Where would you like to see attention focused next?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Re: Where would you like to see attention focused next?

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Something like a Global Overview, detailing what's going on in other parts of the world.... Russia and Lorde Mocker, for example.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
wildhood
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Pickup my 1st Palladium RPG Book back in 1990.

Unread post by wildhood »

Please more stuff on the other factions not cover, info on the NSB & updates on whats happening on the globe & in Nightlands? More equipment, special powers, psionics & magic would be nice too.
Last edited by wildhood on Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don t beleive I m using my XBOX One to post on here.
Undisiplined Veritech Pilots don t pilot Veritechs they pilot Verideck.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

City book 1: Las Vegas :-D
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

More information on what is going on in the rest of the world.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

For all of you wanting more world info, fear not. I DO have intentions of working on info for the rest of the world, and already have some notes on things I'd like to do. :)
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

I wouldn't object to seeing a reflection of the Rifts line for world books.

Mexico, the United Kingdom, Africa, Germany, Northern South America, Japan, etc, etc.

Though personally, the UK, Japan, and Russia are three parts of the world I'm hoping to get to tackle in my game...so if you don't touch them, I won't necessarily complain. :D
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Marrowlight wrote:I wouldn't object to seeing a reflection of the Rifts line for world books.

Mexico, the United Kingdom, Africa, Germany, Northern South America, Japan, etc, etc.

Though personally, the UK, Japan, and Russia are three parts of the world I'm hoping to get to tackle in my game...so if you don't touch them, I won't necessarily complain. :D

Hate to break it to you, but the UK is one of the areas I have notes on, and Europe is definitely an area I'd like to dig into (along with several other places). However, I wouldn't look for this material to hit print for a while. Heck, I have to get my PC back to running right before I can even finish my current project. Then, there's already the book Kev green-lighted me on for Nightbane, and then I'm thinking the Lightbringers book... but then, who knows what will happen with those plans?

I'm not sure if I want to try and tackle specific areas as their own books like the Rifts line does, but we'll have to see how things go when I actually start expanding on the world. :)
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Warwolf wrote:Hate to break it to you, but the UK is one of the areas I have notes on, and Europe is definitely an area I'd like to dig into (along with several other places). However, I wouldn't look for this material to hit print for a while.

Oh I'm not stressed by it. I'm not a gentle or cowardly GM. If I don't want to include something, I just tell my players that it doesn't exist in the gameworld.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

wildhood
Dungeon Crawler

Nightbane of the Past. Playing Nightbane through History like WWI, WWII, Rome Empire, & Black Death. Make Nightbane characters from the past.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would like to see Steve Trustum's "Children of the Night" in a canon book, and maybe expanded from the full manuscript. (The bit published in the Rifter being only part of the full.)

The CotN might do better in a European 'world book' to go along better with the "old world" feel.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Marrowlight
Knight

Didn't that stall out in the first place due to similarities to another company's work?

Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I would like to see Steve Trustum's "Children of the Night" in a canon book, and maybe expanded from the full manuscript. (The bit published in the Rifter being only part of the full.)

The CotN might do better in a European 'world book' to go along better with the "old world" feel.

Steve was working on that but something happened and it was canceled years ago.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: All I need is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power.

Unread post by BillionSix »

Here is an interesting thought. Maybe an "endgame" book. Your players have risen to a fairly high level, and want to take out the enemy. Maybe a Nightbane equivalent to the Rifts "Coalition Wars" books, detailing what might happen if the end battle finally happens, and how it might come about, and maybe some advice as to what might happen afterward.

But I will also second the "global overview" idea. One of the weak spots of Nightbane is that it is very USA centric. It would be nice to see what is happening in the different parts of the world, and how the Nightlords are getting on there.

Brian
All I need is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Cults of Night, the NSB, the Golden Posse, and playing the baddies. Life through the eyes of a federal agent who knows that horrible freakshow monsters and crazed madmen who've been corrupted by magic are trying to overthrow the government, or a Night Cultist who got in too deep and can't leave.

