Multiple Martial Arts Forms and Combat... Need help

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmaster
Hero

Multiple Martial Arts Forms and Combat... Need help

Unread post by Nightmaster »

Hi guys I have searched the forums and dont think this has been asked so there it goes:

How I control Multiple Martial Arts Forms during a Combat?

I mean, one of my players intent to make a character from N&SS that knows two styles and he have asked how they work in combat like if the bonus are added (already know they dont) and if they dont how to define which bonus to use at a given moment.

The question goes down to the fact that I dont know if he must announce at the begining of the melee round what style he is using (I think he must but I can be wrong) and that would be the style for the rest of that melee round or if he can change the style he is using midflight, like attaking using one style bonus and defending using another one bonuses.

I have tryed to find that answer in the two books but so far have not find anything in the regards so I am askinh you guys.

Can any of you guys help me ? :?
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Re: Multiple Martial Arts Forms and Combat... Need help

Unread post by Beatmeclever »

Mind you on this, I have the first edition of the game not the second, so my pages might be different. At the beginning of the section on Martial Arts Forms (pg 89) and also in Mystic China (pg 171, with minor changes).
1. Each form must be used separately. For example, if your character gets a +2 to Parry in Tae Kwon Do, then that bonus can only be used when using Tae Kwon Do. It can't be used when performing any other form.
Nothing about how long it takes to switch forms or how often it can be done.
"The impossibility of the world lies in the fact that it has no equivalent anywhere;it cannot be exchanged for anything. The uncertainty of thought lies in the fact that it cannot be exchanged either for truth or for reality. Is it thought which tips the world over into uncertainty, or the other way around? This in itself is part of the uncertainty." - J. Baudrillard
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The char can only use one form at a time.
They have to use that form for the full Melee round (15 sec.).
Bonuses are recorded separately. (Just like you would record "<Vehicle> combat" bonuses separately from the char's h2h.)

You don't necessarily need to be using the MAF that gave the char a chi power to use that chi power.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Unread post by Beatmeclever »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The char can only use one form at a time.
Agreed.
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:They have to use that form for the full Melee round (15 sec.).
Can you show where that is stated? I just want to see it. I re-read both N&SS AND MC looking for something like this.
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Bonuses are recorded separately. (Just like you would record "<Vehicle> combat" bonuses separately from the char's h2h.)
Agreed.
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:You don't necessarily need to be using the MAF that gave the char a chi power to use that chi power.
Aaaaaaaaaand... Agreed.
"The impossibility of the world lies in the fact that it has no equivalent anywhere;it cannot be exchanged for anything. The uncertainty of thought lies in the fact that it cannot be exchanged either for truth or for reality. Is it thought which tips the world over into uncertainty, or the other way around? This in itself is part of the uncertainty." - J. Baudrillard
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

In the Archive I found this...
Question: How long does it take to switch forms (I think its one melee)?
Answer (by Erick Wujcik): Switching between styles can be done at the beginning of the melee and doesn't use up any attacks.

Normally I would take an archive answer with a grain of salt, but since this from The EW, it can be taken as if in a published book.

In NSS "Special Katas" opening notes it says that using the Kata, requires the char to use the kata for the whole melee, with only being able to change katas at the beginning of the new melee round. (supporting text, this is)

EW wrote the two Rifts China books, so, he might of put it in one of them.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

Somewhere in N&S is a note that you announce form at the beginning of the round and are stuck with it. I'll look when I get home and post the page ref on it.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

Also, I'd advise making him pick a "default" form, and have it be assumed he's using that unless he says differently. It'll likely save time and confusion.
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”