Heroes Unlimited Steampunk Style!

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ZeroArmour
Dungeon Crawler

Heroes Unlimited Steampunk Style!

Unread post by ZeroArmour »

This has been on my mind for a little while now, has anyone else thought about it?

How would a HU character from a steampunk world work, no super powers maybe? Plenty of super inventions and steam-tech...

How would you stat out a steam powered robot or vehicle? And what about airships (either zeps or actual flying ships) or steam tanks?

And lastly, how would those long, heavy, skirts affect female characters?

Much to think about...
"That's the second biggest dragon I've ever seen"
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Re: Heroes Unlimited Steampunk Style!

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

Aheem
FirstOff I strongly suggest you to give a look at GURPS Stemapunk, It does have some hint and lot of reference book to look at.
Now for our Game in question.
First Off Steampunk does not necessary have ot be powerless. Rather than opposite.
Except all powers depend on the new arise of science.
Here the classes more easily available
Robots: In any shapes and colors. What make big difference is that power system depend on weird steam powered or some huge Tesla Coil . Humanoid semi sentient robot are also possible, albeit they tend to be bigger abd bulkier, and more riveted, than moder counterpart
A story apart are androids. They are not impossible, just ethically unconfortable. Most famous steampunk android is the ginoid from Metropolis. Go figure
Note some alternative experiemntal power system could be present, in that case one of their thing that make your robot character ,a) veyr unique, and c) very wanted.
Cyborgs: Same as robot. Is all matter of power system. Due the fact that steampunk is what it is, bionics is always bulky and obvious. Probably a strong constituion is needed to be able to use them. Example of this the Automail from Full Metal Alchemist
NOTE: energy weapon, are for most part not available in steampunk campaign, but automatic guns are. flame launcher are the only exception
Mutant Animals: Ah doctor Moreu, How much we are in debt with you. Mutant animals are considered slave race, with even less rights of Nlakc slaves of the deep south. Is rare to meet one with complete full human looks and speech. But have an advantages. Being considered animals, they do not have to follow the rules of the society, except that they need to have an human "owner".
Experiment and Mutants: Jeckyl and Hide and the invisible man docet. Of course side effects are pain in the ass, more than in present day. As example Must Physical Transform cause automaticallyinto another personality. Most of Experiemnts and mutants tend to be slightly insane . Powers: Roll as minor heroes, but skill are rolled normally
Eugenetic: There are two type of these monsters. The chimera(equivalent to test tube baby) or resurrecter corpse(Frankenstein style!!). Budget is only 1d4+1 x 1.000.000 of dollars.
Psionics: Latent Psionic are more common, while Natural are quite rare(only 01% of psionics in steampunk worl are natural).
Natural Genius: Elementary my dear Watson, they fit the shoes
Ancient Weapon Master, Hunter/Vigilante, Physical training: Perhaps they are professional duelist, archeologist, just grown in the jungle or simply the best african hunter. Whatever the case they are the backbone of Steampunk
Super Sleuth: Obviously the technological aspect of it cannot exist, but apart replacing tech skills with some more adapt to the age(just remember that chemistry analytical, electornics and mechanics are available in steampunk campaign), Computer Hackinh is replaced with Criminal Intuition
Super Invention: same story as Robotics. Is Probably experimental and the hero had to keep away from bad evil hands
Hardware: They ar eborn for the setting, and they don't need changes at all, because, well they are always a step or 10 step ahead of their times.
Special Categories
Immortal Undead/Vampire : Well fit , as villain mostly, but heroic vampires or half vampires are possible
Human Immortals: the evil fu-manchu vs. the highlander, fighting against each other since....what year is it now, by the way?
Mystic Study: There are only two options here. Or a mystical guardian/shaman who after years of training decide to protect in secret humnakind or magic is widespread and integral part of society
Aliens: There are things that lurk in darkness, alien horrors with no names that whisper your names, calling and calling...Or they are Aline bent on invading earth or lovercraftian abomination, is rare finding one nice alien in steampunk setting
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Great.

Maybe you can give a example of a Hero and a Villain?
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

For a good example of steampunk bionics, look at Loveless from Wild Wild West.

As for powers: I think bionics and cybernetics are well covered.

Some slight powers could be available from elixers. Things like extrordinary attributes, healing factor. I'd say no majors, and only minors that are things humans can do, only better. And probably not the full 5 minors. Think of a snake oil that actually works (maybe only for one character due to his metabolism)
Or as mentioned, your monster types.

Psionics could work, but keep them low key. More Uri Geller, less Jean Grey.
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
ZeroArmour
Dungeon Crawler

As a side note, can you imagine what it would be like if a group of Victorian age, "steampunk" heroes time travlled into the present?

"I've activated this picture box thingamy! Er, egads what are those women doing to each other? My Lord above, oh my!"
The Baron of chaos
Champion

I decide to develop further the concept. Inspired by an article about gurps I read once.

