Heroes Unlimited Steampunk Style!

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Heroes Unlimited Steampunk Style!

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Gryphon Chick wrote:A lot of Steampunk machines are designed that way, with a lot of clockwork parts exposed.

Definitely Not OSHA approved.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

As in, you don't see any safety guards on gears, belts, and pulleys in steam punk mechanisms.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Nope, Steampunk technology definitely not very safe by our standards.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

gmapprentice wrote:alright then.
i wanna do a steampunk campaign.... or any campaign, really... but no one where i live plays these games except me!!!! :x :(

There is a thread on the boards called Gamers looking for other gamers. Otherwise I suggest going to the local gaming store and posting a notice you are looking for people.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Nope, Steampunk technology definitely not very safe by our standards.

Don't you mean "Correct, Steampunk technology definitely not very safe by our standards."
or "Right, Steampunk technology definitely not very safe by our standards."

Saying a Negative just before you say an agreement is not very coherent.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

:lol:
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Nope, Steampunk technology definitely not very safe by our standards.

Don't you mean "Correct, Steampunk technology definitely not very safe by our standards."
or "Right, Steampunk technology definitely not very safe by our standards."

Saying a Negative just before you say an agreement is not very coherent.

I was saying that, no, it is not very safe. That is incorrect grammar, though, so I will endeavor to be more coherent in the future.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

gmapprentice wrote:something tells me that you and i are the only ones here who care about proper grammar and similar things.

I care about proper grammar and don't really like being belittled over one grammatical error. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is perfect. And this is really interesting coming from you, since much of the time you simply use half sentences or expletives to express yourself.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

gmapprentice wrote:.......point taken. i'm sorry, sg.... please forgive me.......

You are forgiven, but just remember that just because someone else gets on my case about something does not mean you have to help them.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
gmapprentice wrote:something tells me that you and i are the only ones here who care about proper grammar and similar things.

I care about proper grammar and don't really like being belittled over one grammatical error. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is perfect. And this is really interesting coming from you, since much of the time you simply use half sentences or expletives to express yourself.

I was a literary major and still I wind up mistakenly using double negatives on occasion.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

TrumbachD wrote:
gmapprentice wrote:what's alleister crowley? is he the guy that song is about?

Don't feel bad dude, not many people know about him!
Alleister Crowley (Born 1875, died 1947) was one of the most famous modern Occult Practicioner's of the last couple hundred years. it's pretty hard to overstate his influence on modern occult practices today.
he was also important in the founding of the Order Of The Golden Dawn a very important occult group in this period that would make a great backdrop for Heroes from the Magic Category.
In HU Terms Crowley would definitely have been a strong candidate for Sorcerer Supreme in his day.

Actually Crowley was a self-proclaimed Satanist who was actually responsible for the original Order of the Golden Dawn's collapse, not founding it as you falsely mention. He did have a major influence, just some would debate whether it was a positive one or a negative one.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

TrumbachD wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
TrumbachD wrote:
gmapprentice wrote:what's alleister crowley? is he the guy that song is about?

Don't feel bad dude, not many people know about him!
Alleister Crowley (Born 1875, died 1947) was one of the most famous modern Occult Practicioner's of the last couple hundred years. it's pretty hard to overstate his influence on modern occult practices today.
he was also important in the founding of the Order Of The Golden Dawn a very important occult group in this period that would make a great backdrop for Heroes from the Magic Category.
In HU Terms Crowley would definitely have been a strong candidate for Sorcerer Supreme in his day.

Actually Crowley was a self-proclaimed Satanist who was actually responsible for the original Order of the Golden Dawn's collapse, not founding it as you falsely mention. He did have a major influence, just some would debate whether it was a positive one or a negative one.

All True. Crowley was a just the first "Period" name to come to mind.
Any other candidates for a prominent Magical Practitioner who might be a good rallying point for Good Heroes in the Magical Power Categories?

Well, Crowley was very much into study of Egyptian mysticism and the god Thoth and traveled a lot. As an NPC, he makes for one who kind of walks the line between good and evil. He would definitely be an abherrant alignment if writing him as an NPC.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The American prophet and clairvoyant Edgar Cayce was a successful photographer who gained a remarkable reputation as a faith healer. He saw visions of Atlantis when going into trance. Imagine a campaign where you have him and Captain Nemo (a character of Jules Verne in the steampunk genre) go looking for it.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

gmapprentice wrote:k then.

while the topics are changing a bit, has anyone here ever seen a ghost?

Actually, that would take us totally off topic and derail the thread. If you want to ask about that,find an appropriate area of the forum.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

gmapprentice wrote:sorry, sg.

that'd be interesting, going to atlantis (maybe)... also, while i don't know who these guys are (at least not yet), i AM familiar with jules verne... i read 20,000 leagues under the sea. in sixth grade.

Don't get me wrong,study of the paranormal and metaphysical and strange phenomena is a hobby of mine, there are just better places for it.

Another Steampunk style writer is H.G. Wells.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Yeah, vampires, monsters like Frankenstein and Mr.Hyde- those fit well into steampunk because of the time those books were written.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

gmapprentice wrote:that just leaves one, more, question.

how on earth do steampunk robots work???? am i the only one confused by that? working on steam power i can understand, but beyond that i'm at a loss. how do they know what they're doing or anything?

