Oh my god, they killed the Cap!

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:Well, it helps if a company can stay in business. It's hard to kill Superman on the chance that Jimmy the Genius might generate as much revenue.

That's where Larsen gets a leg up on Marvel or DC. He's much cheaper to maintain.

Well, image has a harder time getting their books out on time, also, due to each creator keeping their own schedule. With marvel's flock of artists, at least they have talent keeping the books going.

I didn't mean it in an Image vs. Marvel thing so much as a Larsen versus Marvel thing. He's much cheaper to run than a major corporation. :)
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Yes, DC is trying to maintain a current stable by giving their heroes new identities and having new people take over the old mantles. But they are much older than Timely/Marvel and actually had a greater number of continuity problems resulting in multiple universes which were supposedly eliminated and merged in Crisis on IE, but they keep going back to that method when their stories go awry time and again.

Personally, I just wish their new batch didn't smack so much of Equal Opportunity Super Heroics.

I love the new Mr. Terrific. He's a fantastic character who just happens to be black.

Everyone else in the last two years however? Their race or gender really seems to come first.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Marrowlight wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:Well, it helps if a company can stay in business. It's hard to kill Superman on the chance that Jimmy the Genius might generate as much revenue.

That's where Larsen gets a leg up on Marvel or DC. He's much cheaper to maintain.

Well, image has a harder time getting their books out on time, also, due to each creator keeping their own schedule. With marvel's flock of artists, at least they have talent keeping the books going.

I didn't mean it in an Image vs. Marvel thing so much as a Larsen versus Marvel thing. He's much cheaper to run than a major corporation. :)

Um, yeah, single book vs. whole line. But erik is also the publisher at image, or was at my last notice.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Marrowlight
Knight

Uncle Servo wrote:It's an uneasy balance to maintain, and a balance that ultimately fails to satisfy everyone no matter how they tip the scales.

Exactly. While I personally don't appreciate Quesada calling old school readers like me cows to be put out to pasture, at least he's made his decision. Marvel doesn't care about continuity anymore, and they don't care about fans who do. It sucks, but it is the call they've made. They're totally in "in the moment" publishing these days, and they're fine with it.

You can't even please half of the people half of the time, so you might as well please yourself, y'know?

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Marrowlight wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Yes, DC is trying to maintain a current stable by giving their heroes new identities and having new people take over the old mantles. But they are much older than Timely/Marvel and actually had a greater number of continuity problems resulting in multiple universes which were supposedly eliminated and merged in Crisis on IE, but they keep going back to that method when their stories go awry time and again.

Personally, I just wish their new batch didn't smack so much of Equal Opportunity Super Heroics.

I love the new Mr. Terrific. He's a fantastic character who just happens to be black.

Everyone else in the last two years however? Their race or gender really seems to come first.

Well, marvel also seems to be making a great deal of their characters gay to appeal to that audience. Someone recently told me they did that to ice man. When will it end?
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Marrowlight
Knight

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Um, yeah, single book vs. whole line. But erik is also the publisher at image, or was at my last notice.

Correct, but for most of Savage Dragon's lifespan he wasn't.

But there's a point to that too. He is just a single book -- it allows him creative freedom that no line can ever have if they want to stay a multi million dollar company.

Look at how badly the Clone Saga backfired for Marvel. Sure it coincided with the end of the speculator market....but in some of their key spidey books sales dropped to 1/10th of what they were before the whole thing started.

Taking a 90% sales loss will cause a company to really question what kind of risks it can take.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Marrowlight wrote:
Uncle Servo wrote:It's an uneasy balance to maintain, and a balance that ultimately fails to satisfy everyone no matter how they tip the scales.

Exactly. While I personally don't appreciate Quesada calling old school readers like me cows to be put out to pasture, at least he's made his decision. Marvel doesn't care about continuity anymore, and they don't care about fans who do. It sucks, but it is the call they've made. They're totally in "in the moment" publishing these days, and they're fine with it.

