"U-Rounds" versus "The Magically Invulnerable" -who 'wins'??

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

In order for a Coalition U-Round to damage a Magically Invulnerable Creature:

A]] A U-Round has to strike an existing wound or somehow get inside the creature's body by other means.
24%
B]] A U-Round, unlike most other Rounds NOT made of Silver, Wood, etc., makes its own hole in the creature, even if it's an otherwise invulnerable Vampire or Were.
56%
C]] A U-Round MUST be part of some sort of (undefined) alloy, mixed in with a metal or substance that does damage creatures like Weres and Vampires, in order to be effective.
21%

Total votes: 34

cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

"U-Rounds" versus "The Magically Invulnerable" -who 'wins'??

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Okay, folks, since you "asked" for it, a Thread created in this Issue's honor:

How, do you think, do they need to deploy U-Rounds in actual combat in order for them to damage an otherwise magically invulnerable creature like a Vampire or Werebeast??

Can they just fire off U-Shells "naked," as it were, and have them do damage right off the bat??

Or, do they have to shoot them into wounds already suffered by creatures like these??

Perhaps you even think that they would have to make a U-Round part Uranium, part Silver/Wood/Cold Iron, in order to make proper use of these rounds.

In any event, here is one conveniently-placed Thread for everybody to argue one way or the other, once and for all and forever (which, for the Palladium Forums, "forever" means about a year or two on a given issue before we argue the exact same subject once again).

Note: Obviously, I already have my own answer and think that it's 100% correct [ :D ], but withholding my own views on the subject for the time being and I'm asking you guys to explain how you think U-Rounds have to be deployed to be effective, and I am also asking you to explain why you think so, here in the Main Thread, and then participate in the Poll above.

Enjoy your Discussion!!!
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Re: "U-Rounds" versus "The Magically Invulnerable" -who 'wins'??

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

I think they should do no damage. Ever.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

I think it depends how your group plays limited invulnerability. Does laser and projectiles just bounce off or do make holes that really have no effect. Our group says it makes holes that just heals over in mere seconds. Still with how low werebeasts and vampires hit points are taking away their regeneration might kill some of the fun fighting them. Maybe NGR 2 might touch this subject again.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Dr. Doom III wrote:I think they should do no damage. Ever.

Seconded.
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

Qev wrote:

Seconded.

Thirded
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

That may be so, as your own personal preference.....but how do you think that they work against Vampires and Were-Beasts in 'real life' combat??

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
green.nova343
Adventurer

Unread post by green.nova343 »

Interesting how, of the 3 people saying U-round shouldn't damage supernaturals, none of them have yet voted that way in the poll -- seeing as how (at this point) the only poll responses are option B.

Personally, I voted for B, but it's not exactly the way I envision it. On Rifts Earth, S.D.C. weapons that don't incorporate special materials (i.e. silver or wood) will bounce off of supernatural targets, just like bullets off Superman (or like 9mm rounds against a Skull Smasher)...although I do allow for potential knockdown effects (magic may keep you from being bruised/punctured, but it doesnt' guarantee you stay on your feet -- plus you get the last-scene-of-a-slasher-flick "aaah!!" moment). M.D.C. weapons that don't incorporate special materials (i.e. silver railgun rounds, U-rounds, etc.) will definitely follow the normal knockdown rules, as well. They may even penetrate the skin or go right through... but they won't do any actual damage because the holes/wounds heal up almost instantaneously. Even a burst that would normally rip a similar M.D.C. target into pieces will have all of the holes healed up within a second at most -- definitely not long enough for the creature to bleed. Think of it as similar to the effect for Dorian Gray in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: bullets went through him, but they didn't really hurt him.

Special weapons -- silver, wood, blessed, U-rounds, etc. -- are an entirely different matter, so to speak. Whether it's the mystical connection, or a particular property of the substance, the supernatural creature isn't able to easily heal the wound.

