We need ... MAGIC UNLIMITED !!!

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

TechnoGothic
Knight

We need ... MAGIC UNLIMITED !!!

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

You know we do guys. It needs to as large as the Aliens Unlimited was at least.
Aliens Unlimited has seen 2 books so far. AU, and AU-GG.

For Magic Unlimited it must cover the types seen the main book well and in more detail while adding to each type.
Enchanted Weapon
Enchanted Object/Item
Mystically Bestowed Abilities
Mystic Study / Wizard

I'd like to see more powers available for the weapons, etc...
I'd like to see more Spells for Mystic Study. Varient Magic Schools avaible maybe or allow access to any kind of magic with no limitations. Allow all Elemental, Necromancy, etc available to them without need for new Class.

Opinions ? Comments ?
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Re: We need ... MAGIC UNLIMITED !!!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

I have to agree. We need an expansion like Magic Unlimited for the HU line.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Maybe we will get some magicks in Armageddon Unlimited ? ?? ? ? ? ??
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Personally I would like to see an alternative magic system that can be used alongside the current one. I never liked that a character with energy expulsion can fire it all day long 24/7 yet the magic guy is limited to his PPE supply. Same thing goes with the Psionic character. Just does not feel very superheroic to me. At the he very least the current magic claasses could use an update and more fleshing out.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
TechnoGothic
Knight

I agree Sureshot. Its not fair Magic and Psionics have limited "batteries" while Mutants, Experiments, etc are not.
I have seen Groups give Mutants, Experiments, etc..their own ISP, PPE.... SAP (Super-Ability-Points).
I tried it once with a group that was using it. It worked OK. Played more White Wolf's Aberrant in feel to me using it. Which was cool. Not very Heroic or Comicbookish enough for me though.

Ditching the ISP/PPE Costs for Psionics and Spells however is much easier. Just limit the Duration as per the spells/psionics. Its simple and keeps the comicbook feel well.

-----------

BACK to the Topic on Hand.
MAGIC UNLIMITED !!!

Oh yeah its needed sorely. IMHO at least.
My main interest for Magic in HU2 is the Enchanted Weapons/Items, and Bestowed types.
I dislike the Spell caster types (due to PPE limitations).
We could get a few Ready made Enchanted Weapons / Items for use would be great. Weapons and Items not currently with a owner is even better. That way we can work them into the game easier.
Much larger selection of Innate Powers for them to have access to or to pick from.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

"My answer was that I personally dislike magic in superhero comic books, so I didn't put it in my game" - Kevin Siembieda: Heroes Unlimited Revised

of course he did go on to say that he had softened on the anti-magic in comicbook stance, but you know he's probably still not 100% behind that so you'll probably need to be really good to get over that hurdle.

Powers Unlimited > Hardware Unlimited > Psychics Unlimited > Magic Unlimited . . . so it would be pretty low on my list of priorities too
Her0man0
Dungeon Crawler

Re: We need ... MAGIC UNLIMITED !!

Unread post by Her0man0 »

I think a Magic Unlimited would be way cool.

Ive been thinking of a mystically bestowd varient that would take the magic powers from an elemental force rather than have it given.
they would get a certain number of minor and or major abilities per level from a certain theme.
and example would be fire, the character would get immune to fire and heat, energy expulsion fire, and energy expulsion flame ring to start, level three they would get the major CEF Fire or the psychic ability of pyrokinetics, etc. etc.

this would work with things like the elements, time, shadow, light, and so on and so forth.

way cool

oh yea, the PPE and ISP is unfair but i think a mage or psychic goes perfect with physical training, natural genius and other minor heroes.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Costs for spells balances out the wider range of things one can do with spells. If you only use elemental spells, then sure it is easier to have an EE power.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
leonmallett
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by leonmallett »

I know this thread is from a couple of weeks ago, but I would love to see a Magic Unlimited book; something at 64-96 pages with extra spells and categories/sub-categories as well as some Magic-related skills and programs.

But then I also want similar sized books for technology (Hardware Unlimited; looking at Hardware, Bionics, Robotics, Supersoldiers) and psionics (Psionics Unlimited; extra ablities and categories/sub-categories).
HU2 fan.
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

I also think more should be done to go into the mystique and perception of the mystical heroes. A guy with a magic sword or item could be perceived as either lucky or picked by some elite power, but the mystic study group to me should put out an air of mystery and possible wonder. Look at the big magic users in comics like Doctor Fate and Doctor Strange(no conversions). Although they're on the side of good, they seem to be connected to, or observing strange and different worlds or levels of reality. As such, they seem to be a bit weird to most people, even other superbeings.
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
TechnoGothic
Knight

leonmallett wrote:I know this thread is from a couple of weeks ago, but I would love to see a Magic Unlimited book; something at 64-96 pages with extra spells and categories/sub-categories as well as some Magic-related skills and programs.

But then I also want similar sized books for technology (Hardware Unlimited; looking at Hardware, Bionics, Robotics, Supersoldiers) and psionics (Psionics Unlimited; extra ablities and categories/sub-categories).

No I'm Tired of Small Books.
I want 200 + Pages for MAGIC Unlimited. It has Alot to cover.
Magical Weapons. New Powers, etc...is much needed. That alone needs 50 pages. At least.
Mystic Bestowed. Needs more done. 25-50 pages to deal with this class too.
Mystic Study. New Types of study, new Spells, etc...25-50 pages at least.
Enhancted Object. Again needs around 50 pages to do it justic.

Say 50 pages each type. Plus another 20 pages for whatever. 220 pages.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

dont we already have tons upon tons of books in the other palladium lines that
feature magic?

Just take the big rifts magic book and convert every thing into SDC there your
done.
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Mephisto wrote:
Prince Cherico wrote:dont we already have tons upon tons of books in the other palladium lines that
feature magic?

Just take the big rifts magic book and convert every thing into SDC there your
done.

but that's kind of not the same as a super hero universe.

There needs to be magic more like in comics, but the system falls short of that as written.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
TechnoGothic
Knight

Magic from the Comics can be done with the PPE system.
Mages just need ALOT more PPE that they currently have access to however.

Human Mages (as a bases) would need 2000 to 10000 PPE to cast spells like the comic book Wizards.
Small stuff should not eat up into the PPE reserves much.
Large and Very Powerful magics should be able to be cast several times usually before the Wizard's PPE energy is spent.

Even then Comic Wizards can usually Call-on Gods, Demons, Entities in times of need for Extra power. Without making Pacts, etc...
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”