Rifter Morphus tables made Canon :D

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

NB Survival Guide?

excited
33%
waiting expectently
18%
waiting till you get it to get excited
5%
waiting till you get it to pass judgement
11%
I'll wait to see what others post about it
5%
bacon
21%
carrots
8%

Total votes: 66

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Rifter Morphus tables made Canon :D

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

F-Day Murmur wrote: So what was the delay? There were some places where the authors didn’t take the material far enough or didn’t cover all contingencies, so I had to add material. Then, they made the mistake of taking “fan” published work from The Rifter® and putting it into the book with only a few minor tweaks. That was the new Morphus section. I had three major problems with that. 1) Since they had appeared in The Rifter®, these Morphuses weren’t exactly, um, “new.” 2) The material was from 5-6 different authors, each written in a difference style, each in a different format, each at a different level of quality. 3) Many were not fleshed out enough or were not awesome enough. I spent nearly two weeks rewriting the Morphuses, creating a few completely new tables and making them all fully fleshed out, consistent, completely playable (not any of that, "we leave the specifics to the player or G.M." stuff) and fun.

While he didn't say which tables were being put in, it is nice to see them being published in a canon gamebook. Now with a few of the tales we players can go :crane: to the GM and say they 'are canon', not just optional.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
wildhood
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Pickup my 1st Palladium RPG Book back in 1990.

Re: Rifter Morphus tables made Canon :D

Unread post by wildhood »

Still need to replace my old books when I rip them up after I got really sick.
I don t beleive I m using my XBOX One to post on here.
Undisiplined Veritech Pilots don t pilot Veritechs they pilot Verideck.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Karsus wrote:I chose Bacon AND Carrots. :roll:

For the smart@$$3$ out there, that is why those choices were included.

Wishes more people would add more choices to their polls, cause 40% of the time the answer for that question is not a part of the choices given.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:While he didn't say which tables were being put in, it is nice to see them being published in a canon gamebook. Now with a few of the tales we players can go :crane: to the GM and say they 'are canon', not just optional.
To which the GM may reply, "Not in my game."
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

Misfit KotLD wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:While he didn't say which tables were being put in, it is nice to see them being published in a canon gamebook. Now with a few of the tales we players can go :crane: to the GM and say they 'are canon', not just optional.

To wich the player may reply..."ok then I' ll go home and I'll bring my dice with me pllllllllll" :lol:
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

The Baron of chaos wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:

To wich the player may reply..."ok then I' ll go home and I'll bring my dice with me pllllllllll" :lol:
Then the player plays with himself while the game marches on.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

I've always been ambivalent about many of the tables from the Rifter. Some are good, some don't picque my interest.

I'm pretty hopeful the new book will have some great stuff.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Misfit KotLD wrote:
The Baron of chaos wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:

Then the player plays with himself while the game marches on.

That guy gets 100 xp for clever, useful idea or action!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

two weeks rewriting Morphus-tables? what a waste!
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Vidynn wrote:two weeks rewriting Morphus-tables? what a waste!

he probibly had to 'nerf' them down a bit, or edit out AR bonuses and such. Then rewrite the description.
I also think he was doing 'other stuff' too while he was rewriting.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

My faviote Nightbane tables are from Rifter #20 "THEMED NIGHTBANE" tables.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:For the record, we avoided the more "over-the-top" power level stuff and focused on things that gave the players a wider variety of morphus, as opposed to just stacking on more SDC and bonuses.

Hopefully "avoidance" included ignoring the A.R. provided in some of those Rifter Morphus tables and the "Mecha Themed" table :D
Congrats on the book Irvin and Mark!
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:I'd be interested in people's opinions on A.R.s. I'm definitely an advocate for more use of A.R.s in SDC games., and I think some morphus, like biomechanical armor, stone and insect shell morphs should give you a REASONABLE A.R. (the 10-16 range, generally)

I personally see no matter what the morphus (stone, metal, etc.) they are still made of flesh that just looks like that. Taking on the appearance of a material does not give its abilities. Also since none of the book ones had A.R. seemed kind of weird to suddenly starting adding them now.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:
Acyd Byrn wrote:But none in the corebook and previous supplements. Dont get me wrong, I like the A.R. in the NSG, but me thinks there should be some sort of note on how to apply/modify the previous morphus's (morphii?) so that they too can share in this benefit.

A good point.
I'll talk to Mark and Kevin about that and maybe we can figure out how to do that. No promises, but I'll advocate for it.

Definitely a good point, and already something I planned on doing. :) Since the NSG has shipped, I'll be on to my next Nightbane supplement once I finish up the comprehensive spaceship creation rules I'm working on. I don't want to give too much away about it yet, but I'm going solo on this one (while Irvin works on his own) and it will be a perfect place for this kind of housekeeping stuff.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Acyd Byrn wrote:But none in the corebook and previous supplements. Dont get me wrong, I like the A.R. in the NSG, but me thinks there should be some sort of note on how to apply/modify the previous morphus's (morphii?) so that they too can share in this benefit.

Morphus is both singular and plural, much like fish is singular and plural.

Morphus's is the possessive form of morphus. "The morphus's unearthly look."

As for NB/S having a Nat AR, It should only if the morphus's features are such, like bio-mechanical/Knight/stone, that the concept/form would look like it would have an AR.
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:As for NB/S having a Nat AR, It should only if the morphus's features are such, like bio-mechanical/Knight/stone, that the concept/form would look like it would have an AR.