The truly scary upshot of U-rounds, however, isn't their actual usage. It's what the logical progression brings you to. See, there's only 2 possible reasons that damage from U-rounds is harder for the supernatural to heal even once the round is removed. Either the round is soft enough that it leaves behind microparticles in the target (not enough to impede regeneration, but enough to make healing go much more slowly), or the generally small amount of radiation introduced into the tissue as the round passes through is enough to slow down healing. Why is that scary? Because whose to say that, if said supernatural was kept in a location with equal or higher levels of background radiation -- say, ground zero or near ground zero to a recent thermonuclear blast -- those radiation levels wouldn't make it vulnerable to regular (i.e. non-magical/non-U-round) weapons? The radiation could potentially impede its natural regenerative abilities, possibly to the point that it can't "instantly" heal damage from conventional attacks. It would be a new twist on radiation poisoning: it won't die from the radiation, but it strips away one of their natural abilities.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

the Dorian Gray example is along my thinking as it gives the GM more options to tell the story with gruesome detail. Super man's type invulnerability is so boring "Oh my nothing happened wow how exciting!"
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

I think they should absolutely do damage and do damage at full. The consequences for carrying around U-rounds unless you want to live life in a hazmat suit are so severe that there should be some advantage to them other than having your hair fall out in clumps and the loss of your teeth, along with some skin lesions just for good measure.
green.nova343
Adventurer

Unread post by green.nova343 »

runebeo wrote:the Dorian Gray example is along my thinking as it gives the GM more options to tell the story with gruesome detail. Super man's type invulnerability is so boring "Oh my nothing happened wow how exciting!"

Yeah. Seeing a bullet bounce off someone's eye is the "oh, s***, my a** is grass" moment that makes you want to run away. Seeing bullets punch through someone, only to see them just stand there with holes that seal up really quick (or even get knocked down but then jump right back up without a mark on them), and those lips split into an evil smile, is the "oh, f***, what in the 9 Hells am I dealing with here?!?" moment that makes you wonder if you can run fast enough to go hide in the closet... or if the closet is even safe enough.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

According the the article "Operation Holy house" which by the way is official material, u rounds damage vampires normally.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

rat_bastard wrote:According the the article "Operation Holy house" which by the way is official material, u rounds damage vampires normally.

Canon material FTW
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

I see no problem in U rounds being able to damage everything.

I'm more curious as to why K originally decided U rounds are the end-all-be-all of hurting things.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Crazy Lou
Hero

Unread post by Crazy Lou »

dark brandon wrote:I see no problem in U rounds being able to damage everything.

I'm more curious as to why K originally decided U rounds are the end-all-be-all of hurting things.

why not?
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -- Seneca The Younger
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

dark brandon wrote:I see no problem in U rounds being able to damage everything.

Probably because he 'knew' that it would be unrealistic for Coalition Troops to be carrying Silver Rounds by the truckload (cost), and Wood would have been utterly impractical for an MDC Weapon, even in this imaginary setting.

Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

I believe the answer is obvious; does a werewolf's invunerability state that it's negated by U-rounds?

Does the description of U-rounds state that it negates the invunerabilities of monsters?

The answer to both questions is "NO".

A werewolf's invunerability lists silver as an exception. Not Uranium, but Silver. A silver-coated U-round is pointless since a werewolf must naturally heal from silver wounds anyway, not regenerate/take no damage. This is the same deal in all cases where another material must be used.

U-rounds state that they only force a creature with regeneration to regenerate at normal "human" rates. It does not list in their description that it causes damage to otherwise invunerable opponents.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

I go with what the books say.
Dog_O_War
Champion

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:I go with what the books say.

The books say that my 44. magnum with a silver round does more damage per round than your C40-SAMAS railgun loaded with U-rounds to a vampire.

The books say that my .38 special does more damage per round than your Bandit BigBore revolver loaded with U-rounds (or silver rounds, for that matter) to the same vampire as above.

Which books shall you trust? The ones with the ruling printed, or the adventure with the exception printed?

My point being that allowing U-rounds to work is a pointless endevour that shows breaks within the game.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

option D. all damage to were's/vamp's creates holes/craters/burns, they just close up and heal really fast.

Dog_O_War wrote:I believe the answer is obvious; does a werewolf's invunerability state that it's negated by U-rounds?

