GM Pet Peeves

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

GM Pet Peeves

Unread post by SittingBull »

Ever have the following happen to you? The group is enjoying the game and trying to figure things out; when an observer walks up to the table, and after a few, makes a comment that helps the players figure something out. I have seen this, personally, several times.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: GM Pet Peeves

Unread post by Bill »

I don't permit observers. If you attend my game, you play. I even had a four students in a college level communications course that wanted to observe our group process that I made play. I've done it to girlfriends, parents, and counseling professionals too.

My pet peeve is players that can see my plot hooks and deliberately undermine them rather than play the game that they ostensibly signed up to play. I had a guy hand over a greater rune weapon to the authorities, in contrary to his character's alignment, because he knew I'd use it as a plot device later on. I wanted to murder him.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

i keep track of the xp and since i award xp in private i penalize "schmuckiness" and for the watcher problem just say loudly "no xp will be awarded this session due to divine intervention."
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

The only real pet peeve I have as a GM... speaking in and out of character. I know it sounds nitpicky but I can't stand it when a player looks up and says "My character tells the blacksmith he wants to buy a new sword." or "My character shouts 'Die evil scum!" or "My character says..." well you get the idea by now, I hope. I really don't get annoyed enough to penalize anybody too badly for this little peeve of mine, but I really try to encourage role playing a lot with it. Remember, while you're playing the game, you ARE your character... if you want to say something to someone, just say it! If you're talking to another PC, look to the other player, address them by the character name and just say it. If you're talking to an NPC, just look at me (or whoever the GM happens to be) and talk. Now of course, if you're saying something outside of game dialogue, please specify you're out of character and say what you've got to say. Otherwise, as far as I'm concerned, if you're saying it, your character is doing the talking.
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

"have you seen my smokes......hey can i get a cigarette?" a tall cityrat with a mohawk and piercings offers up a cigarette from his bionic lefthand "menthol ok?" love it.
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

I have not been able to get my new group to take to the in character/out of character dialogue thing yet. It is kind of a peeve of mine.

As for observers, I don't allow them most of the time. If someone wants to sit in and observe (usually to figure out if they want to play) they are informed they are not to interfere.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I dont really have peeves but I have seen both those mentioned.

If I had one it would be plot/scenario killers from meta-gaming. "why dont you do this to solve the problem" from a player whose character isnt in the room.

shut up Mr. Meta-player!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

Where are you guys at that you have "Observers?" Play somewhere else... My only issue is messy character sheets/poor record keeping. example. I know they have 75,000 credits. They know they have 75,000 credits. Their sheet says 1,500 credits and a snow cone because they haven't updated it in 16 sessions of play. So guess what happens when they get to the shop... They have 1,500 credits and a damp pocket.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

MaxxSterling wrote:Where are you guys at that you have "Observers?" Play somewhere else... My only issue is messy character sheets/poor record keeping. example. I know they have 75,000 credits. They know they have 75,000 credits. Their sheet says 1,500 credits and a snow cone because they haven't updated it in 16 sessions of play. So guess what happens when they get to the shop... They have 1,500 credits and a damp pocket.

I have never seen this happen before. In all the groups I've played with, most everybody has been almost neurotic about not just keeping track of the character's personal inventory, but also recording information about things that might be useful to go back for in the future.

Personally, as a player, I always kept track of inventory in a seperate notebook since it changed so often that it would totally ruin the character sheet if I actually wrote it there.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Icefalcon
Champion

MaxxSterling wrote:Where are you guys at that you have "Observers?" Play somewhere else... My only issue is messy character sheets/poor record keeping. example. I know they have 75,000 credits. They know they have 75,000 credits. Their sheet says 1,500 credits and a snow cone because they haven't updated it in 16 sessions of play. So guess what happens when they get to the shop... They have 1,500 credits and a damp pocket.

You assume some people have another place to play.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Anyone ever get to the point as a GM where you throw up your hands and go; "I'm done. I physically can not do any more pre-wrting of material since the rest I've done to this point is 99% unused?"
Just wonderin'...
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
flatline
Knight

DhAkael wrote:Anyone ever get to the point as a GM where you throw up your hands and go; "I'm done. I physically can not do any more pre-wrting of material since the rest I've done to this point is 99% unused?"
Just wonderin'...