If I weren't so incredibly lazy I'd buy the last two Nightbane books and start throwing together an unsolicited submission.
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler

I also thought it might be cool to see a Nightbane version of "Powers Unlimited." A book centered mainly around giving new Talents, Psionics, and Magic Spells. The Psionics and Magic Spells would of course be of a dark, somewhat gruesome, Nightbane flavor, and would also give more spells for Fleshsculptors and other unique mage types of the Nightbane universe.

Brian
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

That's easy... Nightbane around the world and how they are a threat to the Nightlords. Right at the edge of the final fight. The true power of the Bane against the Night!
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

This would be my set up for the next two books. I would give them a theme book rather than a world book feel. Between the Shadows was spook squad and psionic book (I see the astral plane and the dreamstream to be psionic planes). Nightlands were the nightlords book. TtLGD was the magic book. Shadows of light was never to be spoken of again (although I liked it). NBSG is a nightbane book. So my next two books would be

Creatures of Legacy: This book would focus on the groups that made an impact on history and are currently active. It would be broken into 4 chapters.

Chapter 1 Nightbane through out the ages. How they were approached and interacted with major historical societies. Contains notes on Nightbane through the ages campaign. Token information on the Underground Railroad before darkday. Legacy Morpheus tables for classic stuff from those societies. Mummy, Cyclops, ect.

Chapter 2 Tribes of the Moon. Rifter 4 & 5 nuff said

Chapter 3 Vampires: The first vampire invasion against pre civilization humanity, which was prevented by the guardians. The second vampire invasion that took place in the right before the baal's rise to power. The third vampire invasion of europe (bramstroker style). The fourth invasion of england that spilled over to the new world. And the current invasion targeting china, so many people nobody will miss a few. A page or two dedicated to the connection between vampires andmirrors and having no reflection. Token Info on the nocturnes and gaudrians

Chapter 4: Templars/Crusaders. This would be a loose knit organization that has follen apart over the last 300+ years. They dedicated themselves to the extermination of other so called monster races. The thing is that they succeeded. Every thing besides the banes, vampires, were-beasts have all been driven to extinction or gone so deep underground that they have no form of organization. Once they did that they turned on themselves, taking out there own mystic members. Only recently . since dark day have the old secrets of the templar been awaken. The seekers expecially are pushing to find those things that proved indestructable. Not all was lost though there are still several people of the Templar blood line, who find that the mission runs deep.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Am I allow to post in the topic as Im not a freelance writer? :clown:

I would like to see more world info.
I think there is enough NB stuff, enough magic & psionics to crossover from the megaverse, so I would like to see stuff that is NB specific.

Guardians for one (could do more expanding on astral plane too).

Reshapers for another.

I know Palladium loves filling its dead pages with NPC's (no more heroes and villains pls!) so roll up the leaders of all the Factions
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

world books focusing on Europe, Africa, Asia...
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

BillionSix wrote:I also thought it might be cool to see a Nightbane version of "Powers Unlimited." A book centered mainly around giving new Talents, Psionics, and Magic Spells. The Psionics and Magic Spells would of course be of a dark, somewhat gruesome, Nightbane flavor, and would also give more spells for Fleshsculptors and other unique mage types of the Nightbane universe.

Brian

Funny you should say that, as (depending on a couple of things I need to discuss with Kev) you might just get your wish. The book that Kev green-lighted me on last year is a project that I've titled "Dark Designs." IF I end up writing it, the original concept is to add the Morphus Tables I didn't get done in time for the NSG (all my original work), several new Talents, and MAYBE some rough guidelines on how to take spells, psionics, superpowers, etc., and turn them into Talents. I'm thinking 64-96 pages, but we'll have to see. With that said, this project is still in the VERY early stages and may be scrapped or significantly changed at any point. I also need to finish the spaceship creation rules before I jump into this book, so it'll be a bit before I start on it in earnest.

