48, including officers and scientists, plus an additional 24 robots (serve in various utility/support and scientific tasks). All ship systems could be run by 10 people without problem; the full crew complement is designed to have enough people to handle four work shifts. In an emergency, the ship can be run entirely by the bridge crew (5 personnel), but attacks per melee and bonuses for all weapon systems are halved and other problems and breakdowns occur.
Troop Capacity: The ship is equipped to handle a small security force of 16 troops with 16 security robots.
Passengers: 10 additional passengers.

M.D.C. by location
Observation Deck – 1,500
Engines (4) – 1,250 each
Hangar – 3,000
Hangar Door – 1,500
*Outer Hull (100 square feet) – 400
Interior bulkheads (100 square feet) – 80
Reinforced Airlocks (4) – 500 each
Communication system and FTL communication system– 1,500
Sensor domes (6) – 600 each
Landing Gears (6) – 500 each
Beam Emitters (3) – 1,750 each
Towing Beam Emitters (2) – 500 each
Long Range Probe and Light Torpedo Launcher – 800
[1]Main Body – 16,000
[2]Variable Shield – 24,000 total (4,000 per side)

Notes:
[1] Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body means the ship is knocked out of service and in tatters. Life support is on auxiliary power, all major systems are out and the ship is adrift, unable to fight or move under its own power. However, the missile launchers each have their own power supply and can still continue to fire. The ship itself will be a floating wreck.
[2] Shield regenerates 50% per melee (12,000 M.D.C. total per melee total).
*Punching holes in the hull will cause the damage control system to automatically seal off whatever compartment has been exposed to vacuum.

Speed:
Driving on the Ground: Not Possible.
Sublight: Maximum speed is 8.5 Mach
FTL propulsion: Contra-gravity Drive with 6 ligh-years per hour maximum speed.
Atmospheric Propulsion: Mach 2 (1,483 mph / 2,372.8 kph) using CG drive. 100 Mph (160 kmh) in an underwater environment up to 25,000 feet deep.
Maximum Range: The fresh supplies (food, water and air) enough for 1 year for the crew and the passengers (74 people) but the onboard facilities are able to recycle and produce additional food, water and air (ie maintain its crew and passengers) as long as there is sufficient energy.

Statistical Data:
Length: 535 feet (163.2 meters).
Height: 86 feet (26.2 meters), 95 feet (29 meters) with extended landing gears.
Width: 276 feet (84.2 meters).
Weight: 56,000 metric tons with fully loaded cargo hold
Power System: Two Anti-Matter reactors with 75 year life span.
Cargo: 6,000 tons, 250,000 cubic feet (about 7,000 cubic meters).
Market Cost: 2 billion credits. This price will decrease over time as the number of sales increase. After the first 250 ships, the market cost will be 1.8 billion and after the 500th sold ship the market cost lowered to 1.6 billion.

Weapon Systems:
Beam Emitters (3):
Every beam emitter is a combination of 13 separate laser weapon systems. Each one of these emitters have 8 low strength, automated laser beams which are controlled by separate gunnery programs, have 4 light beams and a single heavy beam. While the point defense system is always ready to engage any incoming threat, the controller/gunner must choose between the two other attack modes at the start of each melee turn. If one is selected (the single heavy beam or the 4 separate light beams), the other can not be used for the rest of the turn. Both the heavy and the light beams can be controlled by separate gunners or gunnery programs, but most of the time only a single gunner monitor and command every emitter, who often hand down the control to the gunnery programs.
Each beam is able to track and hit targets in 360/180 arc of fire. Each emitter is controlled by a separate gunner or the gunnery programs.
Range: 30 miles (48 km) in space (half in atmosphere)for the heavy beam, 15 miles (24 km) in space (half in atmosphere) for the light beams and only 2 miles (3.2 km) in space (half in atmosphere) for the point defense beams.
Mega Damage: 3D6x100 M.D. by each heavy beam per emitter or 4D6x10 M.D. by each light beam or 3D6+2 M.D. per point defense beam.
Rate of Fire: Six times per melee for each one of the light and point defense beams. Up to three times per melee for the heavy beam.
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
Bonuses: +1 to Strike when controlled by dedicated gunner, +4 to Strike and +2 to Initiative and up to six attacks per melee when controlled by gunnery programs.

Long Range Probe and Light Torpedo Launcher:
Special weapon system which is able to launch heavy missiles and long range probes at the same time. The launcher carry two types of ordnance (anti-matter and cluster torpedoes) along with numerous long range scout probes. Each anti-matter torpedo is equipped with a light anti-matter warhead, while the cluster torpedoes carry 12, self-guided medium range missiles (the torpedo release the missiles at a pre-programmed range or in close proximity of an enemy craft). The long range probes are equipped with standard sensors, sub-light communication devices, various detectors, scanners, a self-destruct mechanism and enough batteries to maintain operation for 1 month. The launcher normally controlled by the dedicated gunner or controlled from the bridge via remote control.
Range: 1,250 miles for the torpedoes (double in space), 20,000 miles for the probes (double in space)
Mega-Damage: 3D6x100 M.D. to everything in a 75 feet radius for the anti-matter torpedo; 1D4x10 M.D. (no blast radius) for the cluster torpedo (which is nothing more than a carrier system for multiple medium range missiles) and the probe if it hit something.
Rate of Fire: Can fire one torpedo at a time or volleys of 2, 4, 6 or 8 torpedoes per launcher or up to four probes.
Payload: 12 torpedoes (4 anti-matter and 8 cluster variants) loaded into the launcher along with 4 long range probes. Another 80 torpedoes (24 anti-matter and 56 cluster variants) and 36 probes stored for the launcher, but reloading takes 1D4 melee turns (up to 1 minute).

Towing Beam Emitters (2):
Mounted on the front and the back side of the ship, these special contra-gravity beams designed to bring closer target object to the ship or push away space debris from the front of the ship. Not an actual weapon, just a modified contra-gravity generator which able to focus its power to catch, hold and move (slow down or speed up) other objects within its range. Powerful enough to pull or push any objects up to 2,500 tons or hold them still. Able to slow down incoming objects by 2 Mach per melee or speeds up an object to 5 Mach speed (in space, 1 Mach in atmosphere) within 30 seconds. A third, smaller towing beam placed into the hangar bay which has lower strength (pull or push capacity is limited to 50 tons) and has very limited range range (200 feet/61 meters). Perfect for cargo handling, moving damaged crafts or repell/push out invaders.
Range: 20 miles (32 km) in space, 5 miles (8 km) in atmosphere.
Mega-Damage: None.
Rate of Fire: Up to twice per melee each.
Payload: Effectively unlimited.

Noteable systems:
Sensory System – Extended range sensory system with 750,000 miles (1,200,000 km) range and 7.5 light-years FTL detection. +25% bonus to sensory skill rolls, resistant against jamming attacks (lower the attacker Electronic Countermeasures skill by 15%) and able to track and identify up to 200 objects at the same time.
Communication System – Superior system with 400,000 miles (640,000 km) range. Contra-gravity field communicaton system (with 100 light-years range) installed on the ship.
ECM system – A combination of sensor jamming devices, radio-pulse flares and old-fashioned chaff dispensers. When active, these systems impose a -20% penalty to anyone trying to target the protected vessel using the Weapon Systems skill, and cause missiles to lose any targeting bonus (only affect smart missiles, no effect against dumb fire variants and rockets). The attacker (gunners and smart missiles) are -3 to Strike the target protected by ECM systems.
ECCM system – Lowers the negative modifier caused by an enemy ECM system by 15% and lowers the negative Strike modifier to -2 instead of the standard -3 caused by an enemy ECM attack.
Hardened systems – The ship electronic systems are reinforced against jamming type attacks. Lower the attacker Electronic Countermeasures skill by 20% (cumulative with the sensory system resistance).
Jamming Set – The jamming set can focus its emissions to overload enemy sensors and controlling systems. This gives the ship an electronic attack capability and requires Electronic Countermeasures skill roll. A successful roll suppresses enemy sensors for 3D4 rounds (45 to 180 seconds). While suppressed, the enemy gunners attack precision and attack rate lowered (-3 to Strike, loses one attack), the pilots response time increased and their ship controlling skills are weakened temporary (loses one attack, -10% to all piloting skill rolls and -3 to Dodge rolls) due to electronic system disturbances. The jamming set has a range of 5,000 miles (8,000 km) and able to jam up to 40 targets at a time (need to roll separately for all).
Communication Jamming System – The communication jamming system is designed for scrambling enemy communications (-60% to any communication skill based rolls for the enemy/foreign ships, failed communication roll means canceled video communication and even the audio messages are hard to understand). Scrambles all foreign communications within 5,000 miles (8,000 km) range.
Stealth Coating – Modified civilian grade stealth coating(-50% to Read Sensors skill when the ship is standing still, and -30% to Read Sensors skill when the ship is moving.). When the ship loose 25% of its maximum M.D.C., the detection difficulty modifiers are lowered to one half. Loosing 50% or more of its M.D.C., means the detection difficulty is lowered to one quarter of its starting value, while loosing more than 75% of the hull M.D.C. makes the stealth coating virtually useless (grants only 1/10th of its basic detection difficulty value).
Damage Control – The onboard facilities, the damage control teams and the repair crew can restore 800 M.D.C. worth of structural damage per day as long as they have enough raw materials and spare parts to perform this job.
Space Matter Scoops – This system is similar to the ramscoops, but collect, refine and manage reaction mass for the reactors. In appropriate environment (like dense nebulas), this system collect enough material per hour to maintain the operation of the reactors for a week.

Carried crafts:
4 squad sized lifepods (stored in the shuttle hangar bay)
4 Utility Shuttles (2 standard, 2 armed) http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N ... hotostream
12 EVA suits
10 Power Armors

Advantages:
Good acceleration (4 Mach/Mps per melee in space, 1 Mach per melee in atmosphere), good maneouvering (+1 to Dodge, +5% to all pilot rolls) both in space and in an atmosphere.
Last edited by sagajr on Sun May 13, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Flickr phostostream with pictures of various ships and deckplans: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/
taalismn
Priest

sagajr wrote:Greetings!

My 20th ship is finished at last. :)

Karokh class Scout Ship .

Happiness. :D
Congrats on an excellent 20yj!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Just to get something else aside from that bloody Wormwoody thread @ the top of the list.
*BUMP*

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

Well, then, do ships have souls? :angel:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

taalismn wrote:Well, then, do ships have souls? :angel:

Yes, yes the do; next silly question :D

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:
taalismn wrote:Well, then, do ships have souls? :angel:

Yes, yes the do; next silly question :D

Do starships go to heaven when they die? :angel:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

they join the black fleet, and get to roam the stars forever.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
sagajr
Wanderer

Unread post by sagajr »

Greetings!

Thorn class Strike Fighter Mark 1. and Mark 2.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/7548822230/in/photostream

These compact small ships earned themselves a special place in the heart of every human pilot as they were the forerunner of the CCW's Black Eagle fighter craft. Thorn was one of the longest serving spacecrafts in the inventory of the Human Alliance and in the CCW fleet. During its long service, this fighter served two great powers in the Three Galaxies. First and foremost in the Human Alliance Navy before the birth of the CCW, then this craft became the CCW's Fleet main strike craft up until its retirement and replacement by the Black Eagle interceptor.

This fighter class was created to be a simple design that is meant to be operated in harsh conditions with little maintenance and designed to be serve as carrier based strike ship. While equally adepts at operating in atmosphere as well as space, the Thorn excels in surface attack roles, especially bombardment type attacks, but it's more than capable to hold its own against other fighters and able to cripple most capital ships with its missile payload. It performed both tasks admirably well so much that the Alliance Navy doesn't even considered to send this rugged design into retirement.

Unlike many other aging strike fighters – which were usually lacked the ability to adapt to different mission roles and only existed to fulfill a too narrow purpose – Thorns were well proved their abilities on their own. In its design, the Thorn epitomized the Human Alliance Admirality's view of an expanded multi-role strike craft which was capable of surviving engagements, carried heavy payload and even some troops while ensure pilot survival and still maintained a high degree of mobility. However, despite all of this, the Thorn class has not been able to postpone its retirement in the CCW fleets by the newer, faster, stronger and stealthy Black Eagle fighters.