Does the description of U-rounds state that it negates the invunerabilities of monsters?

actually, on the list of creatures the rounds effect in WB%, it specifically states werecreatures and vampires, which means that it can hurt them, which means the answer to both questions is a resounding YES

WB5 modifies the WB1 material, and Arzno specifically says U-rounds will damage vamps.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
The Galactus Kid

glitterboy2098 wrote:option D. all damage to were's/vamp's creates holes/craters/burns, they just close up and heal really fast.

Dog_O_War wrote:I believe the answer is obvious; does a werewolf's invunerability state that it's negated by U-rounds?

actually, on the list of creatures the rounds effect in WB%, it specifically states werecreatures and vampires, which means that it can hurt them, which means the answer to both questions is a resounding YES

WB5 modifies the WB1 material, and Arzno specifically says U-rounds will damage vamps.

Yet again, YAY FOR CANON MATERIAL!!!
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

cornholioprime wrote: A]] A U-Round has to strike an existing wound or somehow get inside the creature's body by other means.
B]] A U-Round, unlike most other Rounds NOT made of Silver, Wood, etc., makes its own hole in the creature, even if it's an otherwise invulnerable Vampire or Were.
C]] A U-Round MUST be part of some sort of (undefined) alloy, mixed in with a metal or substance that does damage creatures like Were's and Vampires, in order to be effective.

I vote J) it doesn't do squat to "Children of the Moon" except maybe hurt/sting when it bounces off. (sort of like getting by a paint-ball w/o any clothes on.) Making them notice you, and "Mad At You"

The problem is that U-rounds are Mundane and vamps and Were-critters Special AR lists them as invulnerable to mundane weapons. So unless the NGR is actually adding a magical aspect to the U-rounds, they should not do squat to those not damaged by mundane weapons.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

Dog_O_War wrote:
RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:I go with what the books say.

The books say that my 44. magnum with a silver round does more damage per round than your C40-SAMAS railgun loaded with U-rounds to a vampire.

The books say that my .38 special does more damage per round than your Bandit BigBore revolver loaded with U-rounds (or silver rounds, for that matter) to the same vampire as above.

Which books shall you trust? The ones with the ruling printed, or the adventure with the exception printed?

My point being that allowing U-rounds to work is a pointless endevour that shows breaks within the game.

I agree with this
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
The Galactus Kid

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
cornholioprime wrote: A]] A U-Round has to strike an existing wound or somehow get inside the creature's body by other means.
C]] A U-Round MUST be part of some sort of (undefined) alloy, mixed in with a metal or substance that does damage creatures like Weres and Vampires, in order to be effective.

I vote J) it doesn't do squat to "Children of the Moon" except maybe hurt/sting when it bounces off. (sort of like getting by a paint-ball w/o any clothes on.) Making them notice you, and "Mad At You"

The problem is that U-rounds are Mundane and vamps and Were-critters Specile AR lists them as invenerable to mundane weapons. So unless the NGR is actully adding a magical aspect to the U-rounds, they should not do squat to those not damaged by mundane weapons.

Thats all well and good, but it isn't what the canon books say.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

WB5 does give radioactive material a supernatural effect. it specifically states that radiation doesn't effect supernatural creatures or creatures of agic, but the Radioactive material does. or as i've said in the other million times this has come up, it's an Alchemical effect, not a chemical one.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Dog_O_War
Champion

glitterboy2098 wrote:option D. all damage to were's/vamp's creates holes/craters/burns, they just close up and heal really fast.

My mistake.
That brings about the other question; why does this not properly translate to mega-damage?
(see my response to roadwarrior)
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The Galactus Kid wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:snip...
The problem is that U-rounds are Mundane and vamps and Were-critters Special AR lists them as invulnerable to mundane weapons. So unless the NGR is actually adding a magical aspect to the U-rounds, they should not do squat to those not damaged by mundane weapons.

Thats all well and good, but it isn't what the canon books say.