You know how a loom or player piano is told what to do by punch cards? Well, the idea is that a complex series of cards would tell the robot what to do and it would switch between the cards as need arises instead of programs on disc. The earliest computers were a mill system with pegs and punch cards.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

The 1800s were full of interesting people. Lots of travelling circuses and magicians, so you can definitely have at least one Stage Magician character like Harry Houdini.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
bigmac8583
Explorer

Unread post by bigmac8583 »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:I'll apologize in advance if this is perhaps the most ridiculous thing ever posted. The idea came to me around 4:30 am when I should have been sleeping, but was instead prowling the boards.

It was mentioned that in a Steampunk type setting there would be limited to no magic. Would there be enough to conjure/trap a fire and a water elemental together, along with some regenerative healing type magic and use them for an unlimited means of steam power?

A stretch I'm sure, but it would be a green energy source. No burning of coal or wood.

wouldn't that be like torture for the elementals? constantly damaging each other while unable to die. i think that they would be highly pissed if they ever got out. oh and isn't that kinda how nuclear power works, radioactive...thingy boiling water? i may be way off here
He shot his arrows and scattered the enemy, with great bolts of lightning he routed them.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I think there would be magic, and Techno-Wizardry could be used to create steam powered robots and bionics. you just have to look at steampunk in a more mystical light.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

TrumbachD wrote:
Prince Cherico wrote:Ive run steampunk campains using heros unlimited rules

Question: did you find it appropriate to modify the education table to account for the change in time period, since fewer people were formally educated?
Specifically, did you find it approriate to increase the percentage of the "Street Education' part of the table?

Why would you assume there would be less education? If anything, given the thirst for knowledge that goes along with Steampunk, I should think it would be MORE available. And consider the amount of knowledge required to construct steampunk machines; if you limit the education, you cut down on the amount of steampunk influence and saturation into the societal norm.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

TrumbachD wrote:Came across a Hardware: Chemical Genius in the black vault that should make a great Dr. Jekyll/any mad scientist type:
http://wiki.thedeificnmi.com/index.php? ... cal_Genius

You can thank AJ Pickett, aka ZEN, for originally posting that on the Powers Unlimited 2.5 site, wolfsgrin for giving me the file from the site that had been taken down at the time the wiki was compiled, and Zenvis for writing that Hardware category. You have no idea the trouble I went through finding and getting that stuff for inclusion in the wiki.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

No bodie have any ideas for Characters or secret society any more?
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Mario (the Marvel) Malzini
PC:Stage Magician

See that not so hard.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well here is ma take of Ameri Continents.
North and South Ameri was only discover 368 years ago,Big parts of it,s West are Unexplore.
North Ameri is Currently spit in 4 countries,the Albion,s colony Anada,the Union of Ameri states,the Consortium of Ameri states and Exico Republic.
2 years ago 11 southern states secede from Union and fromed the Consortium over Slavery and other problems and start a Civil War,one day a Plague came and whie out 50% of the Consortium,s slaves,Albion forces a Peace treaty and now ther is a cold war between them.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

No one have a Better idea?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

bump* Pushing this back to the top since my steampunk campaign might finally get started.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

TrumbachD wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
TrumbachD wrote:Came across a Hardware: Chemical Genius in the black vault that should make a great Dr. Jekyll/any mad scientist type:
http://wiki.thedeificnmi.com/index.php? ... cal_Genius

You can thank AJ Pickett, aka ZEN, for originally posting that on the Powers Unlimited 2.5 site, wolfsgrin for giving me the file from the site that had been taken down at the time the wiki was compiled, and Zenvis for writing that Hardware category. You have no idea the trouble I went through finding and getting that stuff for inclusion in the wiki.

OMG, SG :shock:
Thanks so much :angel:

I did wind up using the Hardware: Medical Genius for my NPC named Vincent Hugo, my Eugenics expert at the asylum where the campaign begins.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Good idea
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Captain Nemo can be a hardware:Mechanical genius with a focus on Subs.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I was watching Mutant Chronicles on Blue Ray earlier and I immediately thought of Steam Punk.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Snowtiger wrote:
A'Zule wrote:Imagine playing a steam powered robot with an analog (clockwork) brain? I guess that would be basic intelligence at it's most basic... Or how about a transplanted brain in a steam-bot body?

Clockwork brain, functional, but the bot would be dumb as a doornail,

No, it would outfox Sherlock Holmes and cure cancer.

I mean, more seriously, "clockworkmen" can be an intelligent as they need to be.
If you don't find them plausible you can always claim they're secretly animated by Steampunk Techno Wizards summoning/binding an entity or elemental fragment or something similar {secretly} during their construction.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:I'll apologize in advance if this is perhaps the most ridiculous thing ever posted. The idea came to me around 4:30 am when I should have been sleeping, but was instead prowling the boards.

It was mentioned that in a Steampunk type setting there would be limited to no magic. Would there be enough to conjure/trap a fire and a water elemental together, along with some regenerative healing type magic and use them for an unlimited means of steam power?

A stretch I'm sure, but it would be a green energy source. No burning of coal or wood.

Actually, have a steam elemetal would be more 'realistic' than having ice elementals, which are canon.
Rather than bizzarely combining "opposing elements" ala Rifts "elemetal Fusion/FUries" whatever their called, just combine two complimentary elements like water and air.
hot, wet Dry, and Cold were the propperties that combined/combine to make the four "classical" elements.FIre was Hot/dry, Earth=Dry/COld, Water=COld/wet, Air=Wet/Hot.
Following that logic, steam elementals could actually be a subgroup of air elementals, rather than water.
In any case, Steam Elementals(or ParaElementals?) themselves might power some "steam tech" especially with "Steam Techno-Wizardry".
OF course binding elementals means a whole lot of unhappy elementals, and basing your civilizations technology of magic is tricky at best....
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”