Every actively serving Thorn's main armament consists of a pair of extended range plasma cannons. The technology behind these cannons allows the pilot to select fire modes between concentrated shots and the splash mode. In the concentrated mode the cannons do more damage, while in splash mode the charged plasma bolts explode on contact and do lighter area damage (ideal for surface bombardment and for anti-missile roles).

Supplementing its energy weapon system, every fighter carries four heavy and four medium sized, variable payload missile launchers which are built into the hull close to the wings. Every one of the heavier launchers is typically carries a single cruise missile (for anti-ship engagements) or reconfigurable to carry twelve medium range missiles (for anti-fighter roles), while the medium sized launchers can mount a pair of long range missiles or up to four medium range missiles each.

It features a large cockpit which is able to carry up to three additional people on short trip (sometimes act as a miniature emergency rescue vessel or bring soldiers to target zones), a small fresher, a strong force field system (non variable), decent contra-gravity engine, fusion boosters (afterburners) with ample fuel reserves for tactical maneouvering, good quality maneouvering drives, a short life span fusion reactor, standard sensors, a military grade standard, a basic electronic warfare system and medium armor plates.

Despite their capabilities, these small ships do not exist without their own natural enemies. Unless taken out quickly, anti-fighter corvette formations (and similiar ships, like the TGE Rain of Death ships) can chew through their ranks. Newer light and medium fighters can use their better agility to gain tactical advantage over the slower Thorns, while heavier fighters can use their superior firepower and survivability to take advantage of the Thorn's basic force field system and medium armor plates.

After decades of service, the Human Alliance stop the production of the original fighter (while several independent manufacturers still create and sell this realiable ship and their knock offs) and make major changes to enhance the capabilities of this craft. The newer Mark 2 model – which got an FTL drive, scanner and comm system, variable shield system and better maneouvering drives – currently available only to them.

However, the independent manufacturers quickly react the Mark 2 variant and offer their own upgrades to mimic the better performance of the new model. One of these upgrades simply replaces the basic force field with a variable shield system, other ones are enhance electronic system (sensors, comm system and electronic warfare system) or increase the operation time of the reactor or give the ship better agility, while the last publicly available upgrade package incorporate a pricey FTL drive system into the ship. After all these modifications, the early model got all the abilities of the newer ship and will continue to serve for the forseeable future, as it continues to be an effective asset.

Numerous unmodified Mark 1 variants (not counting knock offs) can be found in the hand of the various mercenary gangs, pirates and private individuals, however, the Human Alliace (who prefer this venerable craft over the newer Black Eagles) use only Mark 2 variants (upgraded their old fighters, create and buy only the newer ones).

Model Type: HA-TSF Mk 1. and Mk 2.
Vehicle Type: Multi-role strike fighter
Crew: 1. Up to three additional human sized passengers or two larger ones (wolfen/kreeghor sized). Fully upgraded Mark 1 carry up to 2 additional human sized passengers (the extra systems need more space).

M.D.C. by location:
[1]Cockpit/Escape pod – 200
Engine – 200
Wings (2) – 300 each
[2]Boosters (2) – 100 each
[3]Landing Gears (3) – 25 each
Plasma Cannons (2) – 150 each
Missile launchers (8, 4 heavy and 4 medium) – 50 each
[4]Main Body – 600
[5]Basic Force Field (non variable system, Mark 1 only) – 1,000 M.D.C. total or 1,200 M.D.C. total (200 M.D.C. per side) with variable shield system (Mark 2 variant or Mark 1 with shield system upgrade)

Notes:
[1] Destroying the cockpit will eliminate the main computer and the controls, kills the pilot and passengers, than render the ship helpless.
[2] Destroying one booster lower the maximum speed to 12 Mach when the pilot engage the booster system. Losing both boosters make this system unusable until repaired.
[3] Destroying more than two of the landing gear will make it impossible for the ship to touch down without structural damage.
[4] Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body destroys the propulsion system and causes the escape pod to eject.
[5] The basic force field system regenerate at the rate of 30% (300 M.D.C. total) per melee. The variable shield system regenerate shield power at the rate of 25% (300 M.D.C. total) per melee.

Speed:
Sublight: The ship's maximum speed is 10 Mach without the boosters. The boosters increase the maximum speed to 14 Mach. Able to enter and leave atmosphere without problems.
FTL propulsion: 2 light-years per hour with FTL drive upgrade, none without it.
Atmospheric Propulsion: Maximum speed is 5 Mach, cruising speed is 2 Mach.
Maximum Range: 1 week (even with a single pilot, ship interior not designed for long duration missions).

Statistical Data:
Length: 36 feet (10.8 meters).
Height: 12 feet (3.6 meters) total including extended landing gears, 10 feet (3 meters) for the main body.
Width: 28 feet (8.5 meters)
Weight: 17.5 metric tons
Power System: Fusion with 15 years life span for unmodified Mark 1. Reactor life span of the Mark 2s and upgraded Mark 1s is 25 years.
Cargo: Minimal (about 100 pounds/45 kg). Enough to store a sidearm, five E-clips, basic tools and a survival kit or up to half ton in in the 375 cubic feet volume passenger section when not carry anyone else (30% less capacity for a fully upgraded Mark 1).
Refueling cost of the boosters: 2,500 credits
Market Cost: 35 million credits for the Mark 1 (knock offs with 20% less M.D.C. and shield power, 10% slower engines can be purchased for 25 million credits). Mark 2 is currently not available to anyone else than the Human Alliance Navy (for them this ship cost 50 million credits with all upgrades including FTL drive; 5 million credits less than the Black Eagle FTL variant costs for the CCW, but the Black Eagle FTL variant still costs 75 million credits to private individuals and other governments or corporations).
Upgrades Cost for the Mark 1:
Enhanced reactor lifetime cost 1 million credits (increase reactor life span to 25 years).
Better electronics system cost 4 million credits (extended range the sensory and communication system and contains a basic ECCM system).
Variable shield system cost an additional 7.5 million credits (including a higher energy output reactor).
Enhanced maneouvering system cost 1 million credits.
Stealth coating cost 1.5 million credits (provide the military grade stealth bonuses).
FTL drive system cost 15 million credits (including a reactor amplification, but reduce the passenger bay capacity to 2 people and its size by 30%).

Weapon Systems:
Plasma Cannons (2):
One cannon is mounted on each wing. These extended range, heavy plasma cannons are designed to act as primary frontal firing armament effective against most targets in concentrated mode and as an energy bombardment weapon – to scorch vehicle and infantry formations – in splash mode. Both cannons are equipped with combat computer and provide +1 to Strike modifier to the main gunner.
Range: 8 miles (12.8 km) in space and 4 miles (6.4 km) in an atmosphere.
Mega Damage: 3D6x10 M.D. per cannon in concentrated mode. In spalsh mode the cannon do 2D4x10 M.D. damage to everything in a 25 feet radius around the impact point.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the total number of hand to hand attacks of the gunner (limited to 12 attacks per melee).
Payload: Effectively unlimited.

Heavy Missile Launchers (4):
Located on the base of each wing on the upper and lower side, these launchers are the carrier of the fighter's variable missile armament. Each one of the heavy launchers can be equipped with a single cruise missile, or can be rearmed to carry twelve medium range missiles.
Range: As per missiles.
Mega-Damage: varies with missile type.
Rate of Fire: Can fire one missile at a time or volleys of 2 or 4 missiles (per launcher).
Payload: 1 cruise missile or 12 medium range missiles per launcher.

Missile Launchers (4):
Located above and below the heavy missile launchers, these missile carrier system usually carry the lighter anti-ship payload or serve as the main anti-fighter missile system on the ship. Each one of these launcher contains two long range missiles, but can be rearmed to carry four medium range missiles.
Rate of Fire: Can fire one missile at a time or volleys of 2 missiles (per launcher).
Payload: 2 long range missiles or 4 medium range missiles per launcher.

Notable systems:
Sensory System – Mark 1: Standard range sensory system with 300,000 miles (480,000 km) range, no FTL detection. +10% bonus to sensory skill rolls, resistant against jamming attacks (lower the attacker Electronic Countermeasures skill by 20%; hardened system's bonus already included) and able to track and identify up to 100 objects at the same time.
Mark 2 and Mark 1 with electronics upgrade: Extended range sensory system with 350,000 miles (560,000 km) range, 2 light-years FTL detection range. +10% bonus to sensory skill rolls, resistant against jamming attacks (lower the attacker Electronic Countermeasures skill by 20%; hardened system's bonus already included) and able to track and identify up to 100 objects at the same time.
Communication System
Mark 1: Standard system with 300,000 miles (480,000 km) range. No FTL comm system, only a reciever installed.
Mark 2 and Mark 1 with electronics upgrades: Military system with 350,000 miles (560,000 km) range real time communication. Slow, limited range FTL communication system with 25 light-years range and 25 light-years per hour communication speed.
ECM system (both types) – A combination of sensor jamming devices, radio-pulse flares and old-fashioned chaff dispensers. When active, these systems impose a -20% penalty to anyone trying to target the protected vessel using the Weapon Systems skill, and cause missiles to lose any targeting bonus (only affect smart missiles, no effect against dumb fire variants and rockets). The attacker (gunners and smart missiles) are -3 to Strike the target protected by ECM systems.
Hardened systems (both types) – The ship electronic systems are reinforced against jamming type attacks. Lower the attacker Electronic Countermeasures skill by 10%.
ECCM system (Mark 2 and Mark 1 with electronics upgrade) – Lowers the negative modifier caused by an enemy ECM system by 10% and lowers the negative Strike modifier to -2 instead of the standard -3 caused by an enemy ECM attack.
Stealth Coating (Mark 2 and Mark 1 with stealth coating upgrade) – Military grade stealth coating (-60% to Read Sensors skill when the ship is standing still, and -30% to Read Sensors skill when the ship is moving.). When the ship loose 25% of its maximum M.D.C., the detection difficulty modifiers are lowered to one half. Loosing 50% or more of its M.D.C., means the detection difficulty is lowered to one quarter of its starting value, while loosing more than 75% of the hull M.D.C. makes the stealth coating virtually useless (grants only 1/10th of its basic detection difficulty value).

Advantages and disadvantages:
Excellent acceleration (10 Mach per melee in space, 2 Mach per melee in atmosphere), excellent maneouvering (+10% to all pilot rolls, +1 to dog-fight rolls, +1 to Dodge; for Mark 2 types and Mark 1 with agility upgrade add another +1 to dogfight and +2 to Initiative to the standard maneouvering bonuses described above) both in outer space and in an atmosphere. Active booster accelerate the ship to maximum speed in 15 seconds from standing still position and increase its maximum speed to 14 Mach. The booster system carry enough fuel for 30 minutes uniterrupted use.
Last edited by sagajr on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Flickr phostostream with pictures of various ships and deckplans: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/
sagajr
Wanderer

Unread post by sagajr »

Greetings!

Omnipod

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/7562481298/in/photostream

While Galactic Armory (former Galactic Ship Company) is best known for their high performance Black Eagle fighter and other combat crafts it produces for the CCW, its most successful craft is this small, unarmed, simply constructed omnipod.

First introduced at the dawn of the first war against the emerging Kreeghor Empire, these multi purpose omnipods make it one of the most numerous produced crafts in the last two centuries. The wide variety of attachment kits, produced by the Galactic Armory and other third party manufacturers, enable the omnipod to perform a dizzying array of missions from mundane tasks like construction, tugging (towing of one or more heavy equipment/container in space), to more esoteric jobs like asteroid prospecting, deep sea mining and construction operations, search and rescue or even defensive or racing.

Omnipods can be found virtually anywhere in the known space (some might say this little ship can be found even in the unknown regions of the Three Galaxies), used by various factions, corporations, governments and private individuals. As a real workhorse of the stellar empires, the omnipods (and their uncountable knock offs) are common sight in every corner of the galaxies from freshly founded colonies to old space stations, from centers to the fringes of the civilisation.

The basic shape of this ship resembles to the classic UFO saucer shape, but in this case, there is a twin, fang like attachment on the frontal side of the ship which contains multiple systems (tools and manipulators).
Its cockpit and command section is placed into the middle section of the craft and designed to hold three people. One acts as pilot and commander, while the other two are able to remote controll, oversee any drone carried by the ship or manage the sensory and communication system of the ship.

A high powered contra-gravity engine (along with a strong towing beam) is built into the backside of the omnipod. The engine provides excellent speed both in space and in an atmosphere to the pod, while the towing beam is able to lift, move or tow any large chunk/container which is not heavier than 25 tons.
Its basic life support system is not designed for extended usage, but carries just enough food, water and air which is running out in two days (last longer with smaller crew).

