Dragon Teleportation

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hotrod
Knight

Re: Dragon Teleportation

Unread post by Hotrod »

A strict interpretation would be zero cost, since the dragon spends no PPE on it. Another reasonable approach would be to base the PPE cost on how the shifter chooses to redirect the teleport. A local teleport could based on a lesser spell and so on.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Killer Cyborg wrote:The wording is a bit vague, but the common interpretation is essentially what Rat Bastard said, that a mage can read a scroll aloud, and have a small chance of learning the spell.

This is coming up in another discussion, and I see it differently. I'd probably make the scroll be consumed if he 'gets it' when translating the scroll, but translating something does not require that it be read aloud.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Zamion138 wrote:The spell force bonds i belive stops teleportation , and is not ultra high level or 3k in ppe costs.

Having 6 scrolls of barriaer of toth is a huge exspense. Isnt it a spell of legend? That would make the scroll well over a million each.

You only need 4 scrolls. Look at your 4-sided die to understand why.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Subjugator wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:The wording is a bit vague, but the common interpretation is essentially what Rat Bastard said, that a mage can read a scroll aloud, and have a small chance of learning the spell.

This is coming up in another discussion, and I see it differently. I'd probably make the scroll be consumed if he 'gets it' when translating the scroll, but translating something does not require that it be read aloud.

/Sub

IIRC, the scroll would be consumed whether the mage is successful or not.
Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

That is correct, according to the rulebook beside me, but I could have sworn I read a different explanation somewhere as well.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Eashamahel wrote:That is correct, according to the rulebook beside me, but I could have sworn I read a different explanation somewhere as well.

Mysteries of Magic, page 58, and PFRPG, page 105 both state that once the words are read the scroll disappears, even if the conversion fails. That's where I'm getting it from.

I remember having read the rule, I just couldn't remember which setting I got it from.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

The solution is in the NightBain/Nightspawn books.....just con one into your private Dimentional portal......and set it to not allow Dimentional teliports or any other powers ...then stay out... as long as you dont die or go back in with it its stuck.
冠双
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

What my merc group did was make a point of hitting the dragon with tracking devices while fighting him, when he teleported away to lick his wounds under a ley line we activated some missle launchers whick targeted the trackers and he was obliterated by a couple dozen lrms.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Drakenred®™© wrote:The solution is in the NightBain/Nightspawn books.....just con one into your private Dimentional portal......and set it to not allow Dimentional teliports or any other powers ...then stay out... as long as you dont die or go back in with it its stuck.

You do relise the dragon will out live your night bane by a long shot. All you did is give it a safe nap.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Blue_Lion wrote:
Drakenred®™© wrote:The solution is in the NightBain/Nightspawn books.....just con one into your private Dimentional portal......and set it to not allow Dimentional teliports or any other powers ...then stay out... as long as you dont die or go back in with it its stuck.

You do relise the dragon will out live your night bane by a long shot. All you did is give it a safe nap.

Actually, nightbane live just as long as dragons, if not longer.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Panomas wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

Actually, your right!- :P

Realy so you think that your night bane running around getting in fights will outlive a dragon. The dragon does not need to eat so he just takes a nap, your night bane is still in rifts where lots of things can kill him.
Arnt night banes people born with abilties to fight supernatural? I was not aware they lived forever, but then I don't play that game.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Blue_Lion wrote:
Panomas wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

Actually, your right!- :P

Realy so you think that your night bane running around getting in fights will outlive a dragon. The dragon does not need to eat so he just takes a nap, your night bane is still in rifts where lots of things can kill him.
Arnt night banes people born with abilties to fight supernatural? I was not aware they lived forever, but then I don't play that game.

just because they can die dosn't necessarly mean they will in this particular case ;)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

besides if you die why would you care? odds are the pocket Dimention will be linked to 2-3 other people. or heck trick the Dragon into linking to it as well while you create it then just add the time stop power on them and or you and not the dragon and set it so they cant get out either.
冠双
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Razzinold wrote:You could try DU rounds. They won't stop the dragon from teleporting but I know it wouldn't be able to heal itself until each round was removed. Maybe it would be distracted enough/in enough pain to just focus on getting the rounds out of it's body.

That would be the U-rounds; DU rounds just do more damage.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Drakenred®™© wrote:besides if you die why would you care? odds are the pocket Dimention will be linked to 2-3 other people. or heck trick the Dragon into linking to it as well while you create it then just add the time stop power on them and or you and not the dragon and set it so they cant get out either.

From what I remember of the rules you generally can't set up special stuff that will affect a member who contributed PPE to the construction of an Astral Domain, those who're considered contributors like that are exempt from such things unless it's a realm condition affecting everyone (such as a specific physical law that you need to exempt yourself from for added cost). You'd have to burn a lot of building points in any case for such a stunt to succeed, a sacrifice of a lot of your permanent PPE base.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.

Return to “Rifts®”