Exclusive MA Styles

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Desert Rat
Wanderer

Exclusive MA Styles

Unread post by Desert Rat »

Just out of curiosity, in your opinion, what made a MA an exclusive style? If it is because of certain characteristics within the style, what are those characteristics that you feel separates the style from all the others?

Personally, I can see Ninjitsu being that it is 2 'arts'. As for the rest of them, it seems to me that it was based upon historical characteristics which are not necessarily representative of the style today. Take Wui Wing Chun, limited to women only, originally developed by the Shao Lin nun, one of the five elders, Ng Mui as she taught a young woman so that she could refuse a marriage offer. While it was originally developed for a woman, by a woman, it hardly stayed a female only style. It was the style in which Bruce Lee began training as a young boy.

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I get that it is just a game and styles are not necessarily reflective of the real-world style, but I am curious as to what you may feel is the "exclusive" nature for gaming mechanics.
Mantisking
Hero

Re: Exclusive MA Styles

Unread post by Mantisking »

Desert Rat wrote:Just out of curiosity, in your opinion, what made a MA an exclusive style? If it is because of certain characteristics within the style, what are those characteristics that you feel separates the style from all the others?

The ones that I have created that I have made Exclusive tend to be high-powered or have other reasons such as being limited to a specific background.

Desert Rat wrote:Personally, I can see Ninjitsu being that it is 2 'arts'. As for the rest of them, it seems to me that it was based upon historical characteristics which are not necessarily representative of the style today. Take Wui Wing Chun, limited to women only, originally developed by the Shao Lin nun, one of the five elders, Ng Mui as she taught a young woman so that she could refuse a marriage offer. While it was originally developed for a woman, by a woman, it hardly stayed a female only style. It was the style in which Bruce Lee began training as a young boy.

I think that leaving Wui Wing Chun as a female only offshoot to mainstream Wing Chun could be interesting.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Re: Exclusive MA Styles

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

The Exclusive tag might be added to an MAF to ensure that not everyone can pick it up. Those teaching the art want to make sure that the student can devote enough time and effort to learn it properly. Of course only the "Master" knows what criteria is used to learn it properly means.

Also,if I am not mistaken, many if not all Exclusive arts require one to travel to it's land of origin in order to recieve proper advanced training and even then the "Masters" may deny the teachings to an "Outsider" because they are deemed unworthy.

The Unworthy tag can mean many things. One such thing it could mean is if the student was not born into the same ethnic group as the master.(Racial predjuice is still out there)

The Below is just my opinion.
In the revised edition. I find the Idea that Exclusive ALWAYS takes up 2 MAF slots to be a complete ripoff of the OCC that has already been previously nerfed.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”