What would Book do you think needs a Update and Expanded.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

What would Book do you think needs a Update and Expanded.

Unread post by gaby »

Tell me What world book do you think needs a Update and Expanded
and Why do you think that way.

I think Rifts England needs it,but they must do it in two books,not one.
It lets them put much more info.
kaid
Knight

Re: What would Book do you think needs a Update and Expanded.

Unread post by kaid »

I would say probably rifts africa and the biggest one is rifts Australia. When the book states over and over all this important info will come in another book that never came it makes the one book that did get completed very frustrating. Better that it was revised to take out all mention of the books that never came and tweak it a smidge to make it stand alone better.
The Jack
Wanderer
Comment: Pumpkin King, Pirate Captain, Giant Killer, Frost Spirit, In the Box

Unread post by The Jack »

From the entire Megaverse: Ninjas & Superspies. By an enormous margin. This was the first Palladium system I played and I would love for this book to be brought up to date and in line with the rest of the Megaverse (insofar as they are actually in line with each other, anyways).

Out of the Rifts books, I would agree with England with regard to any book that has a remote chance of being expanded or updated.

My number one fantasy draft pick (which has zero chance of happening) for Rifts books would be to have China and Japan updated and expanded to reflect the N&S/Mystic China Chi system. The settings are well written, and have such a rich and colorful history, but their abuse of Chi is such an utter mess and unnecessary departure from the original system it makes them almost unplayable for me.

ETA: I will leave my post as written, but I apologize for misreading the question initially. I skimmed right over the part that said "world book".
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Psyscape
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

africa. it's an entire continent, a large portion of the book was dedicated to the apocalypse demons (now gone for 10,000 years or something like that, so probably not a concern in most people's games), the only actual nation we know anything about (the phoenix empire) is barely even described at all and only covers a tiny portion of the area... and the fact that a huge portion of the continent is covered in jungle was not even mentioned, let alone described.

i'm not going to say that none of the other areas of the world could use an update, but i will say that i think africa is the one that needs it the most, because right now the whole continent is pretty much just one big question mark.
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

gaby wrote:Tell me What world book do you think needs a Update and Expanded
and Why do you think that way.

I think Rifts England needs it,but they must do it in two books,not one.
It lets them put much more info.

Agreed, Rifts England desperately needs updating and expansion.
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Psyscape followed by Canada... though with the latter I'd settle for a headhunter source book.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Shark_Force wrote:africa. it's an entire continent, a large portion of the book was dedicated to the apocalypse demons (now gone for 10,000 years or something like that, so probably not a concern in most people's games), the only actual nation we know anything about (the phoenix empire) is barely even described at all and only covers a tiny portion of the area... and the fact that a huge portion of the continent is covered in jungle was not even mentioned, let alone described.

i'm not going to say that none of the other areas of the world could use an update, but i will say that i think africa is the one that needs it the most, because right now the whole continent is pretty much just one big question mark.

Yup this is my reason for saying africa. At least england had some stuff about england in it. The rifts africa book after all the horsemen and OCC's barely even touched on actual world information about africa. Africa has tons of interesting potential things you could do with it but when you lose about half the size of the book on the four horsemen there just wasn't space to really flesh anything out.

The pheonix empire stuff was interesting and probably was the best and most useful thing about the book. The sad thing is Africa is in its own way almost more unfinished than australia is. At least Australia covered a few major cities in good detail and enough about the world around it where you at least have the world info for a GM to work with to flesh it out and make it work. Africa basically gives you 4 big bads a handful of OCC's and the pheonix empire.
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

That depends on how you mean updated and expanded. If you mean revised books such as Converson Book One and the Vampire Kingdoms then I would have to very firmly say that the following books need to be updated or exanded.

NONE OF THEM!

No book should ever be updated like that ever again.

If on the other hand you're talking about new books that expand existing areas in the way that China 2 did, then I have a list.

Japan
Lazlo
Coalition Territory
Europe
England
Africa
Orbit (This is one book where I'd actually be quite happy to see a total rewrite and retcon. Just pretend it was only an After the Bomb supplement and start Rifts Orbit from scratch. But still no desire to see it cut and pasted into a new book).
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Slight001 wrote:Psyscape followed by Canada... though with the latter I'd settle for a headhunter source book.

I think Canada was a pretty good book it is mostly an overview type book though. The CS books cover iron heart and free quebec covers most of the far eastern part of canada reasonably well and the New west also helps touch on the central parts of canada pretty well. Given the next demon/devil war book is likely centering on the calgary rift or originating from there canada is pretty well fleshed out compared to just about anywhere in rifts earth you can name.

Psyscape I can sort of see but the book covers that city and its threat pretty well. Not really sure what they could do with it other than maybe bringing the OCC's up to RUE standards.

As for a head hunter source book I think canada combined with the RUE revamp and the upcoming NG1 NG2 should pretty well finish fleshing them out.

