So what American remnants still exist on Rifts Earth?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

So what American remnants still exist on Rifts Earth?

Unread post by Cyber-Knight »

As far as I know there's the following:

The Megaversal Legion [South America 2] (Which is, in part, made up of former US soldiers)
The New Navy [Rifts Underseas]
Freedom Station [Mutants in Orbit]

So what other American groups or organizations still exist on Rifts Earth?
MIAMI, FL: Player Looking For a Game.
taalismn
Priest

Re: So what American remnants still exist on Rifts Earth?

Unread post by taalismn »

Republicans(Rifts Sourcebook One Revised)...who claim to have unbroken organizational integrity back to NEMA

Unofficially? I wouldn't be surprised if there were members of the Black Market who claimed their family ties to organized crime went back pre-Rifts.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

I don't have that revised sourcebook. So what's the deal with them, precisely, if you don't mind my asking?
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Basically they are the descendants of survivors of the cataclysm. Mostly NEMA and CIA with some civilians and military types mixed in no doubt.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Cyber-Knight wrote:As far as I know there's the following:

The Megaversal Legion [South America 2] (Which is, in part, made up of former US soldiers)
The New Navy [Rifts Underseas]
Freedom Station [Mutants in Orbit]

So what other American groups or organizations still exist on Rifts Earth?

Republicians
CS to some extent,
That town in Texas who still fly the America flag and think of themselves as americians
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

Nah, I was thinking of organizations. I always thought it might be fun to play in a campaign where those disparate elements are unified into a cohesive force and work towards reestablishing the United States, at least the original 13 colonies, which would serve as a counterbalance to the Coalition.
taalismn
Priest

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:[
That town in Texas who still fly the America flag and think of themselves as americians

That would be Los Alamos, which apparently forted up during the Coming of the Rifts, possibly with stockpiles of military equipment and prototypes being tested(and possibly some limited onsite manufacturing capabilities. Likely nothing compared to what Bandito Arms found at Area 51, or else Los Alamos would be a bigger player in the modern Rifts Black Market as a supplier.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

I really like the Republicans from Sourcebook 1 Revised. With the right direction and little luck, they could eventually become a force that even the Coalition would be hard pressed to reckon with. If they could somehow completely hack and take over A.R.C.H.I.E.-3, they would really be a powerful force to deal with. I doubt the Coalition States could hold them off.

I should definitely take a look at that book when I get the chance. Hopefully my local game store has it and I can just go pick it up tomorrow.

Whatever their deal is, though, even if they can't take over ARCHIE-3 it'd still be neat if they could somehow make contact with the Megaversal Legion, New Navy, and/or Freedom Station. It'd be nice if those groups or organizations which still view themselves as Americans and would have an interest in rebuilding the US were to join forces and establish themselves somewhere on the east coast.
taalismn
Priest

jaymz wrote:Basically they are the descendants of survivors of the cataclysm. Mostly NEMA and CIA with some civilians and military types mixed in no doubt.

Also many of the Heritage Glitterboy families have links to them.
They're also presented as secret power brokers and kingmakers who have been trying to tweak the major societies of North America back to a restoration of the United States(or something like it). They're apparently responsible for many of the Coalition States' early successes, but the project got away from them and instead of a military-state democracy with Jim Crow laws for d-bees (the Republicans ain't any better than the Germans when it comes to this and are arguably worse), the New America (the CS) became North Korea with a Hitler-admirer as hereditary autocrat running the show. The Republicans are NOT pleased with this.
Their big intel ace in the hole is they know about ARCHIE-3 and have some limited ability to hack backdoors into his periphery factories and suborn them to produce advanced military hardware in quick-run production batches, but they cannot turn the toaster off. A3's been fighting a covert war against them for a century, fearful that if they were to succeed in getting back in charge of his Aberdeen facility, they would destabilize North America for the worse, kill him off by shutting him down, and thwart his own plans for domination over Humanity.