You can't even please half of the people half of the time, so you might as well please yourself, y'know?

That is only one of the reasons I tend to not read their stuff much anymore.
Marrowlight
Knight

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Well, marvel also seems to be making a great deal of their characters gay to appeal to that audience. Someone recently told me they did that to ice man. When will it end?

Did they finally out him? I've always disagreed with that (widely held by fans) belief that he was gay and just dating all those women to cover it. But, pfft, whatever.

I don't mean so much revelations of a character as "removing a character and immediately replacing him with a legacy version that just happens to also coincidentally be black/hispanic/whatever"

Asian Atom, Hispanic Blue Beetle, Female Question, Black Firestorm, all in the last couple of years and that's just off the top of my head.

Marrowlight
Knight

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:

Same here. I didn't put the effort into learning 40 years of marvel history just to sit idly by when their EIC decides none of it matters anymore because having to know your history gets in the way of telling good stories today. If you can't find a writer who can tell a good story without ignoring everything that ever happened, find another writer. Plenty of them out there, they just don't have hit tv shows.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Marrowlight wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Correct, but for most of Savage Dragon's lifespan he wasn't.

But there's a point to that too. He is just a single book -- it allows him creative freedom that no line can ever have if they want to stay a multi million dollar company.

Look at how badly the Clone Saga backfired for Marvel. Sure it coincided with the end of the speculator market....but in some of their key spidey books sales dropped to 1/10th of what they were before the whole thing started.

Taking a 90% sales loss will cause a company to really question what kind of risks it can take.

Erik and Todd held out when many of the other image people sold out or left. You have to give them their propers for that. Even if Larsen does do an aquaman and hulk book now and then, which is another reason why his books were shipping late for a while.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Marrowlight wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:

Same here. I didn't put the effort into learning 40 years of marvel history just to sit idly by when their EIC decides none of it matters anymore because having to know your history gets in the way of telling good stories today. If you can't find a writer who can tell a good story without ignoring everything that ever happened, find another writer. Plenty of them out there, they just don't have hit tv shows.

This is why the independents and smaller companies have become popular among old readers such as ourselves. They maintain the old flavor and try to keep the genre alive for those of us who love it.
Marrowlight
Knight

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Erik and Todd held out when many of the other image people sold out or left. You have to give them their propers for that. Even if Larsen does do an aquaman and hulk book now and then, which is another reason why his books were shipping late for a while.

Oh I'm not taking anything away from Larsen. I feel he got a real raw deal in the whole Aquaman Scenario -- and the hostility between him and PAD really hasn't helped his career much with the big two (Nova canceled before issue 3 was even on the shelves, what kind of crap was that?) but still, you can't deny, he can take more chances than the big two can.

He can always come up with another successful book -- his name alone can almost guarantee that. Marvel can't necessarily come up with another Spider-Man however.

Marrowlight
Knight

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
This is why the independents and smaller companies have become popular among old readers such as ourselves. They maintain the old flavor and try to keep the genre alive for those of us who love it.

If more indy companies didn't have the attention span of a five year old with add I'd buy more. But, I've just honestly been burned one time too many. It takes a lot for me to buy an indy book these days.

Of course it takes a lot for me to buy a book period, but that's just a reflection on the prices of the market.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Marrowlight wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Erik and Todd held out when many of the other image people sold out or left. You have to give them their propers for that. Even if Larsen does do an aquaman and hulk book now and then, which is another reason why his books were shipping late for a while.

Oh I'm not taking anything away from Larsen. I feel he got a real raw deal in the whole Aquaman Scenario -- and the hostility between him and PAD really hasn't helped his career much with the big two (Nova canceled before issue 3 was even on the shelves, what kind of crap was that?) but still, you can't deny, he can take more chances than the big two can.