Still if I had any wish to put onto the palladium to do list it is

LAZLO seriously this has been one of the key "good" places since the game came out it is a crying shame that it has not had a source book put out for it yet plus we magic gets far less additions than tech stuff does and after NG1 and NG2 a nice Lazlo book would be an awesome addition. Put it up for a kick starter and I will throw money at my screen so hard it will fly through it and come out into a big money hat for the palladium guys.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Atlantis. My very favorite world book.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
nilgravity
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by nilgravity »

Lone Star but I only say that because someone suggested my Lone Star thread would be good material for an update http://www.palladium-megaverse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=135130
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

None; maybe an eratta list (given for free in the 'Cutting room floor' section) giving update notes to the OCC's in previous books.
Otherwise I'd rather resources be given to recyling the usless mini-me "manga sized for your inconvienence" Hobotech books to full sized (and complete) 8.5X11 inches, and getting promissed NEW content out on time. :badbad: :frust: :thwak:
Like the NG books or 'Megaverse in flames'.
We really didn't need the sparkly blood-suckers re-done.
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

I'm on team None. Write new books. Put out sequels and sourcebooks. Don't don't waste ink on rewrites that are disappointing.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

england 2 please
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Not a world book, but I want to see a sequal to Wormwood that finishes fleshing out the setting.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Zamion138
Hero

flatline wrote:Not a world book, but I want to see a sequal to Wormwood that finishes fleshing out the setting.

--flatline

This too....probaly more than england 2
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I agree with the crowd that says: None. Put the effort into new books, but quit with the revised and expanded editions to bring a given region up to date. Though I will admit some books do have "reprinted" information that isn't necessary given more recent books, the effort should be on new books not R&E.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

kaid wrote:
Slight001 wrote:Psyscape followed by Canada... though with the latter I'd settle for a headhunter source book.

Psyscape I can sort of see but the book covers that city and its threat pretty well. Not really sure what they could do with it other than maybe bringing the OCC's up to RUE standards.

Actually, the CITY of psyscape is the least-covered portion of the book.
No maps.
No indication what kind of governemnt it has.
Nothing about the economy.
Nothing about local technology.
No list of prominent NPCs.
Virtually nothing.

It works really well as a psychic handbook/sourcebook... but as far as filling us in on the actual region of Psyscape, there's very, very little.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

kaid wrote:As for a head hunter source book I think canada combined with the RUE revamp and the upcoming NG1 NG2 should pretty well finish fleshing them out.

Who said I was concerned about them being fleshed out? I want the O.C.C.'s updated... most are fine (the Brutal Killer must be given the praise it gets...) the Momano, however, is crap. I know I've said I liked them in the past... however, at the time I had no idea I'd been playing a house ruled version. The actual printed version, mine is 1st printing (IE something might have changed since my copy was printed), is little more then a joke. No one (well I'm sure someone would...) in their right mind would wast their time rolling up a mind-melter Momano because in doing so they'd be defeating the very reason they became a Momano.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

If using RUE as the standard...none.

So the 1st book needing updating and correcting the stuff that is wrong is RUE.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:If using RUE as the standard...none.

Just curious (and I don't necessarily disagree about RUE needing stuff fixed), but what do you think is wrong with it?
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
kaid wrote:

No maps.
Virtually nothing.

It works really well as a psychic handbook/sourcebook... but as far as filling us in on the actual region of Psyscape, there's very, very little.

Damn right. Hmm, I'd like to see a book that presents some islands and particular cities in Asia perhaps in some detail, maybe have a city book or two.. just like you can have a travel guide on Tokyo and one on Japan.. Something like Mindwerks.
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

All of them. Take the 15+ years of good suggestions, take the good info from the Rifters and redo every book, but hire a staff & couple editors and put out a true Rifts 2nd Edition with all the issues addressed for all books and actually fix the problems instead of putting out a book that just copies and pastes 40 pages of previous information.
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
kaid wrote:

No maps.
Virtually nothing.

I was going to say Atlantis, but I now agree that Psyscape needs definition.

BIG TIME.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Cybermancer wrote:

Just curious (and I don't necessarily disagree about RUE needing stuff fixed), but what do you think is wrong with it?

The G.I. Joe rule.
The listing of PCC's as OCC's. (i.e.: listing psychic char types as JOBS which they are not. If they wanted to make a genale type of class lable they could of just gone with Char Class (CC) But calling something that is the nature of the char or is a racial "way of life" of the char is just a :crane: job is just stupid. :roll: )
The nerfing the already nerfed modern weapons bonuses.
The omitting the text about how to draw PPE out of a unknowing person from the text about "other sources of PPE".

Are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Warlords of Russia new shock trooper types, more man at arms occ's with autododge etc. more russian badassery!!!!
Galroth
Adventurer

Unread post by Galroth »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Cybermancer wrote:

The G.I. Joe rule.
The listing of PCC's as OCC's. (i.e.: listing psychic char types as JOBS which they are not. If they wanted to make a genale type of class lable they could of just gone with Char Class (CC) But calling something that is the nature of the char or is a racial "way of life" of the char is just a :crane: job is just stupid. :roll: )
The nerfing the already nerfed modern weapons bonuses.
The omitting the text about how to draw PPE out of a unknowing person from the text about "other sources of PPE".