Essentially, though, the Republicans have become a secret society obsessed with gaining back what they feel they've lost, primarily control over the country, while blinding themselves to a number of realities of the modern situation(such as how bad the vampire situation is).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

"Got away from them." Talk about an understatement! LOL! Definitely sounds interesting, though. When was this book released, anyway? It's been a couple years since I lost bought a Rifts book and I don't recall seeing an updated version of Sourcebook One at the time.

Though if that's their opinion of D-Bee's, one wonders how they would react to the Sea Titans in the New Navy or the Ojahee in the Megaversal Legion. Any potential alliance between those factions certainly wouldn't be without its hiccups.
Nether
Adventurer

Unread post by Nether »

taalismn wrote:
jaymz wrote:Basically they are the descendants of survivors of the cataclysm. Mostly NEMA and CIA with some civilians and military types mixed in no doubt.

Also many of the Heritage Glitterboy families have links to them.
They're also presented as secret power brokers and kingmakers who have been trying to tweak the major societies of North America back to a restoration of the United States(or something like it). They're apparently responsible for many of the Coalition States' early successes, but the project got away from them and instead of a military-state democracy with Jim Crow laws for d-bees (the Republicans ain't any better than the Germans when it comes to this and are arguably worse), the New America (the CS) became North Korea with a Hitler-admirer as hereditary autocrat running the show. The Republicans are NOT pleased with this.
Their big intel ace in the hole is they know about ARCHIE-3 and have some limited ability to hack backdoors into his periphery factories and suborn them to produce advanced military hardware in quick-run production batches, but they cannot turn the toaster off. A3's been fighting a covert war against them for a century, fearful that if they were to succeed in getting back in charge of his Aberdeen facility, they would destabilize North America for the worse, kill him off by shutting him down, and thwart his own plans for domination over Humanity.

Essentially, though, the Republicans have become a secret society obsessed with gaining back what they feel they've lost, primarily control over the country, while blinding themselves to a number of realities of the modern situation(such as how bad the vampire situation is).

Actually I think you summed that up pretty well.

Though thing for repuclicans for me is i hate the name for a faction and i still find i have no idea what their stuff looks like. One of the big pulls for the CS is they just look like a badass faction, though pretty twisted and dark in comparison to what i would consider a true American faction.
Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

There's no artwork for their gear? Ugh, I hate when that happens.
taalismn
Priest

Cyber-Knight wrote:"Got away from them." Talk about an understatement! LOL! Definitely sounds interesting, though. When was this book released, anyway? It's been a couple years since I lost bought a Rifts book and I don't recall seeing an updated version of Sourcebook One at the time.

Though if that's their opinion of D-Bee's, one wonders how they would react to the Sea Titans in the New Navy or the Ojahee in the Megaversal Legion. Any potential alliance between those factions certainly wouldn't be without its hiccups.

Worse, there's an entire d-bee SPECIES, the Squilb(D-Bees of North America) who are basically an entire culture of heroic sidekicks-in-waiting who apparently fought beside NEMA during the Coming of the Rifts, and would gladly join the Republican banner(as the descendants of the Squilbs' good buddies in NEMA, as told around Squilb campfires) providing them with a ready legion of faithful troops, if the Republicans would only have them.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

That I don't get. If they're descended from NEMA then shouldn't they be aware that their predecessors worked with those D-Bee's without issues?
taalismn
Priest

Cyber-Knight wrote:That I don't get. If they're descended from NEMA then shouldn't they be aware that their predecessors worked with those D-Bee's without issues?

Not necessarily. Given the breakdown of organization and communications during the Dark Ages of the Coming of the Rifts, the trials and travails of, say, NEMA teams valiantly protecting a retreat out of San Diego, with the help of D-bees, might not make it across the suddenly very dangerous continent to the pockets of NEMA soldiers fighting in the East. Especially if the only survivors of the Battle of San Diego are a few badly wounded soldiers limping away afterwards. Memories fade, especially when you're fighting for your lives, and organizations can lose their idealism and original mission over time. Isolation, especially over a century, leads to the misplacement of information, and not all NEMA units were good enough to write down their good experiences and report them to a central databank for the ages before they dissolved unit cohesion, and passed away.
Example: Historically, we owe a lot to the French for their role in helping us kick the British out, but nowadays ridicule for the French is more common than praise for an old ally, and we're happily buddies with the Brits(despite the fact that in 1812 they burned our capitol).

