Robots and PA...How Magnetic are they?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Robots and PA...How Magnetic are they?

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Would the metal used on 'Bots and Power armour be attracted by a magnet?

How about TW Items made of metal do they lose magnetic properties as they get enchanted? This would a affect if a metal detector can find them.

and for that matter Magical items...A Battle magi goes through a metal detector with his Death bringer or Favorite Rune sword does it get spotted?
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Re: Robots and PA...How Magnetic are they?

Unread post by rat_bastard »

GM's call 100%
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

I agree with Bastard.

Btw, for what it's worth, I always thought of M.D.C. armour as composites and ceramics and not metal, however M.D.C. weapons are composites with metal.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Oh, and anything with a rail gun in it has ferrous materials.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Rimmerdal wrote:Would the metal used on 'Bots and Power armour be attracted by a magnet?

I don't have it handy at the moment, but check out CB1, the section on the Magnetism power.

How about TW Items made of metal do they lose magnetic properties as they get enchanted?

No.

and for that matter Magical items...A Battle magi goes through a metal detector with his Death bringer or Favorite Rune sword does it get spotted?

Yes.
If it's metal.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

rearnakedchoke wrote:I always thought that unless the description says it's made of ceramics and plastics, then it's metal and can be effected like any other.

Fun Fact: Most kinds of metal are non-magnetic.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Killer Cyborg
Priest

CB1, p. 48
Note that many of the types of body armor, energy weapons, and bionics have no or little metal, and most bots, borgs and power armor are composed of non-magnetic metal alloys, ceramics, and other non-magnetic materials.

Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

rearnakedchoke wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
rearnakedchoke wrote:I always thought that unless the description says it's made of ceramics and plastics, then it's metal and can be effected like any other.

Fun Fact: Most kinds of metal are non-magnetic.

Well I was never a big fan of Magneto anyway...

Of course, even frogs are magnetic, if you use a large enough (and non-static) magnetic field. :lol:
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

cool, I got the issue solved.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

Rogue_Scientist wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:Would the metal used on 'Bots and Power armour be attracted by a magnet?

I don't have it handy at the moment, but check out CB1, the section on the Magnetism power.

Point.

Counter-point: The same book lists that most bots, vehicles, and PA are affected by the Air Elemental spell Electro-Magnetism. Which has since been reproduced in the BoM, making it a fairly up-to-date ruling.

Which has precedence? *shrug* I dunno...

Pg 67 CB1 Electro-magnitism: Any iron or iron alloy that enters its radius will be irresistably drawn to the center of the field... This will include iron objects in knapsacks, pockets, belt buckles, tools, rail guns and their ammunition, vehicles, bots, etc. (borgs and cybernetics are not made of iron).

So even in the spell it says no to at least borgs and cybernetics being magnetic. Nothing is said about PA in this spell description
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Rogue_Scientist wrote:Do we care? What's the purpose of your post?

Was there someone who was asking specifically about borgs or cybernetics? Where was that issue brought up?

Also, what part of the bolded material makes you think PA would be excluded? Aren't PA suits normally lumped in with robots and vehicles? Don't they carry ammunition?

What is with people thread crapping lately?

The purpose of his post was to say something that disagrees with your post. What's your problem? You seem to be the one 'thread crapping'.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Rimmerdal wrote:and for that matter Magical items...A Battle magi goes through a metal detector with his Death bringer or Favorite Rune sword does it get spotted?

IIRC a rune weapon has to be made of stone.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

ZorValachan wrote:
Rogue_Scientist wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Point.

Counter-point: The same book lists that most bots, vehicles, and PA are affected by the Air Elemental spell Electro-Magnetism. Which has since been reproduced in the BoM, making it a fairly up-to-date ruling.

Which has precedence? *shrug* I dunno...

Pg 67 CB1 Electro-magnitism: Any iron or iron alloy that enters its radius will be irresistably drawn to the center of the field... This will include iron objects in knapsacks, pockets, belt buckles, tools, rail guns and their ammunition, vehicles, bots, etc. (borgs and cybernetics are not made of iron).

So even in the spell it says no to at least borgs and cybernetics being magnetic. Nothing is said about PA in this spell description

Also, the sentence structurally reads:
"This will include iron objects in... vehicles, bots, etc."

Key word being "in."

IF you happen to have a vehicle or bot with (ferrous) metal objects in it, then the magnetism will affect the metal objects.
But nothing indicates that to be the norm, especially for the object overall.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

The Beast wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:and for that matter Magical items...A Battle magi goes through a metal detector with his Death bringer or Favorite Rune sword does it get spotted?

IIRC, they're usually metal, but some can be made of stone.

I thought they made a big deal about Stone Rune Weapons when they mentioned them.

But I don't feel like researching this one out.

rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Killer Cyborg wrote:
The Beast wrote:

IIRC, they're usually metal, but some can be made of stone.

I thought they made a big deal about Stone Rune Weapons when they mentioned them.

But I don't feel like researching this one out.

