bio-regeneration

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: bio-regeneration

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I can see two answer to the natural bio-regen.
1) They have a bald spot till the hair slowly re-grows.
2) They being has a natural hair length and the Nat. Bio-regen will restore the hair to it's natural length.

PSI Bio-regen. would use #1 of the above.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

jester_79 wrote:how does natural bio-regeneration and the psionic bio-regeneration abilities/powers affect some one that has had loss or hair/fur due to damage from say lightning, energy attacks, or like fireballs? an example a wolfen with psionic powers is hit by a fireball and it uses bio-regeneration to heal itself, does the fur grow back as it heals or is there a bald patch where the fur has to grow back?

Do Mind Melters ever get haircuts? because if bio-regeneration regrows hair, then they can never cut their hair.

Suffice it to say, It does not regrow hair.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
kmspade
Explorer

Unread post by kmspade »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I can see two answer to the natural bio-regen.
2) They being has a natural hair length and the Nat. Bio-regen will restore the hair to it's natural length.

I think I would go with option 2. A mind melter with bio-regen would have a high level of unconscious control over its body. Kind of like "residual self image" in the matrix. His hair would appear exactly like he thinks it should. So I would say a mind melter would not need to spend his hard earned credits at the barber shop. You could also argue that hair is biological and therefore would regrow same as skin and muscle.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

kmspade wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I can see two answer to the natural bio-regen.

I think I would go with option 2. A mind melter with bio-regen would have a high level of unconscious control over its body. Kind of like "residual self image" in the matrix. His hair would appear exactly like he thinks it should. So I would say a mind melter would not need to spend his hard earned credits at the barber shop. You could also argue that hair is biological and therefore would regrow same as skin and muscle.

Did you happen to notice that the options I posted were for "natural Bio-regen"?

Psi Bio-regen is control over the "living" parts of the body, not the dead parts. So unless the Psi's hair is actually fine tentacles, Psi bio-regen would leave a bald spot where the damage was.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

Did you happen to notice that the options were for "natural Bio-regen"?

First No, The options were NOT for Natural Bio-regen, infact rather he asked for ALL regens both Psi and otherwise. So No, he did not specify "Natural only" or "Non-natural" (whatever you ment by that. The above poster didn't miss anything and was at least partelly correct about the self image thing to boot.

Second; I have no clue why you'd assume that the fact that Hair is "Not living" as a good reason for it not being able to be regrown via The Psi regen power or anyother, since no such statements are ever even hinted at in the books. That's just a speculative assumption at this stage. For instance, even though everyone SAYS that human bone "is alive", technically it is a majority of Non-living calcium Created and surrounded by Living Cells , But it is in and of itself not alive as there is No such thing as a "Calcium Cell" (IE: a cell made up of Calcium). If your just assuming that "Bio-Regen" powers Just enhance existing healing properties of life forms than your wrong.

There is NO ability within the human body, short of using your own bare hands, that allows for the human body to PULL a compound fractured bone Back into your flesh And Then heal it! However Many bio-regen powers could in fact do this. And in the case of the Psi-power (which does require at leats a modum of setting of the bone), you need Very little of such effort.

So it is more than a little safe to say that Bio-Regen Powers use a combination of both "Increased Natural Healing" with some messure of direct "Directed Bio-Kinetic" manipulation. What this means is that a creature (with a cell structure) has somekind of soul based Template which their healing powers try and Re-set their damaged forms back to, As well as increasing/augmenting/or jump starting ones normal natural regeneration rates to rediculous levels.

When Kevin or PB talks about healing, they describe Both effects... Meaning that it is not at all hard to believe that hair can be regrown.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
jester_79 wrote:how does natural bio-regeneration and the psionic bio-regeneration abilities/powers affect some one that has had loss or hair/fur due to damage from say lightning, energy attacks, or like fireballs? an example a wolfen with psionic powers is hit by a fireball and it uses bio-regeneration to heal itself, does the fur grow back as it heals or is there a bald patch where the fur has to grow back?

Do Mind Melters ever get haircuts? because if bio-regeneration regrows hair, then they can never cut their hair.

Suffice it to say, It does not regrow hair.
Suffice it to say that ones issues with getting a hair cut would never ever have any barring on issues pertaining to healing and Bio-regen! And secondly, unless a Mind Melter is living with his/her/or its' psi-power being on ALL DAY (very ISP costly one would think), the hair issue would Only come up when they Do in fact use bio-regen.... Which for their sakes would Not be That often.

Next of all, since the psi-power of Bio-Regen is both Learned And must be Initiated to work, one can easily assume (this is an assumption only) that at least Some messure of control over What parts of your body (and how much of your body) you choose to heal by simply Stopping the process in that location... Meaning that "should hair begin to grow to unwanted levels, you can simply Stop it.
In the case of Uncontrolled Natural Bio-Regeneration... No! Your hair is likely gonna be unmanagable!
<Read: It's gonna grow allot>

Addendum; if you look at Evolution and sepecifically natural selection (and yes, Christians Can bring it up as Christians have always acknowledged the existance of selective breeding/natural selection, just not the Monkey Love end of the straw :lol: -not that I'm much of a Christian) but it would be Safe to say that Any race with Natural Bio-Regen but w/o a modum of restrictiveness over that growth, would wind-up having Miles long Hair that would get them killed off.

Example: Hair on your own body (not head hair) only grows to a point. When it gorws more than the norm it is often only in responce to an outside stimulus, like cold wheather or lack of food (as seen in girls.people who suffer from anorexia). What all this implies is that Yes, their hair grows back, but JUST back to the PRE-DAMAGED state... Then it stops.

It's also safe to say that an and all such regenerations that hair would regenerate back Faster than when it initialy grew, but still noticeably slower than anyother healings on the body.

So, to sum it all up:
Initiated & controlled healing powers (such as the psi-power Bio-Regeneration) Most likely Can heal back hair, but just to it's Pre-Damaged state. Additionally, this only take place with resently damaged hair. Hair (or for that matter Any body parts) injured to far back (1-2 weeks) will likely stay damaged and be reliant on nromal growth and healing.

Beings with "Natural Bio-regeneration", if part of their species, would likely have evolved/adapted some genetic limiter to hair growth. Those recently given such healing would likely have unwanted hair growth that would be hard to get rid of it (See Examples: Superman-DC Comics & Iron Eagle-Villains UL). In those cases they'd have to go to great lengths to get rid of it.

In the case of supers like Wolverine, he ONLY ever grows hair in responce to subconscience desier... If he's mad, it starts growing like crazy, get course and think. If he's trying to resist his animal nature 9like when he went for a pig shave some yaers back) it grows back slowly-by regeneration standards. IfWHEN he gets injured, his hair grows back at the same general rate as to the rest of his body.

'jester_79' I hope that answeres your question
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Steeler49er wrote:; I have no clue why you'd assume that the fact that Hair is "Not living" as a good reason for it not being able to be re-grown via The Psi regen power or any-other,

Hair, the filament that a hair follicle makes, is like finger nails, is made up of dead cells. Thus, it is not living.
Sort of like the outer layer of skin is made up of dead cells.
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

Knew that's what you wer in referance to, but I just kinda figured that PB wouldn't hold that to much against you.
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

*shrugs* to each game there be house rules.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”