After all, the CS is descended from General Sawyer's valiant efforts to move refugees to Chi-Town Arcology, and she was a product of an idealistic democratic USA that had regained its fire in the Golden Age. A century later, Emperor Joe Prosek is crushing civil rights and any dissent to his righteous rule with an iron fist and son/prince-run state spin.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

No, what I meant was that their direct ancestors had worked with those Squilbs, I.E. the grandparents and great-grandparents of whatever NPC's are in that book. I guess, though, that whichever NEMA groups it was that the Squilbs worked with, the ones which eventually became the Republicans wasn't one of them.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Cyber-Knight wrote:There's no artwork for their gear? Ugh, I hate when that happens.

The artwork for the Republican gear is in Revised Source Book 1. It is pretty cool.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

It's not in "AMERICA" but is in NORTH America, the Tundra Rangers are Prerifts folks thrown forward into the future. So if you're counting Canadian RCMP's, they're there.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

The closest thing to the actual US left on Rifts Earth is the New Navy.

The Republicans have drifted too far off base. Hell, even their name for themselves is based off of one of their better attempts at nation building, that was crushed by the Splugorth, rather than anything based on the US.
It's kind of like if there was a faction trying to represent all the shadow government conspiracies trying to survive the apocalypse.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Reguarding the Squilbs IIRC they only think they fought along side NEMA. I don't have my books with me at the moment, so no page numbers or proper quotes.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

taalismn wrote: A century later, Emperor Joe Prosek is crushing civil rights and any dissent to his righteous rule with an iron fist and son/prince-run state spin.

Not quite. Josepch the 1st was a little more than 2 centuries later and the crushing of civil rights, irrc, didn't really come until after Josepch rule with Karl. Also until Karl it was not a Dictatorship. It was during Karl's rule that the psuedomonarchy was put into place.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
masslegion
Explorer

Unread post by masslegion »

Armorlord wrote:The closest thing to the actual US left on Rifts Earth is the New Navy.

The Republicans have drifted too far off base. Hell, even their name for themselves is based off of one of their better attempts at nation building, that was crushed by the Splugorth, rather than anything based on the US.
It's kind of like if there was a faction trying to represent all the shadow government conspiracies trying to survive the apocalypse.

I always understood their named themselves the Republicans as a way of proclaiming their efforts to restore and American Republic.

SB:1 pg 117 The Republicans wrote: They dream of building a new America patterned after the old. Hence, they took a name that harkens to their roots in the past and their dreams of the future.
SB1: pg 119 A Bit of History wrote:Their purpose, to be "the army of the New Republic, dedicated to restoring peace and prosperity to our great nation"
original mission of NEMA under Director Manning during the Dark Ages.

but yes to support what you said:
SB:1 pg 121 Note: wrote: The Republican's moment in the sun happened about 60 years after the Great Cataclysm... They called themselves the New Republic, and they were the Republicans.

I'm just saying the name of the Republicans goes much further than this failed attempt.
Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

I just ordered Sourcebook One, Triax Two, and Powers Unlimited 3 (Numerical order. HAH!) from the Palladium Books website. Hopefully they'll arrive at my apartment in a reasonable amount of time (Sadly there aren't any game stores in town which carry any of them. Hell, my FLGS owner told me that he couldn't remember the last time anyone bought any Rifts books, so I guess I'm SOOL when it comes to finding a new gaming group), as I'd really like to know exactly what the deal with the Republicans is. Man, I wish Palladium offered PDF versions of their books. I could've been looking this stuff last night... :cry:
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