He can always come up with another successful book -- his name alone can almost guarantee that. Marvel can't necessarily come up with another Spider-Man however.

Yes, having met Erik at a comics convention, I can tell you he is also very encouraging towards newer artists, where many of the bigger companies ignore new talent and even are discouraraging at times.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Marrowlight wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

If more indy companies didn't have the attention span of a five year old with add I'd buy more. But, I've just honestly been burned one time too many. It takes a lot for me to buy an indy book these days.

Of course it takes a lot for me to buy a book period, but that's just a reflection on the prices of the market.

Hard to believe that when marvel books came out, they sold for a quarter.
Marrowlight
Knight

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:

Yes, having met Erik at a comics convention, I can tell you he is also very encouraging towards newer artists, where many of the bigger companies ignore new talent and even are discouraraging at times.

Well, really, these days they have to be.

We can pretty much thank that douche who tried to sue DC because a Superman Elseworlds sounded like something he had sent in as an unsolicited pitch.

Sheesh, a Superman Elseworlds that sounds similar to something? Holy Cow....because those are always chock full of originality.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Marrowlight wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Did they finally out him? I've always disagreed with that (widely held by fans) belief that he was gay and just dating all those women to cover it. But, pfft, whatever.

I don't mean so much revelations of a character as "removing a character and immediately replacing him with a legacy version that just happens to also coincidentally be black/hispanic/whatever"

Asian Atom, Hispanic Blue Beetle, Female Question, Black Firestorm, all in the last couple of years and that's just off the top of my head.

It does get a bit tiresome. The books were originally predominantly white, but there were other racial references. They are becoming rampant now, however.
Marrowlight
Knight

I don't mind diversity. I applaud it. I understand why most super heroes are white (because most writers and up till about a decade ago artists were white and a lot of folks are sketchy about portraying things they aren't. same goes with women) and I love the concept and in many cases the execution of increased diversity.

With that said, I cannot nor will I ever approve of the concept of killing a hero just so you can pimp out their name and connect it to a more minority friendly character.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Marrowlight wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:

Well, really, these days they have to be.

We can pretty much thank that douche who tried to sue DC because a Superman Elseworlds sounded like something he had sent in as an unsolicited pitch.

Sheesh, a Superman Elseworlds that sounds similar to something? Holy Cow....because those are always chock full of originality.

There is a difference between guarded and rude and careful and discouraging.
As for Elseworlds, cool idea, poor execution.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Marrowlight wrote:I don't mind diversity. I applaud it. I understand why most super heroes are white (because most writers and up till about a decade ago artists were white and a lot of folks are sketchy about portraying things they aren't. same goes with women) and I love the concept and in many cases the execution of increased diversity.

With that said, I cannot nor will I ever approve of the concept of killing a hero just so you can pimp out their name and connect it to a more minority friendly character.

If there were more creator control, you would see less of that. But because they are ideas owned by a company, they feel free to ru(i)n the characters in any way they see fit.
Marrowlight
Knight

Stone Gargoyle wrote:There is a difference between guarded and rude and careful and discouraging.

Think another way then....what job of Larsen's are you gonna take if you break into the industry? The wage slave exclusive editor/writer/artist for DC otoh doesn't want you anywhere near him

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Marrowlight wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:There is a difference between guarded and rude and careful and discouraging.

Think another way then....what job of Larsen's are you gonna take if you break into the industry? The wage slave exclusive editor/writer/artist for DC otoh doesn't want you anywhere near him

I have drawn comics since I was a kid and have a very cartoony style which many publishers shy away from. I get told that if I learn how to draw things like every other idiot out there, maybe I can insert my style later on when I become famous. Larsen publishes creator work that is not typical. But unless you self-publish, even some of the ones like image can seem to be wage slavers, especially since now many of them are going the way of the other companies and limiting free liscensing.
Marrowlight
Knight

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:

I have drawn comics since I was a kid and have a very cartoony style which many publishers shy away from. I get told that if I learn how to draw things like every other idiot out there, maybe I can insert my style later on when I become famous. Larsen publishes creator work that is not typical. But unless you self-publish, even some of the ones like image can seem to be wage slavers, especially since now many of them are going the way of the other companies and limiting free liscensing.