• Hardware: The hardware guys are born for the Steampunk setting, truly edison's and Wright brothers child. As i said before, they are a step or 10 ahed of their time. They are literally the engine of the setting. Oftend cirectly or indirectly the cause of most of things tha thappen in their world. They kind of
  • Physical Training: They fit, expecially as adventure seekers, lords of jungle or simply expert fighting bulters of a world travelling englishman, or just a tough sailor dragged into a crazy travle under the sea(if they are not wrestling white whales barehanded). The only problem is that they are not exactly very welcome in the society that count, as they are often considered simpleton brutes
  • Special Training: all fit, but remember to adjust the Supersleuth and Super Spy tech skills, as they do not fit. The Magician instead, like Hardwares character, keep all his skills , as he/she is in the field of illusion quite ahead of his times. On Super spy remeber that Victorian/Steampunkish setting is form politcal point of view a nightmare, with the rise of terrorism, anarchy and else
  • Natural Genius: Is, like the hardware , born for the setting. The are adventures, mostly detectives and archeologist or simply Noblemen who accept crazy challenges or scientist who just don't know what does means impossible. They are the ones people look at for solutions
  • Mutant Animals: Yes the child of Doctor Moreu. If a more elastic campign is run, they are used as slave labor force, as soldiers or servants, or in extreme cases as food. In some way they could fill the role of the hated and feared. Generally considered animals, in a period where there was no care for environment or animals, ad i already pointed out as they would face problems if caught without an legal owner. Is also one of those class who offer more freedom of action to female characters, as they are more free in what they wear. Of course depending on the job, a maiden mutant rabbit is still expected to dress like a maiden
  • Experiment: Look there was not just the invisible man or Jeckyl/Hyde, there were many with many powers, from super fast professors(H.G. Wells' "A New Accelerator," 1899) to invulnerable convicts(Arthur Conan Doyle's "Los Amigos Fiasco" 1892). Victorian age was the perido of lot of new technologies and science concept being discovered. And experiments are the bastard son of it. They are likely the only ones who has superpowers and psionics in a Steampunk setting. Sometimes they go nuts. Sometimes they are heroic. It depends. Note that supersoldiers are stills eomthign that the armies would like to accomplish(The movie "the league of Extraordinary Men" while unfaithful to the comic, give an interesting idea about this
  • Robotics, Cyborg/Bionics, Supervehicles and Super Invention: They are the creations of the Hardware characters, sadly they look no way as polished and fine as modern era equivalent. Depending on the campaign they can be more or less widespread, but remember the hardware characteris will keep the best for themselves of course, like an experimental steam powered heat sword...oh one thing. Yes Wild Wild West was interesting for Stemapunk source, but for some really cool,looking Steampunk Cyborg look at this link Steampunk Vader or this for more Star Wars Steampunk Steampunk Star Wars
  • Immortal Undead Vampires: Ever read Anno Dracula? Is interesting as Vampires could be integrated as part of society, or perhaps they are an experiment to create supersolider gone awfully wrong, who know. Also HU vampires, apart the bloodsucking need, could have many different abilities, with each clan with weir dpower. The Dracula brethren focusing on shapechange while other have stronger mental power or strength. Note that whatever their role in society is, they never are truly accepted or welcomed, ya know the Megaversal "everybody hate vampire" rule
  • Eugenetic: Alreayd explained. In limited way is something you can see around. Frankenstein's monster anyone?
  • Aliens: Aliens are mostly cruel invaders, but there another option, the opposite. For a steampunk space opera, where we are the invaders and them being the invaded. Or they could be sued ot represent a different offshot of humankind, like underground mole men, indian snake people, Insmouth aquatic things, or else.
  • Magic and Psionic: as pointed out Magic and Psionic do not fit in HARD Steampunk campaing, albeit as Lord Darcy teach this is not always true. But if magic is preceived as a science as another, is also ture that is more or less part of the society, with mages having to attende high level education and need a licence to practice their "science". Also in Victorian times occultism was actually considered trusthworthy and almost scientific. Is in this period that the term Medium was born , ya know
For a large Steampunk resource of link and fashion
http://www.geocities.com/steampunkfashion/index.htm
Overlord Rikonius
Hero

The Baron of chaos wrote:[*]Immortal Undead Vampires: Ever read Anno Dracula? Is interesting as Vampires could be integrated as part of society, or perhaps they are an experiment to create supersolider gone awfully wrong, who know. Also HU vampires, apart the bloodsucking need, could have many different abilities, with each clan with weir dpower. The Dracula brethren focusing on shapechange while other have stronger mental power or strength. Note that whatever their role in society is, they never are truly accepted or welcomed, ya know the Megaversal "everybody hate vampire" rule

If you guys want help making different types of vamps, I wrote a template a while back
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

the Amazing Screw On Head has some pretty cool stuff and its a really nifty toon if i do say so myself.
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

What about the 'Imbued' class from PU2, where the hero has to drink/ingest a substance to gain super abilities? this would seem to fit into the Steam Punk style
The Dragon Has Spoken
ZeroArmour
Dungeon Crawler

Snake Eyes wrote:What about the 'Imbued' class from PU2, where the hero has to drink/ingest a substance to gain super abilities? this would seem to fit into the Steam Punk style

Quite so, Dr Jekyll would fit into this category as he needed to use the potion to initiate the change into Mr Hyde... At first.
Overlord Rikonius
Hero

Snake Eyes wrote:What about the 'Imbued' class from PU2, where the hero has to drink/ingest a substance to gain super abilities? this would seem to fit into the Steam Punk style

Snake oil that doesn't last permanently
Snake Eyes
Hero

Snake oil that doesn't last permanently

Exactly......the character would need to keep a few vials of whatever chem. he/she needs
The Dragon Has Spoken
ZeroArmour
Dungeon Crawler

Imagine playing a steam powered robot with an analog (clockwork) brain? I guess that would be basic intelligence at it's most basic... Or how about a transplanted brain in a steam-bot body?
Snowtiger
Adventurer

Unread post by Snowtiger »

A'Zule wrote:Imagine playing a steam powered robot with an analog (clockwork) brain? I guess that would be basic intelligence at it's most basic... Or how about a transplanted brain in a steam-bot body?