You notice that the nature of what I said, the way I said it, was only pointing out the broken part of the cannon material.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Dog_O_War wrote:

My mistake.
That brings about the other question; why does this not properly translate to mega-damage?
To the Magically Invulnerable, nothing EVER translates to actual Megadamage; any such value, even from the most powerful Magic Artifactts and Weapons of the Gods, does only the equivalent in either SDC or Damage Direct To Hit Points (I forget which, and when either one applies) to creatures like the Undead, Vampires, and Weres.

And depending upon the Undead type, it might STILL be not enough to actually kill them, just put them out of the game for awhile.

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
C]] A U-Round MUST be part of some sort of (undefined) alloy, mixed in with a metal or substance that does damage creatures like Were's and Vampires, in order to be effective.

It's not that various materials are in and of themselves Supernatural (Silver isn't, and neither is Cold Iron or Wood), it's that the Creature in question is magically reactive to those things. Kevin's apparent view is that Uranium is a newly-discovered item to add to that list.

Call it the equivalent of a Supernatural Allergy, if you will (whose victims sometimes have a violent allergic reaction whose symptoms include Ceasing To Exist, Vaporizing Into Nothingness, and Passing On to the Next Realm :D ).

Dog_O_War
Champion

cornholioprime wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:

My mistake.
To the Magically Invulnerable, nothing EVER translates to actual Megadamage; any such value, even from the most powerful Magic Artifactts and Weapons of the Gods, does only the equivalent in either SDC or Damage Direct To Hit Points (I forget which, and when either one applies) to creatures like the Undead, Vampires, and Weres.

And depending upon the Undead type, it might STILL be not enough to actually kill them, just put them out of the game for awhile.

I will restate (as the above isn't exactly clear)

My bandit BigBore revolver is normally a 1d6 mega-damage gun. Load in a U-round, and it's still a 1d6MD gun, but it now does 1d6HP to vampires and the like. Load in a silver round, and it's still a 1d6 damage gun (to those foes with vunerability to silver). The gun is also perported as one of the biggest revolvers around.

Meanwhile a railgun (like the NG one that fires single shots - can't remember the name) does 4d6 MD per shot. Loaded with U-rounds, it does 4d6MD/4d6HP damage. Load it with silver; 4d6HP (to those foes with vunerability to silver).

I take my .44 magnum and load in a silver round and it does 4d6HP; more than the BB-6. The same damage as this giant-SS railgun (and you know a railgun is firing a big round if a C40 is doing 1d4 per single shot, and this bad-boy is doing 4d6).

See the problem? U-rounds do not properly convert MD. By these accounts, the BB-6 should be doing atleast as much as a .44; hell, the BB-6 has an intimiation factor based on its size - why then wouldn't a .44? This is what I'm getting at; U-rounds don't properly convert MD.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Dog_O_War wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:

My mistake.

I will restate (as the above isn't exactly clear)

My bandit BigBore revolver is normally a 1d6 mega-damage gun. Load in a U-round, and it's still a 1d6MD gun, but it now does 1d6HP to vampires and the like. Load in a silver round, and it's still a 1d6 damage gun (to those foes with vunerability to silver). The gun is also perported as one of the biggest revolvers around.

Meanwhile a railgun (like the NG one that fires single shots - can't remember the name) does 4d6 MD per shot. Loaded with U-rounds, it does 4d6MD/4d6HP damage. Load it with silver; 4d6HP (to those foes with vunerability to silver).

I take my .44 magnum and load in a silver round and it does 4d6HP; more than the BB-6. The same damage as this giant-SS railgun (and you know a railgun is firing a big round if a C40 is doing 1d4 per single shot, and this bad-boy is doing 4d6).

See the problem? U-rounds do not properly convert MD. By these accounts, the BB-6 should be doing atleast as much as a .44; hell, the BB-6 has an intimiation factor based on its size - why then wouldn't a .44? This is what I'm getting at; U-rounds don't properly convert MD.

this is where you house rule.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
The Galactus Kid

rat_bastard wrote:this is where you house rule.

Agreed

Dog_O_War
Champion

I know.
Most of my questions are usually rhetorical; stated to make people think.

