Negate Magic?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Re: Negate Magic?

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

I don't think so, though I have heard it argued that way many times. The casting of the spell creates the magic, so if it is never cast, then there is no magic to negate. You would have better luck punching the spellcaster and stopping the casting that way.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

No, it doesn't.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

No, if the spell has not been cast, it has not been cast, period.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

If the spell isn't cast, than there is nothing to negate :crane:.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:
Ice Dragon wrote:If the spell isn't cast, than there is nothing to negate :crane:.

I guess I differ because I run spells a little drifferant. Spellcasters can loose some ppe if they are interrupted when casting spells that take multiple actions. In my games if a mage is casting something that takes two actions to cast, and is interrupted durring the first action he looses 20% of the ppe, it takes to cast the spell, 50% if interrupted on the second action. Where as in standard palladium rules the mage dosn't loose any ppe if interrupted casting a spell.

Well there you have your answer. If your going to houserule a situation in which spells benig cast are vunerable to being negated, then yes, they are going to be negated.

Offically, intterupted spells loose no PPE, and until the spell is cast there is nothing to negate

Besides, who'd want to waste 40 PPE intterupting a spell when you can just throw a rock at them and do the same for free?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I think of it as the spell being the process of opening a door. The magic happens when something crosses through, and it cannot do so until the door is open.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”