Clockwork brain, functional, but the bot would be dumb as a doornail, you'd tell it to do something and it would obey without even thinking about it. If there's something between its target and it, it would be likely to fail in its mission.

Implanted brain, that's a bit of a stretch, and would be nearly impossible to do at a typical steampunk tech level. I'd imagine some sort of a brain-jar system, where the brain would be suspended in a nutrient-rich gelatin bath and connected to the robot using a very crude sort of electronics. Needless to say that the individual going through this process would be essentially a mindless automaton and severely dysfunctional, due to brain damage from the implantation.

Now a Transferred Intelligence robot could be done, providing that there's a base for magic and psionics in your world. I could totally see a human soul/psionic essence running a steam-powered robot.
"Gonna be sore in the mornin'."
- Hellboy, right after the boss fight scene, after getting up again.

"Never tempt the predator into a bloodlust."
- Snowtiger
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I like the idea of having a Steampunk Unimited book; or Rifter artical. I would rather a stand alone canon book, cause then we could use it with the 'Purity GMs' who only let canon source books into their games.

if you are reading this and are asking yourself "what is Steampunk?" check out these examples.
online comic
anime (only mildly SP)
costuming
SP iron man
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

I'll apologize in advance if this is perhaps the most ridiculous thing ever posted. The idea came to me around 4:30 am when I should have been sleeping, but was instead prowling the boards.

It was mentioned that in a Steampunk type setting there would be limited to no magic. Would there be enough to conjure/trap a fire and a water elemental together, along with some regenerative healing type magic and use them for an unlimited means of steam power?

A stretch I'm sure, but it would be a green energy source. No burning of coal or wood.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I have Mutants in my game,ther born in 1844 after a Meteor shower,the impact area go from Ohio/Pennsylvania,s border in the West too,Germany/Poland,s Border in the East,the Pennsylvania/Maryland,s border for the South and Newfound land
to the North.

By 1860, ther will only be 0.05% of the population of each U.S state in the Impact area.

80% of them only 2 Minor powers,15 % will have 5 minor powers,5% will have Major powers
Snake Eyes
Hero

I think this should be a new source book, that would actually be really cool, whether PB does it, or its fan based, it would still be good
The Dragon Has Spoken
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Snake Eyes wrote:I think this should be a new source book, that would actually be really cool, whether PB does it, or its fan based, it would still be good

Agreed and very much seconded. Steampunk is a genre not covered in any of the other PB games. I would buy it in a heartbeat. If not an acutal new book a Rifter dedicated to a Steampunk theme.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

Ive run steampunk campains using heros unlimited rules
the play by post fell apart but the real life campain was one of my
best
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
ZeroArmour
Dungeon Crawler

Sureshot wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:I think this should be a new source book, that would actually be really cool, whether PB does it, or its fan based, it would still be good

Agreed and very much seconded. Steampunk is a genre not covered in any of the other PB games. I would buy it in a heartbeat. If not an acutal new book a Rifter dedicated to a Steampunk theme.

Maybe an era/settings book, giving info on general ficton settings (ie steampunk, pulp, etc).
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

sorry I got my numbers worng,it,s 0.01%.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Thers a site call Steamtrek it habe good ships in it.
ZeroArmour
Dungeon Crawler

gaby wrote:Thers a site call Steamtrek it habe good ships in it.

Anything that could be used in a HU setting?
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

A No,s sorry.
Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: CoH/CoV Global @Frontovik

Unread post by Lord_Dalgard »

Chello!

The Steam Trek site: http://www.steam-trek.com/index.php?pageid=1

It would actually be more useful for something like Space: 1889.

Tony
Anthony N. Emmel
Proud Member of CLD 2.0
GM of the Guardians of the Polar Bear

"Those blast points are too precise for Pecos raiders. Only
Coalition Deadboys are that accurate."
--Unknown Cyber Knight in CS Lone Star.

+425 Movie Geek Points!
The Baron of chaos
Champion

After Reading this thread first time i start typing somethign on my notepad, just for fun. Then the thing go out of control and after hours and hours of "fun"....

Steampunk Heroes Unlimited:
The main powers of this world are the Albion Monarchy, whose influnece is felt all over the world, the Prussian Reichstag, that rival with Albion the control of europena continent, Franc ehad lost mos tof its power, but is still a serious player of the politic chessgame. In asia, Japanese shogunate had become main player thank the support of commonwealth.