The Dark Elf wrote:Am I allow to post in the topic as Im not a freelance writer?

I think there is enough NB stuff, enough magic & psionics to crossover from the megaverse, so I would like to see stuff that is NB specific.

Reshapers for another.

I know Palladium loves filling its dead pages with NPC's (no more heroes and villains pls!) so roll up the leaders of all the Factions

First-off, yeah, this was Irvin's attempt to get fan imput on what they wanted us to write. :)

The Guardians are another topic I'm pumped about tackling. I've got some ideas that the few people I've told about them have gotten pretty excited about. Heck, some of Gateway's listeners may have gotten a bit of a teaser last week when I didn't realize that Irvin and I were being broadcast yet... :?

As far as Reshapers, they are so rare that info on them would probably have to be included in another book... but I know at least one of our planned books (the next collaboration Irvin and I have planned, in fact) would be a perfect place to touch on them.
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

Warwolf wrote:The book that Kev green-lighted me on last year is a project that I've titled "Dark Designs." IF I end up writing it, the original concept is to add the Morphus Tables I didn't get done in time for the NSG (all my original work), several new Talents, and MAYBE some rough guidelines on how to take spells, psionics, superpowers, etc., and turn them into Talents.

no offence, as you know from previous conversations Im a huuuuuge Nightbane-fan and usually like your ideas, but this concept is exactly the book I would like the least. please, there are more than enough morphus tables and talents already in the game! and so much world info and stuff to explore on the other hand!
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

Incriptus wrote:This would be my set up for the next two books. I would give them a theme book rather than a world book feel. Between the Shadows was spook squad and psionic book (I see the astral plane and the dreamstream to be psionic planes). Nightlands were the nightlords book. TtLGD was the magic book. Shadows of light was never to be spoken of again (although I liked it). NBSG is a nightbane book. So my next two books would be

Creatures of Legacy: This book would focus on the groups that made an impact on history and are currently active. It would be broken into 4 chapters.

Chapter 1 Nightbane through out the ages. How they were approached and interacted with major historical societies. Contains notes on Nightbane through the ages campaign. Token information on the Underground Railroad before darkday. Legacy Morpheus tables for classic stuff from those societies. Mummy, Cyclops, ect.

Chapter 3 Vampires: The first vampire invasion against pre civilization humanity, which was prevented by the guardians. The second vampire invasion that took place in the right before the baal's rise to power. The third vampire invasion of europe (bramstroker style). The fourth invasion of england that spilled over to the new world. And the current invasion targeting china, so many people nobody will miss a few. A page or two dedicated to the connection between vampires andmirrors and having no reflection. Token Info on the nocturnes and gaudrians

Chapter 4: Templars/Crusaders. This would be a loose knit organization that has follen apart over the last 300+ years. They dedicated themselves to the extermination of other so called monster races. The thing is that they succeeded. Every thing besides the banes, vampires, were-beasts have all been driven to extinction or gone so deep underground that they have no form of organization. Once they did that they turned on themselves, taking out there own mystic members. Only recently . since dark day have the old secrets of the templar been awaken. The seekers expecially are pushing to find those things that proved indestructable. Not all was lost though there are still several people of the Templar blood line, who find that the mission runs deep.

I agree with this 100 percent, and I really hope that Trustrum's full Tribes of the Moon get's launched in a source book. And, his vampires stuff could be good to. It's really good stuff. I've run full games with it and it's already a main part of any Nightbane game I run. As long as a character wants to play a were creature.

And, I don't know why they edited down the Templar stuff in SoL.

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
MrMom
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MrMom »

I only have the core book so i dont know if this is in another book but I would like to see more stuff on the Formless ones.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Specter wrote:I agree with this 100 percent, and I really hope that Trustrum's full Tribes of the Moon get's launched in a source book.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't his attempt to pitch ToTM as a sourcebook knocked back years ago?
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

If they released the rest of Trustrum's stuff in Rifters I would actually buy those rifters and I have that stuff saved as word files on my computer.

