Julian the First

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Julian the First

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

I was reading over Juicer Uprising the other day and a thought struck me.... Julian (according to Aftermath) is far too old to be a mega-juicer anymore. The fact he's still alive (and not suffering the really horrible last call of the mega-juicer) is attributed as something of a miracle.

What if it's not?

I propose that Julian was a recipient of a phoenix chip from the UTI operation, that has then malfunctioned. Such a chip boosts the life of juicers by a few years, but after that... boom (er.. quite literally in the case of a mega).

If this were the case, then more adventuring possibilities open up. What if he's actually being controlled by the Vallax still? What if the entire juicer uprising was a front for something even more devious?

Opinions?
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Re: Julian the First

Unread post by Subjugator »

*shrug*

I treat him as a heretofore unknown Atlantean. That gives him a much longer lifespan as a Juicer of any stripe.

Hell, make him an Atlantean with a Mutants in Orbit conversion and he'd live a pretty damned long time.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Comrade Corsarius wrote:I was reading over Juicer Uprising the other day and a thought struck me.... Julian (according to Aftermath) is far too old to be a mega-juicer anymore. The fact he's still alive (and not suffering the really horrible last call of the mega-juicer) is attributed as something of a miracle.

What if it's not?

I propose that Julian was a recipient of a phoenix chip from the UTI operation, that has then malfunctioned. Such a chip boosts the life of juicers by a few years, but after that... boom (er.. quite literally in the case of a mega).

If this were the case, then more adventuring possibilities open up. What if he's actually being controlled by the Vallax still? What if the entire juicer uprising was a front for something even more devious?

Opinions?

Well, in the Aftermath fluff i've read, even Julian seems to be unsure as to why he's not dead. Could be anything.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

There are alot of gentic material floating around rifts earth its possible that his parents were partialy mutants from the rifts with an extremely human appearance.
Godly intervention.
Uti chip previusly mentioned.
Clones.
Archie robot that is programed to think himself mortal.
Ect.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Or perhaps it is just a favored NPC who the powers that be decided would not die.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Comrade Corsarius wrote:I was reading over Juicer Uprising the other day and a thought struck me.... Julian (according to Aftermath) is far too old to be a mega-juicer anymore. The fact he's still alive (and not suffering the really horrible last call of the mega-juicer) is attributed as something of a miracle.

What if it's not?

Opinions?
Read more about him in either the Siege On Tolkeen series or Rifts: Aftermath.

He never got the Phoenix Chip at all, and the reasons for his continued survival into PA 109 remain an open-ended mystery (although the authors themselves imply to the reader that he will go out in the proverbial blaze of glory [also literally in Julian's case as a Mega-Juicer] while leading refugees out of Tolkeen.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

cornholioprime wrote:

What if it's not?

Opinions?

He never got the Phoenix Chip at all, and the reasons for his continued survival into PA 109 remain an open-ended mystery (although the authors themselves imply to the reader that he will go out in the proverbial blaze of glory [also literally in Julian's case as a Mega-Juicer] while leading refugees out of Tolkeen.

I've not read anywhere that he did or did not get the phoenix chip. I'm simply proposing a reason for this continued longevity based on the information in SoT and Aftermath. I'm also proposing a further adventure idea to supplement the juicer uprising and re-introduce the Vallax aliens.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

It's not hard to imagine that the mega-juicer process triggered some latent mutation that activated the power of Longevity or Immortality in Julian allowing him to survive longer than the normal juicer. Science-fiction and comics are rife with characters who end up developing super-powers from far less than what a juicer of any variety undergoes, so Julian was just lucky enough that he had the genetics that lined up with the juicer process he underwent (just like some dragon juicers are able to actually get an extended lifespan from consuming raw dragon's blood which shouldn't be possible).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Subjugator

I think the idea is that we don't know why. Maybe he *DID* get the Vallax chip and didn't know it. Maybe he had a few gallons of Chichen Itza water. *shrug*