Technology: Twice. The Tesla coil electrogenerator but is too huge to be used in small vehicles, albeit the mad scientist known as "NEMO" had devloped it to power his superadvanced tech. and most common Advanced Steam Engines. these do use special treated coal to produce much more energy. Thise Coal is charged with magic energy. Coal Refinery are placed along ley lines nexus and this locations are coveted by all nations. To power weapons do not exist e-clip, but a n havey backpack with connecting cables.
Avialable HU Class:
Robotics: the industrial revolution spine together with the super-coal, the military industry enjoyed it most. Fine electronics is not available , albeit sensors are present in minimal part, no advanced optics, advanced audio, voice syhtesizer and radio range is reduced by half, no sensors is available . Note all sesnors are quite clucnky and obvious, so require reinforced frame for more than 3 optical and audio enhancement. Energy weapons are limited to flame launcher and Electrical/ion blaster( Vehicular only, require Large Tesla Coil. Only short range missles are available. Most robot are vehicular or giant humanoid, power armor are uncommon but not unheard of. Robotic Animals and robots are spread, but IQ is low(standard AI only). Rare of rarest are androids, and Transferred intelligence.
Cyborg: During the last war their numbers had increased. Generally Cyborg are only partial. But There are a few full conversion cybrog around. For sensors and weapons same limitation as robot, plus given the roughness of bionic implants, a PE of 12 or better is needed to survive to process
Edysonian(hardware character): they are the whiz kids and genius inventor of the world. No change needed. Electrical genius are the only ones who can make advanced sensors and build computers(ordinateur) in steampunk setting, giving them a serious advantage on others.

Magic: Magic exist and is recognized as another type of science, and being teached as superior form of education in the best university. Actually to become a licenced spellcaster is as harder than becoming a surgeon. Test of ammission to magic school are complex, as magic is also a matter of natural aptitude other than skills. After a first three years where one learn just the basics, next 1d4+1 years are devoted to specialization aimed to the job you mean to perform. Mages often act as support to other occupations, and generally every pubblic isitution has at least one licenced mage(an investigator mage in police, a healer mage in an hospital and so on). Magic is also the base of the process of refining of coal, needed for the steam tech
Avialable HU class:
Mystic Study( note Mystic study is avialable only to Military Specialist or Doctorate), see above for detail
Mystical Bestowed: Mostly religious based, is reserved to the priest or worhsipper of a given religion. Is generally passed form father to son. Or from grandparents to nephew. Sometimes the thing get out of the family. They have special patent and licence, and as said, work for and with religous orders(massonic societies count as religious order).
Magic Object and Magic Weapon: ULTRA RARE and the few that exist are hold as precious relic to be used in emergency. An example of this is the Graal, a magic object that grant to whoever drink from it the powers of Healing Factor, Longevity and Impervious to poison & Toxins for 2d4 years. The graal is part of the crown treasure of Albion, but its use is limited, even to the royal family as has some side effect on mental health.
Note: The abuse of dark offensive magic seem to carry on similar effect, together with physical mutation(mages of evil alignment roll for an insanity or mutant trait each level of experience, all other alignment who know acurse or direct damage spell, has 50% chance ot develope such side effect every three level of experience starting with level 3

Human Made Monster and Freaks: As magic is reality, so is the magic related to the modification of the biology of living. A primitive form of Bio-wizardry that's it. Its use is strictly regulated for fear of abuse of it.
Amongst the result of its use:
Mutant Animals: aka the Moreau Childs. While the infamous scientis and bio-wizard , Dr. Moreau, they were not just his original idea. Actually he simply improved and developed the small modification applied by mages to their familiars. Infact Moreou first test subject was his own familiar. Mutant Animals are considered slightly above object and pets and definitely below humans, by society. Despite the origina idea behind them as being a new species that won't carry one humakind flaw, the orignaly research was harvested by industry and marketed as expendable slave race. Cheaper than automatons. While many think them as sterile , they actually can reproduce and exist secret breeding slave camp where these unfortunate are grown to obey and fear humankind. TO give you an idea mutant animals are forbidden to learn to read. This together the abuse his child suffered, last the rumor of them being used as food source for the army, sickened Moreau who retired on a secret location, leaving most of society thinking him as dead.
Mutant Animals new powers and defects
Magic Talent 30 Bio-E points: The mutant animals is a familiar and as such has a innate magical talent know a total of 1d4+1 spells from level 1-5 and can learn one additional spell each additional level of experience PPE is equal fo 6d6+PE plus 1d6+1 per level
Regression -20 Bio-E: the mutation is not constant, and each new level of experience there is a 10% chance +10% if traumatic event are suffered, that the mutant animal mind will start to rever to a complet animalist behaviour, reduce IQ to 1d4+2. This can be averted undergoing to new bio-modification. given how painfull is bio-wizard most mutant animals wish not to undergo trough that.
Chimerae(Eugenetic): from mutant animals come the chimera, the battle beast. Prototype of undead chimerae were present in earlier times, but was only after mutant animals appeared and that bio-wizardry developed that these monsters started to gain more and more presence. Chimerae exist only in two typology, reanimated undead chimerae, considered illegal, unholy and whose creation is punishable with death, Unwilling test subject(more or less illegal, depend who is it. Remeber in steampunk setting no one give too much care toward deserters, orphans and poor peoples) and test tube baby(read mutant animals..poor bastards always suffering here). budget is 2d4x1.000.000$. Note that Chimerae are quite rare anyway.

