Will we ever see new BTS books?

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Re: Will we ever see new BTS books?

Unread post by Lord Z »

Was there any mention of this in the Open House two weeks ago?
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Maybe later in the year or Next year.
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

I posted a note about this a few weeks ago in a previous topic, let me find it and I'll repost it here. :)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
mrloucifer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

mrloucifer wrote:I posted a note about this a few weeks ago in a previous topic, let me find it and I'll repost it here. :)

Here it is...

As promised I asked a few question about the state of Beyond the Supernatural, and these are snippets of what was said/done (I don’t have much time before I out for the weekend again, so snippets will have to do.)

-Kevin said point blank that he has ideas and plans for at least 4 or 5 books and he wants to write them. His plan of action currently is to get the books out that he can write/publish quickly and once those are out then he can sit down to sink his teeth into the BTS books.
He also mentioned that BTS books typically take 2-3 months to write due to their complexity (which as I sit here still slowly progressing on my own writing for a BTS sourcebook I can vouch for the time involved).

-While helping set up the shop with Kevin he did ask me outright about how the progress of my sourcebook was coming along. Reading between the lines a little there it says to me that he’s still interested in the series rather than not.

-I had the privilege Saturday night to talk to Alex M., it was supposed to be a quick 5 minute conversation, but it quickly turned into one that went on for hours (Wayne finally kicked up out around 12:30am). Besides learning what a great conversationalist Alex is, I learned some of the back story of writing the BTS2 book and what research Alex and Kevin put into it and for the next books (I wont go into details, I’ll leave Alex to do that if he’s interested).
What I can say is that he said Tomb Grotesque and Beyond Arcanum would have come out soon after BTS2 did, but the Crisis of Treachery took place just as Kevin was ramping up to write them.

-Sadly, I didn’t get a great opportunity to get into the plans for the magic system of BTS with Kevin. But the few snippets I got made it sound like magic will work in a similar capacity like Psionics in that they’re weak and usually inept without the presence of the Supernatural to energize their abilities.

-Jeff Hanson is hard at work on the “Urban Jungle” book and it will be using the same core rule system as BTS (and the recent Dead Reign). I got to see his sneak preview of Urban Jungle and I think it will be a great addition to the series and will offer a lot in the way of gangster and police stats, weapons, equip and such for use in BTS. Those of you who haven’t read the “Warpath” book written by Jeff, I encourage you to order it on the Palladium site or Amazon as it’s a good book (I’ve read twice with plans for a third soon.)

-Besides myself, there were a few other blokes who seemed interested in writing a BTS sourcebook as well, so you never can tell what’s coming with BTS… its just a matter of time.

P.S. Speaking of my stuff, I introduced one of my entities that I’ve written for my sourcebook during my VIP night Ghost Story adventure, and it met with high praise along with other new things I plan to write in. Its nice getting confirmation from other gm’s / players who like what I’ve done so far.
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

My own correspondence with Kevin more or less amounts to the same thing, they want to make BTS2, they just have to put other priorities further up the list at the moment. A book that can be made in half the time and will sell probably twice as well as a BTS book is just more important to the company right now.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

There is some truth to that, but right now you could say the same for more Robotech Books, more Nightbane books and more PFRPG books and to my understanding those lines have done commercially better than BTS2. Then there's also Rifts which traditionally sells well even when there's a glut of it out there. The relative production drought of the last 5 years means that fans from all the Palladium lines are Jonesing right now.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
mrloucifer

Jefffar wrote:There is some truth to that, but right now you could say the same for more Robotech Books, more Nightbane books and more PFRPG books and to my understanding those lines have done commercially better than BTS2.

I blame the lack of product for the commercial deficiency, but thats another topic all together. :P
–H.P. Lovecraft

Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

Ninjabunny wrote:The BtS sourse books are some of the most awaited they'd sell like hot cakes because we want them that bad. Supply and demand, this is in high demand but theres no supply. :(

Im afraid BTS-2 sold really bad - take a look at Dead Reign, I guess it sold quite good or otherwise PB wouldnt have been that quick in releasing a sourcebook. if BTS-2 would have sold like hot cakes, it would get support. but of course, it doesnt sell good cause it gets no support and is incomplete. AAAAAAH! :badbad:
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
mrloucifer

I know Ive mentioned this on several other posts on this paticualr forum... but its not the case at all. There have been books planned for years (Ive seen the artwork and many of the notes for Tome Grotesque and Ive talked to Both Kevin and Alex at great length about more books being planned) and they will one day see the light of day.

I understand where this is coming from as I am the self proclaimed #1 BTS fan, but there are hold ups and things behind the scenes that are slowing them down right now. But be patient, more is coming gang!

Sigh... if I can get time, I may sit down and write it all out again with updated info to help relieve your worries.
–H.P. Lovecraft

Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Palladium's financial crisis intersected all this and compounded by chronic missing release dates snowballed into a strategic shift, I think.
BtS-2 is still playable, so I'm not going to complain even if I am rather disappointed.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

I play it a lot without a problem. I don't find incorporating magic to be difficult whatsoever. So then. To each his own in regards to playability.

Certainly waiting until it was completed is valid complaint - as I said, it's frustrating to not have a complete game.

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”