~ Werebeasts in Night-spawn/bane ~

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

TechnoGothic
Knight

~ Werebeasts in Night-spawn/bane ~

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Yes you heard me. Werebeasts. Real Werebeasts in Nightbane/spawn.

I have read them in Rifts CB1 well enough to like them.
I read the Doomed RIFTER "Tribes of the Moon"articles. Which I loved btw. Not sure as written they fit into Nightbane/spawn however.
I do know the more Tradition Werebeasts (R-CB1) would be great in Nightbane/spawn setting.

Things I would do...
Make groups of Werebeasts more cultured, based on their Local Mythology in the area of the World or Family background (ethic background). Examples would be Native American Werewolves would be different culturly from Eastern European Werewolves altogether. Werebears from native American different from the Norse-Berserkers types. And so on...

I would love to add werebeast Infection as a possibility IF the person in Question might already have Werebeast in his family past at some point, forcing him/her to undergo their first change into a Werebeast ... maybe with no control at first to having to learn to accept the beast-within.

Discuss your Likes/dislikes of Werebeasts in Nightbane/spawn ?
Dicuss how you would like to see them used if at all ?

I know some Nightbane/spawn have Wereforms, but some Nightbane also have Vampire-like forms or Demonic forms or Angelic forms, etc.... True Werebeasts do have a Place in the World. The NB might be why some myths of Werebeasts are so different or various.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Re: ~ Werebeasts in Night-spawn/bane ~

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

The book states that all werewolf reports were really Nightbane. As for me, I think adding Werebeasts would not fit the setting and there are enough non-Human groups as it is.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

I'm of two minds on this. One part says that I don't want to flood the Nightbane world with other supernatural beings. As a matter of fact that part of my mind said that Vampires as an 3rd front wasn't even nessessary. It says that Nightbane are diverse enough that they could be the explaination for essentially all of the 'monsters' of the past.

Another part of my brain says, lets go for it. Nightbane began with vampires, wampyres, they were quick to add in demons, why not allow other mythics live in the world.
Johnathan
Adventurer

Unread post by Johnathan »

I thought they did an absolutely fantastic job with were-creatures for nightbane! I say add them in! I like the NB version of were-creatures mores than they've appeared in any other version...
Hotrod wrote:I haven't noticed saints getting the bad end of the bargain at all. Sure, a lot of them die in pain and poverty. A lot of jerks die in agony, betrayal, and humiliation, often taking their own lives rather than having to face the consequences of what they've done.
TechnoGothic
Knight

@ Johnathan = Your taking about the RIFTER Tribes of the Moon articles right ?
If so I agree I like it much more than other offical werebeast material written.

@ Shawn = I disagree. The World of Nightbane could use some more variety to me. Sure the Nightbane themselves can cover alot of ground, but they dont fit themselves into alot of the myths of creatures out there. I'd like to see real Werebeasts at some point. They dont need to be a whole "Faction" to themselves however. I see them a normal natural than Nightbane in the world. It would be nice to have all Werebeast as natural enemies of the Vampires hordes.

@ Incriptus = I agree, we have Nightbane, Nightprices, Nightlords, Hunters, Demons, Astral Beings, Magic Users, Wampyres (1/2 vamps), Guardians, etc.... True Werebeast Fit into the setting naturally.

Alot of people see Nightbane setting as part of the Beyond the Supernatural setting too. Which would be cool.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Johnathan
Adventurer

Yes. Yes. And yes. The Were-Creatures done in The Tribes of the Moon were amazingly done. I thought the tribes themselves to be a little two dimensional. Except for the Vetchen... Gotta love'm!
Hotrod wrote:I haven't noticed saints getting the bad end of the bargain at all. Sure, a lot of them die in pain and poverty. A lot of jerks die in agony, betrayal, and humiliation, often taking their own lives rather than having to face the consequences of what they've done.
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

If people only knew what lurked in the depths of my mind...