Sensory systems, communication and the basic shield machinery, along with the avionic system, is integrated into the outer ring section and the bottom side of the hull. The energy system is not based on a reactor, instead it utilizes multiple batteries to power the ship systems. While on one hand this solution limits the operation time and range of the ship, on the other hand, it is lowers its market cost considerably. However, every one of these little crafts carries a deployable recharge system to fill its empty batteries with energy.
This recharge system is an advanced, compact solar panel which can be unfolded on a planet surface and is able to fully recharge the ship batteries within days or runs multiple low energy-intensive machinery and devices like personal computers, cooking systems, lighting. The solar panel is equipped with a special port where the crew can recharge their E-clips, but this option of the system is not sufficient enough to act as a dedicated E-clip recharger.

A well known feature of this ship is its twin drone carrier system integrated into its sides. On these racks, the ship can carry a total of two types of semi-automatic, remotely controlled recon drones (for scouting, prospecting analizing tasks) or maintenance/repair drones (for repair, maintenance, demolish or deactivate devices from safe distance or in dangerous/hard to reach places). These drones are not suitable for a fight and unarmed, but several customers equip their recon drones with light weapons (hand weapons like pistols and rifles) or use the tools of their drones to damage their environment or opponents. With a little skill in demolition or jury-rigging, any owner can re-program their drones to self-destruct or detonate in close vicinity of an enemy.

As previously mentioned, multiple upgrade kits and variable accessories are available in the market. Some of these enhance the performance of the ship, while others increase the shield strength, maximum speed or increase the towing/lifting limit of the ship. It should be no surprise, given how modifiable is the Omnipod that armed version can be encountered. While most of these „garage kit” fighters were originally jury-rigged by enterprising mechanics to defend stations from pirate attacks, it was not long before various manufacturers began to sell weapon packages specifically designed for the Omnipods. The militarized variants of these pods exchange their drones and forward manipulators for stronger shield system, two light cannons and two missile launchers.

While several companies create there own variants which rival or even exceed the original design, the sheer number of available accessories plus the ready supply of repair/spare parts mean that the Galactic Armory expects to continue the construction of this hard working little craft for some time to come.

Model Type: GA-OP10
Vehicle Type: Multi-role utility craft
Crew: 1. Up to two additional human sized passengers (the seats are not comfortable enough for the larger species like the kreeghor or the wolfen, but they can squeezem themselves in but they found it uncomfortable and irritating after three hours).

M.D.C. by location:
[1]Cockpit/reinforced crew compartment/escape pod – 125
Engine – 100
[2]Landing Gears (4) – 10 each
Drone carrier pylons (2) – 25 each
Telescopic manipulator arms (2) – 20 each
[3]Main Body – 300
[4]Basic Force Field (non variable system) – 300 M.D.C. total
Drones (both type) – 50 each
Optional weapons (4 total) – 25 each

Notes:
[1] Destroying the cockpit will eliminate the main computer and the controls, kills the pilot and passengers, than render the ship helpless.
[2] Destroying more than two of the landing gear will make it impossible for the ship to touch down without structural damage.
[3] Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body destroys the propulsion system and causes the escape pod to eject.
[4] The basic force field system regenerate at the rate of 30% (90 M.D.C. total) per melee.

Speed:
Sublight: The ship's maximum speed is 8 Mach.
FTL propulsion: None.
Atmospheric Propulsion: Maximum speed is 2 Mach, cruising speed is 0.5 Mach, underwater speed is limited to 75 Mph.
Maximum Range: 2 days.

Statistical Data:
Length: 20 feet (6.1 meters).
Height: 7 feet (2.1 meters) total including extended landing gears, 6 feet (1.8 meters) for the main body.
Width: 18 feet (5.5 meters)
Weight: 4 metric tons
Power System: No onboard reactor, only batteries. The ship carry 10 batteries. One battery dedicated to provide energy for the shield system (recharge the shield fully up to 5 times, maximum operation time for a shield charge is 6 hours), another one is dedicated to recharge the carried drones (recharge a drone within an hour, enough for 6 recharge), another seven (7) is used by onboard systems and the drive system (enough for 48 hours of uninterrupted travel and work), while the last act as an emergency back-up which can be redirected to any system.
Cargo: Minimal (about 100 pounds/45 kg). Enough to store a sidearm, five E-clips, basic tools and up to three survival kits plus a foldable solar panel (to recharge onboard batteries).
Market Cost: 7.5 million credits without drones, 2.5 million credtis for a recon drone, 2 million credits for a maintenance drone.
Upgrade kits cost:
High speed upgrade cost 1 million credits (increase maximum speed in all environments by 25% and acceleration by 50%, but lower the operation time to 36 hours).
Stronger shield system cost 250,000 credits(increase shield power to 600 M.D.C., but cannot maintain full powered shields more than three hours total).
Enhanced lifting/towing ability cost 1.5 million credits (increase lifting and towing capacity to 50 tons, but reduce the maximum speed to one half dring lifting and towing).
Militarization cost 1.25 million credits (with two energy weapons, two missile launcher systems chosen by the customer and the stronger shield system). This upgrade replace the drones and the built in telescopic manipulator arms.

Weapon Systems:
Detachable drone carrier pylons (2):
Located on port and starboard side, these semi-automatic (which can be remotely controlled) drones extends the recon or repair (depend on drones) capabilities of the ship. Recon drones are designed to perform analizing, scouting and scanning duties far from its carrier, gather data or act as a sentry/watchguard. Repair and maintenance drones can be used for construction and building, repair and manipulate small devices, carry small weight, manage hazardous materials, to act as a loader or even to act as a remote controlled disarming unit (disarm bombs or other explosives).
Operation Range: 25 miles in an atmosphere, 250 miles in space.
Mega-Damage: None, unarmed drones, can be rigged to self-destruct and do 2D6x10 M.D. damage to everything within 25 feet radius or can be equipped with a single handgun and combat software.
Rate of Fire: Both can be launched at the same time.
Payload: 2 total, one on each mount.

Telescopic Manipulator arms (2):
Two telescopic, retractable manipulator arms can be found in the twin fang like nose of the ship. These manipulators usually used to grab and move various heavy objects in space or use their built in omnitools and cutters to perform jobs and works that do not need fine manipulation and nimble fingers (these jobs left to the drone's and their controllers). The arms are strong enough to crush and squeeze any human to the death and even damage more durable creatures and materials.
Operation range: The arms can be extracted up to 20 feet away from their fang like holds.
Mega-Damage: 2D6 M.D. per manipulator squeeze attack or 3D6 M.D. per cutting tools
Robotis PS of the arms: 40
Attacks per Melee: up to three times per arm per melee

Optional energy cannons (2, replace the manipulator arms):
These light laser cannons replace the manipulator arms described above. Light, short ranged systems without there own power system. Basic targeting computer included (+1 to Strike).
Range: 1 mile (1.6 km) in space and 2,500 feet (762 m) in an atmosphere.
Mega Damage: 1D6x10 M.D. per cannon.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the total number of hand to hand attacks of the gunner.
Payload: 125 blasts per cannon (250 per cannon with the reserve battery).

Optional Missile Launchers (2, replace the drone carrier pylons):
Replace the drone carrier pylons, these rotating missile launchers serve as the ship's main devastating weapon system. The customer must decide between to different systems, the short range missile launcher or the mini missile launcher. If the customer choose one of the missile system both its missile launchers use that missile type.
Rate of Fire: Can fire one missile at a time or volleys of 2 or 4 missiles (per launcher).
Payload: 8 short range missile or 16 mini missiles per launcher.

Noteable systems:
Sensory System – Standard range sensory system with 300,000 miles (480,000 km) range, no FTL detection. +5% bonus to sensory skill rolls and able to track and identify up to 48 objects at the same time.
Communication System – Standard system with 300,000 miles (480,000 km) range. No FTL comm system, only a reciever installed.
ECM system – A combination of sensor jamming devices, radio-pulse flares and old-fashioned chaff dispensers. When active, these systems impose a -20% penalty to anyone trying to target the protected vessel using the Weapon Systems skill, and cause missiles to lose any targeting bonus (only affect smart missiles, no effect against dumb fire variants and rockets). The attacker (gunners and smart missiles) are -3 to Strike the target protected by ECM systems.
Hardened systems – The ship electronic systems are reinforced against jamming type attacks. Lower the attacker Electronic Countermeasures skill by 10%.
Recon Drone – High speed drone type equipped with various sensors (thermographic, electromagnetic, gravity, motion detection, atmospheric analyzer), video plus audio reciever and direct link to the ship's comm system, a small speaker and an external display monitor. Designed to act as a remote scout, explorer or silent watchguard semi autonomus unit. It can be patrol and work uninterrupted for 24 hours. After that, the drone must return to its carrier to recharge. Can be equipped with a small handgun for self defense (any pistol sized handgun can be mounted on it). Its maximum atmospheric speed is limited to 500 Mph, maximum underwater speed is 100 Mph while its maximum space speed is 5 Mach. Its drive system is contra-gravity based and it depth tolerance is limited to half mile. Its software contains navigational programs (land and stellar), 3 communication programs (usually surveillance systems, radio basic, TV/video), read sensory equipment program, analitical programs (chemistry, geology), lore database (animals, demons & monsters) all at 75% skill value.
Repair Drone – Similar to the recon drone but this small fellow is equipped with various manipulators, tools and short range cutters to perform maintenance tasks. As above, this machine can be remote controlled too (usually remote controlled when a difficult or dangerous job must be done from safe distance). On its own, this small hovering platform cannot do difficult maintenance or repair works (its programming contains the following skills: general repair & maintenance, basic mechanics, basic electronics, jury-rig, locksmith, read sensory equipment, navigation, radio basic and TV/video all at 60% skill value). While these drones are unarmed (by military terms) they have various tools which can be used as weapons (like laser cutting tools, vibro blades). Carrying capacity is limited to 1 ton (by mini conntra-grav tractor beam). The PS of its manipulator arms (4 feet long when extended) have augmented PS of 30 (not too strong). Its maximum speed is half of that listed under the recon drone, however its depth tolerance is 3 miles.
Foldable Solar Panel – Standard equipment for all variants. This highly efficient and collapsible solar panel can be used to run several small electric devices at the same time or to recharge the ship's energy storing system (batteries). On a sunny (bright) day, the unfolded solar panel (unfolded surface is 200 square feet) exposed to direct daylight, is able to recharge a battery per every 12 hours or recharge an E-clip within 2 hours (the energy conversion used to recharge an E-clip type storage system is not the main purpose of this system and its efficiency is unsufficient). On a cloudy day, the recharge rate is halved.

Advantages:
Basic acceleration (2 Mach per melee in outer space, 0.5 Mach in an atmosphere, 25 Mph per melee underwater), very good agility (+10% to all pilot rolls, +1 to Dodge, +1 to initiative). Negate all pilot, dodge and initiative bonuses during lifting and towing.
sagajr
Wanderer

Unread post by sagajr »

Greetings!

Deliverer class Freighter and Cerberus class Heavy Escort Frigate

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/7548803736/in/photostream

The Deliverer class of ships are fairly typical of the kinds of medium sized enclosed cargo bay freighters, found across the Three Galaxies and the main rival of the famous Merchantman class ships. This freighter ship uses a relatively simple hull design, heavier frame and combined engine system to remain competitive even in the midst of the market conditions.

It was designed primarily to transport various materials in its cavernous cargo bay or carries up to 600 standard cans (standard sized containers) in its cargo hold between stellar systems. Unlike its competitor, the Merchantman, this ship class is not only plying the trade lanes of the established colonies and the relatively secured areas like homeworlds, but frequently wanders into the less developed and dangerous areas of the known space. To achieve this safely, its designers provided it all the necessary equipment to succesfully carries out its task.

While not as fast as the lighter Merchantman, the Deliverer still counts as a relatively fast civilian freighter. Its design utilizes a combined system which uses a low performance contra-gravity drive system (its main purpose to give the ship better acceleration and provide atmospheric propulsion plus artificial gravity and acceleration compensation) and a standard civilian grade ion drive system. Separately neither one of these drive systems are strong and fast enough to succesfully compete against the high speed of the Merchantman, but together these drives provide enough thrust and speed to approach even if not able to catch up. All Deliverers basically come with a civilian grade FTL drive system, which is powerful enough to speeds up the fully loaded ship up to 3 light-years per hour speed.