Well, if you really want to do it -- do what it takes.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Marrowlight wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:

Well, if you really want to do it -- do what it takes.

The difficulty right now lies in a situation where I am homeless and with limited resources, which is again why I apologize if sometimes I seem heavily frustrated. Hence the boredom and the free time.
I am definitely planning to get it going again, possibly trying to get materials into the Rifter soon. My art is better than most I saw published in issue 37.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Marrowlight wrote:

No, :( I mean they did go and have Northstar have a crush on him.
But NOOoooooo, he had to stay straight. :)

Please don't insult her.
Renee Montoya is actually a GOOD character, who just happens to be a lesbian.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Marrowlight
Knight

Sir_Spiri+ wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:

Please don't insult her.

I never made an issue about her being a lesbian.

I couldn't care less about that.

I do care that they offed the Question to make a female one -- and they tainted her in the process by making her party to all this.

Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

Marrowlight wrote:

I will definitely say this about "the industry..." if you have ANY problem with rejection whatsoever, stay out of it. The big companies get so many unsolicited submissions the best you can hope for is a brief glance at a convention -- and even then they get so many that the best you can expect is a quick one-line critique, such as "work on your anatomy" or "too much crosshatching."

My personal favorite one-line critique came from Richard Pini when he looked over my portfolio and said "it's good, but it's not Elfquest" -- that's when I realized that most companies don't really care about your style so much as they want to know if you can draw in theirs. Can't say as I really blame them though; it's their product they're trying to promote and maintain after all.
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
Marrowlight
Knight

Uncle Servo wrote:"too much crosshatching."

If only that had stopped Liefeld, all those years ago.... :)

Uncle Servo
Champion

Marrowlight wrote:

Apparenly failing the figure drawing class didn't either... :nh:
Marrowlight
Knight

Uncle Servo wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:

I can live with grossly deformed figures. Most comic art is that anyway, just in a way that turns some people on.....but the backgrounds or lack thereof really bugged me. :)

Uncle Servo
Champion

Marrowlight wrote:
Uncle Servo wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:

I can live with grossly deformed figures. Most comic art is that anyway, just in a way that turns some people on.....but the backgrounds or lack thereof really bugged me. :)

As a colorist, the lack of a background doesn't bother me all that much... actually, I kinda prefer it as it allows me to help convey mood with a background color or "set off" the figure with a sublte texture. I can also drop in a photo background if I need to.

And yes, it's also quicker when I don't have to color a background as well. :ok:
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The move towards anime has improved my chances with getting noticed.
It is not so much a matter of wanting to be published as a deal where I create the stuff and it would be nice to get paid for what I enjoy. The hard nature of it has kept me out of it for a long time. I don't want to draw their style, most of which evolved from Jack Kirby, whose style and mine could not be more different.
I have recently done a gallery show of my work which got good attention. :)
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Marrowlight wrote:
Sir_Spiri+ wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:

Please don't insult her.

I do care that they offed the Question to make a female one -- and they tainted her in the process by making her party to all this.

Why is does her gender matter?
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Marrowlight
Knight

Sir_Spiri+ wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:
Sir_Spiri+ wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:

Please don't insult her.

Why is does her gender matter?

Because she's being used in DC's slaughter to diversify campaign? Are you even reading these things before posting?

Marrowlight
Knight

Quesada has already debunked that lil slip up.

Uncle Servo
Champion

Alejandro wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:Quesada has already debunked that lil slip up.

Which is why you NEVER listen to Ms. Marvel

More like why we should NEVER listen to Marvel in general... :nh:
MASTERMIND
Adventurer
Comment: I game... Therefore I am...