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Personally, I go with that he got a critical roll on the length of his juicer life. By that I mean that he's just lucked out and has lived longer than could be expected, and is likely to die at any time. Maybe his impants got jazzed by a ley line storm, or maybe they uniquely match his particular body. I'd rather keep it a mundane reason than a fantastical one. Regardless, he's a dead man walking.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Nightmask
Palladin

Mack wrote:Personally, I go with that he got a critical roll on the length of his juicer life. By that I mean that he's just lucked out and has lived longer than could be expected, and is likely to die at any time. Maybe his impants got jazzed by a ley line storm, or maybe they uniquely match his particular body. I'd rather keep it a mundane reason than a fantastical one. Regardless, he's a dead man walking.

Mack we're talking Rifts, a fantasy kitchen sink, the idea that Julian was turned into a mutant or was unknowingly a mutant before becoming a mega-juicer is just as mundane as anything else (and jazzing by a ley line storm doesn't sound particularly mundane).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

:)

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Julian is so impressive that an undisclosed deific power has tapped him and is currently testing him. They might reveal themselves to him in time, if he proves himself worthy, or he might fall short and... well... boom. ;)

EDIT: Rampant Speculation
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Gryphon wrote:Hell, he could have been a human mutant with immortality for all we know. Your only going to get to live for 10% of your projected lifespan Julian...that works out to being 800+ years or so...

a mutant with immortality has an infinite lifespan. 10% of infinity is infinity. however the mutant power of immortality comes with immunity to poisons and drugs, so the juicer conversion would not have worked period.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Gryphon wrote:Sorry, I was thinking Marvel, where you get immorality as thousands of years. Though I swear there was something similar somewhere in Palladium...the Unlimited setting maybe?

There is, and I quoted it to you. you get infinite lifespan and are immune to poisons, toxins, drugs, and radiation

Now if he had the minor power of longevity, his lifespan would be about double the healthy lifespan of a human, so he'd live for about twice as long as a normal mega juicer.
Last edited by Nekira Sudacne on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Subjugator

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Gryphon wrote:Sorry, I was thinking Marvel, where you get immorality as thousands of years. Though I swear there was something similar somewhere in Palladium...the Unlimited setting maybe?

There is, and I quoted it to you. you get infinite lifespan and are immune to poisons, toxins, drugs, and radiation

I think he's saying something with an actual lifespan but not unlimited.

IIRC, Godlings get that...50K year lifespan.

/Sub

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Subjugator wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

I think he's saying something with an actual lifespan but not unlimited.

IIRC, Godlings get that...50K year lifespan.

/Sub

He actually said he was refering to a Marvel superhero's power :)

Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Either way, I personally have a very low opinion of superpowers in Rifts. It's okay for occasional stuff, flavour text, and interesting villains, but it seems that everyone's first reaction when given a new option in Rifts is to go 'ooooh superpowers'.

For me, I like to explore non-superpowered options (magic, psi, genetics, technology, sure). If I want superpowers, I'll play HU2.

Subjugator

Nekira Sudacne wrote:He actually said he was refering to a Marvel superhero's power :)

In that same post he said the following:

Though I swear there was something similar somewhere in Palladium...the Unlimited setting maybe?

/Sub

Nightmask
Palladin

Comrade Corsarius wrote:Either way, I personally have a very low opinion of superpowers in Rifts. It's okay for occasional stuff, flavour text, and interesting villains, but it seems that everyone's first reaction when given a new option in Rifts is to go 'ooooh superpowers'.

For me, I like to explore non-superpowered options (magic, psi, genetics, technology, sure). If I want superpowers, I'll play HU2.

You've an odd idea of what constitutes a super-power if you think a spell-caster or psionic isn't super-powered. Marvel Girl/Phoenix from Marvel's main power is psionics specifically telekinesis and telepathy, you really think she isn't super-powered and is a non-super instead?

Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Comrade Corsarius wrote:Either way, I personally have a very low opinion of superpowers in Rifts. It's okay for occasional stuff, flavour text, and interesting villains, but it seems that everyone's first reaction when given a new option in Rifts is to go 'ooooh superpowers'.