This ship is covered with light armor plates and uses strong basic force field technology to provide enough passive protection for the ship to survive not only meteors and harmful envornments, but even a light skirmish against raiding parties. Its force field generator is stronger than the one that installed into the Merchantman. This stronger shield itself is enough to significantly increases the demand for this ship over many other medium sized freighters. However, passive defense systems are rarely enough to protect any ship against the dangers of the Three Galaxies.

Its armament seems strong for a civilian ship, but in remote and unmapped areas of the multiverse unknown dangers lurk for brave traders. The ship is equipped with 8 turreted weapon systems, which ones are serve as the offensive power of the Deliverer. Four boxed medium range missile launchers (placed into turret) and four dual mount turreted energy weapon systems provide the active defense and light attack power of the ship. To complete the combat capabilities of this ship, its designers incorporate powerful ECM system and reinforce the internal system's protection to enhance the ships's defensive measures.

Ship's sensors are average quality, reliable systems which are able to detect any disturbances or enemy movements from standard range and the ship is equipped with short range FTL sensors, too. Short range (intra-system) communication suite uses the galactic average level comm systems, but no FTL communication system is installed on the basic ship.

Its energy system is based on a reliable fission reactor and multiple energy storing devices (batteries) which provide enough energy for the systems to run the ship for 72 hours at peak efficiency even after its reactor shut down. The ion drive system uses Hydrogen fuel which is stored in multiple fuel tanks close to the engines, but deep inside the ship interior. These fuel tanks can be refilled on any space ports or the ship is able to use its built-in ramscoop systems to gather the Hydrogen then condense and store this common gas which is used as fuel for the ion drives. Other gases, which are not useable for the drive system, vented out and do not take away any storage spaces.

If there is a weak point in this design, it is its landing gear system. While most light and medium sized freighters utilize special, pressure equalizer system and are able to land on most surfaces, even on loose ones like the sand or marshy ground, the Deliverer needs solid, reinforced or at least hardened surface where it can land. This can be tracked back to its average quality landing gears and its high total mass. With an empty cargo hold the Deliverer is able to land on sand, either, but the pilot must be careful during such an action or the landing gears will sink and stuck.

The bridge is placed on top of the ship and acts as the primary control and command area, but a secondary bridge is also incorporated in this design and placed deep inside the ship, close tho the engineering section to act as an emergency and reserve command section if the primary bridge will be destroyed.
Crew members and the carried passengers use the top level of the ship. All recreational areas, accommodation, kitchen and mess hall, laundry, most of the fresher cabins (toilet and sink) are placed into the top level along with a small medical section (able to treat up to 10 people at the same time and treat up to five inpatients) and a small security room with armory. Most of the other levels (except the engineering section where the engines, shields, reactor and most of the batteries can be found) are dedicated to the cavernous cargo hold, but several small accomodation, escape pods and freshers can be found virtually on all levels. All internal facilities are designed to be comfortable even for large species like the kreeghor and the wolfen. Huge creatures and members of other races may found this ship somewhat scarce and uncomfortable during longer duration travels.

The previously mentioned, enormous cargo hold fills most of the ship interior. It is designed to store and transfer up to 600 standard cans (up to 9,000 metric tons capacity), but it is distributable into smaller, separated sections to store various cargo and material inside the smaller sections. This large cargo hold is accessible from the ship frontal section, where a huge ramp (and doors) can be lowered to faciliate the approach and access into the cargo hold. The ramp is 40 feet high and 80 feet wide, while the cargo hold door is 30 feet high and 80 feet wide.

As shown above, this ship is a good choice for any trading companies and trader parties who want a stronger and larger capacity freighter for their money than the Merchantman. Compared to the merchantman, this ship is heavier, slower, less advanced design, but able to carry more materials, costs the same amount of money, need only a little more people to run the ship, it is equipped with stronger shield and armament to defend itself. All these merits not only drew the attention of many merchants, but some of the poorer militaries and governments who want an affordable and easily accessible, strong, easy to maintain combat ship in their own fleets.

These aformentioned governments and several merchants, convert their own ships, equip them with additional systems, shields, armament and higher speed. These rebuilded and refitted crafts are noticed by the manufacturers too, who create their own variants for the militaries and sell upgrade packages to enhance the older ships. This led to the born of the Cerberus class heavy escort frigate, which is a reconfigurable, multi-purpose attack ship or simply a heavily armed military transport ship.

Most of the ship exterior remained untouched, except its frontal area, where the designers placed multiple long range missile launcher tubes to act as primary anti-ship weapon system. In combat, the ship extends its retractable, low profile particle beam turrets to repell attackers and shoot down incoming missiles. Medium range missile launchers and side mounted gun turrets remained untouched, at least looks like the same ones which were carried by the Deliverer up until they fire, when the changes made on the guns immidiately recognized (energy cannons were replaced by contra-gravity guns).

Cerberus class ships are equipped with more and advanced electronic systems and a reinforced hull. These changes includes ECCM system, better sensors and communication system (its long range communication uses an older contra-gravity field system which is cheaper, but slower and shorter ranged than the newer, widely used tachion transmitting array), variable shield system and finally multiple sensor and communication jammers. Together these systems increase the ship combat effectiveness considerably and broaden the scope of tasks which can be performed by the ship. The reinforced hull extends the ships depth tolerance from the Deliverer's 3,000 feet to 1.5 miles and increases the endurance and damage resistance of the original design.

The interior, however, has been reconstructed so much, that the ship hardly resembles to the internal areas of the Deliverer. Under the bridge, the designers placed a CIC, extended the security room to a full sized and fully equipped security section, more accomodation and facilities were incorporated to serve the increased crew numbers. More workshops were integrated to increase the repair capabilities of the ship and they increased the numbers of batteries which are carried by the Cerberus. After all these modifications, the accomodation and other facilities which are used by the crew occupies two whole levels.

The extra systems and other modifications, the extra ammunition decrease the cargo hold volume and capacity, but the remaining area is still huge enough to allow the ship to act as a freighter or transport ship. The new cargo hold is large enough to carry 475 standard cans (up to 6,000 metric tons) or can be used to carry and serve various vehicles and smaller space vessels (limited to 25 feet high, because higher vehicles may be caught by the doors). If it is reconfigured as an escort carrier, the Cerberus is able to carry and serve up to eight small/low volume fighters (Scorpion/Broadsword/Fire Eater sized) or 4 larger ones (Flying Fang/Black Eagle/Katana sized) and up to 12 space power armors. However, on a different configuration the ship can be used as a small sized assault carrier which is able to carry two mechanized companies along with their vehicles, spare parts and munitions, but in this case, the supplies reduced to 1 month.

Both ships can be found in the repertoire of various manufacturers and available throughout the Three Galaxies.

Model Type: MT-D, C-HF
Vehicle Type: Medium Freighter / Heavy Escort Frigate
Crew: 40 for the Deliverer, 80 for the Cerberus
Troop Capacity: None for the deliverer, 12 pilots and 20 marines
Passengers: 20 for the Deliverer, up to 8 for the Cerberus

M.D.C. by location (Deliverer / Cerberus):
Primary Bridge – 1,250 / 1,750
Main Engines (3) – 500 each / 750 each
Auxiliary Engines (2, used during acceleration, halve acceleration if both of them destroyed) – 250 each / 300 each
Hangar/Cargo Bay Ramp – 500 / 750
Hangar/Cargo Bay Door – 750 / 1,000
*Outer Hull (100 square feet) – 150 / 225
Interior bulkheads (100 square feet) – 30 / 45
Reinforced Airlocks (4) – 200 each / 300 each
Communication system and FTL communication system (on top of the bridge)– 500 / 750
Sensor domes (6) – 200 each / 250 each
Landing Gears (8) – 75 each / 100 each
Light Energy Cannon Turrets (4, Deliverer only) – 300 each
Contra-gravity Cannon Turrets (4, Cerberus only) – 450 each
Retractable Particle Beam Turrets (8, Cerberus only) – 125 each
Medium Range Missile Launcher Turrets (4, both variants) – 200 each
Long Range Missile Launcher Tubes (64, Cerberus only) – 150 each
[1]Main Body – 5,500 / 9,000
[2]Shield – 2,500 for the Deliverer (basic force field) / 6,000 for the Cerberus (variable shield system, 1,000 per side)

Notes:
[1] Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body means the ship is knocked out of service and in tatters. Life support is on auxiliary power, all major systems are out and the ship is adrift, unable to fight or move under its own power. However, the weapons each have their own power supply and can still continue to fire. The ship itself will be a floating wreck.
[2] Shield regenerates 30% per melee (750 M.D.C. total per melee total) for the Deliverer or 25% per melee (1,500 M.D.C. total per melee) for the cerberus.
*Punching holes in the hull will cause the damage control system to automatically seal off whatever compartment has been exposed to vacuum.

Speed:
Sublight: Maximum speed is 6 Mach (2 Mach by cg drive, 4 Mach by ion drives) for the Deliverer or 9 Mach (3 mach by cg drive, 6 Mach by ion drives) for the Cerberus
FTL propulsion: Contra-gravity drive with 3 ligh-years per hour for the Deliverer or 4 light-years er hour for the Cerberus.
Atmospheric Propulsion: Mach 1 (741.5 mph / 1,186.4 kph) using CG drive. 25 Mph (40 kmh) in an underwater environment. Depth tolerance of the Deliverer is 3,000 feet (915 meters), while the depth tolerance of the Cerberus is 1.5 miles (2,400 meters).
Maximum Range: 1 year with standard crew and passenger capacity for both ships.

Statistical Data:
Length: 380 feet (116 meters).
Height: 120 feet (36.6 meters), 135 feet (41.2 meters) with extended landing gears, 85 feet (25.9 meters) for the main body.
Width: 180 feet (54.9 meters) at the widest point, 120 feet (36.1 meters) for the main body.
Weight: 15,000 metric tons with fully loaded cargo hold
Power System: Fission reactor with 50 year life span.
Fuel Reserve: 300 tons for the Deliverer, 450 tons for the Cerberus. Enough for 1,500 hours at maximum speed.
Fuel Consumption: 0.2 tons per hour on maximum speed for the Deliverer, 0.3 tons per hour on maximum speed for the Cerberus.
Cargo: 9,000 tons, 1,500,000 cubic feet (about 42,000 cubic meters) for the Deliverer.
6,000 tons, 1,187,500 cubic feet (33,250 cubic meters) for the Cerberus.
Market Cost: 125 million for the Deliverer. 375 million for the Cerberus without carried crafts.
Refit cost for the Deliverer to upgrade it into Cerberus: 300 million credits (yes, it is more pricey to upgrade an existing ship than buying a new Cerberus).

Weapon Systems:
Light energy cannon turrets (4, Deliverer only):
Manned, turret mounted, dual laser cannons designed to shoot down incoming fighters and missiles. Can be remote controlled from the bridge or the security room. No auto turret option installed so these turrets always need gunner to operate.
Range: 10 miles (16 km) in space (one quarter in atmosphere).
Mega Damage: 5D6x10 M.D. per turret (mounted cannons cannot fire separately).
Rate of Fire: Equal to the total number of hand to hand attacks of the gunner.
Bonuses: +1 to Strike when controlled by dedicated gunner, no bonus for remote control.

Contra-gravity cannon turrets (4, Cerberus only):
Turret mounted, dual cannons designed to shoot down incoming fighters and missiles at long range or even harrass and damage heavier ships. Can be remote controlled from the bridge or the security room. Auto turret option installed so these turrets are able to act on its own and react enemy attacks when no gunners available. The weapons built into the turrets are based on an earlier, less destructive variant of the GR-1000 cannon.
Range: 16 miles (25.6 km) in space (one half in atmosphere).
Mega Damage: 6D6x10 M.D. per turret (both cannons firing, cannot fire separately).
Rate of Fire: Equal to the total number of hand to hand attacks of the gunner or up to four times per melee without gunner (auto turret programs).
Payload: 500 bursts per turret. Additional ammo (enough for 2,500 burst) stored in a special ammo storage, but reloading from this hol takes 1D4 minutes.
Bonuses: +1 to Strike when controlled by dedicated gunner, +3 to Strike and +2 to Initiative for the auto-turret.