Freaks: One of the minorities born with the advent of the magic-industrial revolution. The magic refinery factories release as side effect lot of bluish magic smoke as side effect. Now this create a peculiar permanet mist like effect near the industrial complex as the smoke linger. But had its most visible effect in the workers who found their DNA altered and their child born monstrous looking and with some strange powers. Similar mutation are present on the child of dark magic users, causing an extreme form of prejudice toward them. It did not help they are mostly of the lowest class. Every major city has its mutant ghetto that despite the name offer home also to scoundrels of all sorts of shady activity, these ghettos are also home of artists and bohemiens, not forgetting peculiar "very friedly" houses who take advantage of the peculiarity of their girls (imagine a mix between Cabal and Mouline Rouge written by George Simenon). Freaks in Albion and France have formed political association to ask for better treatments.
Steampunk mutants rolls always 1d4+1 mutant trait, there is none of them who look perfectly human. aNd for powers:
    01-10% One Major and two minors
    11-20% Four Minors
    21-35% One APS power that is always on(in case of the energy form they cannot completely turn it off, and there is always a crackling and flickering of energy aroudn the, so storng glowing halo, an electrical field , high body temperature, flaming hair, trasnparent mist like appearence, etc.) , as good side the intensity of power is greater than usual so strenght is considered one class higher than usual(Superhuman PS is then considered Supernatural, Extraordinary is considered Superhuman, and normla is considered extraordinary), SDC is increased by 50%, and energy blast inflict +PE to their damage, are armor piercing(+1d4 PV roll once), and have rang eincresed by 50%. They also choose one minor power or 1d4+2 psionic powerr or 4 spells from level 1-6 that they can cast three times per day(spells can be choosen from any spell list that would fit the APS, like Elemental spells, Biomancy or even necromancy
    36-50% One Major ability plus 2d6x250.000 of eugenetic traits
    51-65% Physical Perfection or EX PB or EX MA plus 1d4 from each of the three minor psionic powers and one super psionic ISP is 1d6x10+ME +1d6+1 per level but regenerate 2 ISP per minute , but still need to meditate
    66-80% Three Minor plus One major that require PPE to activate. Everytime the mutant wish to use his major power need to spend 2d6 PPE(change every 12 hours) PPE is 6d6+PE +2d4 per level
    81-90% Amphibious power , one minor (Multiple limbs: tentacle, APS of legs:tentacle and underwater ability being the most common choice) and a total of 2d4 spells from level 1-7. This mutation is often called the innsmouth mutation, fromt he location with the greatest popualtion of these mutants
    91-00% Lycanthropy or Monstrous Form , lunar strength plus two additional minors or 4 sensitive psionic powers. When exposed to full moon psionc power range is doubled. As side effect take double damage from silver wepaons and can't heal nor return to human from till the silver is removed from the body. This is one of the most ancient form of mutation. Suffered a genocide campaign from the catholic church who did its best to wipe them from existance

Human Monsters(Experiments): These are often the result of experimention with the purpose to create a superhuman. these sort of experiments had grown over the years, following the appearence of the Freaks. In some way the presenc eof mutant animals and chimerae come from the result of these sort fo experiments. Sadly they are the only two known succesful and repetible process. Other experimantations often don't get such high rate of success.
For the most part is the same as Experiment. but side effect are as follow
    01-10% Need PPE for nourishment - 50 PPE per day
    11-20% Must Physical transform: in addition to usual, in the other form has completely different personality. Roll on multiple personality
    21-35% Hair grow stimulated and Neanderthal look: reduce PB by 1d4+2 points
    36-45% Powers are always on: Kinda tragic in case of APS energy powers. With invisibility you coudl cover with some clothes, but if your made of fire what are you goign to wear(a riveted suit/boiler, Big Daddy style, perhaps?)
    46-50% Breathe smoke/Steam: two option or breath coal based smoke or superhot steam. In both case require a breathing equipment, except perhaps in certain areas
    51-65% Chronic Pain - No change
    66-80% Hair Permanently Fall our and body assume a sickly pale white color with sunken eyes and slightly pointed ears.
    81-90% Vulnerable to coal fumes: even the small exposition to it reduce physicla attirbutes by half
    91-00% No Facial Feature - Almost snake like in appearence. For the rest identical to the experiment side effect of the same name

Aliens: Mars ,had surpassed Africa in being the most coveted new soil for colonization. It helped that exist few portals connecting African continent with mars. Martians , or what at first time were thought to be martians had attempted invasion but failed due their understimating the extraordinary defenders of earth and the poor enviromental preparation. The martians technology had been studied but most was organic based and rot too fast to make proper analysis. but enough was discovered to start a space exploration tha tculminated in the conquer of the moon. And form this the exploraiton of the solar system.
Mars: partially colonized, atmosphere is like earth, albeit temperature is warmer and exist little water and lighter gravity. Exist an unknown number of portals that lead to earth, exactly in the middle of african continent. Archeological research discovered that these portals are always located inot underground structures(pyramids, salomon's mines, hidde temple of Isis etc.) and that what were thought to be maritans were actually invaders who had wiped outa pre-existing ancient martian civilization who had previous contact with earth.
Inhabitants:
True Martians: Alien Reptilian from low gravity world. Natural powers: Multiple limbs: arms and hands, Hardened Skin, SV: thermal, EX PS
Tech level is low, as most of their ancient culture had been wiped out by the false martians but are proud warrior race. 25% of them possess minor psionic powers, 1d4 powers of choice ISP ME+4d6
Human Martians: result of ancient africans stumbling into the portals.
human-like from low gravity world - Most fall into hunter, physical training or Ancient Melee weapon master class, but due the experimentation on them run by False Martians during their domination all have or 1 Supersoldier enhancement(bionic implants are actually technorganic and sadly passed through generations, albeit can jump one or two, like eye color most manifest only in adult age) or 1d6 minor psionic from one category only ISP is 1d4x10+ME. Skin tone of Martian human is slightyl reddish in tone than earth ones and have stark red hair color
False Martians aka the slugs: they come from a a gasseous dark world. Possibly the tenth planet of solar system. The look like well a cross beteen a slug and a human brains. Technically they all fall into empowered category(see PU2 for details), roughyl equal to genetic birth defect. They developed a damn crazy form of techno-organic robotics and run experiment on other inferior, to their eyes, races. So far they have been repelled and no track of them is found. But who know.