Let's just say that notes have existed for this contingency for a little while now. However, as I haven't run it past Kev, who knows if it'll even get approved. And it's a little ways down the road even if it does (heck, I need to finish Dark Designs before I start on anything else). Normally I wouldn't even click on a topic like this for fear of "ripoff" claims later on, but there are a few people that I've already conversed with this about and I have time-stamped notes from when I first developed my concept.

But no, it wouldn't be like Tribes of the Moon... that was a little too similar to other properties for my liking. If Kev were to let me run wild, you'd never look at Palladium's werebeasts the same way again. :demon:

As far as other mythic creatures existing (not including vampires), that's been canon for a while now. I don't see them being another unified Faction on the scale of, say, the Resistance or even the Warlords... but I digress...

At any rate, keep your eyes and ears open, I'll try and update people when there's something more concrete (even if it's that Kev shot down the idea).
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

TechnoGothic wrote: It would be nice to have all Werebeast as natural enemies of the Vampires hordes.

Anyone know when did this feud start in fiction?

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Johnathan
Adventurer

Shawn Merrow wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote: It would be nice to have all Werebeast as natural enemies of the Vampires hordes.

Anyone know when did this feud start in fiction?

Couldn't find much in regards to Fiction except for the obvious movie monstrosities that have suggested this feud... and naturally some other Role Playing Games... However! Here's an interesting little tid-bit of information...

The battle between vampires and werewolves is most evident in the 2003 film Underworld. However, a blood feud between vampires and werewolves is more of movie concept than one based on traditional legend. In legend, werewolves and vampires simply did not have much contact. In some, they shared a connection, but were not necessarily mortal enemies.

There have been allusions to a battle between vampires and werewolves called the Trajanic Wars. In 101-102 and 105-106, there were two short wars between the Roman Empire during Trajan’s rule, and the Dacian kingdom, which had become a threat to the Empire. It was said that during that event the Dacian vampires betrayed the werewolves, which were their servants, to the Romans, and this unforgiveable act caused werewolves and vampires to become eternal enemies. Though the Trajanic War (also called the Dacian War) is a true part of history, the vampire and werewolf angle, of course, is only a myth.
GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

Unread post by GaredBattlespike »

Greetings!

I have a Nightbane Sorcerer known as "Bone Daddy". Bone Daddy was seeking an Alliance with the Werewolves, and I THINK my GM is using the Tribes of the Moon setup for them. I order to seal the Alliance, Bone Daddy had to MARRY a Werewolf Female, who has been very well portrayed as a Non-Human with a dynamic personality. The Werewolf's name is "Emily", and she's actually rather HOT in her Human (and even her Hybrid) Form. She's a bit possessive, but Emily and Bone Daddy are soon Expecting (a Requirement to Truely seal the Alliance with mutual Kin). I have been impressed with my GM's portrail as a being with a noticably Non-Human veiwpoint. Werewolves rock.

PS: The fact that Emily's Human Form is a classic Blonde Bombshell does not hurt.

Good Gaming, GaredBattlespike
"Save ARCHIE, save the world..."
-----------------------------
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-
(Demon 1):Woah, the hell happened to you?
(Demon 2):got my ass kicked by some guy with a knife and a handgun
(Demon 1):What? you gotta be kidding me!
(Demon 2):Thats what i was thinking...

anapuna wrote:
i rarely play a mage, but when i do... i do what GaredBattlespike does.

or i am a TW.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Warwolf wrote:If Kev were to let me run wild, you'd never look at Palladium's werebeasts the same way again. :demon:

Are they all drag queens? :clown:

Or do they turn you to stone with their gaze so you could never literally look at them the same way again?! :fool:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

I say go for it WarWolf! The one setting we are all forgetting is Beyond the Supernatural. That setting is begging for some attention!
G
TechnoGothic
Knight

The Dark Elf wrote:
Warwolf wrote:If Kev were to let me run wild, you'd never look at Palladium's werebeasts the same way again. :demon:

Are they all drag queens? :clown:

Or do they turn you to stone with their gaze so you could never literally look at them the same way again?! :fool:

Wouldnt they have the same look forever if their turned to stone ? So they look at them same way forever... :eek:

Kovoston wrote:I say go for it WarWolf! The one setting we are all forgetting is Beyond the Supernatural. That setting is begging for some attention!
G

I must admit. I was highly disappointed with BtS2e though.
Just too many PCCs in the game for me. I'd been happier with normal people OCCs.
But as is, BtS2e is the "Psychic RPG" of the sdc settings.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

For PCs I use the 'Tribes of the Moon' were-people.
For SN monsters I would use the BTS1 (using the description from that book) were-wolves.

As for the other types of were-beings in the PB megaverse, they fall somewhere in between the two extremes of playable and Demon I mentioned.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
FriarJohn00
D-Bee

Unread post by FriarJohn00 »

Which Rifter issue do these Tribes of the Moon appear?
Johnathan
Adventurer

FriarJohn00 wrote:Which Rifter issue do these Tribes of the Moon appear?

Rifter 4 and 5. Back in the beginning... And STILL awesome!
GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

Unread post by GaredBattlespike »

Greetings!

I like the Tribes of the Moon Werebeings, but if anyone has ideas for other varients of them, and other Creatures, then I say "Go for it!!!" There is no reason not to. The worst case is that it will not be much liked/used. The odds are that SOMEBODY will cherish it and use it with love. I say give it a try.

"Save ARCHIE, save the world..."
-----------------------------
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-
(Demon 1):Woah, the hell happened to you?
(Demon 2):got my ass kicked by some guy with a knife and a handgun
(Demon 1):What? you gotta be kidding me!
(Demon 2):Thats what i was thinking...

anapuna wrote:
i rarely play a mage, but when i do... i do what GaredBattlespike does.

or i am a TW.
TechnoGothic
Knight

I like the write up Werebeasts received in the Rifts Conversion books. Transform Day or night.

I liked the Tribes of the Moon articles, but the Tribes felt alittle to forced and artifical to me.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

FriarJohn00
D-Bee

Unread post by FriarJohn00 »

Johnathan wrote:
FriarJohn00 wrote:Which Rifter issue do these Tribes of the Moon appear?

Rifter 4 and 5. Back in the beginning... And STILL awesome!

Cool, thanks. I just purchased them off of ebay.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

GaredBattlespike wrote:Greetings!

I like the Tribes of the Moon Werebeings, but if anyone has ideas for other variants of them, and other Creatures, then I say "Go for it!!!" There is no reason not to. The worst case is that it will not be much liked/used. The odds are that SOMEBODY will cherish it and use it with love. I say give it a try.

The author of the article did have a were-fox type and a tribe associated with the were-foxes.
The full TotM text was available on the author's website before someone hacked it. The last I knew you had to ask the author to send the file to you. (I asked, but I never got anything.)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Daemon M wrote:Which version of Rifts CB1 are you using that has Were beasts?

Reason I ask is that my copy - the revised rifts CB1 from 2002 apparently does not have were beasts.
I only noticed that the were beast had apparently been cut after purchasing mystic Russia and seeing a reference with page number (Rifts CB1 - 191) for the werebeasts and then trying to track them down with no success.

My copy ends at pages 191-192 covering the Zavor.

Orginal Conversion Book One. Dark Conversions is were they got moved to for some reason.
I suggest you track down a pre-Revised Conversion Book One if you can. Overall it was better arranged and much more useful (to me at least).
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

I've been running were beasts in nightbane ever since trustrum's tribes of the moon. They are great, I've had some players dominate with them and some falter. I do normally hand out awesome stuff to anyone who will play the non powerhouse nightbane just to vary things up.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
TechnoGothic
Knight

Specter wrote:I've been running were beasts in nightbane ever since trustrum's tribes of the moon. They are great, I've had some players dominate with them and some falter. I do normally hand out awesome stuff to anyone who will play the non powerhouse nightbane just to vary things up.