Retractable Particle Beam Turrets (8, Cerberus only):
Computer controlled, retractable, turret mounted particle beam cannons designed to shoot down incoming fighters and missiles. Can be remote controlled from the bridge or the security room.
Range: 6 miles (9.6 km) in space (one half in atmosphere).
Mega Damage: 3D4x10 M.D. per turret in concentrated mode or 3D4 M.D. to everything in scatter mode up to half range in a 25 feet wide cone.
Rate of Fire: Equal to the total number of hand to hand attacks of the gunner or up to 6 times when controlled by combat computer.
Bonuses: +1 to Strike when remote controlled or +4 to Strike and +3 to Initiative when controlled by combat computer.

Turreted medium Range Missile Launchers (4, both types):
Box shaped, turreted weapon system designed to engage and destroy fighters from long range or damage heavier ships. Can be controlled by a dedicated gunner or can be remote controlled from any available stations (from security station, any of the two bridges).
Range: As per missile
Mega-Damage: As per missile
Rate of Fire: Can fire one missile at a time or volleys of 2, 4, 8 or 12 missiles per turret.
Payload: 64 medium range missiles per launcher. Another 256 missiles per turret (1,024 missiles total) stored in a special ammo storage, but reloading from this hold takes about 1D4 minutes. The Deliverer carries only 64 missiles per turret to reload its turrets.

Long Range Missile Tubes (64, Cerberus only):
The main anti-ship armament on the Cerberus use an outdated, simple and cheap placement mode. Instead of a reloadable, sizeable launcher system, the Cerberus is equipped with 64 separate missile cell, each loaded with 4 long range missiles. In this storage form each missile is separated from the other ones and if an explosion occurs, the explosion force do not engage other missiles and leaves forward. However, this placement has its own disadvantage, because these missile launcher cannot be reloaded from inside, only from outside, which is rather time consuming and cannot be performed during combat. On the bright side, this layout allows the ship's captain to unleash massive volleys, even the whole missile package can be released by a single command.
Range: As per missile
Mega-Damage: As per missile
Rate of Fire: Can fire one missile at a time or volleys of 2, 3, 4 or 6 missiles per tube.
Payload: 6 long range missiles per launch tube (384 long range missiles total). Another 384 missiles stored in a special ammo storage, but the launchers cannot be reloaded from inside during combat. Reloading takes about an hour with skilled crew using EVA pods.

Noteable systems:
Sensory System – Extended range sensory system with 600,000 miles (960,000 km) range and 4 light-years FTL detection for the Cerberus (halve the ranges for the Deliverer). +10% bonus to sensory skill rolls, resistant against jamming attacks (lower the attacker Electronic Countermeasures skill by 10%) and able to track and identify up to 150 objects at the same time (for both ships).
Communication System – Enhanced system with 350,000 miles (560,000 km) range for the Cerberus and 300,000 miles (480,000 km) for the Deliverer.
Contra-gravity field communicaton system (with 100 light-years range) installed on the Cerberus, none for the Deliverer.
ECM system (both ships) – A combination of sensor jamming devices, radio-pulse flares and old-fashioned chaff dispensers. When active, these systems impose a -20% penalty to anyone trying to target the protected vessel using the Weapon Systems skill, and cause missiles to lose any targeting bonus (only affect smart missiles, no effect against dumb fire variants and rockets). The attacker (gunners and smart missiles) are -3 to Strike the target protected by ECM systems.
ECCM system (Cerberus only) – Lowers the negative modifier caused by an enemy ECM system by 15% and lowers the negative Strike modifier to -2 instead of the standard -3 caused by an enemy ECM attack.
Hardened systems (both ships) – The ship electronic systems are reinforced against jamming type attacks. Lower the attacker Electronic Countermeasures skill by 10% for the Deliverer or 15% for the Cerberus.
Jamming Set (Cerberus only) – The jamming set can focus its emissions to overload enemy sensors and controlling systems. This gives the ship an electronic attack capability and requires Electronic Countermeasures skill roll. A successful roll suppresses enemy sensors for 3D4 rounds (45 to 180 seconds). While suppressed, the enemy gunners attack precision and attack rate lowered (-3 to Strike, loses one attack), the pilots response time increased and their ship controlling skills are weakened temporary (loses one attack, -10% to all piloting skill rolls and -3 to Dodge rolls) due to electronic system disturbances. The jamming set has a range of 5,000 miles (8,000 km) and able to jam up to 40 targets at a time (need to roll separately for all).
Communication Jamming System (Cerberus only) – The communication jamming system is designed for scrambling enemy communications (-60% to any communication skill based rolls for the enemy/foreign ships, failed communication roll means canceled video communication and even the audio messages are hard to understand). Scrambles all foreign communications within 5,000 miles (8,000 km) range.
Damage Control (both ships) – The onboard facilities, the damage control teams and the repair crew can restore 800 M.D.C. worth of structural damage per day as long as they have enough raw materials and spare parts to perform this job.
Ramscoops – Electromagnetic scoops intended to capture interstellar hydrogen molecules for fuel and reaction mass. Ramscoop system reloads 0.2 ton of reaction mass for fusion and ion drive per 15 minutes in atmosphere. Needs 60 minutes to reloads 0.2 ton of reaction mass near planets or in gas/star clouds and needs 6 hours to gather 0.2 ton of fuel in interstellar space. Wolfen planets are notorious to ban the use of these systems in their atmosphere.

Carried crafts:
2 EVA pods and 12 small (4 people capacity) escape pods for the Deliverer.

12 large (10 people capacity) escape pods, 4 EVA pods and one of the following:
12 power armors and 4 medium or 8 small sized fighters.
2 companies of mechanized infantry with up to 8 tanks, 12 APCs and 60 power armors.
None (empty cargo hold reserved for cargo containers or other materials)

Advantages:
Deliverer – 1 Mach per melee acceleration in space, 250 Mph per melee acceleration in an atmosphere or up to 10 Mph per melee underwater. No maneouvering bonuses.
Cerberus – 4 Mach per melee acceleration in space, 400 Mph per melee acceleration in an atmosphere or up to 25 Mph per melee acceleration underwater. No maneouvering bonuses.

edit: I added the fuel consumption rate and fuel reserve data.
Last edited by sagajr on Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
taalismn
Priest

Being in the middle of a 'Firefly' marathon...yeah, I'm in the mood for some ships! Thanks! :ok:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
sagajr
Wanderer

Unread post by sagajr »

taalismn wrote:Being in the middle of a 'Firefly' marathon...yeah, I'm in the mood for some ships! Thanks! :ok:

Ahh... the Firefly. I liked that show so much. :)
taalismn
Priest

sagajr wrote:
taalismn wrote:Being in the middle of a 'Firefly' marathon...yeah, I'm in the mood for some ships! Thanks! :ok:

Good exercise in world building, witty banter, tight storylines, and cool-looking ships(I particularly like the little AVRES...the fighter-like ships, used by the Alliance).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
sagajr
Wanderer

Unread post by sagajr »

taalismn wrote:
sagajr wrote:

Good exercise in world building, witty banter, tight storylines, and cool-looking ships(I particularly like the little AVRES...the fighter-like ships, used by the Alliance).

Don't forget the Alliance's infantry armor (stolen from the Starship Troopers movie)! :wink: :D
taalismn
Priest

sagajr wrote:[
Don't forget the Alliance's infantry armor (stolen from the Starship Troopers movie)! :wink: :D

If you read the companion books for the series, a LOT of sci-fi gear was rented(the spacesuits for instance, previously appeared in the movie -Soldier-) and slightly modified, as they couldn't afford to make many of their designs from scratch.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Paladin Steel “Allnut” Light FTL Transport
(aka ‘Trippie’, ‘Three-Breast’, ‘Steam Whistle’ )
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp164/taalismn/img256.jpg

“Give a dozen of these ships to a dozen Belters, and by the end of the year, when you call them back in, ideally with the bait of a cash rebate, you’ll see twelve entirely different ships, with maybe only half of them sporting anything that looks recognizable as standard equipment. Making them modular’s just a challenge to the FringeFolk; they’ll see to it they come up with configurations you couldn’t imagine.”

“You fools! You wasted time and ammunition chasing down a DECOY! Didn’t you pay ANY attention to the updated alien commercial ship recognition guides?! That wasn’t some mud-crawler chem-rocket fitted with a wired-on stardrive! That was an ‘ASI Allnut-class light transport’! That wasn’t them trying to escape in a shuttlecraft hoping you would chase their reaction mass tanks! That was them throwing away half their engines and weapons in hopes you’d THINK they were abandoning crewless fuel tanks and boosters! And YOU FELL FOR IT!!! While you were chasing down a redundant engineering section, they wiggled and waggled and made themselves look like tossed-away garbage, and then they JUMPED to FTL when your back was turned! A Royal Cruiser and you couldn’t catch one third-class powered waste-can of a ship! You’ll be blessed if the Patriarchs just demand that the bridge crew hang themselves, and not order the entire ship’s complement decimated!”

The Allnut-class transport is a light starship very much in the spirit of the Sunchaser. Small, fast, light, and affordable, with a modular design that allows for fast customization and upgrades for a variety of purposes.
Appearance-wise, the Allnut looks like it was lifted from the pages of pre-Rifts Terran aerospace history, specifically design proposals for shuttle orbiter vehicles. The Allnut looks like two shuttle orbiters mated to either side of a central hydrogen-oxygen tank in a dual-launch mode, set upright. In reality, the more advanced Allnut is really one vehicle, the ‘orbiters’ being redundant propulsion sections anchored firmly to the central payload and habitat module. Two additional ‘tanks’ can be added to the sides of the core module to carry additional cargo or living space(see Options)---The Allnut can use the same modular pods as the arguably more classy ‘Sunchaser’. The Allnut is a ‘tail sitter’, landing and launching upright on its six fins. While this takes a bit more training, especially in atmospheric maneuvering, for pilots more accustomed to the more common ‘aerodyne’ arrangement of advanced spacecraft, the ship is remarkably stable.
Though the Allnut is not as aesthetically or technically pleasing as other designs such as the Sunchaser, the Allnut’s built-in redundancy and lower cost makes it popular with smaller operators, asteroid prospectors, and scouts looking for a rugged and capable small starship. Its ability to carry quite heavy armaments pods makes it popular with smaller colonies and aerospace paramilitaries looking to outfit ‘mosquito fleet’ forces.

Type: PS/ASI Allnut
Class: Light Aerospace Transport, FTL-capable
Crew: 6 (however, can be run effectively for short periods/or with extensive automation with a skeleton crew of two)
Main Hull accommodations for 12 passengers(30 under cramped conditions)+ possible Main Pod accommodations
MDC/Armor by Location:
Main Body 2,700
Bridge 800
Engines(2) 700 each
Tail Fins(6) 500 each
Point Defense Turrets(2) 100 each
Weapons Bays(2) 200 each
Hull Modules(2, Optional) Typically 500-900 each
Forcefield(standard)* 900
Variable Forcefield(optional)**1,000 per side (6,000 total)

*Shield Refresh Rate is 5% per melee
**Shield Refresh Rate is 10% per melee

Height: 211 ft
Width: 134 ft wingspan
Length: 134 ft wingspan
Weight: 2,800 tons
Cargo: 180 tons internally
If not fitted with an FTL generator/drive system, the ship can carry an additional 100 tons of cargo in the open engineering space. If not carrying missiles or other weaponry in the ordnance bays, an additional 40 tons can be carried in each bay.
See also Options with regards to pods.
Powerplant: Nuclear Fusion with 50 year energy life
Speed:
(Atmosphere) Hover to Mach 6; transatmospheric.
(Sublight) Mach 8
(Kitsune Values: 60% of light speed; Accelerates/decelerates at 0.8% of light speed per melee)
(FTL) None standard, but can be fitted with a variety of FTL drive packages. The standard Three Galaxies models are offered with a 3 light year /hour drive system
(Underwater) Not possible
Market Cost: 170 million (Rifts Earth)credits/ 48 million CCW credits* for the basic vehicle
(*PS may actually offer discounts for known Galactic buyers, in an effort to acquire more hard Galactic currency )
Systems of Note:
Standard Starship Systems:
*Full Sensor Suite---Specialized sensor pallets include radiation detectors and counters, spectrographic analysis devices, gravitic sensors, electromagnetic activity readers, and optics packages.
*Long Range Radar---Phased Array Search and Early Warning Radars
Maximum Target Resolution: 200,000 miles
*Laser Targeting-------100,000 miles
*Communications Suite:---Long Range Radio and Video
*Laser Communications ---Tactical (i.e. ship-to fighter/shuttle)Range: 250,000 miles
*Optical Tracking Clusters----These are transparent blisters fitted with gimbal-mounted high-resolution visible-light/IR/UV optical telescopes that continually scan the arc of sky before them. Linked to the navigational arrays and other tracking sensors, and to a series of highly sophisticated near-AI search and discrimination software systems, these sensors attempt to detect objects that have low radar returns/sensor signatures, such as stealthed vehicles, iceballs, or asteroids. The high-tech equivalent of the man in the crow’s nest with a pair of binoculars.