What bothers me is that I must house-rule in order for it to make sense (in my mind).
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

cornholioprime wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

It's not that various materials are in and of themselves Supernatural (Silver isn't, and neither is Cold Iron or Wood), it's that the Creature in question is magically reactive to those things. Kevin's apparent view is that Uranium is a newly-discovered item to add to that list.

Call it the equivalent of a Supernatural Allergy, if you will (whose victims sometimes have a violent allergic reaction whose symptoms include Ceasing To Exist, Vaporizing Into Nothingness, and Passing On to the Next Realm :D ).

Did you notice that I was very specific in what I said?
I didn't say anything about PB cannon, beside saying it was broken in relation to U-rounds. :P
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Dog_O_War wrote:

I know.

What bothers me is that I must house-rule in order for it to make sense (in my mind).

really? I have yet to see a system that I did not house rule extensively.
Dog_O_War
Champion

rat_bastard wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:

I know.

really? I have yet to see a system that I did not house rule extensively.

I house-rule in almost every system I've ran, and most of the DMs/GMs/Marshals/Storytellers/etc... have house-ruled the systems they've ran.

But what bothers me is that I must house-rule for things to make sense in this game. Not from a real-world perspective (otherwise I'd have to FIREBALL! myself), but from a verisimilitude/rules perspective.

I've house-ruled D&D (for example) for a change-up of how things work - not because they weren't working, but because I wanted to see if different configurations also worked. Alternate attack schemes, and rolling methods (for example). Different hit-point measurements, damage qualities, weapon-types. Armour, spellcasting, etc... I've manuevered and re-worked all sorts of things; some didn't work at all, others worked incredibly well.

I do not do so here and now in Rifts, though I have experimented with alternate systems within the game itself - this is most often because the way things work do not work consistently within the setting or the rules.

EDIT: like the above mentioned revolver pissing contest - you'd think that the largest, most powerful handgun on Rifts earth would put to shame an SDC revolver, regardless of opponent, but.....
Last edited by Dog_O_War on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Did you notice that I was very specific in what I said?
I didn't say anything about PB cannon, beside saying it was broken in relation to U-rounds. :P

Drew-kitty, this isn't really a House Rule question; it's a "how do you think Kevin officially wants DU-Rounds to work?" question, with appropriate Poll Choices attached.

Since there appears to be legitimate question and difference of opinion as to how they are supposed to work in the game, I created a new Thread for just that purpose.

Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

I voted option D: None of the above.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Marcethus wrote:
Qev wrote:

Seconded.

Thirded

Fourthed, though I'll add that if a creature isn't mentioned as being immune to radiation then it shouldn't begin healing until the round is removed.
The Beast

Dog_O_War wrote:My bandit BigBore revolver is normally a 1d6 mega-damage gun. Load in a U-round, and it's still a 1d6MD gun, but it now does 1d6HP to vampires and the like. Load in a silver round, and it's still a 1d6 damage gun (to those foes with vunerability to silver). The gun is also perported as one of the biggest revolvers around.

Dont DU & U-rounds do extra damage because they're more dense then the stuff normally thrown by railguns?
The Beast

green.nova343 wrote:Interesting how, of the 3 people saying U-round shouldn't damage supernaturals, none of them have yet voted that way in the poll -- seeing as how (at this point) the only poll responses are option B.

I don't see an option for no damage.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Marcethus wrote:I voted option D: None of the above.
It's amazing how often one has to remind others that the Question in this Thread isn't asking about their own beliefs on how U-Rounds should work, but rather how they believe that the U-Rounds are officially supposed to work.

NOTE: This Thread Question is being put forth by a person who also doesn't like the introduction of U-Rounds into the world of anti-Vampire/Undead/Werebeast Territory, but who recognizes their officially-sanctioned existence.

Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

Since Vampire Kingdoms states that vampires are immune to radiation, why the heck would a radioactive bullet hurt one? As for other crearures, if the bullet can hurt it, that is to say it is not invulnerable to it, then it should be able to penetrate it's skin. To cite a precedent,Superman is immune to normal bullets, but bullets made of Kryptonite will penetrate his skin like normal bullets do to a normal person.
Last edited by Captain Shiva on Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

I've always played that vampires in Rifts much like anything else can take damage from any form of super technology, just that they have mundane weaknesses that would make using such expensive means of taking them out unnecessary. Yeah, people can go and throw rotten fruit at me for saying it, but the vampire in Rifts Earth just seems completely messed up and out of whack with the setting. Every other supernatural creature with the exception of Vampires and Werebeasts can take damage from mega-damage weapons normally AND have mundane weaknesses. Why should vampires and Werebeasts be so special? (Note even if they could take damage from high tech weapons they still super regenerate unless dealt with using the appropriate means.)

"Hi guys, I'm a demon from a rift! Lasers can hurt me, but it's a lot cheaper to shoot me full of bone and wood chips!"

(looks at the pale guy with big fangs) "What about you there little guy?"

"I'm a villain from classic literature and have been stereotyped in numerous films in the 20th century, therefore I'm completely immune to all the high tech Gizmos of Rifts Earth and can only be killed in the good old fashion ways shown in the movies! In fact, I can't even be killed by artificially created light from magic sources or tech sources, because it lacks the spirit juice to do it. Yup, it has to be direct honest to god sunlight to burn me, even though in previous products that particular method worked fairly well."

Now come on people, does this make any freaking sense?

But back to the question at hand: With the current rules in the game, the rounds do no damage, but slow the regenerative power of the vampire by half. How it does so is completely up to the player and GMs imagination, but that is how the rules work. I hate freaking Rifts crappy vampire and werebeast rules.

Tangent warning:

Vampires don't need to be freaking invincible to high tech weapons! They are like a plague in how they spread! Not every average Joe has a high tech weapon to defend himself with, and most common folk, even if they knew how to handle a vampire, would still fall to them since they are intelligent predators. Why in Gods sweet earth Palladium decided they wanted vampires to be nigh invincible is beyond me. How about we have invincible mole rats that eat human bone and are running rampant in the New West? Oh, they can only come out at night to eat, but they can chew threw anything with their teeth and unless you fight them with dental floss you are in trouble! They only take damage from Dental Floss! HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES! :twisted:
Last edited by Colt47 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
Dr. Doom III
Knight

cornholioprime wrote:
It's amazing how often one has to remind others that the Question in this Thread isn't asking about their own beliefs on how U-Rounds should work, but rather how they believe that the U-Rounds are officially supposed to work.

NOTE: This Thread Question is being put forth by a person who also doesn't like the introduction of U-Rounds into the world of anti-Vampire/Undead/Werebeast Territory, but who recognizes their officially-sanctioned existence.

I don't care how they are officially supposed to work.
I think that uranium for some unknown reason doing damage to creatures that are only vulnerable to a few specific things is dumb.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The Beast wrote:
green.nova343 wrote:Interesting how, of the 3 people saying U-round shouldn't damage supernaturals, none of them have yet voted that way in the poll -- seeing as how (at this point) the only poll responses are option B.

I don't see an option for no damage.

What I am seeing is people saying that U-rounds shouldn't damage those that are invulnerable to mundane weapons' damage, not the SN (&CoM) in general.
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

How do vampires and werebeasts differ?
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Colt47 wrote:How do vampires and werebeasts differ?

A few vulnerabilities and the speed/power of their regeneration.
-George Orwell
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Dr. Doom III wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:

I don't care how they are officially supposed to work.
I think that uranium for some unknown reason doing damage to creatures that are only vulnerable to a few specific things is dumb.
We'll all keep that in mind....when we see your Game Setting published....and the Rules that you'll set up in it.

But since we're talking about Kevin's Game, well......

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Captain Shiva wrote:Since Vampire Kingdoms states that vampires are immune to radiation, why the heck would a radioactive bullet hurt one?
My friend, once you accept the premise that Nuclear Power Packs can run for 20 years without fuel retrofit or waste disposal, I'm afraid that you're going to have to swallow a whole lot more where that came from.

(You should see one of the old Threads about how unfeasible it is for the Coalition State's economy to function. Your head will spin!!)
Last edited by cornholioprime on Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rifts®”