Combined melee "Buff" spells ?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lenwen

Combined melee "Buff" spells ?

Unread post by Lenwen »

Can melee combat "Buff" spells be combined for a cumlative effect ?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Combined melee "Buff" spells ?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

If the 'Buff'ing spells just give a +X to <stat>, then Yes.
if they say Raise <stat> to ZY, then the highest 'raise to" number would be used.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Lenwen wrote:Can melee combat "Buff" spells be combined for a cumlative effect ?

Yes. While the same spell cannot be cast twice for combined effect, any number of spells or other magical effects may be combined endlessly for increased effect, so long as each individual source is distinct.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Tenupate wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:If the 'Buff'ing spells just give a +X to <stat>, then Yes.
if they say Raise <stat> to ZY, then the highest 'raise to" number would be used.

Thought exercise: What about having one of each? Which happens first, the "raise to#" _then_ the +X? or vice versa? Does one take priority over the other? Would it depend on which spell was cast first? Of course there's always the possibility that the answer may lie in the spell description already. I can't think of the spells off the top for examples.
My initial ruling would be that the character gets the maximum effect between the two. He benefits fully from the first spell, then, when the second spell gets layered on, he might get no additional benefit (except for whatever side-bennies there may be). He would have to determine original stat "+X" and original stat "raised to#" and take the better for the duration.
I would also keep in mind whether the spell/effect kept the stat in its original type, meaning natural (PS/PP/PE/Spd) versus superhuman or supernatural (S-PS/etc). I don't think there are any spells that give the Strength of the Borg/Robot (R-PS, robotic strength), so I'm omitting that option.

It depends entirey on which spell was cast first.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”