Weapons damage

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Re: Weapons damage

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Of course. It's magic.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

There is no logic to how much damage weapons do. They simply do what the authors say they do.

There is no rhyme or reason. MD weapons do damage that defy our intuition on how things should work. As a result, published damages (and damage capacities, for that matter) are entirely arbitrary.

Rant over.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

Last Czarian wrote:Can a weapon like a Rune sword be more powerful then a plasma gun or laser rifle? I seen on an OCC once that had a Rune sword doing 5d6x10 md while a laser did 3d6 md. Wouldn't the laser do more damage instead?
Rune Weapons are the most powerful magical weapons in existence. Generally, it is pretty easy for them to deal more damage than a laser.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Of course they can, but it depends on what the creator had in mind. Also, since most can also be oriented against a specific foe the damage potential in some cases is staggering. :)
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Unread post by Athos »

I have seen people playing characters that did over a 1000 MD per melee round, and others that were lucky to do 50 in the same 15 seconds... that's just rifts. There is quite a disparity between possible characters when you allow all the megaversal rules, especially junk like super powers. As long as all the characters are in the same ballpark, damage wise, by that I mean within 2x or 3x difference between lowest and highest, and the GM is throwing appropriately scaled encounters at them, it seems to work. It's when one pc is doing 20x the damage of the rest of the party that rifts tends to break down. GMing Rifts is harder, imo, than any other game out there, because you have to get ahead of the power curve right away and make sure that one or a couple PCs don't break the game.
popscythe
Adventurer
Comment: Mecha-sized flamethrowers, dudes! *woooooosh* :heart:

Unread post by popscythe »

Use your imagination.
Zarathustra was extremely accurate. He was talking about you, man.
Whoops! Looks like I was wrong about where Mos Eisley's located.
Victorious on Final Jeopardy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pilrszSXGiI
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Last Czarian wrote:I have never seen a rune weapon katana do 5d6x10 mdc being wielded by a ninja though. The OCC I found called for a ninja to use one.

Well of course you haven't, they're ninjas after all...

But rest assured, it happens ALL THE TIME. :lol:
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

I don't think the question is so much about weapon damage as it is about how important it is to make sure that the damage output within the game being played is where it should be.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Mega Damage

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

General Guidelines
1D6-2D4 = Standard Ranged Weapon
2D6 = Average Melee Weapon
3D6 = High End Melee Weapon/Standard Laser Rifle
4D6 = Grendades, High Powered Ranged Weapons
5D6 = Top of the line Military Weapons
Multiplier x5 = Normally reserved for Bursts or Sprays
Multiplier x10 = Mega Weapons (Giant Mech-Scale Weaponry or Massive Area Damage

Use this rough scale to keep in mind the hitting power of a weapon and roughly how common it is. If your character is going 5D6 M.D. with Supernatural Strength they're hitting with more force than the average CS grenade. Which are high end explosives that cost about 50 credits each.

That sword does more damage than most missiles with each attack and a missile is even MORE expensive than that. Go look at a jet fighter shooting a stinger missile at something on youtube and THAT is what the Rune Weapon is capable of doing (each swing).

In short, yes the magic sword (in this instance) is more devastating than a standard laser.

I hope this has helped somewhat. :)
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Last Czarian wrote:Can a weapon like a Rune sword be more powerful then a plasma gun or laser rifle? I seen on an OCC once that had a Rune sword doing 5d6x10 md while a laser did 3d6 md. Wouldn't the laser do more damage instead?

The really powerful part of the mystique about Rune weapons is the small portion that are soul-drinkers. These can, if the conditions are met, with one cut kill the target by sucking that opponent's soul out of them.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Mega Damage

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Akashic Soldier wrote:General Guidelines
1D6-2D6 = Standard Ranged Weapon
1D6 = Average Melee Weapon
Multiplier x2 = non-energy short bursts
Multiplier x3 = pulse damage for energy weapons, long bursts for others
Multiplier x5 = Normally reserved for short MG style Bursts
Multiplier x10 = Mega Weapons (Giant Mech-Scale Weaponry or Massive Area Damage), or Long MG style bursts

corrections in red.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Ronin78
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Ronin78 »

A sword cutting you in half or taking your head off should do more damage than a laser burning a hole through your leg. I think the way I look at it is Runeswords rarely just nick you. After all a low roll would be 50 damage.

you could always reduce the damage of the rune-sword for a hit roll that barely hits. On the same note a laser blast to the head could be multiplied by 10 since its such a vital area.

After all your looking at the base damage of a well placed shot. Adjust up or down as needed for a better or worse hit.
Gamers are the only people I know that can brag about the things they pretend they did.

My Gaming Blog http://gamingronin.blogspot.com/
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Re: Mega Damage

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Akashic Soldier wrote:General Guidelines
1D6-2D6 = Standard Ranged Weapon
1D6 = Average Melee Weapon
Multiplier x2 = non-energy short bursts
Multiplier x3 = pulse damage for energy weapons, long bursts for others
Multiplier x5 = Normally reserved for short MG style Bursts
Multiplier x10 = Mega Weapons (Giant Mech-Scale Weaponry or Massive Area Damage), or Long MG style bursts

corrections in red.

Thank you but in my experience (looking over what is commonly available) its safe to assume that most melee weapons do 2D6 MD. Smaller weapons (Vibro Knives Etc) do 1D6, larger or exceptional melee weapons (Vibro Katanas etc) do 3D6.

Also on average most common ranged weapons inflict between 1D6 and 2D4 (Pistols).
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Ronin78 wrote:A sword cutting you in half or taking your head off should do more damage than a laser burning a hole through your leg.

Pretty sure a Rifts laser weapon wouldn't put a hole through your leg. Rather, your leg would detonate like an impromptu (and icky) frag grenade. :lol:
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg

Return to “Rifts®”