TW Question

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

TW Question

Unread post by Athos »

Hey there

I was trying to figure out how much it cost to add a TW enhancement to my armor and the rules just blew me away...

I want to add the 3 level spell, Impervious to Fire to my armor. It will be added by a 12th level TW. Imp to Fire costs 5 PPE to activate. I have a 15 carat smoky quartz crystal/gem, which cost 2250 credits. Seems simple enough right? In RMB it would be a flat 70k. In RUE, it is a freaking EVIL exercise in trying to understand gibberish.

OK, here is how far I got.... PLEASE, PLEASE feel free to point out any errors

1 spell, impervious to fire, no "chains"

PPE Construction Cost = 12 x 10 x 5 or 600 divide that by 15 carats and you get 40...

Total Cost = 40 x 10 x 12 + gem is 2250 or about 7050 credits if my math is right.

So in RUE, it is now 10x cheaper than in RMB? I can't be doing this right, please help
Galroth
Adventurer

Re: TW Question

Unread post by Galroth »

Athos wrote:Hey there

I was trying to figure out how much it cost to add a TW enhancement to my armor and the rules just blew me away...

I want to add the 3 level spell, Impervious to Fire to my armor. It will be added by a 12th level TW. Imp to Fire costs 5 PPE to activate. I have a 15 carat smoky quartz crystal/gem, which cost 2250 credits. Seems simple enough right? In RMB it would be a flat 70k. In RUE, it is a freaking EVIL exercise in trying to understand gibberish.

OK, here is how far I got.... PLEASE, PLEASE feel free to point out any errors

1 spell, impervious to fire, no "chains"

PPE Construction Cost = 12 x 10 x 5 or 600 divide that by 15 carats and you get 40...

Total Cost = 40 x 10 x 12 + gem is 2250 or about 7050 credits if my math is right.

So in RUE, it is now 10x cheaper than in RMB? I can't be doing this right, please help

The reason it's only costing you 1/10th of what the RMB says is because you are using 10x the carats that are needed for the effect. You only need 1.5 carats of smokey quartz for Impervious to Fire since it is a third level spell (the rule of thumb is .5 carats per spell level).
Athos
Hero

Unread post by Athos »

Ahh, so size of gem makes that big of difference...

Ok, thanks, did not see the .5 carats per spell level minimum in there, but that is good to know as well.

Also, good to know that for cheap gems/crystals like quartz, bigger carats pays off big time on final cost.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Athos wrote:Ahh, so size of gem makes that big of difference...

Ok, thanks, did not see the .5 carats per spell level minimum in there, but that is good to know as well.

Also, good to know that for cheap gems/crystals like quartz, bigger carats pays off big time on final cost.

yeah, you should also note that that's the cost to make the enchantment. buying it *should* cost more (although that's not what the book says). or, in other words, that would be the cost if you assume that the techno-wizard has a 100% success rate in making them (most won't) and that the techno-wizard is working for free. given those kinds of assumptions are pretty much ludicrous, i think we can safely assume that the person who claimed that's the *market value* of the device were simply not thinking at all.

also... remember that the GM has to approve anything being made. so, for example, if you try to make magical mack's resurrection machine, expect to be told no :P
Galroth
Adventurer

Unread post by Galroth »

Shark_Force wrote:

yeah, you should also note that that's the cost to make the enchantment. buying it *should* cost more (although that's not what the book says). or, in other words, that would be the cost if you assume that the techno-wizard has a 100% success rate in making them (most won't) and that the techno-wizard is working for free. given those kinds of assumptions are pretty much ludicrous, i think we can safely assume that the person who claimed that's the *market value* of the device were simply not thinking at all.

also... remember that the GM has to approve anything being made. so, for example, if you try to make magical mack's resurrection machine, expect to be told no :P

Good points, there definitely should be a cost associated with the drawing up of the schematics and another for creation and installation.

Man, I really want to play a TW. ;)
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

I built a spreadsheet to do the TW creation math for me. It allows me to quickly check various changes in levels, carats, payloads, etc...

Using the minimum carats gets the following:
Device Level 3
Spells - Impervious to fire
Activation: 5 PPE
Construction: 100 PPE & 30 hours
Gems carats - 1.5 Quartz (smoky)
Build Cost: 3225 credits

If you used all 15 carats that you have available, you get:
Device Level 3
Activation: 1 PPE (this is actually rounded up from 0.5)
Construction: 10 PPE & 3 hours
Gems carats - 15 Quartz (smoky)
Build Cost: 2550 credits

Or, you can minimize the cost of the build by using 5.5 carats:
Device Level 3
Activation: 2 PPE (rounded up from 1.4)
Construction: 28 PPE & 9 hours
Gems carats - 5.5 Quartz (smoky)
Build Cost: 1643 credits

And yes, in RUE, it is a freaking EVIL exercise in trying to understand gibberish.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Athos
Hero

Unread post by Athos »

Mack wrote:I built a spreadsheet to do the TW creation math for me. It allows me to quickly check various changes in levels, carats, payloads, etc...

So where do we send the paypal money to get a copy of this spreadsheet :)
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Athos wrote:
Mack wrote:I built a spreadsheet to do the TW creation math for me. It allows me to quickly check various changes in levels, carats, payloads, etc...

So where do we send the paypal money to get a copy of this spreadsheet :)

actually, while he could possibly just give it to you no problem, actually selling it is... well, possibly illegal (though of course, i am not a copyright lawyer). unless he has some sort of deal with palladium that i'm unaware of.

on the other hand, for the most part, making such a spreadsheet wouldn't be too hard, i imagine.
X'Zanthar
Wanderer

Unread post by X'Zanthar »

Yea women deny it, but...... :)

TW's are great in so many ways, for RP they can be anything from mad scientist to McGyver types!

Return to “Rifts®”