MASTERMIND
Adventurer
Comment: I game... Therefore I am...

Unread post by MASTERMIND »

As has been recommended by many voices before mine, more world information.

I also have to add my love for the Spook Squad. I absolutely love that faction and I would love to see more development in that area.

Vampires! Vampires! Vampires!

:)

Just keep up the good work and I will be happy. I am glad to see more love for the Nightbane line of books.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:
Rallan wrote:
Specter wrote:I agree with this 100 percent, and I really hope that Trustrum's full Tribes of the Moon get's launched in a source book.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't his attempt to pitch ToTM as a sourcebook knocked back years ago?

In my talks with Kevin no mention of that has come up. Don't know if that means it didn't happen though. My feeling is that Kevin's happy leaving a lot of stuff optional and in the Rifters. That way, if you like it, you can include it into your game without it becoming canon for everyone else.

Well it is kinda ancient history by now. Hell, Trustrum had his TotM stuff up and ready to go back when the PML was still the main hub of Palladium's online fan community.
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Vidynn wrote:
Warwolf wrote:The book that Kev green-lighted me on last year is a project that I've titled "Dark Designs." IF I end up writing it, the original concept is to add the Morphus Tables I didn't get done in time for the NSG (all my original work), several new Talents, and MAYBE some rough guidelines on how to take spells, psionics, superpowers, etc., and turn them into Talents.

no offence, as you know from previous conversations Im a huuuuuge Nightbane-fan and usually like your ideas, but this concept is exactly the book I would like the least. please, there are more than enough morphus tables and talents already in the game! and so much world info and stuff to explore on the other hand!

Hey, no worries, Vidynn. This thread is for you guys to voice your opinions, so you have every right to weigh in. The thing is, I have some material that I developed that was intended for the NSG and I wasn't able to get finished (I made the decision to stop work on it when I realized it wasn't going to fit anyway). Now, that material is just waiting to be wrapped up and if I don't get to it soon I will probably lose track of the original feel and intent. So, it's best that I get this stuff done and out of the way now so I can move on to other things. Not to mention, since Kev already green-lighted it, I don't want to leave him twisting in the wind.

That said, I'll understand if it isn't high on your priority list to buy. :)
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

More info on the global impact in the world. Toss in a few Rifter articles on locations, the power-players, notable locations, ect. I'd have to agree on more info on the Spook Squad would be a definate bonus.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
wildhood
Dungeon Crawler

Nightbane should build there own island nation like the mutants in X-Man got there island nation where Nightbane can go around in there morphus in the day light & be normal.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

wildhood wrote:Nightbane should build there own island nation like the mutants in X-Man got there island nation where Nightbane can go around in there morphus in the day light & be normal.

Well call that club freak, and it has the advantage of not being the site of a nuclear detonation.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

wildhood wrote:Nightbane should build there own island nation like the mutants in X-Man got there island nation where Nightbane can go around in there morphus in the day light & be normal.

Um, you are aware that a large part of the premise of Nightbane is that most people are unaware that monsters and magic even exist, right? What you're proposing would basically turn Nightbane into a setting of freaky-deaky superheroes.
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler

Rallan wrote:

Um, you are aware that a large part of the premise of Nightbane is that most people are unaware that monsters and magic even exist, right? What you're proposing would basically turn Nightbane into a setting of freaky-deaky superheroes.

Actually, I thought a large part of the premise was that people were becoming aware of the supernatural. Dark Day was a big trigger, but there are lots and lots of stories about "monster sightings" and even skeptics are starting to become swayed. One of the cool things about Nightbane is that there isn't a "masquerade" to snag a term from another system. You can have a battle on the street corner, and it becomes another part of the growing legend.
The only reason it probably isn't completely public yet is that the media is largely controlled by the enemy, but there is probably a lot of internet talk.