Yeah Steve Trstrum's Tribes is good.
But he moved on Setting wise and system wise to Eden Studioes and d20, and True20 last i saw. Not sure what he is up to right now.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

GaredBattlespike wrote:Greetings!

I have a Nightbane Sorcerer known as "Bone Daddy". Bone Daddy was seeking an Alliance with the Werewolves, and I THINK my GM is using the Tribes of the Moon setup for them. I order to seal the Alliance, Bone Daddy had to MARRY a Werewolf Female, who has been very well portrayed as a Non-Human with a dynamic personality. The Werewolf's name is "Emily", and she's actually rather HOT in her Human (and even her Hybrid) Form. She's a bit possessive, but Emily and Bone Daddy are soon Expecting (a Requirement to Truely seal the Alliance with mutual Kin). I have been impressed with my GM's portrail as a being with a noticably Non-Human veiwpoint. Werewolves rock.

PS: The fact that Emily's Human Form is a classic Blonde Bombshell does not hurt.

She's expecting? Like pregnant? Can Nightbane have kids? I think Emily might be cheating on Bone Daddy.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Specter wrote:She's expecting? Like pregnant? Can Nightbane have kids? I think Emily might be cheating on Bone Daddy.

To answer your third question, the answer is whatever the GM wants it to be.
Last edited by Sir_Spirit on Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I have to say that I actually would dislike werebeasts in Nightbane. I also dislike Vampires and demons being in there though too.

My feelings are that both of those have been rehashed time and time again. Even making them different somehow is still using old mythos. In Nightbane most mythological creatures were explained by them probably being Nightbane. I like that. Nightlord minions are new and intriguing and I like that too.

Werebeasts in PFRPG, werebeasts in Rifts, now werebeasts in NB (just how many supernatural wars are going on unnoticed?). In all honesty I think they are better suited to BTS (along with vampires) than NB. If I wanted to play "Underworld" that's the base book I would use and add in the conversions.

What's next; faeries? (Ok I might have been watching True Blood too much but werewolves ruined that too).
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

I strive for David Cronenberg and Clive Barker with Nightbane...not Stephenie Meyer and Charlaine Harris.
So no kissy wissy vampires or shirtless stud werewolves. The only thing that glimmers in the sunlight are the entrails that get strewn about when things go very right or very wrong.

My NB Vampires have a black cancerous mass where the heart is supposed to be. When you stake one...you are impaling the parasitic mass that is the true vampire...the body is just a puppet. I really dig the whole Lovecraftian alien, vampiric take of Palladium vampires.
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

The Dark Elf wrote:I have to say that I actually would dislike werebeasts in Nightbane. I also dislike Vampires and demons being in there though too.

My feelings are that both of those have been rehashed time and time again. Even making them different somehow is still using old mythos. In Nightbane most mythological creatures were explained by them probably being Nightbane. I like that. Nightlord minions are new and intriguing and I like that too.

Werebeasts in PFRPG, werebeasts in Rifts, now werebeasts in NB (just how many supernatural wars are going on unnoticed?). In all honesty I think they are better suited to BTS (along with vampires) than NB. If I wanted to play "Underworld" that's the base book I would use and add in the conversions.

What's next; faeries? (Ok I might have been watching True Blood too much but werewolves ruined that too).

No to the werebeasts...vampires...the alien inteligence variety don't bother me. Faeries...hum...maybe Astral Fae would work better than the garden variety.

I kinda envision the Astral realm being Guillermo del Toro-ish. Alien, wonderous and dangerous.

But NO real world Faeries, werewolves and other WoD variety poser monstrosities with their big hair and leather pants.

JMHutchins
D-Bee
Comment: Author of the Dark Day Chronicles in the Rifter magazines.

