Land of the south Winds, Palladium Orient.

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Vidynn
Adventurer

Re: Land of the south Winds, Palladium Orient.

Unread post by Vidynn »

I always played the LoSW like a Palladium-version of Northern Africa / Arabia. But China/India would make a nice reference too. I sure hope that when (if!) PB finally gets a sourcebook on the LoSW out, they make it less "fantasy generic" than say Timiro.
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I've long had it as being somewhat like SE Asia.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Ninjabunny wrote:Kind of like a Vietnam Thailand Korea feel?

I like a handful of large independent kingdoms. The PF main book says the land is swampy and flat land, so it's not hard to think of the "Lands of the south winds" To be divided up into smaller kingdoms.

Vietnam/Thailand, not Korea (substantially north of there).

Basically, it's holiday in Cambodia. Don't forget to pack a wife.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I also play it like vietnam type and with huts on stilts and raised stone roads, lots of marsh and swampland too.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Greg Diaczyk
Comment: The Official "Wayne Smith Clone"

Unread post by Greg Diaczyk »

After the article I was talking with Kevin a little bit about it (and Julius confirmed as much at the Open House) that the Land of the South Winds was actually an Indian like society (as in East Indian/Asia, not North American), who were heavy into snake worshipping.

I also left the artcle kind of vague cause I know many people have a different opinion on what the Orient should be like.

Personally though I thought the name Land of the South Wind sounded more Japanesish and I found that the Japanese feudal system sounded like a little bit better model to play with for the country's government (and did so in my play testing campaign). But the "China" element did bear alot of weight on the more mystical/magical aspects of the Orient and thus the blending of the two in the article.

In summary I wanted anyone to take any type of oriental character or sterotype and be able to play them using the rules from Ninja's and Superspies/Mystic China and Rifts Japan in their Palladium Fatasy Campaign.
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"
Palladium Freelance Writer and Editor

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”