Are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I'd add the missing text about increase in magic damage/range when on a Ley Line or at a Nexus point.
Zamion138
Hero

I would love to see the book of modern weapons completly overhualed and updated...... it have so many many things i disagre with
the russian weapons as an example , the krinkov(AkSU74) does 1d6 sdc and the ak does 5d6 and the akm does 3d6......they are near identical. the akm and the ak47 are near identical weapons the krinkov i could see doing less but not practicly 4d6 less. also an ak47 in 5.45 is an AK74.
a 7.62x25 round does not do the same amount of damedge as a .22 mag it does alot more and has the pentration of an m4 practicly.
it goes on for ever but you get my drift, also the listing of the cycle rates and stuff while interesting would be better if put in melle actions/rounds instead of per minute.
alot of the weapons are just so so far from reality its hard to use that book..thats something I would love to see re written completly.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Psyscape remove the PCC and psionic powers to give more info on City.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Orbit, properly synched with both Rifts and properly detailed Chaos Earth.

Granted, Chaos Earth is supposed to be a separate continuity, but let's be honest in that nobody really treats it as such
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

say652 wrote:Warlords of Russia new shock trooper types, more man at arms occ's with autododge etc. more russian badassery!!!!

I know somebody was talking about writing a Sovietski source book to add in some more russian badassery.
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

Need? South America 2, to fix the Silver River Republics!
Want? Free Quebec, because I would love to see more about this Power.
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
SmilingJack
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by SmilingJack »

I would really Like to see the coalition war campaign updated,

I love the book so much and just think adding more content: Mecha , weapons, occs, info on the war would just take the book from being great to being a book you can't go without
~ Love Conquers All ~
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Nice Ice Pirates reference.. gotta be fairly obscure nowadays :)
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

By updated, do you mean a magical, what if all our wishes came true re-do of an old book, or what actually comes out? Because if you have seen Sourcebook 1: Revised, I can't believe you would ever want another book 'Re-Done'. Just pages and pages of direct re-prints with what looks like photocopied pictures from the first one, in terrible quality and re-sized, including full page black and whites of previous book covers (which are just shockingly bad).
After seeing this, and assuming that's how all the newly 're-done' Ultimate Edition books are going to be, I can't believe anyone wants this trend to continue. Palladium has released, what, the first Sourcebook:Revised, and now Vampire Kingdoms:Revised for R:UE? They have been making Rifts books for how long, and the Ultimate Edition has been out for how many years? It would take the rest of our natural lives for all of the books that ALREADY EXIST to be re-done!
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well I think thers some books just need to be expanded too a second or ever a third book,where they can put the info missing from the first.

I like to see Free Qubec2,Psyscape2,Japan2 and England2.
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

Also not a world book

Give us more info on the fricken orbital communities........it is so.............incomplete
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
Baron mugwort
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Baron mugwort »

Books, Ninjas and Superspies needs updating and fitting in with current system.

I would really like to see more info on the Titans (giants from PFRPG) because they are supposed to be the greatest heroes and adventurers of all time but then there is literally bugger all info on them.

Actually I would like to see a new giants book because I feel that compared to other D-Bees they are woefully underpowered.
"Baron Mugwort, I think you are the official representative of the intrests of Giants in Rifts. Its a great job (full benefits!)." Argos.

http://www.kingsofrpg.com For all things RPG!
Contribute to the website with your own RPG advice, stories and adventures! barnonmugwort@ding-irl.com
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Chronicle wrote:Also not a world book

Give us more info on the fricken orbital communities........it is so.............incomplete

LOL; mind you, since it seems KS is so bound & determined to keep people from Rifs Terra ignorant mudslugs (and really; it's just blatant plot-block now...) it's never gonna be updated / published. :nh: He'd prolly have the CS take over anyways, so you'd have Ameriacn Nazi's... IN SPACE, as well as North Am.
Besides, it's been so danged long, I've built up the Orbitals (and Rifts Terra's relationship with the top-siders) beyond anything Kev or his posse could even dream of doing, so anything that does get published would fall far short of what I have in my Binder of doom notes. :D

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

England 2 (There is no way there is not one Tech enclave in England anywhere)

Australia 2 (Too big not get more fleshing out)

Canada 2 (same as Australia)

Africa 2 (could be done a small sourcebook ala Shemarrian Nation dealing with various African tribes/animals/monsters maybe)

Each CS State (as small sourcebook again ala Shemarrian Nation)

Japan 2 (Because one book could not have held all the awesomeness that was)

A more generic Europe (We know plenty about the NGR and gargoyles but not much else really)

Psyscape 2 (Again maybe a small sourcebook ala Shemarrian Nation detailing the city itself and maybe adding some of hte new Psychic classes found in the Rifter)

Full blown new books I'd like to see before anything of the above:

Golden Age Weaponsmiths

Lazlo

New Navy (Barely touched on really in Underseas)
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

Although they aren't Rifts, ALL of the ATB supplements really need some attention. Road Hogs is one of my favorite settings.

Return to “Rifts®”