Atlantis: Atlantis sank eons ago, but the infamous world wide terrorist Nemo did find it. The city and its secrets. The Investigator of occult Jules Verne theorize that it were the secrets of Atlantis that helped Nemo in building his Nautilus the most powerful underwater vessel ever build (there are others but are nowhere as fast, as big, as armed or as resistent to pressure as the Nautilus). Nemo discovered also the degenerated descendents of the atlanteans, who had adapted to a life underseas, but someohow got their mind and soul twisted in very dangerous way. Atlantis is too deep underwater to be reached by any normal submarine
Atlantean descendant: Humanoid aquatic, with pale blue thinly scaled skin, webbed hands, gills and strong fish like facial features, the degree vary from almost full(uneasy feeling) to none human look(w-what is that thing!). for most part they fall into Physical training, albeit some of them are practicioner of dark mystic arts. there is an high probability they could be responsible for the growth of the so called "innsmouth"mutation.

The Moon: This earth moon is very mysterious place. The always eager for adventure Jules Verne documented the very first travel to it, and how the explorers found it has atmosphere and gravity much as earth, and with some weird fauna on there(think earth animals but with mutant traits and one major power or three minors). There are sign of citites but no inhabitants to be found.

Other Classes
Physical Training: The physical training are mostly found in wild or more primitive environment than usual. A good example is an human that is grown by primitive tribes or by mutant animals. But also a streetfighter is possible. Those grown up by animals have the animal speech mutant animal power(aplly to the species they have grown with plus an additional 1 animal species per level of experience).

Ancient Melee Weapons Expert: Same story as Physical Training, but more often than not with be better education. Considering that duels are quite commmon a professional expert like an Ancient Melee Weapon Expert is able to enjoy a fai life. The range melee weapon specialist is kinda rare, but not unheard of, expecially amongst primitive societies and religious orders. The Vaticans has many Bowmans and Swordsman in his special unit "the revelation", together with mystical bestowed and Hunter/Vigilante. Purpose of this unit, born from the old inquisition is to defent the Catholic Religion and the Vatican(as extension humankind) form everything could menace it. Expecially Vampires.

Ancient Masters: Are pretty much the same. Those of eastern heritage come following the opening of the frontier and the flux of migration, while odd as it seem there are a few western ancien masters, who run a life of meditation as hermit, generally in the desert or remote location. Is not surprise that they generally come from from less industrialized areas. Like a greek monastery

Hunter/Vigilante: Like the Ancient Masters they change little. They generally find their homes in the wild inexplorated places, where they could find "preys" that are worth to be hunted, or just decide to use their skill to hunt down prey that DESERVE to be hunted. Only change would be replacing pilot automobile with horsemanship, as in their field is more easy to use a riding mount of some sort than finding an automobile to ride.

The Secret Operative: A good spy will always find a job. Wherever he or she is. Is also one of the few class who start with an advanced steam power vehicle and the skill to use it. also remember than a spy skill is to look incospicuous and unnnoticeable.
Special Options(replace the cybernetic implants as bionics in steampunk universe is ALWAYS obvious):Roll on the following table
    01-25% The psionic power of Ectoplasmic Disguise and alter aura ISP is 4d6+5+ME
    26-50% Two Natural Genius Mental Disciplines(Mind over Matter and sexual charisma are favored)
    51-75% The Psionic power of See Aura, Nightvision and See the invisible. ISP is 2d8+4+ME
    76-00% Minor Eugenetic/bio-wizard reconstruction two modified internal organ(except brain related ones) Adrenal surge, Pheromones and Immune system count as two, one supervision or heightened sense and one genetic weapon of choice : retractable claws or chemical spray or poisoned fangs.

Stage Magician: . Master of tricks and disguises, Need only a clarification. The TV/Video and Surveyllanc esystme , reflect the knowledge on how to perform advanced recording and playing of images and sounds as well as to build illusions. (remeber thant in real history, phongraph was disocvered in 1877, radio started its steps in 1885 and cinema between 1888 and 1895 so in a steampunk setting with advanced tech available is likely they got devloped even faster )

Supersleuth
: Only change is to replace Computer Hacking wiht one espionage or rogue skill of choice, as there are just no enough Ordinateur to jutify this skill for a Snooper.