Cyber-Knight wrote:I just ordered Sourcebook One, Triax Two, and Powers Unlimited 3 (Numerical order. HAH!) from the Palladium Books website. Hopefully they'll arrive at my apartment in a reasonable amount of time (Sadly there aren't any game stores in town which carry any of them. Hell, my FLGS owner told me that he couldn't remember the last time anyone bought any Rifts books, so I guess I'm SOOL when it comes to finding a new gaming group), as I'd really like to know exactly what the deal with the Republicans is. Man, I wish Palladium offered PDF versions of their books. I could've been looking this stuff last night... :cry:

Powers Unlimited 3 really doesn't have much to offer. I'd recommend PU1 or PU2 before picking up PU3. Actually, I'd recommend most books before picking up PU3.
Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

PU2 definitely has more from what I hear, but I wanted the stats for Ectoplasmic Armor and Energy Wings. I'd like alternatives to Bio-Armor that do more than simply provide a suit of armor and, from what I understand, Ectoplasmic Armor and Matter Expulsion: Metal are the two available alternatives.

But anyway, question. Let's say that the Republicans, the Squilb, the Megaversal Legion, the New Navy, and Freedom Station were to ally together. COULD they successfully carve out for themselves a nation on the east coast and successfully rebuff any potential Coalition strikes?
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Ectoplasmic Bidet wrote:
Cyber-Knight wrote:I just ordered Sourcebook One, Triax Two, and Powers Unlimited 3 (Numerical order. HAH!) from the Palladium Books website. Hopefully they'll arrive at my apartment in a reasonable amount of time (Sadly there aren't any game stores in town which carry any of them. Hell, my FLGS owner told me that he couldn't remember the last time anyone bought any Rifts books, so I guess I'm SOOL when it comes to finding a new gaming group), as I'd really like to know exactly what the deal with the Republicans is. Man, I wish Palladium offered PDF versions of their books. I could've been looking this stuff last night... :cry:

Powers Unlimited 3 really doesn't have much to offer. I'd recommend PU1 or PU2 before picking up PU3. Actually, I'd recommend most books before picking up PU3.

I disagree. PU 1, 2, and 3. All have things to offer. PU 3 has some intresting APS powers along with other ones like Monsterous form and Sub zero that are nice. :)

Dr Megaverse
Adventurer

Unread post by Dr Megaverse »

Ectoplasmic Bidet wrote:

I'd say yes! They have sufficient tech to build a solid nation in the east, especially with repurposed Shemarrians to help. However their true power would lie in the sleeper agents they no doubt have amogst the major nations of the USA. If all the sudden the FoM got whipped up on the east and sent at the CS, just as the Pecos nations decide they want all of Texas in the south things could be a bit hectic for the CS. Especially if they also used their sleepers in the CS to sabotague nuclear silos, arms depots, supply checkpoints, security systems and the like, they could apply surgical strikes of insane force to break into CS fortress cities and take control.

The Republicans have some great toys, but their biggest power is the long term sleeper cells they've built in almost every government and orginzation of note in the USA.
Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

They could lead a surgical strike against archies compound and reawaken the NEMA soldiers and tech that are on cryo-freeze there.

ARCHIE has NEMA soldiers in cryo-freeze? How many soldiers are we talking about here?
Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

I'd say yes! They have sufficient tech to build a solid nation in the east, especially with repurposed Shemarrians to help. However their true power would lie in the sleeper agents they no doubt have amogst the major nations of the USA. If all the sudden the FoM got whipped up on the east and sent at the CS, just as the Pecos nations decide they want all of Texas in the south things could be a bit hectic for the CS. Especially if they also used their sleepers in the CS to sabotague nuclear silos, arms depots, supply checkpoints, security systems and the like, they could apply surgical strikes of insane force to break into CS fortress cities and take control.

The Republicans have some great toys, but their biggest power is the long term sleeper cells they've built in almost every government and orginzation of note in the USA.

Wow, do they really have sleeper cells in all of these organizations? Even the Federation of Magic?
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

Johnnycat93 wrote:
Cyber-Knight wrote:
They could lead a surgical strike against archies compound and reawaken the NEMA soldiers and tech that are on cryo-freeze there.

ARCHIE has NEMA soldiers in cryo-freeze? How many soldiers are we talking about here?