*Airlocks---The Allnut has three main airlocks/access points; two lateral airlocks through the engine pods, with extending pressurized docking tunnels and universal docking collars, a bottom main access/airlock lift(used when landed), and a large cargo lift in the rear of the central hull. If so desired, the hull pods can fitted with their own docking collars and airlocks.

*Life Pods---Has 2 eight-man life pod modules with emergency first aid gear, emergency beacons, crash kits, water filtration/recycling, and 1 month of life support/rations.

*Detachable Bridge Life Module----In addition to the life pods, the entire bridge module can detach and serve as a lifeboat. It has somewhat more maneuvering thrust capacity than the standard life pods, allowing it to rendezvous with the lifepods and shepherd them together(‘rafting’ them to share resources).

*Aerobrakes---Standard(if unlisted) equipment on most PS atmosphere-capable spacecraft; these deployable air foils and fence panels reduce speed by 10% every hour the spacecraft is skimming atmosphere.

Weapons Systems: None standard, but the two ‘orbiter’ engineering hulls can be fitted with a weapons station where the ‘cockpit’ would be, and additional space where the ‘payload bay’ could be can hold retractable weapons turrets, missile launchers, or sensor systems.
*Heavy Turrets(2)
a) Laser Cannon
Range:(Palladium) 5 miles in atmosphere, 10 miles in space
(Kitsune Values)5 miles in atmosphere, 500 miles in space
Damage: 6d6x10 MD per blast
Rate of Fire: ECHH
Payload: Unlimited

b) Particle Beam Cannon
Range:(Palladium) 4 miles in atmosphere, 8 miles in space
(Kitsune Values) 4 miles in atmosphere, 400 miles in space
Damage: 1d4x100 MD per blast

c) Ion Cannon
Range: (Palladium) 5 miles in atmosphere, 10 miles in space
(Kitsune Values)5 miles in atmosphere, 500 miles in space
Damage: 2d4x10 MD per blast,
In addition to physical damage, the cannon does EM damage. Percentage of EM damage is determined in relation to target’s main body((damage/main body)x100=percentage). For every 10% of damage from main body in ion damage, target will be -1 to strike, parry. and dodge. In space target acceleration will be reduced by 15%, in atmosphere top speed will be reduced by 15%. Roll once on critical hit charts in Phazeworld or Conversion book as appropriate.
If target takes 60% of main body in ion damage, ship or vehicle will be disabled completely. All weapon, navigation, and other systems will shut down and need to be repaired/replaced to work again/reboot.
Does NO damage against non-mechanical/electronic targets.
The ion cannon is equally effective against bionics
Rate of Fire: Five times per melee
Payload: Effectively Unlimited

d) Plasma Cannon
Range: (Palladium) 2.5 miles in atmosphere, 5 miles in space
(Kitsune Values)2.5 miles in atmosphere, 250 miles in space
Damage: 1d4x100 MD per blast
Rate of Fire: 5 times per melee

e) Rail Gun
Range:(Palladium) 11,000 ft(2 miles) in atmosphere, 20 miles in space
(Kitsune Values)11,000 ft(2 miles) in atmosphere, 200 miles in space
Damage: 3d4x10 MD per 40 rd burst(can only fire bursts)
Rate of Fire: EPCHH
Payload: 8,000 rds

f) 30mm Autocannons(1x4)
Range: (Palladium) 11,000 ft(2 miles) in atmosphere, 4 miles in space
(Kitsune Values)11,000 ft(2 miles) in atmosphere, 200 miles in space
Damage: 4d6 MD single rd, 1d6x10 MD two rd burst, 3d6x10 MD six-round burst per single cannon...so a full burst of six rounds each from all four cannons firing simultaneously....12d6x10!
Rate of Fire: EPCHH
Payload: 1,600 rds, 400 rds per cannon
Bonuses: Independent laser and radar tracking system; +1 strike set on automatic against aerial attack, +2 strike fired by gunner

*Ordnance Bays(2)
a)Mini-Missile Launcher----100 MMs(Volleys of 1-10)
b) Short Range Missile Launcher----48 SRMs(Volleys of 1-12)
c) Medium Range Missile Launcher----24 MRMs(Volleys of 1-6)
d) Long Range Missile Launcher----8 LRMs(Volleys of 1-4)
e) Cruise Missile Launcher---3 (Volleys of 1-3)
f) Space Mines----10
g) Countermeasure Launchers---Three different types of decoys can be deployed:---
The first is simple sensor-reflective chaff and thermo-flares. These countermeasures are inexpensive and very effective against lower-end targeting systems and sensor equipment(such as that used by nations equivalent to the Coalition States on Rifts Earth), but are ineffectual against more advanced technology.
Range: Close Defense
Damage: None; similar to Triax-style chaff
01-50 Enemy Missile or volley detonates in chaff and threat is neutralized
51-75 Missile/Volley diverts and may pursue/lock on to other targets
76-00 No Effect! Missile(s) still on target!
Will also temporarily blind and impede flying monsters who fly into it.
In space, anything flying at high speed through the cloud will take 2d6 MD +1d6 MD per every 100 miles of speed over 670 MPH.
Reduce APMs/combat bonuses/ speed by half for 1d4 melees
Payload: 36

The second system releases a nanotech swarm of active jamming pods and decoys that are programmed to emulate a spacecraft’s sensor signature, or, at the very least, bury enemy tactical communications in ‘white noise’.
Effective Range: 25 mile jamming radius
Duration: 5 minutes per pod-spray
Effects: Jams radio signals(75% chance of jamming military band command-guidance ordnance), and 60% chance of deflecting ordinary missiles.
Payload: 9 swarm packs

The third system uses modified grav-pack drives and signal projectors to create a moving pattern of sensor signatures. The grav-pack mini-missile drives can go for 10 minutes before self-destructing, and can either be remotely directed or run a preset pattern.
Effective Speed: Mach 6
Duration: 10 minutes per pod
Effects: The decoys have a 70% chance of fooling enemy sensor operators and expert systems. They are are also +2 to enemy sensor-guided munitions to strike, increasing the chance that the missiles will elect to pursue the ‘louder’ sensor signature(the missile rolls to strike for both the original ship and each decoy deployed....highest to strike roll determines which target the missile(s) go after).
Payload: 6 decoys are carried, and can be deployed singly, or in ‘packs’ of 1-3.

Auxiliary Craft: None, unless outfitted with hangar modules(see Options)

Options:
*** Pod Modules---The Allnut can carry two modular pods on lateral mounts(2 MUST be mounted, in order to balance the hull); here are a few of the standard pod types available commercially;

*Passenger Pod(Commuter)(typically 550 MDC)----Basic accommodations for 30 people(another 15 can be shoehorned in under emergency conditions, but life support will be reduced to 50%, and conditions will be cramped).
Cost: 200,000 credits

*Passenger Pod(Luxury)(typically 500-800 MDC)----Luxury accommodations for VIPs or a wealthy ship owner. Usually accessorized with additional security features(EM shielding, separate communications suite, independent forcescreening, etc....). Typically houses 1-10 people in close, but high, comfort.
Cost: 200,000 + credits, depending on interior fittings

*Cargo Pod(typically 500 MDC)---Basic cargo pod can hold up to 100 tons.
Special purpose cargo pods outfitted for special cargoes, like high-security pay-vault pods(with their own security systems), shielded radiation containment vessels, exotic environment pods, or cryogenic storage modules, can cost 100-500% more, depending on the modifications.
Cost: 110,000 credits

*Heavy Drive Boosters---These are massive powerful normal-space booster units that work in tandem to punch up the speed of the spacecraft. Two MUST be fitted, taking the place of any other options. Popular with couriers and runners.
Speed: Improve atmospheric and sublight speed by 80%, so sublight speed is now Mach 14.
Cost: 28 million credits
Note: Booster systems capable of accelerating the Allnut up to Mach 16 and Mach 19 are also rumored to be available/in the works, for correspondingly higher expense, but these systems appear to currently be available only to PS/GNE/ASI insiders.

*Light Boosters ---These are smaller drive booster units that can be fitted to the rear/bottom of any standard module without affecting its function. They don’t offer the same kick of raw speed as the HDBs, but they can still give the ship a significant improvement in speed.
Speed: Improve atmospheric and sublight speed by 20%
Cost: 8 million credits

*Fighter Cradle---This module mounts a shell of light armor over a framework of docking armatures and system hookups, allowing the forward point to hold a single aerospace fighter, combat robot, or small shuttle. The protective ‘hangar shell’ provides 800 MDC.
Cost: 800,000 credits

* Recon Pod---No armaments, but this module package is crammed to the gills with long range military sensor equipment, including lidar, terrain mapping radar, EW detection/locator gear, gravitic sensors(8,000 mile range).
Cost: 6 million credits, plus extra for any specifically specialized sensor types.

*Long Range Sensor Pod---This module typically has a bulbous nose protruding well ahead of the rest of the ship, and holds gravitic sensors capable of detecting normal drive activity at 1 million miles away and FTL drive activity up to 18 light years away. Cost: 18 million credits.

* EW Pod--A powerful version of fighter onboard ECM systems, intended to provide wide area sensor jamming for squadrons or defense grid penetrations. This pod has provision for a three man EW operations crew
Effects:(Jamming) Jams civilian band communications with 90% effectiveness, military systems with 75% effectiveness. Enemy radar- and laser-guided weaponry is -4 to strike
(Cloaking) 95% chance of evading sensor detection to everything in the area of effect. All weapons fired at the craft in the cloaked field are -5 to hit
Range:(Jamming)800 miles
(Cloaking)1,000 ft radius
Cost: 85 million credits, and ONLY to approved customers

* Forcefield Generator Pod--A more powerful forcefield generator that produces a battlescreen of 3,000 per side (18,000 total) MDC strength(regenerates at 5% per melee)
Cost: 9 million credits

**Weapons Pods:
These pods typically have their own onboard power system, as well as targeting systems, though they can be tied to the ship’s own power grid and sensor suites.

* Missile Pod Type A-Carries 150 short range missiles(SRMs)(Volleys of 1-15)
Cost: 12.4 million credits, plus cost of the ordnance

* Missile Pod Type B-Carries 80 medium range missiles(MRMs)(Volleys of 1-10)
Cost: 12 million credits, plus cost of the ordnance

* Missile Pod Type C--Carries 20 long range missiles(LRMs)(Volleys of 1-5)
Cost: 30 million credits, plus cost of the ordnance

* Missile Pod Type D---Carries 10 cruise missiles(Volleys of 1-2)
Cost: 32 million credits, plus cost of the ordnance

*Special Weapons Pod(Exclusive to Paladin Steel/Aegis Stellar Industries)---This allows the Allnut to carry and deploy a single Long Lance III or IV Heavy Nuclear Missile.