Unread post by JMHutchins »

The fourth installment of the Dark Day Chronicles actually introduces some variant Werewolves and Vampires to the Nightbane world. While I loved the Tribes of the Moon, I felt, with a lot of play-testing in my home and on-line games, that there was some lacking areas in both races. Vampires, as they are written for other settings, just didn't fit my version of the Nightbane world. Neither did the Tribes of the Moon. You'll see in October's edition that I refer to my were-creatures as Lunari, and they have some different abilities than the ones listed for the Tribes of the Moon. For example, Lunari are born as what they are and after they gain their shape-shifting powers for the first time (around 15-20 years old depending on any outside stimuli), they are forever changed. To make them a little more unique, I gave the Lunari supernatural strength in all of their forms (including their human one). To me, they are what they are at all times. The brief history I introduced had them as an off-shoot of the homo sapien race around the time Neanderthals and Cro-Magnon man were fighting it out for dominance. The Hominus Lunari, as I'll call them, evolved over thousands of years to become the various races they are now. My story only has two were-wolves in it presently, but I plan to introduce other lycanthropes as the tale progresses.

For the vampires in my particular setting, I eliminated the vampire intelligences and gave Master Vampires complete free will. They are, for the most part, identical to the vampires in the other books with a few exceptions. I kept vulnerability to wood and silver but eliminated vulnerability to water. Even running water does nothing to them. Holy water, properly blessed by one who can perform the correct ritual and has the proper faith (something else I plan to introduce in a later tale), will hurt and even kill them. Also, dismemberment by another supernatural being is something that will slay them permanently in my setting. They can always mist before they are ripped to shreds, so there's no reason not to allow that as a final death. Aside from supernatural attacks, silver, and wood, then little else can pierce their skin enough to rip them apart. Explosions, car wrecks, falls from impossible heights... none of them will harm them. I also introduced that newborn vampires don't necessarily get all of their powers immediately upon their rebirth. They have to learn/discover them. Vampires, by their very nature, are fast learners, though, so it doesn't take long for them to master their new powers (usually a few weeks, less if they have a teacher).

For both races, I took ideas from the power progression chart in Vampire Kingdoms in order to demonstrate how both Lunari and Vampires gain abilities and strength as they age. Lunari in my world age like Nightbane once they shift the first time. Vampires cease aging at all from the day they are changed. As time passes (read that as levels), they gain new abilities to reflect their power. That's how one Master Vampire that's far older than another can show dominance.

I'm still toggling the rules based on play-tests, but so far nothing I've mentioned above has ever thrown one of my games out of balance. I usually allow players to select from many races. I cap all races but human and Nightbane at one PC only. So if someone selects an Athanatos (any type), no one else may pick one. End of discussion. Humans and Nightbane, however, can have as many PCs in the party as the group wishes. Usually I end up with two or three Nightbane, a Vampire or Lunari, a Guardian, and either a psychic/magic human or an Athanatos. I find it a good mix and the players like the variety. I make sure none of the Nightbane are anything similar to one another in appearance, talents, skills, or Morphus in order to help everyone seem like that have something truly unique.

Just some additional ideas for anyone that might want to think outside the box. I love the Nightbane setting, but it's a bit dated now from the time it was first printed. Newer ideas have surfaced in other books, so I like to try and keep things fresh. Opinions? Feedback (positive or negative)?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." ~Albert Einstein
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer

siren0628 wrote:I was looking for the stats for were-alligator. I thought I saw it in one of the rifters but can not find it in a general search. Does anyone know what the stats are or where and in which book thanks.

The were-gator would be under the heading of reptillan on page 99 of the main Nightbane book.

Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

I like the idea of Night Lords/princes being confuse with vampires(using blood to drink the life force instead of taking by force, which they can also do). And with Nightbanes being confused with werebeasts.
It gives people more Freedom with their character design.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.

Return to “Nightbane®”