Brian
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

Warwolf wrote:That said, I'll understand if it isn't high on your priority list to buy. :)

well, Im an easy client - I buy anything for Nightbane! ;)

Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

Specter wrote:
Incriptus wrote:This would be my set up for the next two books. I would give them a theme book rather than a world book feel. Between the Shadows was spook squad and psionic book (I see the astral plane and the dreamstream to be psionic planes). Nightlands were the nightlords book. TtLGD was the magic book. Shadows of light was never to be spoken of again (although I liked it). NBSG is a nightbane book. So my next two books would be

I agree with this 100 percent, and I really hope that Trustrum's full Tribes of the Moon get's launched in a source book. And, his vampires stuff could be good to. It's really good stuff. I've run full games with it and it's already a main part of any Nightbane game I run. As long as a character wants to play a were creature.

And, I don't know why they edited down the Templar stuff in SoL.

I have actually adapted his vampire stuff, and use it in every system I have vampires in.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

wildhood wrote:Nightbane of the Past. Playing Nightbane through History like WWI, WWII, Rome Empire, & Black Death. Make Nightbane characters from the past.

I ran a campaign like this with a bunch of ageless characters. Making leaps through history each game.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:Don't forget channelers! One of my favorite surprises to spring on player groups are channelers tied to the Dark. One moment they're schmucky the clown, next moment....EVIL SPELLFLINGING MINION OF DOOM! (tm)

Channelers are a great concept, but their PPE is far too low for them to work properly. They can't really draw on outside PPE sources, and the randomness means a lot of magic is completely out of their leage and there's nothing they can do about it.

So a guy who suddenly casts a powerful spell simply dosn't happen because all the really powerful spells are out of his price range.

I'm not looking to randomly spout out spells of legend here, but it says that Channelers can cast any spell level 1-15 randomly, if the GM feels it appropriate.

Only issue is, their PPE total is only 1d6*10+25 and 2d6 per level. that's including the power gained from the Source they're tied to. In short, even assuming a maximum roll, they cap out around level 8 in practicle terms, a single level 7 or 8 spell will drain them almost dry, and most all spells 9 and up are tottally out of their price range.

And even if you focus more on lower level spells, your talking an average of 65 PPE to start with and 6 PPE per level. That's gonna drain, fast, if you use spells any higher than level 3.

They shouldn't be necessarly better than Sorcerrors or Mystics, but as it is, they don't even do what they do do particuarlly well.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
chosenrifter
Wanderer

Unread post by chosenrifter »

Warwolf wrote:
BillionSix wrote:I also thought it might be cool to see a Nightbane version of "Powers Unlimited." A book centered mainly around giving new Talents, Psionics, and Magic Spells. The Psionics and Magic Spells would of course be of a dark, somewhat gruesome, Nightbane flavor, and would also give more spells for Fleshsculptors and other unique mage types of the Nightbane universe.

Brian

Funny you should say that, as (depending on a couple of things I need to discuss with Kev) you might just get your wish. The book that Kev green-lighted me on last year is a project that I've titled "Dark Designs." IF I end up writing it, the original concept is to add the Morphus Tables I didn't get done in time for the NSG (all my original work), several new Talents, and MAYBE some rough guidelines on how to take spells, psionics, superpowers, etc., and turn them into Talents. I'm thinking 64-96 pages, but we'll have to see. With that said, this project is still in the VERY early stages and may be scrapped or significantly changed at any point. I also need to finish the spaceship creation rules before I jump into this book, so it'll be a bit before I start on it in earnest.

The Dark Elf wrote:Am I allow to post in the topic as Im not a freelance writer?

Reshapers for another.

First-off, yeah, this was Irvin's attempt to get fan imput on what they wanted us to write. :)

The Guardians are another topic I'm pumped about tackling. I've got some ideas that the few people I've told about them have gotten pretty excited about. Heck, some of Gateway's listeners may have gotten a bit of a teaser last week when I didn't realize that Irvin and I were being broadcast yet... :?

