Catatonic Strike on Xy the Old One?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Arthemus
Wanderer

Re: Catatonic Strike on Xy the Old One?

Unread post by Arthemus »

No, it wouldn't. And the mortal foolish enough to touch him and make psionic contact would be reduced to a blubbering mass of quivering, wimpering mush, constantly whispering something about "the tentacles... the tentacles......"

Just my opinion, though. Nothing official. :wink:
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

So how does someone summon Xy when he was transformed into Thoth, complete with total mindwipe?
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

grubtubs wrote:
Nightmask wrote:So how does someone summon Xy when he was transformed into Thoth, complete with total mindwipe?

Obviously, that is canon in The Book of Old Ones. The book simply serves as a guideline and I decided to use my own discretion in creating the story.

Despite all this, I'm still looking for an answer as to whether or not this would affect an Old One. :?

You're willing to re-write setting but not figure out a rule that will set no precedent and has no in game precedent? Old Ones do what they want, Xy more then others. Does he want to be affected by Catatonic Strike? Just pick.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

G.M.s have the right to create and view the rules in their own games as see fit (Kevin's view).
That being said, if you go buy the standard rules. Old Ones are even more powerful then an Alien
Intelligences and the standard is 2D4+2 master psychic. Which means making a saving throw at
10. They come with +1D4 on all saving throws. There M.E. attribute is 10+4D6. So at a minimum
they get 14. That means a possible +1 to +12 to save vs. psionics. Now that's an alien
intelligence. Back in 1st edition, Old Ones had several thousand I.S.P. Yablix I believe had 30,000.
Did separate the psychic powers back then just major or minor. Still more than likely master
psychics. So would the catatonic strike work, in theory.... :roll: yes but very unrealistic. Kind of
like taking out one of the gods with a poison apple that puts them to sleep. Unrealistic but based
on game rules...possible :roll: . Again you the G.M. make the world as you see fit. Just make
sure your players are aware of it and okay with it. Hey Carmen Bellaire had supernatural P.S.
ripping carpet of adhesion spells like their where tissue paper in his open house game. You pick up
a car and toss it and it did the same damage as a punch. So a 1000 lbs car thrown by a guy with
a P.S. of 20 did 1D4+5 :-? :?: . But it was Carmen's game and Carmen's rules. We kicked his
butt anyway.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

If you want to fight Xy as an Old One you can. GM perogative to twist canon or ignore it.

Unless you really twisted the stats or nerfed a conversion from first edition it probably doesnt matter if it worked or not so I would say let the MM have his strike.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
St. Evil
Explorer
Comment: Looking to start the Really Evil League of Evil, because the League of Evil wasn't evil enough.

Unread post by St. Evil »

See if Uncle Remus has something useful. :D
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

St. Evil wrote:See if Uncle Remus has something useful. :D

Thank you for the shameless plug, my friend... and I just MIGHT have a little something that may help stashed in a dark and dusty corner somewhere... but, there IS this thing I need, first..... :twisted:
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

grubtubs wrote:The group of heroes in my campaign are facing Xy, the Old One ( summoned by ritual ).

One player of the group, a Mind Mage, used Super Psionic Ability; Catatonic Strike.

He was able to pass the AR, and the save on behalf of Xy was unsuccessful vs Psionics.

Does a Catatonic Strike work on an Old One?

Book of Old Ones states that he is a being of flesh, and a being based on energy and magic.

So would it only affect his physical being?

Also, if he were to fall into a coma, according to the P.E. per hour conversion, he would be out cold for a day at least.
Let's see....

It took an army made up of legions so vast even Morgoth would say "damn!!" ......
....and decades? months? centuries? of warfare........
....and three of the all-time very best Mages in the Megaverse, wielding their very best magicks which haven't even come close to being duplicated or replicated before or since......

.....JUST to put them to sleep.

I would really, really, really, really rule against a single measly Psychic wielding a single psionic attack, from being able to lay low even Thoth, much less him in his fully-powered Xy form.

Some creatures just shouldn't be summoned by player characters, much less fought, unless maybe your name begins with "Lict" or "Kym-Nark....."
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 3-73 Cavalry. Leading the way! Airborne!!!
All hail CJ, Future Ruler of the Megavesre!

Unread post by PhellaOne »

grubtubs wrote:The group of heroes in my campaign are facing Xy, the Old One ( summoned by ritual ).

One player of the group, a Mind Mage, used Super Psionic Ability; Catatonic Strike.

He was able to pass the AR, and the save on behalf of Xy was unsuccessful vs Psionics.

Does a Catatonic Strike work on an Old One?

Book of Old Ones states that he is a being of flesh, and a being based on energy and magic.

So would it only affect his physical being?

Also, if he were to fall into a coma, according to the P.E. per hour conversion, he would be out cold for a day at least.

Really?! This is a serious question? :roll:
All will bow to CJ, Future Ruler of the Megaverse!

"Storytellas Studios... that's how we imagined it!"
http://www.storytellasstudios.com (I've bought and registered the domain, next is buying the servers!)
StorytellasStudios@groups.live.com for now.

Game on! Long live Palladium Books!!!
Xbox Live gamertag: xX PhellaOne Xx

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”