If I recall correctly it was 2-3,000 with enough equipment for all of them. ARCHIE has complete control over all of them though.

There are nearly 29,000 NEMA soldiers in stasis.
Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

Holy crap! 29,000 is a lot more than 2-3,000. :shock:

So let's look at the numbers...

029,000 Cryogenically Frozen NEMA Soldiers
010,000 Squilbs (It says "by the thousands", and there're 1d4x10,000 in the west ready to fight vampires, so I figure I'm lowballing)
250,000 Megaversal Legion Soldiers
520,000 New Navy Sailors/Marines

And that's without counting whatever forces Freedom Station or the Republicans could bring to bear. That's not bad at all.
Last edited by Cyber-Knight on Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slight001
Hero

I'd be shocked if the NEMA soldiers in cryo-stasis put up with the Republicans BS... The Republicans are crazy and have no realistic understanding of the situation in North America let alone the world. The NEMA soldiers are likely to call the Republicans on their unreasonable expectations which will likely cause a civil-war within the Republicans when the NEMA soldiers don't just step in line and follow the orders of the Republicans.
taalismn
Priest

Slight001 wrote:Reguarding the Squilbs IIRC they only think they fought along side NEMA. I don't have my books with me at the moment, so no page numbers or proper quotes.

D-Bees of North America, pg. 200:
"Many are the tales that claim the first Squilbs worked with the Neemans(NEMA) to protect survivors of the Great Cataclysm from one demonic onslaught after another. Many Squilbs would recognize NEMA emblems and mechanized units, including those of the Republicans, and would be quick to reunite with the ally of their forefathers. This is especially true if the NEMA army held in stasis by ARCHIE were released to take a stand against any injustice. Of course, those soldiers know nothing about Squilbs and the Republicans are xenophobic, but the Squilbs would be ready to join them by the thousands if they would have them."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

Yeah, if they can recognize insignia then they don't just think they fought alongside NEMA, their ancestors must've actually done so.

+1. I really love the artwork for the Republicans gear. It's good stuff.

Ugh. If I had a local game store which carried this book I'd have it in my hands by now. As it is I have to wait for the Palladium online store to ship who-knows-when. I don't think I got an estimated delivery date on my confirmation e-mail. :\
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Cyber-Knight wrote:Yeah, if they can recognize insignia then they don't just think they fought alongside NEMA, their ancestors must've actually done so.

+1. I really love the artwork for the Republicans gear. It's good stuff.

Ugh. If I had a local game store which carried this book I'd have it in my hands by now. As it is I have to wait for the Palladium online store to ship who-knows-when. I don't think I got an estimated delivery date on my confirmation e-mail. :\

The little glitter boy... glitter lad..... whatever they call it is spiffy. As is their golden birdy samus.

taalismn
Priest

Pepsi Jedi wrote:[

The little glitter boy... glitter lad..... whatever they call it is spiffy. As is their golden birdy samus.

Chromium Troop(aka 'Little Brother') and the Golden Eagle. Their version of the Glitterboy is the Chromium Guardsman Mk III. Plus they get some neat small arms.

The frozen NEMA army is said to be fully equipped, with a full set of advanced body armor, energy weapon, power armor, and robot vehicle waiting for each. Which would be NEMA gear from Rifts Chaos Earth(so Cyber-Knight might want to pick that up as well if he wants to see what the NEMA 'army on ice' might be packing). Now admittedly, a lot of NEMA gear didn't survive the Coming of the Rifts with the notable exception of the Glitterboys and maybe a few APCs and jeeps, but now that the Rifts have calmed down, the stuff(like the Mastiff and Big Dog) might hold its own again if re-introduced, and could be easily modified and updated(not by ARCHIE-3, unless he was feeling REALLY generous and wanted to show off his superiority, or was otherwise coerced...or the Republicans hack his factory again for the Big Robots).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Slight001
Hero

Johnnycat93 wrote:I appear to be the only one on the forums who actually thinks that the republicans equipment is an abomination. ABOMINATION I SAY!