Unread post by MASTERMIND »

On the death of Cap issue did anyone watch Adult Swim last night on Cartoon Network? They commented on Captain America's death saying Marvel are idiots and they should avoid making deep statements because, "It's a <insert word of choice> comic book!" They finished the blog with a comment about leaving comic book deep statements to Neil Gaimon, a point I actually agree with. My wife and I thought it was pretty funny so I thought I would share.
Marrowlight
Knight

MASTERMIND wrote:On the death of Cap issue did anyone watch Adult Swim last night on Cartoon Network? They commented on Captain America's death saying Marvel are idiots and they should avoid making deep statements because, "It's a <insert word of choice> comic book!" They finished the blog with a comment about leaving comic book deep statements to Neil Gaimon, a point I actually agree with. My wife and I thought it was pretty funny so I thought I would share.

Someone at Cartoon Network a Gaimainite? Who would've thought it. I swear, I'd pay money for the world to go one year without people constantly jumping on his jock.

MASTERMIND
Adventurer

Marrowlight wrote:
MASTERMIND wrote:On the death of Cap issue did anyone watch Adult Swim last night on Cartoon Network? They commented on Captain America's death saying Marvel are idiots and they should avoid making deep statements because, "It's a <insert word of choice> comic book!" They finished the blog with a comment about leaving comic book deep statements to Neil Gaimon, a point I actually agree with. My wife and I thought it was pretty funny so I thought I would share.

Someone at Cartoon Network a Gaimainite? Who would've thought it. I swear, I'd pay money for the world to go one year without people constantly jumping on his jock.

He's a great writer. Can't blame people for being fans of a great writer. :P
Marrowlight
Knight

MASTERMIND wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:

Sure I can. When your argument is "no one in the entire industry of comics should be able to say something deep but gaiman" I'm going to blame you of a lot of things. ;)

Uncle Servo
Champion

Marrowlight wrote:
MASTERMIND wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:

Sure I can. When your argument is "no one in the entire industry of comics should be able to say something deep but gaiman" I'm going to blame you of a lot of things. ;)

"Coming up after the commercial break, Marrowlight blames MASTERMIND's man-crush on Neil Gaiman for the high price of gasoline..." :lol:
MASTERMIND
Adventurer

*sigh*

That statement was not meant to be taken literally Marrowlight. :P

My point is Neil Gaiman is a great writer and great writers have fans. You may not be a fan and that is fine but you can't have angst against someone who is a fan. Mark Millar has fans but I dislike the guy but I don't have anything against his fans.

EDIT: Edited because my original post was inflammatory and I did not mean for it to be.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Wait, Gaiman is in England, so how is he to blame for the high price of gasoline in America? :-P
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Alejandro wrote:
clinto1022 wrote:Um i don't mean to get back on topic, but Captain America isn't Dead. Did anyone else pick up "Civil War the Initiative". In it there is a story about Ms. Marvel talking to Spider-woman, Jessica, aka Spider woman, is freaking out on Carol "Captain America is dead", "He's Not.....Hes tucked away on the raft. no one knows. NO ONE." They;re trying to save his life even as we speak." I don't know if this is something or not, or if it is just taking place before they called his death, but i think, skystreak?, was right. I think there is a good chance that the Cap that was shot was another damn one of the clones. oh, well thats my two cents......you know i'm probably not allowed to quote comics, am i? huh. Ciao

Uh...except that whole "No one knows. NO ONE" part. Ms Marvel ain't exactly a 1st stringer in the superhero hierarchy and anything out of her mouth I consider to be low-grade rumor mongering.

He has a point. Ms. Marvel is a bit of a troublemaker. :-P
Uncle Servo
Champion

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Wait, Gaiman is in England, so how is he to blame for the high price of gasoline in America? :-P

That, my friend, is Marrowlight's problem... :lol:
Marrowlight
Knight

I wouldn't be blaming Gaiman. I'd be blaming Mastermind's man-crush.

