The in setting reasoning behind the new generation ships

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Re: The in setting reasoning behind the new generation ships

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

Alrik Vas wrote:So, all said and done, the "in setting" reason for the UEEF ships is...

They don't have enough tech left to steal from someone else, and this is all they could come up with on their own.
Problem is They came up with better in 2009... so they never had to steal from someone else...
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Alrik Vas wrote:So, all said and done, the "in setting" reason for the UEEF ships is...

They don't have enough tech left to steal from someone else, and this is all they could come up with on their own.

The 'in-setting' reason is that they were designed for different jobs than the straight-up warship/carrier types of Southern Cross. The Garfish would appear to be the primary anti-mecha platform with the tri-barreled dorsal beam cannon capable of (relatively) rapid fire (The Invid Invasion) and x6 anti-mecha missile tubes (Ghost Town). The Ikazuchi and IZUM-10's tri-barreled ventral beam cannons are there to clear the way of Invid transports (which they are shown to do quite well against in Symphony of Light) and maybe provide Orbit-to-Surface supporting fire.

People seem to have this inane notion that everything should be geared to Anti-Warship fire. At least in Robotech, there may be (and I do stress may be) little reason to fear the REF stumbling on a flotilla of Zentraedi ships. The idea is to tailor your forces to best counter the enemy you're fighting at the moment.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:The 'in-setting' reason is that they were designed for different jobs than the straight-up warship/carrier types of Southern Cross.

Actually, Alrik has the truth of it per AotSC and the Masters Saga source book. The post-war human ships were built around salvaged Zentradi systems... most notably fold drives and reflex furances. (That the Tristar-class is built around a salvaged Zentradi reflex furnace is stated on pg163 of the Masters Saga manga source book.) AotSC provides that humanity had great difficulty replicating feats of robotechnology such as fold engines with any reliability.

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:The Garfish would appear to be the primary anti-mecha platform with the tri-barreled dorsal beam cannon capable of (relatively) rapid fire (The Invid Invasion) and x6 anti-mecha missile tubes (Ghost Town).

Which are shown to be pretty rubbish against the Inbit/Invid, like the other starship-based weaponry.

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:The Ikazuchi and IZUM-10's tri-barreled ventral beam cannons are there to clear the way of Invid transports (which they are shown to do quite well against in Symphony of Light) and maybe provide Orbit-to-Surface supporting fire.

But only there... curiously enough. That they're sufficient to score kills on Inbit/Invid transports, which are armored with sugar wafers and wishful thinking, is not a ringing endorsement. That they're designed in such a way to be blind across the ship's entire port quarter, and anything belong horizontal on the upper hull isn't a great idea either.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Gryphon wrote:My favorite has to be the Uranium Oxide glazing on the Red Fiesta flatware from the 40s through 70s. Sure it was low enough to not be a threat, but the idea still boggles really!

:eek:
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Gryphon wrote:My favorite has to be the Uranium Oxide glazing on the Red Fiesta flatware from the 40s through 70s. Sure it was low enough to not be a threat, but the idea still boggles really!

Huh... maybe the real reason behind the UEDF/UEEF warship designs after the 1st Robotech War is a diet fairly heavy in pineapple in the design bureau.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”