As far as Reshapers, they are so rare that info on them would probably have to be included in another book... but I know at least one of our planned books (the next collaboration Irvin and I have planned, in fact) would be a perfect place to touch on them.

what happened to this book idea?
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

chosenrifter wrote:what happened to this book idea?

Which one?
chosenrifter
Wanderer

Warwolf wrote:
chosenrifter wrote:what happened to this book idea?

Which one?

Sorry hehe The first thing you wrote about. how do turn Spells, Superpowers ,etc into Talents and the rest of it.
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

chosenrifter wrote:Sorry hehe The first thing you wrote about. how do turn Spells, Superpowers ,etc into Talents and the rest of it.

It's in early development right now (came up with a couple new Talents last week). I need to get my computer back in working order so I can finish the ship creation rules and then I'll knock out Dark Designs.
chosenrifter
Wanderer

Warwolf wrote:
chosenrifter wrote:Sorry hehe The first thing you wrote about. how do turn Spells, Superpowers ,etc into Talents and the rest of it.

It's in early development right now (came up with a couple new Talents last week). I need to get my computer back in working order so I can finish the ship creation rules and then I'll knock out Dark Designs.

Right on!!! Looking forword to buying it. :-)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
el magico -- darklorddc wrote:Don't forget channelers! One of my favorite surprises to spring on player groups are channelers tied to the Dark. One moment they're schmucky the clown, next moment....EVIL SPELLFLINGING MINION OF DOOM! (tm)

Channelers are a great concept, but their PPE is far too low for them to work properly. They can't really draw on outside PPE sources, and the randomness means a lot of magic is completely out of their leage and there's nothing they can do about it.

So a guy who suddenly casts a powerful spell simply dosn't happen because all the really powerful spells are out of his price range.

I'm not looking to randomly spout out spells of legend here, but it says that Channelers can cast any spell level 1-15 randomly, if the GM feels it appropriate.

Only issue is, their PPE total is only 1d6*10+25 and 2d6 per level. that's including the power gained from the Source they're tied to. In short, even assuming a maximum roll, they cap out around level 8 in practicle terms, a single level 7 or 8 spell will drain them almost dry, and most all spells 9 and up are tottally out of their price range.

And even if you focus more on lower level spells, your talking an average of 65 PPE to start with and 6 PPE per level. That's gonna drain, fast, if you use spells any higher than level 3.

They shouldn't be necessarly better than Sorcerrors or Mystics, but as it is, they don't even do what they do do particuarlly well.

I've found that you get a lot more mileage out of them as NPCs for some of those reasons. It's interesting when a channeler has those big highs and lows as an NPC and cn't control it, but I think for players it could be frustrating. I've never had a player attempt to play one in a campaign though, so while I agree with you on paper it'd be interesting to hear what people's actual play experiences have been. I've found that people can surprise you with how a character turns out.

Also, in my personal campaigns, I make a LOT more use of PPE batteries like talismans and Varjas (from Mystic China) and things like that than are intended. If someone were playing a channeler in my campaign I'd probably put something like that in their hands if I saw the PPE shortage was making the character unworkable.

Sounds reasonable.

Actually, taking a closer look at it, Channels pay half the PPE cost for all spells that are "random". They only pay full cost if it's a learned effect they're trying to produce conciously. So that actually does mean the channelers get a lot more milage out of it.

And the use of PPE batteries and talismens is a good an often overlooked aspect of things.

Sapphire needs to get one. stupid darkwhip eating up half my PPE every other fight
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sapphire needs to get one. stupid darkwhip eating up half my PPE every other fight
Maybe she should be more judicious in her PPE expenditure?

She can't throw down like Mig can with the Dragon pearls.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
wildhood
Dungeon Crawler

Focuse on Native Americans & what there doing in the war agaist the Nightlores?
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Raist25m wrote:Europe.

We're getting there, I promise... :)

But, it probably will be a while unfortunately. Too many irons in the fire as of late. :-?

Return to “Nightbane®”