*Special Spacial Demolitions Pod(aka ‘Rock Buster’)----This is a variable-mode heavy shaped-charge plasma-nuclear warhead meant for destroying rogue asteroids and comets, or at least pushing them on new and harmless courses. The demolition payload is mounted on a thruster-equipped ‘bus’ that is docked to the SunChaser’s pod-mount, and deployed when within suitable range of the target. Depending on the type of target, if the target asteroid is relatively ‘soft’ and easily broken up, the warhead will maneuver to direct the plasma jet produced upon detonation so as to carve the asteroid apart. If the asteroid is too large or solid for this to be effective, the warhead will be maneuvered and oriented so as to provide a powerful boost, ideally pushing the target on a new trajectory.
The maneuvering ‘bus’ is too slow(about Mach 3 at maximum burn) to make it an effective weapon against other spacecraft(too easily spotted and shot down/evaded), though it could conceivably be used against a spacestation or already crippled vessel.
Range: Typically deployed from about 200 to 1,000 miles away from the target.
Damage: 1d6x1,000 MD to a 200 ft wide, 5,000 ft long, area

* Cannon Pod Type A---Mounts a high power gauss cannon
Range:(Palladium) 5 miles in atmosphere, 10 miles in space
(Kitsune Values) 10 miles in atmosphere, 10,000 miles in space
Damage: 6d6x10 MD per 20 rd burst
Payload: 10,000 rds(500 bursts)
Cost: 3.6 million credits

* Cannon Pod Type B---Mounts a slightly less powerful rail cannon and 16 MRMs(or 32 SRMs) behind it.
Range:(Gauss Cannon)(Palladium) 6,000 ft in atmosphere, 4 miles in space
(Kitsune Values)4 miles in atmosphere. 4,000 miles in space
(Missiles) Varies by Missile Type(x4 in space)
(Kitsune Values: SRMs: 10 miles in atmosphere, 500 miles in space.
MRMs: 160 miles in an atmosphere and 80,000 miles in space.)
Damage: (Gauss Cannon)4d6x10 MD per 20 rd burst
(Missiles) Varies by Missile Type
Rate of Fire:(Gauss Cannon) ECHH
(Missiles) Volleys of 1,2,4, or 8
Payload:(Gauss Cannon) 1,000 rd drum(500 bursts)
(Missiles)16 MRMs OR 32 SRMs
Cost: 2.8 million credits, plus cost of the ordnance

*Cannon Pod Type C---Mounts a double-mount heavy kinetic kill weapon of the type already deployed as a secondary armament on many PS/ASI capital ships. Known as the ‘A-1000’, ‘Triple-Ugly-Stick’, ‘Sword-Swallower’, and ‘Triple-Hammer’, this weapon pod’s mounting means the entire ship has to be pointed to fire it. Its recoil-vibration back into the structure of the Allnut requires extra care to piloting and programming the maneuvering thrusters to compensate for the weapon when firing; otherwise it will impose a -10% to piloting rolls the melee round the weapon is being fired. Double these penalties if TWO such weapons pods are mounted.
Range: (Palladium) 10 miles in atmosphere, 40 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 40 miles in atmosphere/ 40,000 miles in space)
Damage: 1d4x100 MD per 80 rd burst, 2d4x100 MD double cannon burst,
Payload: 32,000 rds(400 bursts) per cannon
Cost: 20 million credits

* Energy Weapon Pod Type A---Mounts a high powered laser cannon. This is an extremely powerful weapon, but its power and range are offset by its slow rate of fire.
Range: (Palladium)8 miles in atmosphere, 16 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 16 miles in atmosphere, 16,000 miles in space)
Damage: 2d6x100 MD per blast
Rate of Fire: 4 shots per melee
Cost: 60 million credits

* Energy Weapon Pod Type B---Mounts a more powerful x-ray laser cannon that can punch through laser-ablative/reflective armors
Range:(Palladium)9 miles in atmosphere, 18 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 18 miles in atmosphere, 18,000 miles in space)
Damage: 3d6x100 MD per blast
Rate of Fire: Twice per melee
Cost: 75 million credits

* Energy Weapon Pod Type C---Mounts a high powered Ion Destabilizer cannon
Range:(Palladium)5 miles in atmosphere,10 miles in space
(Kitsune Values) 10 miles in atmosphere, 10,000 miles in space Damage: 1d4x100 MD per blast,
In addition to physical damage, the cannon does EM damage. Percentage of EM damage is determined in relation to target’s main body((damage/main body)x100=percentage). For every 10% of damage from main body in ion damage, target will be -1 to strike, parry. and dodge. In space target acceleration will be reduced by 15%, in atmosphere top speed will be reduced by 15%. Roll once on critical hit charts in Phazeworld or Conversion book as appropriate.
If target takes 60% of main body in ion damage, ship or vehicle will be disabled completely. All weapon, navigation, and other systems will shut down and need to be repaired/replaced to work again/reboot.
Does NO damage against non-mechanical/electronic targets.
The ion cannon is equally effective against bionics
Rate of Fire: Five times per melee
Cost: 60 million credits

* Energy Weapon Pod Type D---Mounts a high powered Particle Beam Cannon. Like the “Energy-A” configuration, this pod’s power is offset by a slow rate of fire, and greater expense.
Range: 7 miles in atmosphere, 14 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 14 miles in atmosphere, 14,000 miles in space)
Damage: 4d4x100 MD per blast
Rate of Fire: 3 shots per melee
Cost: 50 million credits

* Energy Weapon Pod Type E---Mounts a high powered Plasma Torpedo Launcher
Range: (Palladium)10 miles in atmosphere, 20 miles in space
(Kitsune) 20 miles in atmosphere, 20,000 miles in space
Damage: 2d4x100 MD to a 120 ft diameter blast radius
Energy ‘torpedo’ has a disruption MDC of 50
Cost: 55 million credits
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Paladin Steel/Aegis Stellar Industries ‘Hikyaku’ Heavy Scout/Courier
(aka “Astroburner’, ‘Comet Express’,'Scorchstar', 'Red Rivet')

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp164/taalismn/img299.jpg

“Neither rain nor heat nor plasma pulses, nor anti-matter missiles, nor Demonstars, nor gloom of eternal night shall keep these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds!”
----Unofficial Motto of the Galactic Couriers.

“Yep, the Darien War’s gone hot again; both sides were simply using the ceasefire to rearm, so there’s now more of both sides, more heavily armed than ever, blasting away at each other and anything else in a five light year radius of the contested systems. The Ambassador and his staff are stuck, can’t get out, and their food supplies are running out. Their hosts can’t come up with anything that our people can properly eat, they can’t spare the ships to escort the delegation out, and their enemies have made no bones about killing neutrals unless they join their side. Eating the chow’s slow death by cumulative poisoning for our people, so we’re going to run the gauntlet to deliver them a few hundred tons of proper grub, so’s to tide them over until the war winds down enough for us to properly extract them. We go in full drive, through BOTH sides, with BOTH jammers and IFF going full blast, and we drop our supply pods to make atmo-brake on the Darian homeworld, then slingshot back out and try to ourselves back out alive. Hopefully, they’ll listen to our sig-signals and won’t mistake our grocery bags for city-busters and blow them out of the sky, because then we’ll have to go back and do it all over again!”
---Captain Haddam Chestr, ASI GalCourier Myrtilus

“Another hot run into a war zone at maximum speed, hard gees crushing us in our seats, ship shaking bucking free molecular turbulence, enough bigger garbage and free flying ordnance to tear our shields down to next to nothing at the end of the run, and ablate our forward armor down to the flint steel if we’re lucky and nobody deliberately shoots at us? Strong chance of death and destruction if they ignore our transmissions and use our signals and drive wake to home their weapons in on? Hey, SOMEBODY’s got to tell those two fleets of chuckleheads their war’s officially over.”
---Ensign Lorn Tallavor, ASI GalCourier Sybil Ludington

“Yeah, we wear ‘relief garments’ on duty, because we pull more hard gees for longer than even fighter pilots. Because on a ‘hot’ run, getting up to use the facilities like normal is asking for strained muscles and maybe broken bones if we fall or the ship has to suddenly maneuver. I don’t feel like trading my meat for a full prosthetic body like some of the other burn-riders do, so I get used to it. But right now, I’m off-duty, off my ship, and under normal gees, and I take exception to being called a ‘diaper pilot’ by some orbit-hopper like you. So unless you want to know how being hit with high-gee exercised muscle feels like, I’d shut my ‘ports if I were you.”
----Warrant Officer Callia Durmann, ASI GalCourier Cephalus

As more modern designs became possible with the advance of PS/ASI’s shipbuilding technologies, older, but still sound, designs were re-tasked to new roles, Just as older modular pre-gravitic ship designs and production lines were retooled to produce orbital platforms and equipment, so too were older CG-tech designs retained, but mined for all possible use. Such was the case with the Falx and Masakari Heavy Space Destroyers. The ships of the ‘mushroom force’(so-called for their distinctive ‘toadstool’ configuration) were small, cramped, and under-armed by Galactic standards, but they were also built tough. PS/ASI has capitalized on that toughness to rebuild the design into a high-performance high-speed auxiliary.
The Hikyaku(named for ancient Japanese Shogunate message runners) is a reworked Falx/Masakari-class hull, remade as a fast light scout or heavy galactic courier. Crew requirements have been cut down through redundant automation. The engines have been considerably beefed up, using military-grade powerplants developed in anticipation of PS/ASI’s on-the-drawing-board heavy cruiser classes. These engines make up more proportionately of the Hikyakus’ mass than those of the parent Falx and Masakari destroyer classes. Though capable of matching the top speeds of advanced and finely-tuned Three Galaxies machines such as the Altess Zhokil-class battlecruisers, the high speeds that the Hikyakus can reach strain the ships’ spaceframes, requiring substantially more maintenance between ‘hot’ runs(some estimates place the turnaround between high speed ‘burn-runs’ at 2-3 times the standard for the Falx/Masakaris). The high performance also takes a toll on the gravitic shielding protecting the crew; when operating at maximum speed, the crew is advised to take to specially-fitted acceleration stations and work stations, as sustained long-term g-loads commonly reach 3-5 gees, and hit spikes of 7-9 during combat maneuvering. For FTL transits, the C-G FTL drives have been tweaked for as much boosted performance as PS/ASI’s drive technology knowledge allows.
Weaponry is reduced to point defense types, the ships’ armor and speed being their main defenses. Most of the weaponry has been stripped off; especially projectile weapons types, in favor of energy weapons and point defense systems. The shields have also been beefed up, especially to resist the potentially catastrophic collisions with free floating matter possible at the high speeds the Hikyakus typically operate at. Passive defenses in the form of sensor jammers have also been added, with power allocated to operate them, in the hopes that such systems will further increase the survival of the ships on their assigned missions.
Sensors and communications are above par for ships of this weight classification; as scouts the vessels need to know what’s around them, as couriers they need to avoid hazards well in advance. Their advanced communications systems allow them to more effectively dump their accumulated or carried data quickly and securely to their support elements or target receivers.
The Hikyakus normally carry only small amounts of cargo, and in courier missions, even this is kept to a minimum, most courier missions carrying only highly encrypted and compressed digital data in secure storage. LIkewise, while they can carry a few passengers, quarters and accommodations are spartan, and any passengers must double up with the crew. more often than not,those electing to travel by courier typically travel in stasis.

As warships, Hikyakus are too weak armament-wise to have much of a chance against other warships, and as interdiction craft they lack available onboard manpower to conduct search and boarding operations. Hikyakus are generally deployed as ‘look and dash’ scouts, doing quick flybys/thrus of a target system, hopefully before any enemy can mount an effective intercept. Hikyakus are not stealthy vessels; their massive engines pump out a very visible wake of gravitational distortion that can be easily detected. Because they are also decidedly not very maneuverable at maximum speed(where time dilation affects crew response time), they tend to stay away from the thick of things.

Hikyakus are occasionally used as commercial scouts and search and rescue vessels, as they can quickly cover large areas of normal space. Paladin Steel/Aegis Stellar Industries maintains a ‘runner circuit’ of these ships throughout their commercial empire, waiting to dash at a moment’s notice to relay important messages.

Type: PSS/ASI-DS-15 Hikyaku
Class: Heavy Space Scout/Courier
Crew: 30, plus 1-7 additional passengers
MDC/Armor by Location:
Main Body 11,000
Bridge 5,000
Main Engines(2) 4,000 each
Heavy Laser Batteries(2) 500 each
Point Defense Lasers(10) 100 each
Variable Forcefield 2,000 per side, 12,000 total

Height: 120 ft
Width: 120 ft
Length: 400 ft
Weight: 5,000 tons
Cargo: 300 tons
*External Cargo Racks(2)---The Hikyaku can carry external cargo in the form of modules identical to those carried by the Brunel-class heavy transports. Each rack can hold 400 tons of cargo poddage. However, this capability is rarely ever used by couriers, unless delivering ‘drop pod’ cargos, as the added mass reduces performance by as much as 10%. Scientific and scout-recon Hikyakus typically use these for sensor pods, or to deploy decoys and surveillance sats.