Why?
Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

I reserve judgment until I see the book for myself. I will say this, though. I LOVE the Silver Eagle from Chaos Earth. A flying mini Glitter Boy? Yes, please! :) The thing even has more MDC than the current Super SAMAS, in addition to the laser resistant properties of the chromium armor.
Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

What changes did they make to the Glitter Boy and Silver Eagle?
Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

Well, installing extra weapons isn't a bad idea. That's why the Triax Glitter Boy's so cool. Mini-Missile Launchers, shoulder-mounter laser, and vibro-blade make for a nice addition to the Boom Gun, instead of having to rely solely on that (not to mention also being able to carry a separate rifle, as the Boom Gun's now shoulder-mounted). It's nice to have options, particularly when not every target entails blasting away with a 3d6x10 MD gun which makes a sonic boom every time it's fired and which requires the Glitter Boy to be fastened to the ground first. And a laser gun isn't a bad idea, as Glitter Boy's won't have to worry so much about friendly fire. Although if the firepower is drastically less than a Boom Gun, then yeah, that's a problem. They'd be better served just giving them a sidearm which they can fire with their left hand when they're not shooting the Boom Gun.

As for the Golden Eagle, wouldn't painting it affect the reflective quality of the chromium armor? Seems kind of pointless. I'd have to see how the extra wings look to pass judgment, but if they make the armor better...
Slight001
Hero

Johnnycat93 wrote:
Cyber-Knight wrote:What changes did they make to the Glitter Boy and Silver Eagle?

The glitter boy has had the boom gun replaced with a laser cannon and a close weapons package was installed. The golden eagle has six wings for added speed and stability and is painted gold (which is what I don't like about that PA).

Johnnycat93... I think you're confusing the Glitter Troop Armor with the Chromium Guardsman mk 3...

Chromium Guardsman mk 3: scaled down and faster Glitter Boy with a lighter rail gun as standard, optional laser cannon... oddly enough it didn't do anything about the hand to hand vulnerability of the GB...

Glitter Troop Armor: new unit essentially an advanced exoskeleton with glitter boy inspired looks, is built for close in work.

Golden Eagle: old silver eagle with a metallic gold paint job, four wings and clawed fingers... still only has one weapon though... and it's not laser resistant.
taalismn
Priest

Johnnycat93 wrote:I appear to be the only one on the forums who actually thinks that the republicans equipment is an abomination. ABOMINATION I SAY!

No, not the only one. I'm not terribly fond of the Golden Eagle...Sure, it's agile, but having a little more throw-weight in terms of weaponry would make the Republicans a lot more hardhitting...dedicating one of those sets of extra wings to mounting mini-missile launchers like those on the Flying Titan(and it would have been simple enough to graft those on from Archie's schematic database...he DOES manufacture them, after all) would have been a wise move. And the Republican Glitterboy could have been rather more radical(like, say, grafting a NEMA rail gun under each forearm, and providing more options to the shoulder gun mount).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Cyber-Knight wrote:Well, installing extra weapons isn't a bad idea. That's why the Triax Glitter Boy's so cool. Mini-Missile Launchers, shoulder-mounter laser, and vibro-blade make for a nice addition to the Boom Gun, instead of having to rely solely on that (not to mention also being able to carry a separate rifle, as the Boom Gun's now shoulder-mounted). It's nice to have options, particularly when not every target entails blasting away with a 3d6x10 MD gun which makes a sonic boom every time it's fired and which requires the Glitter Boy to be fastened to the ground first. And a laser gun isn't a bad idea, as Glitter Boy's won't have to worry so much about friendly fire. Although if the firepower is drastically less than a Boom Gun, then yeah, that's a problem. They'd be better served just giving them a sidearm which they can fire with their left hand when they're not shooting the Boom Gun.

As for the Golden Eagle, wouldn't painting it affect the reflective quality of the chromium armor? Seems kind of pointless. I'd have to see how the extra wings look to pass judgment, but if they make the armor better...