Natural Genius: No change, they are a staple of steampunk genre. But they are quite rare.

one note about women: While at first time seem like women got few choice or chance of adventure in steampunk setting, this is not entirely true. Sure there are social restrictions , but those do not apply to everyone. Thief, entreneuse, dancers, actress, spies, missionary nuns(as odd as it seem.), political figureheads and exotic strangers (Chinese and American women are often seen as aliens in Albion). Also different species are not expected the same degree of restrictions and self control as normla humans. So mutants and mutant animals women are often not even considered women at all!
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

paws2sky wrote:[*]Psionics are probably not appropriate.
-paws

Actually a friend ran a game that had Psionics in a Steampunkesque world, but the psi had to focus their powers through these large turban-like hats. Without the hats, they had no powers, just potential.
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Maybe some one can make examples of H.U, Steampunk,s characters?
Snake Eyes
Hero

nicely done Baron :ok:
The Dragon Has Spoken
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Snake Eyes wrote:nicely done Baron :ok:

Oh Thanks , one try to do his best, plus I kinda like adapting HU to different setting :D

gaby wrote:Maybe some one can make examples of H.U, Steampunk,s characters?

You've just to ask fella :D

Name: Father Grimm
Alignment: Aberrant
Class: Mystical Bestowed Level-3
Spells:
Sense Evil, Globe of Daylight, Fire fist, Armor of Ithan, Eyes of the Wolf, Dispel Magic Barriers, Exorcism
Havoc, Dimensional Pocket, Fingers of Lictalon, Metamorphosis: Superior, Talisman, Anti-Magic Cloud
P.P.E.: 84
Education Level: Military Specialist. Catholic priest by day, Devilhunter by night
Appearance: Tall, frightening looking, bald, catholic priest. His back carry a big and ornated tatoo of the Cristian Cross, possibly the source of his mystical powers. In his mystical shape he look like an inquisitor, attired in crimson red cloack, eyes glowing of an eeerie light. The two small Crosses and the Religious bead he carry tied aroudn his arm are actual three talisman charged with 50 PPE each

Name: Phineas P. Hogwar
Alignment: Scrupolous
Class: Secret Operative Level-2 Cover identity adventures and gentleman
Souped Up Vehicle Vehicle(Steampunk Vehicle- Rolls Royce): Lightly Armored, Souped up turbo Engine 280 MPH speed, Floatation Device, Oxygen Mask and air supply, Oil Slick, Concealed Front Mounted Machinegun, Flight Capability(retractable wings!) speed 150 MPH Altitude 2000 ft no VTOL, Bulletproof windshield
special Weapons: Concealed Sword in his walking cane, Steam powered Heat gun(equal to a laser) , 6 flash grenades and 6 gas/steam grenades
Optional: Mental Disciplines: Clinical Outlook, Iron Willpower
Education Level: As per Secret Operative.
Appearence: A pleasan looking man, with well groomed moustaches and eyes sparlking with intelligence. He is always at the top of elegance and no one had ever seen him acting in a way less then polite , even when engagin in a fight.

Name: Amelie Lechat "passpartout"
Alignment: Unprincipled
Class: Mutant Animal Level-4 Maid, Housekeeper and Handywoman for her employer, Phineas P. Hogwar
Race: Persian Cat
Size Level: 7
Height: 5ft 5 inches/165 cm
Weight: 88lbs
Hands: Full
Biped: Full
Speech: Full
Look: None
Natural Weapon:
Retractable Climbing Claw 1d6 damage
1d6 damage biting teeth
Mutant Animal Powers
Advanced Vision
Nightvision
Righting Reflex
Leaping Rodent
Extra Physical Prowess
Vestigial Disadvantage
Vestigial Tail
Diet Carnivore
Catnip Addition
Education: Educated and Trained as normal human by a circus
Appearence: a wiry humanoid cat. She was an acrobats and this is obvious from her body being storng and msucolar even if amazingly agile. She is cute looking but not over beautyful or sexy. Is seen oftne in french maid outfit, or wearing traveling clothes, trousers, shirt, jacket and an hat. No shoes, like many mutant animals she prefer walking barefoot.

Princess Auda Bophay
Alignment Principled
Class: Latent Psionic. Psionic are very common amongs Hindu people. Sadly this often transalates in forced priesthood or being sacrificed to gods, like would have happened to her if she had not been saved by Phineas P. Hogwar, during one of his adventures. Level- 2
Psionic Powers:Clairvoyance, Empathy, Mind Block, Presence Sense, See Aura, See the invisible, Sense Evil, Sixth Sense, Death Trance, Float
Super Psionic Power: Empathic Transfer
I.S.P.: 69
Education Level: Equal to two year of college
Appearence: A very good looking indian princess. Her eyes are surpringly deep blue, and one can't help losing himself into them.