*clicks like*
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Here's an equally simple and mundane explanation. He just has great genetics. Remember, the average lifespan now is around 80, but the maximum is about 115. If you multiply that 200 in Rifts by 1.5, that's 300. So that would give him 10.5 years of life instead of 7. He's well within the last call range until the middle of 110 PA.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Comrade Corsarius wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:

What if it's not?

Opinions?

I've not read anywhere that he did or did not get the phoenix chip. I'm simply proposing a reason for this continued longevity based on the information in SoT and Aftermath. I'm also proposing a further adventure idea to supplement the juicer uprising and re-introduce the Vallax aliens.
Rifts: Aftermath, page 39.

That's not Julian's opinion, that's the God's-eye view telling we the readers that he didn't get the chip.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

cornholioprime wrote:
Comrade Corsarius wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:

What if it's not?

Opinions?

That's not Julian's opinion, that's the God's-eye view telling we the readers that he didn't get the chip.

Groovy. I stand corrected. I no longer own Aftermath but if that's the case, then fair enough.

scottypotty
D-Bee

Unread post by scottypotty »

Julian might be still alive, but it's not a pleasant existence. Isn't there a short story about him somewhere explaining why he sleeps next to a body bag? Although mega-juicers don't just die, they esplode. Was he intended to be a mega juicer from the start? It's been years since I've read the Juicer Uprising or any Tolkeen.
DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by DevastationBob »

Because if he died Ricky and Bubbles would be lost.
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Or it could, theoretically, be a Dread Pirate Roberts thing. Julian The First is a title passed 'generationally', carefully planned to be a perpetual symbol that juicers can rally behind.
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

wyrmraker wrote:Or it could, theoretically, be a Dread Pirate Roberts thing. Julian The First is a title passed 'generationally', carefully planned to be a perpetual symbol that juicers can rally behind.

While the flavour text contradicts this, I heartily approve of this suggestion. If it's done right, it's ALWAYS cool. (I grew up with phantom, ghost who walks, man who cannot die. My parents are from the early 1930s and they transferred their heroes onto me).

EDIT: Now I think of it, Ace Rimmer did something similar, too. What a guy.

wyrmraker
Hero

Comrade Corsarius wrote:
wyrmraker wrote:Or it could, theoretically, be a Dread Pirate Roberts thing. Julian The First is a title passed 'generationally', carefully planned to be a perpetual symbol that juicers can rally behind.

While the flavour text contradicts this, I heartily approve of this suggestion. If it's done right, it's ALWAYS cool. (I grew up with phantom, ghost who walks, man who cannot die. My parents are from the early 1930s and they transferred their heroes onto me).

Flavor text is just that: Flavor. I never liked flavorish fluff; I prefer facts.
And yeah. I love the idea of Julian the First being a position, carefully maintained by a shadowy group of pro-Juicers. Or just something formulated by the original Julian the First (whenever the first one actually lived, or even if he was a mega-juicer) as a hugely symbolic P.R. campaign.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Or it could be that juilian the first is actualy a symboite living in the mega juicer that is actualy in charge, passed down from juicer to juicer......
SAMASzero
Explorer

Unread post by SAMASzero »

Comrade Corsarius wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:
Comrade Corsarius wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:

What if it's not?

Opinions?

Groovy. I stand corrected. I no longer own Aftermath but if that's the case, then fair enough.

Furthermore, when the Uprising first started, The general in charge panicked and hit the Kill switch, killing every chip-upgraded Juicer on the spot. Those who became Techno-zombies didn't get back up until after the Juicers captured Newtown.
Nightmask
Palladin

wyrmraker wrote:
Comrade Corsarius wrote:

Flavor text is just that: Flavor. I never liked flavorish fluff; I prefer facts.
And yeah. I love the idea of Julian the First being a position, carefully maintained by a shadowy group of pro-Juicers. Or just something formulated by the original Julian the First (whenever the first one actually lived, or even if he was a mega-juicer) as a hugely symbolic P.R. campaign.