;)

MASTERMIND
Adventurer

Alejandro wrote:
clinto1022 wrote:Yep , im gonna say it.....who is Nick Gaiman? besides a writer, of i assume comic books. I loved comics until the early 90's, and then quit, and just started back again, with civil war.

He is to Mastermind what Bill Coffin is to Therumancer.

Wait, wait, wait... I think Neil Gaiman is a great writer but all I have read of his work is Neverwhere and American Gods. I own Anansi Boys but I haven't read it yet. I haven't read any of the Sandman comics or seen anything else he has done. I read two of his books and based on that I think he is a great writer but I'm not tripping over myself to get to the bookstore to read every word he wrote. You guys read into my words too much. I was making a generic statement and you guys thought I was talking about myself. You guys need to find an actual fanboy if you are going to poke fun. If reading two of a writer's works makes someone a fanboy then several of you are in for a world of hurt and ridicule. :P
Marrowlight
Knight

MASTERMIND wrote:
Alejandro wrote:
clinto1022 wrote:Yep , im gonna say it.....who is Nick Gaiman? besides a writer, of i assume comic books. I loved comics until the early 90's, and then quit, and just started back again, with civil war.

He is to Mastermind what Bill Coffin is to Therumancer.

Wait, wait, wait... I think Neil Gaiman is a great writer but all I have read of his work is Neverwhere and American Gods. I own Anansi Boys but I haven't read it yet. I haven't read any of the Sandman comics or seen anything else he has done. I read two of his books and based on that I think he is a great writer but I'm not tripping over myself to get to the bookstore to read every word he wrote. You guys read into my words too much. I was making a generic statement and you guys thought I was talking about myself. You guys need to find an actual fanboy if you are going to poke fun. If reading two of a writer's works makes someone a fanboy then several of you are in for a world of hurt and ridicule. :P

Actually I was talking about the guy at Cartoon Network -- it just got morphed along the way somehow.

Ah - ha -- got morphed in my responding to Servo's comments and I never saw your initial response back since the boards didn't tell me about it and so when I clicked on new responses it went beyond where you said something and I'm just seeing it now....

future post inc once I'm not in the middle of aggro.

Marrowlight
Knight

MASTERMIND wrote:*sigh*

That statement was not meant to be taken literally Marrowlight. :P

My point is Neil Gaiman is a great writer and great writers have fans. You may not be a fan and that is fine but you can't have angst against someone who is a fan. Mark Millar has fans but I dislike the guy but I don't have anything against his fans.

EDIT: Edited because my original post was inflammatory and I did not mean for it to be.

I assume the statement from the Cartoon Network guy was meant to be taken literally. Great writers have fans....but Gaiman has a very special breed of fans beyond his normal people fans. These are the Gaimanites. They're like the all black clothes beret wearing open poetry night coffee house living jerk offs of the comic industry. Their nose curls like an elf's at the first hint of spandex, and their soul dies a loud emo death if they see a person with the name "man" in it that isn't their beloved "Sandman". Even references to the original golden age Sandman elicit a scoffing sound that's like audible pity as their heads shake like bobble head automatons at the ignorance of those from the 40s to not have the foresight to leave their glorious name alone.

I have absolutely nothing against Gaiman as a person. I think he's a hell of a writer. Gaimanites, however, are to be slaughtered on sight. It is only for the good of mankind that I do this -- not that any of them are likely to breed anyway.

Uncle Servo
Champion

MASTERMIND wrote:You guys need to find an actual fanboy if you are going to poke fun. If reading two of a writer's works makes someone a fanboy then several of you are in for a world of hurt and ridicule. :P

No, pretty much all anyone has to do is post something for me to poke fun at them... but you can at least take comfort in the fact that while I poke fun at a lot of people it's never mean-spirited. :ok:

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”