Energy Field vs Missles.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: Energy Field vs Missles.

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Balabanto wrote:Well, assuming Dog of War is correct, then the artificial construction part of his argument means roll a modified 12. That's it. No penalties for MPH, because you're shooting at a large number of targets, but you roll a modified 12 to shoot the missiles down.

Nonetheless, you can't cast a spell when it's not your action, so that part of the argument is irrelevant. Otherwise, why bother? Just cast Armor Bizarre when you see the missiles function. As soon as he locks his sights on you, he makes a horror factor test. That's why it's illegal to do things like this unless it's stated in the power description.

yes, but if you can spend an action shooting the missiles before they get to you, it's reasonable to expect that you can also spend an action doing other (single-action) stuff as well, such as casting a level 1-5 spell... in this case, energy field, so that the missiles strike far enough away from you to not hit you with their blast radius, for example.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Shark_Force wrote:
Balabanto wrote:Well, assuming Dog of War is correct, then the artificial construction part of his argument means roll a modified 12. That's it. No penalties for MPH, because you're shooting at a large number of targets, but you roll a modified 12 to shoot the missiles down.

Nonetheless, you can't cast a spell when it's not your action, so that part of the argument is irrelevant. Otherwise, why bother? Just cast Armor Bizarre when you see the missiles function. As soon as he locks his sights on you, he makes a horror factor test. That's why it's illegal to do things like this unless it's stated in the power description.

yes, but if you can spend an action shooting the missiles before they get to you, it's reasonable to expect that you can also spend an action doing other (single-action) stuff as well, such as casting a level 1-5 spell... in this case, energy field, so that the missiles strike far enough away from you to not hit you with their blast radius, for example.

Very well said. Why is it ok to "Shoot" at the missles .. but NOT .. ok to cast a single action spell between you an the incomming missles ?

Is it because it would in effect negate the missles and thus negate the debat ?
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

Balabanto wrote:Well, technically, the MPH is where you get the 12, so let me correct myself on that. Joe Mini-Missile, which is what we usually talk about, carries a -10 penalty for moving at 500 MPH, and a -1 for the base. That's 11. So, assuming that you're not shooting wild, that's the lowest you can get, if you have sharpshooting.

You're forgetting the "head-sized targets get a -3 in addition to other penalties" rule.

EDIT: You're also forgetting the base number of 8. So in essence you need a 22 with bonuses to hit the slowest mini-missile there is.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Dog_O_War wrote:
Balabanto wrote:Well, technically, the MPH is where you get the 12, so let me correct myself on that. Joe Mini-Missile, which is what we usually talk about, carries a -10 penalty for moving at 500 MPH, and a -1 for the base. That's 11. So, assuming that you're not shooting wild, that's the lowest you can get, if you have sharpshooting.

You're forgetting the "head-sized targets get a -3 in addition to other penalties" rule.

EDIT: You're also forgetting the base number of 8. So in essence you need a 22 with bonuses to hit the slowest mini-missile there is.

In the case of placing a Energy Field in front of the mini missles. You do not need to "HIT" the mini missles, mearly be able to place the field up in time an since it is a 1 action spell as a GM. I would allow them to attempt to get it off.
:)

Return to “Rifts®”