Why would a GM do significant planning before the PC's goals were clear?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

I personally get annoyed with players who have to question everything you as the GM says on a ruling. Had one player that did this constantly. It's okay to question if there is a definite realm of disagreement, but to constantly question every little thing gets on my nerves. Fortunately that player is no longer in our group. They were annoying everyone else as well.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

my gm kit. a random monster sheet i use the heroes unlimited book(rogue mutants) and the original rifts book supernatural predator and creature tables for this(random rift beastie) a rough draft of my goal(save princess,steal this item,kill monsters etc.) an important npc list, a map of the battle field(city, wharehouse or tunnels etc) and lots of ice coffee. i use freeform and spin as i go. ok the players are wasting my monsters so i will add an additional d6 or two to the numbers appearing. as a gm my rule has always been dont plan improvise. and of course have fun. ok my players are getting wasted by the "boss" nothing wrong with a squad of soldiers arriving at just the right time. or damn everybody died.......lets just have them wakeup in a hospital after a few week coma.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

flatline wrote:
DhAkael wrote:Anyone ever get to the point as a GM where you throw up your hands and go; "I'm done. I physically can not do any more pre-wrting of material since the rest I've done to this point is 99% unused?"
Just wonderin'...

Why would a GM do significant planning before the PC's goals were clear?

--flatline

Flatline... if you've ever read my previous posts...ANY OF THEM, you'd know I don't pre-script.
ever.
I'm talking "material".
Locations.
Toys.
OCC / RCC's.
You know "STUFF".
Prescripting is for amateurs.

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Players who can't be bothered to remember important setting details from one game to the next. In every game i've had players who won't remember either where the party is, what their goal is, who the badguy is, or where they're going to and why, if not multiple of those.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

when players quote rules. "get your &%!* and git yo"
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

say652 wrote:when players quote rules. "get your &%!* and git yo"

What's wrong with quoting rules?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

cell phones texting and the ever irritating, "sorry, what did you say?" after a texting rush of one of my players
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

1st it requires the player actually know the rules.
2nd it requires the player to know exactly how I interpret said rule.
3rd it requires the player to be respectful about the quote.

I have only ever encountered 3 players in 35 years that met all 3.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
flatline
Knight

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

I don't understand #3. What does it mean "to be respectful about the quote"?

--flatline

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

You've had quite a run of bad luck then. Most of my players remember the rules as well or better than I do.

my only issue is 2: isn't it sort of on the GM to actually let players know their house rules/interpreations so they can make plans according to their players capabilities? if I form a plan around x interpretation, it's kind of annoying when the GM lets the water get hot then springs "Oh, I don't use that rule". well thanks for letting me know BEFORE I got surrounded...

of course, that's a player pet peeve :D

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

You've had quite a run of bad luck then. Most of my players remember the rules as well or better than I do.

my only issue is 2: isn't it sort of on the GM to actually let players know their house rules/interpreations so they can make plans according to their players capabilities? if I form a plan around x interpretation, it's kind of annoying when the GM lets the water get hot then springs "Oh, I don't use that rule". well thanks for letting me know BEFORE I got surrounded...
i prefer to gm for the absolute stongest player character that a person can come up with, in this genre some times you have to bend the rules a little.
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

I don't have a problem with observers, especially since i GM my games at the local game store, plus its a rare occasion when someone asks what game we're playing...
The Dragon Has Spoken
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

say652 wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

i prefer to gm for the absolute stongest player character that a person can come up with, in this genre some times you have to bend the rules a little.

Err, did you just quote without saying anything?

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

as a gm i cater to the most powerful characters my pc's can come up with. "shut up yo, and take 5d6 damage from the magical sword you didnt dodge and i dont care if your immune to metal....IT'S MAGIC YO !"
SittingBull
Hero

I used to have a player, he was a nice guy but wow was he set in his ways, that quoted rules and expected all rules to be as printed in the book.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Icefalcon
Champion

Just wonderin'...

Been there.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

The Dark Elf wrote:I dont really have peeves but I have seen both those mentioned.

If I had one it would be plot/scenario killers from meta-gaming. "why dont you do this to solve the problem" from a player whose character isnt in the room.

shut up Mr. Meta-player!

Sorry. It's really hard to keep schtum - please dock me experience points next time. :D

Of course, sometimes I am simply helping and encouraging the inexperienced players to grow in ability by thinking about things that they might not have considered before! ;)

Serves me right for picking a naive inexperienced character to play and leaving the newbies to be the group leaders!
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
silvermoon383
Wanderer

Unread post by silvermoon383 »

Lucky wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

My biggest house rule is that the GM has final say on the rules. I've got no problem with players helping to clarify, but if I have to manipulate or suspend the rules in the books in order to maintain storyline or session continuity, I expect no argument.