William Cody "the metal kid"
Alignment: Aberrant
Class: cyborg, Full conversion. Level 6th. He survived and got back from death as a metallic gunslinger in search of vengeance
Bionic Arms and Hands: PS 22 , PP 24
Bionic Legs and Feet: PS 24, Spd. 77
Bionic Lungs
Full Body exoskeleton
Full Bionic Armor
Concealed Arm Gun Right Arm: Automatic Weapon: rifle
Retractable Blades , 2 , left Arm
Finger Gun, the middle finger of both hands
Left Eye with Telescopic vision
Concealed Holsters in both legs +2 initiative to use the gun hold there
Education Level: On the job training - Cowboy and gunslinger. What else?
Appearence: A cyborg Cowboy, complete of trenchcoat and rugged hat. Half of his face had been destoryed and is just metallic plating. Wasn't for this he would look a nice looking 32 years old looking man
From his back pop out the two exahustion tube for the steam engines. The amount of steam produced depend on the amount of activity he is involved.
Last edited by The Baron of chaos on Tue May 12, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Snake Eyes
Hero

Cool :ok:
The Dragon Has Spoken
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Great hope thers more.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Hope more will show ther ideas.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

No body have come up any more ideas?
The Baron of chaos
Champion

gimme time

Steampunk Setting add on
Symbiotes: The symbitoes are relic of ancient past, muhc like magic weapons and infact the two are fotne associated together. The main difference is that symbiotes are organic and had all the needs of the living , the magic weapons not. Synbiotes are long living organism that grant amazing powers to the host. Church call them the wept of god, and most culture consider them on certain level of respect and fear. Modern Alchemy is not completely able to create them, albeit they learned about the breeding process of some of the most common species, albiet symbiont do not breed well in captivity. So there is always a request of symbiotes to hunters, who run expedition in the most isolate and exotic location(Africa and far east asia are the most common locations for such hunting expedition) to hunt for symbiote. Amongst the nobility there is the habit to bond a symbiont with an pet animal host, creating the most fashionable and terrific guard dog/pet possible. This is not always possible as some symbiont can bond only with humanoid host.

Symbiont Origin Table
01-20% China
21-40% Tibet
41-60% Africa
61-80% South America
81-00% Relic form an ancient past(discovered in a tomb)

Symbiote Appearence: No change Same as Symbiotic appearence

Symbiote Intelligence: 1d6+5 High Intelligence, and communicate with host through a natural form of empathy

Food Source and Benefits gaine from the host: no change

Super Abilities
01-25% Bio-Armor or APS rubber and 1d4x1.000.000$ Eugenic features(except internal organs)
26-50% Weapon Melding or ME: Metal plus 3d6x250.000$ of robotic system included those not Normally Available to a steampunk setting
51-70% Gun-Limb , APS of limb and 1d6+1 spells from level 1-6 that are associated with the "bullets" can't cast normally
71-00% Roll as per usual symbiote powers
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Doing good.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

What no more ideas?
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Well i've some ideas, but don't know, I've to develope them. As they are now they are quite un-original
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Doing great hope,others will show ther steampunk style,s Hu,s characters.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

TrumbachD wrote:Now a Transferred Intelligence robot could be done, providing that there's a base for magic and psionics in your world. I could totally see a human soul/psionic essence running a steam-powered robot.

My copy of HU Revised suggests that the only transferred intelligence is technological,and way beyond the steampunk tech level. Plus the Palladium Fantasy warlock spell is a self only deal so unless you actually are the warlock you have a problem, Is there a source for a magic/psionic mind transfer? if not, what should the PPE/ISP cost be?

Control and Enslave Machine
Lvl 10
Range: 30 feet
Duration: 48 hours per level
Saving Throw: None, but mage must save vs. electrical feedback (14 or better, PE bonus applies) or have his brain fried (2d4X10 HP damage)
P.P.E. cost: 80
This incantation can be used to control machinery such as robots. At the end of this spell, the mage must roll a second saving throw to disconnect from the robot.

Control Robot
Lvl 11
Range: 600 feet
Duration: 5 hours per level
Saving Throw: None
P.P.E. cost: 125
This allows the mage to control the robot like a puppet. When activated, the mage can access any of the robot's systems with no harm to himself.

Mentally Possess Robot
Super Psionic Power
Range: Touch
Duration: 5 minutes per level
I.S.P. cost: 30
The master psionics can completely take over and control a robot. While in the robot, he cannot access any of its data, retaining his own mind only, nor alter any of its programming.

You could also use Telemechanics for this purpose.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

Imagine if the computer had been invented in 1837 and steam powered robots, steam powered hovercars and atomic weapons had existed in the time of the old west and Victorian England. The robot spider vehicle in the Wild Wild West movie starring Will Smith was an example of steampunk.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

The trippy thing is that someone designed a working punch card type computer in the mid-1800s but the British Ministry of Science wouldn't fund its construction. Steampunk could have been a reality and is a valid alternate timeline idea.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

gmapprentice wrote:sweet..... i'd like to know more about the steampunk setting's tech level and what society is like.

There is information on that in this thread and the one I started. For an overview of steampunk, you can read more about it by linking to the following article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Steam power is about building enough pressure and then pressing it through pipes and valves to make gears turn. Steampunk mechanics are very clockwork in nature. That is, gears catching on grooves of other gears and causing parts to rotate and turn.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I think many steam engines ran on coal, like locomotives. They would burn the coal, using it to create the steam, filling the engine with the hot gas that resulted. That's all I really know about it myself.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

gmapprentice wrote:are there any engineers, scientist or historian rpg-er's here that can help more??

You could just look it up online, you know.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The sides of steam Lockomotives have their menchanics exposed to observations
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

A lot of Steampunk machines are designed that way, with a lot of clockwork parts exposed.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”