That's what I stuck with. Unfortunately, it seems that there are some features in the book that should have NAR but don't... something I'll have to talk to Kev about and see why he wrote them that way. :-?
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Morphus is both singular and plural, much like fish is singular and plural.

Morphus's is the possessive form of morphus. "The morphus's unearthly look."

As for NB/S having a Nat AR, It should only if the morphus's features are such, like bio-mechanical/Knight/stone, that the concept/form would look like it would have an AR.

Nightbanes are somewhat akin to demon and supernaturally tough they should have a low A.R. to start since most Palladium animals & monster have an A.R., I always a summed the Nightbane's body was not just cosmetic in appearance since they can be made of metal, weeds, stone, flames, smoke, shadow and even ethereal. With all the high combat bonuses for the all the creatures in just the core book and Night Lands even a high A.R. is not usually going to come into play except with range weapons. Guess limiting the A.R. give humans a better chance of killing a Nightbane with firearms thou.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

I have a question. Would a Nightbane with both Zombie Master & Guardian Angel talents be able to protect his zombie with the GA talent or do zombies not count as people?
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

runebeo wrote:I have a question. Would a Nightbane with both Zombie Master & Guardian Angel talents be able to protect his zombie with the GA talent or do zombies not count as people?

Ooh... good question. I'd say that would be a GM ruling. Personally, I'd base it on just how screwed up in the head that particular 'Bane was. :lol:
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Morphus's is the possessive form of morphus. "The morphus's unearthly look."
No, not really. If the word ends in an s, an apostrophe is added after the s to show possession. This rule is regardless of the word being singular or plural.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:There are several morphus forms in the new book that have armor ratings.
Good! The utter lack of it never made any sence to me...

But did you keep the Aberrant Blood tables, cuz those were Fun! Animated blood, Fire blood, Never ending blood, Bloodless-Those were all so fun to have in my games.
Waysenna had a problem with the Fire Blood constantly Burnning off her clothes.
Matts Mustered Blood was a running gag that he kept RPing withSuch flare.
And Scotts Neverending blood and his Eternal wounds, just made a mess of his stealthing skills... He was Always smelled from a mile away by dogs... And FORGET swimmin in the Ocean! Shark central!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________RATTZ
"And remember, Dolphins and Add-flow Don't mix!"
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Steeler49er wrote:
el magico -- darklorddc wrote:There are several morphus forms in the new book that have armor ratings.
Good! The utter lack of it never made any sence to me...

But did you keep the Aberrant Blood tables, cuz those were Fun! Animated blood, Fire blood, Never ending blood, Bloodless-Those were all so fun to have in my games.
Waysenna had a problem with the Fire Blood constantly Burnning off her clothes.
Matts Mustered Blood was a running gag that he kept RPing withSuch flare.
And Scotts Neverending blood and his Eternal wounds, just made a mess of his stealthing skills... He was Always smelled from a mile away by dogs... And FORGET swimmin in the Ocean! Shark central!

No, the blood tables aren't there and unless Kev decides to clean them up and put them in a future title, they probably never will be. Hopefully you continue to enjoy them from your copy of the Rifter. :)
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

Well I Would, If I had players...
Better Yet, I if Were ever a player!

I hear that it's fun to play RPG's :-? Is that True?
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

What Rifter are the aberrant blood tables in?
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Specter wrote:What Rifter are the aberrant blood tables in?

I think R7 or R9, same one with the Shadow magic in it.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Just to clarify which Rifter tables I liked best from Rifter #20 :

Fanboy Table = I loved this one.
Dragon & Dinosaurs tables. = All pretty cool.
Ogre Table = a few needed features which I liked.
Fairy table = What not to like ? Love the Bottomless Stomach feature.
Transformation Tables = All of them. Several great methods of a NB transformation. The Effects on clothing and equipement.

Ok ok I liked most of them. Even the Megalomaniac Table. Which if not included, I'll just have to use anyways for a few ideas.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

Ya know , after I read the Survival Guid I got a weird feeling, " Hey wher eis the Turtle table?" But then I can recollect where I had seen it. Had a turtle morphus table ever being pubblished on arifter Or I had just imagined it, or perhaps saw it on the net, when there were thousand of Morphus table floating around?
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
TechnoGothic
Knight

Nope. Which is a shame.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Mad Cow Milk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mad Cow Milk »

Maybe they might have taken the same ideas and gave some of them much more SANE bonuses. I find the ideas to be very good, but the bonuses applied to be unreasonable.
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

Acyd Byrn wrote:
Steel City Ronin wrote:I agree, which is why I put optional AR rules in my Rifter article. It’s a way more balanced and dare I say, realistic way to portray a super tough being as opposed to just piling on heaps of SDC and HP. A human or other meatbag is going to take the full brunt of pretty much any weapon or attack. But a Morphus that’s mostly metal, stone, bone or otherwise armored should be a bit more resistant to damage. You know, bullets pinging off of a tank? Same goes for aliens, dragons, robots, or other characters from different SDC settings.

What is with all the hate for armor ratings? Is it specific to just the Nightbane RCC's? Should we open up a new topic on this?

There are several morphus forms in the new book that have armor ratings.

But none in the corebook and previous supplements. Dont get me wrong, I like the A.R. in the NSG, but me thinks there should be some sort of note on how to apply/modify the previous morphus's (morphii?) so that they too can share in this benefit.

A good point.
I'll talk to Mark and Kevin about that and maybe we can figure out how to do that. No promises, but I'll advocate for it.

It's already in a rifter. Number 44.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.

Return to “Nightbane®”