That's not a houserule, that's Rule 0!
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

1) Palladium book layout. I just don't understand it.
2) Players who don't showup, cancel at the last minute
3) That one player who can't take anything seriously
4) Players who pervert alignments to the point of meaninglessness
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Icefalcon
Champion

KillWatch wrote:2) Players who don't showup, cancel at the last minute
3) That one player who can't take anything seriously

I have had to deal with both of these. They really do get annoying after a while.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

when a player calculates the "level"of the monsters and roughly determines its "hitpoints" and keeps telling you how much total damage said monster has taken and keeps asking why its not dead.
SittingBull
Hero

Amen say. Had that once I believe.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

SittingBull wrote:Amen say. Had that once I believe.

Hence the development of the "Get your $&!# and Git!"house rule.
flatline
Knight

say652 wrote:when a player calculates the "level"of the monsters and roughly determines its "hitpoints" and keeps telling you how much total damage said monster has taken and keeps asking why its not dead.

"Because I know something you don't know. Now shut up!"

I've never actually said that during a gaming session, but that would be my response in that scenario.

--flatline

KillWatch
Champion

that problem is solved by not worrying about whether or not they die. I don't like fudging in favor of the NPCs or the players.
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

running a twelfth adventure and a chiang ku disguised itself as a tattoo man. "why isnt he dead, they only have like 150mdc at 15th level, your cheating"......add whiny comment.
Icefalcon
Champion

say652 wrote:when a player calculates the "level"of the monsters and roughly determines its "hitpoints" and keeps telling you how much total damage said monster has taken and keeps asking why its not dead.

That is why always tell them they don't know everything. That's why I am the GM and they are not. :-D
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

One of my biggest pet peeves is when my cat claws my carpet.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

say652 wrote:running a twelfth adventure and a chiang ku disguised itself as a tattoo man. "why isnt he dead, they only have like 150mdc at 15th level, your cheating"......add whiny comment.

This is what always bugs me (same with my old GM) he had to politely remind the other players that even though we find these creatures, weapons, PA, etc. in handy to use books, it's not like they have them lying around in game for people to reference whenever they wanted to look something up.

Although this did spawn a campaign of it's own. My character started keeping journals on all the things he encountered (this was a Chaos Earth game). I may not know the demons MDC amount but my journal said things like - it took 7 shots from my laser rifle to kill him or appears to have a weakness to (fill in the blank).

It actually became a fun little side project for my player, so somewhere down the road I guess their would be books detailing all that and I just totally contradicted my own point :lol:
Galroth
Adventurer

Unread post by Galroth »

Just wonderin'...

One of the GM's I play with freely admits that he doesn't care where the PC's go before plot hooks are distributed. He moves the plot hook if you don't wander into the bar he originally intended you to see it at. It works, and is a rather simple solution to PC's that are hard to direct, like myself.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

I do that as well. I also tend to escalate the threat of ignored plot-hooks. If the players don't bite the first time around the situation gets more and more dire until they finally do something about it. Valuable NPCs get killed, powerful items are acquired by the bad-guys, etc.
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Game On!

Unread post by Juce734 »

Some of my pet peeves are when players don't do anything until you serve it up on a plate for them saying HEY DUMB DUMB GO THIS WAY! It's happened to me a few times.
Games: Savage Rifts, Fantasy Age, Dragon Age, Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition, Heroes Unlimited, TMNT, Ninjas and Superspies, and Rifts
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/MasterTheGameRPG (please check out)
Website: https://www.rpgjuce.com/master-the-game-rpg-link-tree
KillWatch
Champion

I don't worry about it. I let the players roam where they will. I let events unfold as they would if they don't get involved. villages get sacked, bad guys get away, or sometimes they don't and get caught without the players help. I let players follow the wrong idea, chase red herrings, explore dead ends. And then when they are done and still have no clue I might throw something organic in
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

Bill wrote:I do that as well. I also tend to escalate the threat of ignored plot-hooks. If the players don't bite the first time around the situation gets more and more dire until they finally do something about it. Valuable NPCs get killed, powerful items are acquired by the bad-guys, etc.

Me too. I normally get to the point where the players are fully aware of what the story plot hook is but are free to continue with whatever antics they are currently doing but the main story doesnt progress until the visit the next stage of the story (unless these new antics spiral into a new story themselves , which does happen).

It's kinda like playing a video game RPG but going back to previous towns or grinding a couple of levels etc.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

flatline wrote:

I've never actually said that during a gaming session, but that would be my response in that scenario.

--flatline

I usually just shrug, smile, and say, "Good question!"
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
flatline
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

That's much nicer than what I wrote. If it ever comes up, I'll use that instead.

--flatline

Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

flatline wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

That's much nicer than what I wrote. If it ever comes up, I'll use that instead.

--flatline

Similar to what my old GM's GM used to say to someone in their group,
"Why indeed?"
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

I would have the creature itself, laugh and smile and taunt the player characters- "Ha! Did you think I would be killed so easily?!"
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic

Return to “G.M.s Forum”