It's likely that if the Golden Age hadn't collapsed due to the Cataclysm that resulted they'd have retooled Glitter Boys to have a better range of options but they were new enough they hadn't had time to properly use them in enough battle field conditions to recognize how best to adapt them and upgrade the original design.

The need for nearly every power armor to be flexible in a war world means even the classic Glitter Boy has to be able to handle more situations than its designers anticipated when they built it while thinking it'd be always supported by others who'd compensate for its vulnerabilities. Triax definitely did a nice job in that regard.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

I haven't read all the post so if some one else has mentioned this please forgive the repetition, According to the Revised SB 1, there are also nearly 300,000 (?) NEMA & assorted military personnel in stasis deep within the ARCHIE 3/ HQ Echo compund.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

keir451 wrote:I haven't read all the post so if some one else has mentioned this please forgive the repetition, According to the Revised SB 1, there are also nearly 300,000 (?) NEMA & assorted military personnel in stasis deep within the ARCHIE 3/ HQ Echo compund.

ROTFLMAO!!! No, you're not the first person to mention it, only difference is that every time someone mentions it an extra zero gets added to the end of that figure. So which is it?

Are there 3,000 NEMA soldiers in stasis?
Are there 30,000 NEMA soldiers in stasis?
Are there 300,000 NEMA soldiers in stasis?

Frankly, I half expect someone to come in and say "THEY'RE ALL WRONG! THERE'RE 3,000,000 NEMA SOLDIERS IN STASIS!!!1!11!" :lol:
masslegion
Explorer

Johnnycat93 wrote:
Cyber-Knight wrote:
keir451 wrote:I haven't read all the post so if some one else has mentioned this please forgive the repetition, According to the Revised SB 1, there are also nearly 300,000 (?) NEMA & assorted military personnel in stasis deep within the ARCHIE 3/ HQ Echo compund.

ROTFLMAO!!! No, you're not the first person to mention it, only difference is that every time someone mentions it an extra zero gets added to the end of that figure. So which is it?

Are there 3,000 NEMA soldiers in stasis?
Are there 30,000 NEMA soldiers in stasis?
Are there 300,000 NEMA soldiers in stasis?

Frankly, I half expect someone to come in and say "THEY'RE ALL WRONG! THERE'RE 3,000,000 NEMA SOLDIERS IN STASIS!!!1!11!" :lol:

3 trillion... DUH :roll:

The army in the HQ-ECC's stasis field total 30,000 all with next generation NEMA gear.

Actually the real number is
SB1 revised pg 118 wrote:... as 28,616 troops volunteered to go into stasis
Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

Thanks for the clarification there. :)

So why does ARCHIE-3 keep them all in stasis, anyway? Why not wake them up? Or why not kill them? Why keep them on ice?
masslegion
Explorer

Johnnycat93 wrote:3 trillion... DUH :roll:

Millions, billions, trillions:
Please no one tell the US government what comes after trillions. If they knew there were quadrillions we would be in real trouble.

edit: corrected spelling of knew
Last edited by masslegion on Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
masslegion
Explorer

Cyber-Knight wrote:Thanks for the clarification there. :)

So why does ARCHIE-3 keep them all in stasis, anyway? Why not wake them up? Or why not kill them? Why keep them on ice?

HE went mad and now feels guilty and presently he is afraid they will upset the balance of power in NA, especially considering they will probably lobotomize the malfunctioning A.I. IT is all part of a great story.

SB1 pg 116 - Archie wrote: "There is one full army of 28,616 troops and a full set of advanced body armor, energy weapons, power armor and giant robot waiting for each. If I awaken this army, it could breach the walls of Chi-town...They'll take me over or neutralize me, steal my legion of robots an build a larger Army before taking Chi-town by force....., but I've decided that would be bad for everyone."

I think it is a great little story about the long feud between Archie and the Republicans
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Cyber-Knight wrote:Thanks for the clarification there. :)

The same bad writing that created the Republican retcon in the first place. Just something tossed in that can't really be justified (like ARCHIE-3 in spite of being sentient and no longer the 'dumb' AI it once was still being hackable when it should be immune to that).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.

Return to “Rifts®”