Except it's not just 'flavor text', it's a fact that Julian The First isn't (currently) a title passed on to a succession of mega-Juicers but instead the name of a Mega-Juicer of great renown who has managed to live longer than everyone expects juicers to live.

wyrmraker
Hero

Nightmask wrote:
wyrmraker wrote:
Comrade Corsarius wrote:

Except it's not just 'flavor text', it's a fact that Julian The First isn't (currently) a title passed on to a succession of mega-Juicers but instead the name of a Mega-Juicer of great renown who has managed to live longer than everyone expects juicers to live.

I would agree with you, except that PB contradicts themselves from one book to the next, and even occasionally contradicting themselves within the same book. Flavor text references can (and have) changed radically from one book to the next, from one printing to the next.
And yeah, nobody knows why Julian isn't dead yet. Not even he himself. On the other hand, if you get a skilled mind melter, a mind bleeder, and a good hypnotist in on this, maintaining the illusion of identity wouldn't be hard.

EDIT: I am honestly surprised that Julian the First was mentioned again. The JAL has been almost completely ignored from a brief mention (frame-job) in Lone Star. PB has a tendency to ignore that which is inconvenient to their metaplots. Kind of like the 28,000 strong NEMA army in cryostasis. Never mind that they would all be dead because of the Mechanoids invading and temporarily occupying ARCHIE's hidden areas. But that portion of the logic was promptly ignored in favor of the Republicans metaplot.
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

wyrmraker wrote:
Comrade Corsarius wrote:

Curiouser and curiouser. The flavour text indicates that Julian is suffering from the aches, pains, and nosebleeds of Last Call..... REGULAR juicer last call. Mega-juicers have a very distinctive Last Call that starts with glowing red eyes, goes through to not being able to wear clothes, and ends with 'boom'.

EDIT: perhaps some sort of personality transplant that goes from juicer to juicer, calling itself 'Julian the First'?, perhaps shades of the original that a Delphi juicer has implanted into another body using a version of mind meld?

wyrmraker
Hero

Hmm. Given Julian's symptoms, his body could be entering into a unique stage of Last Call. We were never given a developmental timeline for the juicer variants, so I have always treated Mega-Juicers as a fairly new creation (within the last 20-30 years).
Consider this. He is now a 12th lvl Mega-Juicer in about year 6 or 7. How many juicers last that long? What if his shortness is a brand new kind of molecular collapse, and when he burns out he goes off with the force of a fusion bomb, as opposed to the gradual flaming burnout?
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

wyrmraker wrote:Hmm. Given Julian's symptoms, his body could be entering into a unique stage of Last Call. We were never given a developmental timeline for the juicer variants, so I have always treated Mega-Juicers as a fairly new creation (within the last 20-30 years).
Consider this. He is now a 12th lvl Mega-Juicer in about year 6 or 7. How many juicers last that long? What if his shortness is a brand new kind of molecular collapse, and when he burns out he goes off with the force of a fusion bomb, as opposed to the gradual flaming burnout?

Mega-juicers already go 'foom' doing, I believe, 4d6x10 to a reasonable radius. It's why most towns don't let them in if they're showing signs of last call.

wyrmraker
Hero

Comrade Corsarius wrote:
wyrmraker wrote:Hmm. Given Julian's symptoms, his body could be entering into a unique stage of Last Call. We were never given a developmental timeline for the juicer variants, so I have always treated Mega-Juicers as a fairly new creation (within the last 20-30 years).

Mega-juicers already go 'foom' doing, I believe, 4d6x10 to a reasonable radius. It's why most towns don't let them in if they're showing signs of last call.

You are correct. Now imagine a Legendary Mega-Juicer going ka-boom. Less like a fusion block, and more like a low-end MD nuke. Something in the lines of wiping out half of the city of Kingsdale from the concussive wavefront alone.

Return to “Rifts®”