I know Japanese Rune weapons are metal.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Ok, nevermind. WB2 says they're made of either metal or hard stone.
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Rogue_Scientist wrote:
ZorValachan wrote:Pg 67 CB1 Electro-magnitism: Any iron or iron alloy that enters its radius will be irresistably drawn to the center of the field... This will include iron objects in knapsacks, pockets, belt buckles, tools, rail guns and their ammunition, vehicles, bots, etc. (borgs and cybernetics are not made of iron).

Do we care? What's the purpose of your post?

Was there someone who was asking specifically about borgs or cybernetics? Where was that issue brought up?

Also, what part of the bolded material makes you think PA would be excluded? Aren't PA suits normally lumped in with robots and vehicles? Don't they carry ammunition?

What is with people thread crapping lately?

The OP specifically asked the question. You gave your opinion and a summary of what you thought a spell was. I gave the actual quote and PG number so Others could look it up, as well as showing that borgs and cybernetics were specifically excluded in being iron/magnetic from the spell you mentioned.

The fact that Borgs and cybernetics are excluded in the electro-magnetism spell, you stating PA was mentioned in the electro-magnetism spell (which as I showed, it is not) as well as KC's quote (also with pg number)

CB1, p. 48
Quote:
Note that many of the types of body armor, energy weapons, and bionics have no or little metal, and most bots, borgs and power armor are composed of non-magnetic metal alloys, ceramics, and other non-magnetic materials.

With Borgs and cybernetics as well as Armour being excluded, PA could be as well. Some PA uses energy, not railguns. Borgs and Bots (the Bots with AI, human sized) are basically the same. Only one has a brain of a once creature and the other has an artificial one. So in a way, yes, what applies to Borgs, would apply to some bots.
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Karandor wrote:As far as things go with electro-magnetic abilites I'd say it's up to the GM. Most robots and PA would have lots of metal in them if not in the plating, then in the moving parts and joints. If it's enough to pull or push the PA or robot is a tougher call.

I think nuclear reactions create a pretty strong magnetic field though so you could always fall back on that as an excuse.

metal does not = magnetic.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:Umm, robots and PAs all, generally, have nuke reactors and use electricity. For either, there's ferrous metal involved.

...That is a good point. I was in non-magnetic side, but they inherently generate electromagic feilds...
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
sasha
Adventurer

Unread post by sasha »

The OP is about the armour, not the internals, however.
sasha
Adventurer

Unread post by sasha »

rearnakedchoke wrote:
sasha wrote:The OP is about the armour, not the internals, however.

The internals are part of the armor. What effects one, effects the other.
Perhaps however you're not going to find a magnet that would suck the power supply out of the bot.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

sasha wrote:
rearnakedchoke wrote:
sasha wrote:The OP is about the armour, not the internals, however.

The internals are part of the armor. What effects one, effects the other.
Perhaps however you're not going to find a magnet that would suck the power supply out of the bot.

Hey, if Magneto can suck the Adamantium out of Wolverines bones...
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
sasha
Adventurer

Unread post by sasha »

Shielding, fereday cages, ceramics, and distance are the engineer's friends.
sasha
Adventurer

Unread post by sasha »

Faraday cages will block some magnetism.
You can use other things like metal foam, mu-metal, superconductors/Meissner-Ochsenfeld effect, and probably a bunch of stuff I never heard of. :)
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:Umm, robots and PAs all, generally, have nuke reactors and use electricity. For either, there's ferrous metal involved.

Silver is conductive (the best) and is non-ferrous.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:
Subjugator wrote:

Silver is conductive (the best) and is non-ferrous.

/Sub

It's melting point is too low for the stuff robots and PAs would be required to withstand.

And remember, nuclear power is just another way to turn a big magnet in a coil and generate electricity. Just like steam and coal. If you're making electrical power, you've got a magnet somewhere inside.

I thought that it used steam to turn the turbine?

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Rogue_Scientist wrote:
el magico -- darklorddc wrote:Any of you engineer types know of a means of producing electricity and then utilizing that electricty, that doesn't involve any ferrous materials?

No.

Well, there's static electricity. You don't need a magnet for that.
Sure, we don't have a good way to utilize static electricity in any useful level of power, but that wasn't the question.
And, according to wikipedia, Daleks were powered by static electricity, so the notion of using it as a power source wouldn't be unprecedented.

And I'm pretty sure that you can make batteries without using magnets or ferrous materials.

Granted, power armor and such doesn't seem to work off of batteries or static electricity, but that wasn't the question. ;)

Anyway, the books don't say that power armor is always made of 100% non-magnetic material, only that they have "little to no" magnetic material in them.
Meaning that there is likely to be some, but nothing usable to magnetism-type powers.

Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Betavoltaic or optoelectric systems don't need magnets or have to use ferrous metals to generate electricity from nuclear reactions. And considering what people are getting upto today with the various carbon nanotube-derivatives, I'd have to wonder if even the wiring in a Rifts mecha would be metal (seriously, nanotubes can do anything).
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg

Return to “Rifts®”