Powerplant: Nuclear Fusion, w/ 20 year energy life
Speed: (Atmosphere) Hover to Mach 3; transatmospheric.
(Space) Mach 20
(Kitsune Values: 60% of light speed; Accelerates/decelerates at 2% of light speed per melee)
(FTL) 6.6 light years per hour
(Underwater) Not possible
Market Cost: 415 million credits
Systems of Note:
*Full Sensor Suite---Specialized sensor pallets include radiation detectors and counters, spectrographic analysis devices, gravitic sensors, electromagnetic activity readers, and optics packages.
*Long Range Radar---Phased Array Search and Early Warning Radars
Maximum Target Resolution: 1.3 million miles
*Laser Targeting-------100,000 miles
*Communications Suite:---Long Range Radio and Video. Hikyakus use high-compression directional tight-beam ‘squirt’ systems to transmit highly-encrypted data to target receivers to minimize the chance of signal interception.
*Laser Communications ---Tactical (i.e. ship-to fighter/shuttle)Range: 50,000 miles

*Optical Tracking Clusters----These are transparent blisters fitted with gimbal-mounted high-resolution visible-light/IR/UV optical telescopes that continually scan the arc of sky before them. Linked to the navigational arrays and other tracking sensors, and to a series of highly-sophisticated near-AI search and discrimination software systems, these sensors attempt to detect objects that have low radar returns/sensor signatures, such as stealthed vehicles, iceballs, or asteroids. The high-tech equivalent of the man in the crow’s nest with a pair of binoculars.

*EW Jamming Systems---In combat, the Hikyaku will attempt to use its electronic warfare suite to confuse enemy sensors as to the ship’s exact position and activity, or, given the fact that the ship’s drive plume is obviously NOT going to be missed, deflect enemy targeting to fire at the energetic drive efflux, not the ship itself. Communications Jamming has a 10,000 mile range, is 90% effective against civilian systems, and is 65% effective against more sophisticated channel-jumping military communications suites. Missiles and sensor-guided weapons are -4 to strike.

*Passive Stealth Systems----The Hikyaku can use passive stealth systems to reduce its sensor signature by as much as 50%, but in order to achieve this, the ship cannot be under acceleration, and its engines must be running ‘cold’. This is typically used when the ship is being pursued and can break away long enough to go to ground ahead of an enemy, but cannot yet outrun them entirely.

*CAF Sensor Shielding----Purchased from CAF sources. Limits effective opposition sensor range to 4,000 miles or less.

*Self-Destruct Systems---It’s not particularly well-advertised, but couriers carry the means to electronically and mechanically destroy their databanks and ‘special’ cargoes to prevent them from falling into the wrong hands. The more extreme mission parameters may call for/provide for the entire SHIP being destroyed, rather than leave crew and onboard systems to be tortured and studied for information.

Weapons Systems:
1)Heavy Laser Batteries(2x2)---Mounted in twin turrets are two heavy twin-barrel laser cannon retained to destroy missiles and dissuade fighters and heavier warcraft from approaching too closely.
Range: 10 miles in atmosphere, 40 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 40 miles in atmosphere/ 40,000 miles in space)
Damage: 2d4x100 MD per single blast, 4d4x100 MD per double blast
Payload: Effectively unlimited

2)Point Defense Lasers(10)---- Arranged around the hull are ten standard laser PDS turrets for knocking down missiles and fighters. PS/ASI added the large number to the small starship to insure all-around coverage, and to allow at least two or more turrets to be able to come to bear on an incoming threat.
Range: 1 mile(4 miles in space)
(Kitsune Values: 4 miles in atmosphere/ 400 miles in space)
Damage: 2d6x10 MD per blast
Payload: Effectively unlimited

Auxiliary Craft:
One Light Shuttle(Lifeboat)

Variants:
*DS-15E---This is an even faster, harder-driving version, with accelerations so hard on the crew that PS/ASI only crews them with full-conversion cyborgs and cyberhumanoids able to survive the sustained 12-25 g-loads these ships can sometimes pull.
Speed: (Atmosphere) Hover to Mach 3; transatmospheric.
(Space) Mach 30
(Kitsune Values: 60% of light speed; Accelerates/decelerates at 0.9% of light speed per melee)
(FTL) 6.8 light years per hour

*DS-15F---To address concerns that the Hikyakus sacrifice too MUCH armament to focus on a specialized duty, PS/ASI rearmed a small number with cruise missile launchers, giving them SOME utility in striking against capital ships. These ‘torpedo couriers’ each have two 15-shot Cruise Missile Launchers of CCW pattern, for a total of 30 CMLs per ship, giving them some increased ‘bite’ against heavier opposition, such as capital ships.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
sagajr
Wanderer

Unread post by sagajr »

Nice design, but a little too fast for my taste (at least in the Three Galaxies). :ok:
taalismn
Priest

sagajr wrote:Nice design, but a little too fast for my taste (at least in the Three Galaxies). :ok:

It's supposed to be fast enough to rattle your TEETH, even with gravity compensation. :D

Yeah, I have lighter shipd doing courier work, but they're the equivalent of bicycle couriers....this is the front-line military dispatch rider in a fast armored car zipping between outposts in a combat zone.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

taalismn wrote:
sagajr wrote:Nice design, but a little too fast for my taste (at least in the Three Galaxies). :ok:

It's supposed to be fast enough to rattle your TEETH, even with gravity compensation. :D

Yeah, I have lighter shipd doing courier work, but they're the equivalent of bicycle couriers....this is the front-line military dispatch rider in a fast armored car zipping between outposts in a combat zone.

I have NO problems with the speed given, as it is SUPPOSED to be a courier, NOT a front-line combat vessel. :ok:

Leaves of the lotus rise

Veritas476
Adventurer

Unread post by Veritas476 »

Since Taalismn posted the PS/ASI Courier ship here, I thought that I'd post the Wildstorm Industries/Ragnarok Defensive Solutions analog.

"Sure Wildstorm Industries' Wild Weasel might be a touch faster, but if you want to make sure that your package gets to its destination intact then I recommend the PS/ASI ‘Hikyaku’ Heavy Scout/Courier. They can take more of a pounding than the Weasels, and have a better chance of getting your stuff there in one piece."
-- Marc Daemon, Turbo-Jock

Wild Weasel-class Blockade Runner
The Wild Weasel Blockade Runners are so named because of their small, fast and highly maneuverable design. They were built for when people needed to get small amounts of cargo somewhere fast.
This starship design uses modified starship speed and ranges. See Revised Starship Rules for Phase World for more details.

Model Type: WI-FFL-1527
Vehicle Type: Blockade Runner
Vehicle Class: Corvette
Crew: 10, plus 30 passengers

M.D.C. by Location:
Medium Particle Beam Cannons (2): 250 each
Medium-Range Missile Launchers (2): 110 each
Reinforced Pilot’s Cockpit: 1,200
[1] Main Body: 3,200
[2] Variable Force Fields: 1,450 per side (8,700 total)

Note:
1. Depleting the MDC of the main body will put the Blockade Runner out of commission. All internal systems will shut down, including life support and internal gravity. The fighter itself will be an unsalvageable floating wreck.
2. Shield positions can be varied and all could be combined in one shield. Shields regenerate at the rate of 5% (435 MDC total) per melee round.

Speed:
Driving on the Ground:
Not Possible (Blockade Runner can land on the ground).
Sublight: Has a special sublight engine that allows the ship to travel up to 60 percent of the speed of light. Cargo vessel can accelerate/decelerate at the rate of 1.5 percent of light per melee. (Palladium Standard: Mach 15)
Atmospheric Propulsion: Maximum Speed is Mach 4.5.
Stardrive: Uses a contra-gravity system that allows the blockade-runner to reach a maximum of 7 light years per hour.
Maximum Range: Effectively unlimited by drive system but only has supplies for six months.
Bonuses: The blockade-runners are designed for survivability and as such have a +3 bonus to dodge in addition to the pilot's skills.

Statistical Data:
Length:
150 feet (45.72 meters)
Height: 77.4 feet (23.59 meters)
Width: 85 feet (25.91 meters)
Weight: 875 tons (795.455 metric tons)
Power System: Advanced Micro Fusion with 30 year life span.
Cargo: 50 tons (45.5 metric tons), plus locker space for a rifle, handgun, small survival kit, signal flares, and a few other items for each crew member and passenger.
Market Cost: 500 million credits to construct. No ships of this design have ever been put on sale on the market. The Black Market or the Kreeghor would offer huge sums of money (2 Billion+ Credits) for an undamaged completely working ship.

Weapon Systems:
    Particle Beam Cannons (2): These cannons are mounted on the sides of the Blockade Runner and fire forward. They are marginally superior to the particle beam cannons used by the C.A.F. and the Kreeghor militaries. The cannons only fire individually if one of the cannons is destroyed.
      Range: 4 miles (6.4 km) in an atmosphere, and 400 miles (640 km) in space.
      Mega Damage: 2D4x100 for a combined shot from both cannons. If one cannon is destroyed, damage is reduced to 1D4x100.
      Rate of fire: Equal to gunner's hand-to-hand (Usually 4 or 5).
    Medium Range Missile Launchers (2): On the sides of the main body are medium range missile launchers mounted just outside the Particle Beam Cannons. Weapon system is used for hitting enemy robots, fighters, and missiles. Weapon system is also used for anti-cruise missile. Launchers can launch on multiple targets at the same time.
      Mega Damage & Properties: See Phase World Missiles for details (Medium Range Plasma/Napalm inflicts 4D6x10 MDC).
      Range: 160 miles (257.5 km) in an atmosphere and 80,000 miles (128,750 km/0.43 light seconds) in space.
      Rate of fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of 2, 4, 8, or 16 missiles.
      Payload: 16 medium range missiles (8 each launcher).
taalismn
Priest

"Yeah, but the Wild Weasel's more likely to be able to slip in and out unnoticed. And over galactic ranges it's got the legs to get there ahead of anything short of a wormhole or a space fold. Also, flying aboard a Weasel you're less likely to have to push your teeth out of the back of your throat at trip's end."
----Captain Karnagus Rexxan, Paladin Steel Express.
Last edited by taalismn on Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Veritas476
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:"Yeah, but the Wild Weasel's more likely to be able to slip in and out unnoticed. And over galactic ranges it's got the legs to get there ahead of anything short of a wormhole or a space fold. Also, flying aboard a Weasel you're less likely to have to push your teeth out of the back of your throat at trip's end."

Heh thanks I like it. Only one question. Who said it?
taalismn
Priest

Fixed. Check the quote now. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Veritas476
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:Fixed. Check the quote now. :D

Thanks Taalismn.
taalismn
Priest

Veritas476 wrote:
taalismn wrote:Fixed. Check the quote now. :D

Thanks Taalismn.

Hey, if PS can't build it themselves, they buy from others, And they buy SMART*.

*(That means subscriptions to -Guns and E-Clips-, -Megaversal Market Reviews-, and -Space and Starship-)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

That Cerebus class heavy frigate looks cool. I'm amazed at the detail on some of the deck plans here. Very good.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Bump. It has been awhile since I have been to this part of the forum. It is nice to see more things to add to our games. Thank you guys. Please keep them coming. I am working on ships for Merc fleet the "Spectral Winds."
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:Bump. It has been awhile since I have been to this part of the forum. It is nice to see more things to add to our games. Thank you guys. Please keep them coming. I am working on ships for Merc fleet the "Spectral Winds."

Glad to see you still around and kicking! You've been missed! :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I am sorry about not being around. I became an adopted uncle in the last year and it has helped. I do have some designs in the works including a pursuit battlecruiser, a pursuit light cruiser, Spinal mount destroyer, various cruise missile vessels, space defense cruiser and a series of monitors. (One destroyer, cruiser and a battlecruiser versions.)
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
sagajr
Wanderer

Unread post by sagajr »

Glad to see you again in this board Aramanthus!

I also made some new designs (but their descripiton is not yet finished so they are not yet placed in here). :D
One light, civilian modular ship design (in three different configuration - cargo, mobile hospital and patrol), one medium-light long range trader ship and finally the predecessor of the famous Warshield cruiser (a little lighter, with less durability and firepower, smaller fighter capacity, nearly the same sizes - based on the canon not the one suggested by the picture in PWSB).

The civilian ship's deckplans are finished but their description... You can see their pictures in my photostream on flickr, http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/with/7548803736/#photo_7548803736 . The large containers in the capacious are the standard cargo cans described in the Three Galaxies, while the smaller ones are the micro cans and finally the smallests are cargo crates - their size is 2x2x5 feet.
The larger containers placed on the three smaller ships are micro cans - those ships cannot carry standard cans because their ceiling is 10 feet high while the ceiling of the capacious is 12 feet high.
Last edited by sagajr on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”